• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY005: The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!

Adamant said:
The subtitles that float around "translate" Pansy's
あら 油断は禁物。 今度 対戦するときは たぶん あなたも びっくりするわよ。 サトシ君は そういう子よ。
as
I think he was unprepared. You might be surprised this next time. I'm going to check on Satoshi-kun.

My God, that's worse than some of the Pocket Monsters The Origin fansubs I've come across. Why do people with what is obviously a very basic understanding of the language at best think that it's OK to put out "translations" like these?

(and an *actual* translation, for those of you who are curious, would be "Ah, you can't allow yourself to let your guard down. I think you might be in for a real surprise the next time the two of you battle. That's just the kind of person Satoshi-kun is.")

Then I'm glad to know I'm actually following a reliable sub group in that case. Well, at least that particular line was translated correctly.
I study japanese but I'm on the end of my first semester so I can't really tell all the mistakes just from hearing (or reading since I can't read kanji at all...)

Then I'm glad to know I'm actually following a reliable sub group in that case. Well, at least that particular line was translated correctly.
I study japanese but I'm on the end of my first semester so I can't really tell all the mistakes just from hearing (or reading since I can't read kanji at all...)

I'm not sure who you're following, but the only subs currently out for XY5 are the painfully bad ones being referenced here.

The ones I follow have one serious problem that can get very annoying, but other than that the actual translations are fine.

Wow, lots going on in this episode. Nice intro scenes, Ash's line at the fountain reminded me of Gurren Lagann, haha. It looks like they're saving his rely-on-luck thing for when he's over-excited now, they've really gotten his characterization back on track. Clemont and Bonnie continue to be hilarious with their gags. I was really impressed with Viola's strategy, especially using the webs to trap Fletchling. Ash's loss didn't seem cheap at all to me, Viola is just a kickass battler. The quiet scene outside after the battle was great - everything is seeming much more cinematic in this series, in the pacing as well as the animation. Loved the cliffhanger ending, can't wait to see how Ash responds to Serena's question.

I felt bad for Serena in this episode. She really was trying to speak privately with him, but no luck so far.

The battle scenes were amazing. It kind of sucks to see Satoshi losing in his first proper battle in Kalos, but the amazing animation makes for it.

Also, Viola's team is absurdly boring, but at least the writers are respecting the games in this aspect.

I am gonna watch the next one later, but I am pretty hyped to see how Satoshi will manage to beat Viola's team in the rematch.

Lastly, Serena's Fokko is SO cute!

You know, I finally noticed something about Alexa. Is it just me, or is it kind of unusual to see a character in the anime with nail polish? Unusual from an animation standpoint, that is. I know she first appeared in BW, but I think it's a neat little representation of the improvements to the animation of the series these days.

Serena's excitement over meeting Ash and then shyness when she finally did was so cute. XD

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom