• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY005: Gym Leader Viola Appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: XY00? Ash VS Viola?

Evolutions really don't matter. Torterra was fully evolved, and beat...Team Rocket. Each of his teams (well, maybe not Unova but evolution is not the problem) proved they're strong in their own right.

Johto's real problem was the lack of development the team got. I mean they played backup to the Kanto guys for nearly most of the non filler events. The team also got kinda stale with the fact that none of them evolved. They were good but the treatment they got wasn't.

I thought Pidgeot was Ash's best bird.

I wanted Ash to get all 3 starters, but seeing as he's getting Fletchling/Talonflame (unless Fletchling is a split evolution Pokemon, which I doubt), that kinda puts a damper on Fennekin :(

I would say Pidgeot was his best but it never really got any real battle to show his worthiness of that title especially since he was released immediately after he evolved.

How can Pidgeot be his best when he never got to use it? There's no real way to judge it; I'd say the title of best unflinchingly belongs to Swellow or Staraptor.

How can Pidgeot be his best when he never got to use it? There's no real way to judge it; I'd say the title of best unflinchingly belongs to Swellow or Staraptor.

I didn't even call him the best in fact I clearly stated why he wasn't the best in my post.

I'm excited that Ash is going to get Froakie. And that scene of Fennekin blushing was soooo cute. And was it just me or did Ash look a lot older??

I'm excited that Ash is going to get Froakie. And that scene of Fennekin blushing was soooo cute. And was it just me or did Ash look a lot older??

Trust me everyone thinks that. xD Though sadly the fact that XY starts literally 1 day after BW ends in the anime world seems to hint that he is still 10.

Whether the series hired new storyboard artists, or the current ones stepped up their game, the Viola battle looks incredible. I love the use of dynamic camera angles and the background actually moving along with the Pokémon's movement. I really hope that this type of battle visuals stays throughout the series and isn't just for, say, Flying-type Pokémon.

Hey now, Swellow kicked ass lol.

Don't forget Staraptor. While Starly didn't get too many early wins, Staraptor was able to beat Paul's Honchkrow right after evolving, and had some other impressive wins under his belt even as just a Staravia, such as Maylene's Machoke and Meditite, and Paul's Weavile. Plus he had Close Combat and a major power move, so he fared very well.

Anyway, this is getting interesting. Smooth, crisp animation, no flashy stock footage plaguing the battle, and some nice extra touches (like loosing some feathers). And it makes me wonder if Fletchling will evolve during this Gym Battle. Like @Ampharos King; said, it didn't sound like any of the known Japanese Pokemon names Ash stated during the battle. Could it be possible that Fletchling will evolve in a last-ditch attempt to win? And, knowing how sudden-evolution-during-battles work, if that's the case, it'll probably end up as a come back from behind win. Things are getting good. I'm really eager now. It just can't come soon enough.

While I do find Staraptor to be strong, his performance against Nando left a really bad taste in my mouth. Swellow on the other hand kicked ass in pretty much every battle he was in and did so with the bare minimum in terms of moves.

Staraptor did too but those two were special cases. xD Swellow only really suffered from a poor moveset. The best bird was Staraptor overall. Though if handled right I can see Talonflame surpassing its predecessors.

I gotta disagree here. I found that Swellow was the best bird overall. While a good move sey is great, it's what you do with the moves that matters. Swellow was a complete beats in that respect.

I think Staraptor was too fragile for his own good.

Whether the series hired new storyboard artists, or the current ones stepped up their game, the Viola battle looks incredible. I love the use of dynamic camera angles and the background actually moving along with the Pokémon's movement. I really hope that this type of battle visuals stays throughout the series and isn't just for, say, Flying-type Pokémon.
So I'm not the only one who noticed it? :D

I love the dynamic camera movement. I can't remember if it was like that in Best Wishes, but seriously, it all looks so good. I'm actually looking forward to this gym battle, it looks sweet. And I love their attention on the details.

Don't forget Staraptor. While Starly didn't get too many early wins, Staraptor was able to beat Paul's Honchkrow right after evolving, and had some other impressive wins under his belt even as just a Staravia, such as Maylene's Machoke and Meditite, and Paul's Weavile. Plus he had Close Combat and a major power move, so he fared very well.

Anyway, this is getting interesting. Smooth, crisp animation, no flashy stock footage plaguing the battle, and some nice extra touches (like loosing some feathers). And it makes me wonder if Fletchling will evolve during this Gym Battle. Like @Ampharos King; said, it didn't sound like any of the known Japanese Pokemon names Ash stated during the battle. Could it be possible that Fletchling will evolve in a last-ditch attempt to win? And, knowing how sudden-evolution-during-battles work, if that's the case, it'll probably end up as a come back from behind win. Things are getting good. I'm really eager now. It just can't come soon enough.

I wonder what other Pokémon Viola will be using then, unless they are making of their fight another Ash vs Roxie.

Ash definitely didn't say Pikachu, any of the starters (Harimaron, Fokko, Keromatsu), or Fletchling (Yayakoma), when he told his pokemon "not to give up."

The pokemon's name sounds similar to Faiaro, but it's not exactly the same. The last part of the name is "aro," so it might be Fletchling's intermediate form, if one exists.

This would be awesome!! My main complaint for the gym was that Fletchling was too tiny to beat Vivillion. If he evolves, becomes a fire type, and learns Flame Charge this gym would be amazing. Plus since the gym seems to be soon, it would give Ash a fire type early enough where he wouldn't need to catch another one.

I love the dynamic camera movement. I can't remember if it was like that in Best Wishes, but seriously, it all looks so good. I'm actually looking forward to this gym battle, it looks sweet. And I love their attention on the details.

The dynamic camera movement is something they were showing since the first trailer, but it became more blatant with the battles showcasing them. Lack of flashy background, nice angles during attacks, I must say they have upped their game by quite a bit. But the pessimist in me wonders, how much extra effort or cost does this bring in? Will they be able to maintain this quality for all fifty episodes a year? It is difficult, I can say that for sure. But I don't know 'how' difficult because my knowledge on animations is nada.

But the pessimist in me wonders, how much extra effort or cost does this bring in? Will they be able to maintain this quality for all fifty episodes a year? It is difficult, I can say that for sure. But I don't know 'how' difficult because my knowledge on animations is nada.
Yeah, I really wonder if they'll keep this up. I mean, they started putting nails on people and they even went as for to color Alexa's nails and make it obvious to us. Perhaps they got a higher budget? I really hope the lack of stock/flashy background is a part of this new style.

Fletchling, Froakie. Two Kalos mons confirmed for Ash. If we add on Pika, we have half Ashs Kalos team(if they do not use rotation again). Anyway my tip is that Viola and Ash will be a 3vs3 battle. Ash will probably only have Fletchling, Froakie And Pikachu and Viola will use unrevealed pokemon too. I can not wait!

I don't remember Best Wishes ever looking good. Like, seriously, the backgrounds were pretty and all, but I noticed there seemed to be way more stock-footage used than ever before (watch the Burgh Battle to really see this), and none of the battles stick out in my mind as being particularly great looking. Even the initial episodes, where usually a big part of the budget in most shows is poured into, weren't that visually impressive. I always joked it was because the CG Best Wishes OP killed their budget. :)

But yes, there is no doubt that the animation won't be like this through the whole run, but at the very least I'm hoping they get a bit more creative in how they animate the show. Best Wishes was way, way too sterile for me.

Obviously, that car product placement they did during Garchomp's rampage netted them quite a lot of money to add to their animation budget. :p

I gotta disagree here. I found that Swellow was the best bird overall. While a good move sey is great, it's what you do with the moves that matters. Swellow was a complete beats in that respect.

Without a good moveset Swellow can't be the best and honestly quite a few of his accomplishments smelled of DEM. Stararptor was inconsistent with his defenses tanking millions of hits one episode and losing fast in the next but Stararptor was also much more realistic in it's capabilities then Swellow was.

But I don't care about any of those two their time is done I'm looking forward to Fletchling but I'm kinda mixed about whether I want it evolving to get a Gym Win.

I'm sure that luster purge has permanently fried swellow's plot armor. Now he can fight for third place with unfezant.

I fully expect Ash to lose vs viola because his team is 3 unevolved newbies.

Evolution means nothing in Pokémon.

Ash has his Fletchling that can easily lead Ash and his team into victory.

Evolution means nothing in Pokémon.

Ash has his Fletchling that can easily lead Ash and his team into victory.

They do mean something. It has been showed many times in the show that evolved Pokemon have naturally better strength, and any Pokemon Ash doesn't evolve is simply because he doesn't like forcing them. If evolution means nothing, then Ash wouldn't fangasm everytime a Pokemon evolves and the evolved Pokemon wouldn't rescue his butt. [Looks at Burgh's gym, Clay's Gym, Skyla's gym]

It means something. Yeah I know you were replying to him in a different context, but I like to point out that your statement is wrong. Huehue

Without a good moveset Swellow can't be the best and honestly quite a few of his accomplishments smelled of DEM. Stararptor was inconsistent with his defenses tanking millions of hits one episode and losing fast in the next but Stararptor was also much more realistic in it's capabilities then Swellow was.

But I don't care about any of those two their time is done I'm looking forward to Fletchling but I'm kinda mixed about whether I want it evolving to get a Gym Win.

I'm sorry?? Since when is a good move set needed to be the best?? Lots of Ash's pokemon have terrible move sets and are seen as powerhouses. Guts was treated differently back then which is why Swellow had much more endurance then Ash's other birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom