• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY005: The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!

Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Looks like the animators changed Signal Beam to resemble its Gen V game appearance.

Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Can we all agree Serena is so relatable when it come to crushes of our own?

This battle sucked.

It was too short and ash was just murdered by viola. He never even stood a chance. If paul hasn't already killed himself from the events of unova his mortality rate for kalos has just shot up.

Huh....how did Serena even know Ash was in the gym?

You guys don't think she's gonna end up being like....

yuno_gasai___assembly_by_solci_chan-d513qft.png

....Nah...

Anyway, the episode was pretty good. An understandable loss for Ash, if you ask me. Viola used really good strategies. Looks like Clemont and Bonnie are gonna be the comedy duo of this group. Good thing, because the physical humor of Best Wishes (Ash getting knocked into a pool by Bianca) never really worked.

Haha... if Serena ended up being a yandere like Gasai Yuno... creepy! Best season ever... if that'd happen! lol...She probably knew because of the professor's information about him just starting to collect badges.

Well even Paul almost lost to Roark in his first Sinnoh gym battle, the only reason he did not was he would not accept a loss from his pokemon Ash has no problem with that if they give their best.

I must be one of the few people that found Ash's defeat to be reasonable. Viola had some clever strategy, we all know Pikachu's greatest power is his speed, so covering the field on ice and taking it away from him is actually very smart, remember Surskit, being a skater, doesn't play by the same rules. And using the previously shot webs to trap Fletchling was a move that caught me off-guard.
We all know Pikachu is never going to enter a new region as an invincible killing machine, so I think we all should stop expecting it already. His defeat wasn't even a bad one, he was taken out with smarts. And, I for one, approve of Ash creating counter-strategies, so let's go with it.
Another good point was the fact Team Rocket didn't made a pointless appearence during an important event. Ash's struggle with the Viola problem wouldn't have the same effect if they had interrupted today. It was my one my biggest criticisms towards them and it seems the writers finally learned when they should write them in an episode or not. A score for them, this way they will not harm important events and will not go stale too soon.
As for now, I wait for next week to see more of Serena, who was left hanging.

I think I spotted something that will be censored when translated and it hasn't appeared since the episode with Lorelei/Prima. Hint: Look at the scene when Ash's and Viola's battle is about to begin, more precisely at the shot with Clemont, Bonnie and Alexa.

Anyway, it was a good episode and I found the battle between Ash and Viola to be good, even though he lost. He was obviously taken by surprise by the strategy used by Viola with both Ice Beam on the field and the Sticky Web. No doubt she used that last move so it could be used later in Vivilion's and Fletchling's battle, which decided the outcome of the battle. If I'm going to compare this gym battle with the other, first gym battles Ash had in each region in the past, then I would say that Viola has the greatest strategic mindset above the others. She was pretty much in control of the battle in its full duration, the exception being Surskit vs Fletchling. She'll be a tough nut to crack for Ash in the next episode, even with the training. That much I'm certain about.

Bonnie is basically anti-Max in this series (I can imagine his headache if they ever meet XD) and I found everyone's reaction to be funny. Serena finally joins the group at last, after 5 record-breaking episodes. All I'm gonna say is that some shippers might need a defibrillator after watching this episode.

Really liked this episode.

Why is it that with each episode I love Clemont and Bonnie more and more? Clemont is so adorable with his slow running and falling on the ground. And Bonnie asking Viola to marry Clemont and speaking French. So cute!

And Serena. Finally she meets up with these guys! I didn't expect her to be so nervous around Ash, though. I wonder if he'll remember her. I doubt it, but we'll have to wait and see.

Now for the battle. I thought it was good. I would have hoped to see Pikachu do more against Surskit before going down, but he put up an okay fight nonetheless. It was also great to see Fletchling get a win.

Also, I'm SOOOOOO glad that Team Rocket didn't show up!

Can't wait for the rematch next week and Ash's answer for Serena. Great episode overall 9/10.

Huh....how did Serena even know Ash was in the gym?

In XY003, Professor Sycamore tells her that Ash left to challenge the Santalune City Gym, I think.

Anyway, pretty good episode. 8/10
Nice that Serena finally caught up with Ash.
Bonnie's gag of finding a wife for Clemont was pretty funny.

Nice episode

1. Bonnie used French expressions - it's a minor note, but I found it amusing they actually used the French word to remind us they're in PokeFrance.
While we may have to watch more episodes, it seems Bonnie wants to choose ladies who are confident and proud of their jobs. (Like how Viola is an excellent photographer). My guess is Citron has confidence issues, and Bonnie thinks a confident girlfriend may help his self-esteem?

That, or Bonnie just wants Citron to get a girlfriend whoever SHE likes XDD btw, Clemont getting flustered and embarrassed over Bonnie's actions was very cute :D

2. Ash lost the first match, but he didn't lose it like a noob. He had the type advantages in mind instead of pointlessly throwing in a pokemon just because he 'believes'. Also, I like how part of the reason Ash lost is due to the gym terrain getting ice'd over and sticky'd.

3. I understand how it must be exciting for Serena to finally having met her old friend, but I can't help but get shipping vibes from her. Especially that last moment when she asks Ash if he remembers her, and the screen turns reddish for dramatic effect. It would be pretty cute if she had a childhood crush on Ash :D

Good to see Team Rocket absent in this episode, as they weren't necessary (and the episodes they were in so far have been great in their relevance to what is going on, so how they are using them is just win-win). Serena really must have kicked it into high gear going through that forest to catch up in the middle of the gym battle, I assumed she would show up after the loss while Ash was training for the rematch since she had so much ground to cover. Anyway, the gym battle was amazing. I don't even mind Ash losing, because it wasn't like he was making any foolish decisions, it's just Viola is leagues better than she is in the games. Icing the field and setting up Sticky Web for later were brilliant, I love seeing the Gym Leaders being so strategic. I also really love the way Ash is training them to resist Gust, while jumping in to catch them himself each time they fail. Such a caring guy, I really like Ash.

I like how people(i think) mentioned that the terrain was altered most gym leaders up to know have not done this against Ash most have just used a certain set terrain, except for Juan in Sootopolis, this is major because it shows that ash lost against seasoned gym leader with rare smarts, Ash did not expect that and was crushed because he did not expect it.

Why do I have the feeling they're going to play the 'dimwitted Ash' card and start the next episode by saying he doesn't remember Serena? That would be such a kick in the teeth...

They're still doing the ol' "meet the gym leader before knowing they're the gym leader" routine i see. At least this time it was subtle and quick.

Glad that Ash lost in fairly believable manner. Pikachu never landed an electric attack on Surskit, only an Iron Tail - which doesn't have as much effect on a Water-type - and Fletchling took quite a beating before going down. Not to mention Viola freezing the battlefield to her advantage.

I have to say that Serena's asking Ash if he remembers her was a good way to end the episode, to keep the suspension until the next episode.

Serena finally joins the group at last, after 5 record-breaking episodes.
Brock also joined Ash five episodes in his journey, and Cilan didn't join him until six episodes in BW, actually.

I'm gonna go with no, Ash doesn't remember her. No reason for Ash to introduce himself if it was to someone he knows already.

I’ll start off on what I liked about this episode, Viola, Alexa, Bonnie and the battle rocked this episode in many areas for me. Alexa, I found pretty humdrum in all of Da! but she’s become much better in XY so far. It seems like she has more a personality and spice about herself in-general, back in the first episode her facial expressions and reactions to Ash getting worked up over Viola not being present, her watching the battle with so much fire, the discussion she had with her sister on Ash and the training she’s helping him continue to forego with. She just held overall more of a presence regularly in an episode outside of her little exposition with Gogoat back in Da! That’s a good thing, I hope this is some type of small foreshadowing of her at least battling Viola in the first as well. It’s like watching her sister awakened something within herself.

Viola was fierce, she was a nicely characterized gym leader and I liked all her camera-laced dialogue(focus Signal Beam!, shutter chance!) and I’m glad they didn’t neglect that aspect of her from the games. She was fiery during the battle, it was a fun battle to watch from her side because she was quite to the tactician and fun to watch, I really mean that. I found myself rooting for her than Ash at times. She’s definitely the type of chick who utilizes brutal conventions conventions and tactics to unsettle her opponents in combat and mercilessly goes in for the kill when her opponents are immobilized. I enjoyed every minute of it what she did, even the camera hands she made before the final shot Solar Beam. Was awesome and she looked so strong alongside her Bug Pokemon.

Can we just have more Bonnie in this show? Because I feel like more Bonnie would help it a lot. The little girl’s proposal to Viola and how over-the-top she was with even throwing in some french was funny to watch, all the while wearing Dedenne as a crown in the scenes before and after were brilliant.(Hopefully the bride gag isn’t overused.) She’s such an enjoyable character so far in XY, even during the battle when she commented on the ice field Dedenne throws in a few “ne ne!” which is probably a pun in the Japanese version of the show with Dedenne agreeing with Bonnie, yes the field is frozen. XD Then her scenes with calling Serena Onee-chan and than celebrating Yayakoma’s victory by slapping hands with her were adorable. I don’t think I could ever hate such a character.

Cons about the episode? Well I can’t pretend there weren't any. As enjoyable as Viola and her strategic methods were the battle suffered from being too short. I expected they would at least spend half the episode on it, but they didn’t and it really went by too quickly. Surskit barely took any damage and went down too quickly for my taste to Fletchling, a newly-caught bird, you don’t really expect that out of a gym leader’s Pokemon, especially one that managed to put Pikachu away in two hits no less. Then again with Vivillion taking on Fletchling, it was just too easy. I know they wanted to establish Vivillion as this beast mode butterfly right off the bat but I think at least showing Fletchling as somewhat competent against it would have been more satisfying and would have made the whole final bout feel less curb-stompy. It managing to render Surskit helpless only to be ruled completely obsolete against Vivillion just felt so weird. I hope in the rematch that the preview is playing tricks on my eyes and Viola uses an evolved Surskit as a Masquerain to shake things up a little bit.

But yeah, Alexa and Viola were right in their conversation about Ash’s power being pretty okay-ish and how he wasn’t prepared. Just more of his usual, go-getter, hotblooded, Shounen self. In his excitement he didn’t take the time to evaluate the gym leader, her skill, no analyzing her Pokemon in combat and thinking of something amazing on the fly like Electro Ball against Bunnelby to make a small change. Just relying on brute force over and over and that worked for Surskit but not Vivillion. And Pikachu against Surskit, despite the fact Pikachu has an advantage, was a bad decision imo. Froakie’s superior jumping and frubbles could have been useful for nailing such a speedy opponent. Basically it felt more like Ash wasn’t thinking ahead and was expecting to get lucky than he was there to earnestly get a badge. I just don’t feel like he brought his A-game. I just felt like he was expecting a walk in the park and not a real test.

Oh yeah….I feel like I should mention it so..yeah, there was some AmourShipping. :p So, yeah, enjoy that shipping, shipper super fans.

Last edited:

Brock also joined Ash five episodes in his journey, and Cilan didn't join him until six episodes in BW, actually.

True enough, but then he wasn't introduced 5 episodes before and appeared in every episode until then. I meant something like that, so sorry about the misunderstanding.

I have finally seen the episode, and I loved it. I am one of those people who, when Misty left, thought I'd never like the show again however, characters like Dawn and Serena have restored my faith in this show. I love the group; it is my favorite dynamic so far. I like the fact that everyone save for Bonnie are about the same age and yet everyone is so different and no one, in this season, is over the top. In fact, I find their characterizations more realistic than ever before.

Clemont is definitely the smart, pays attention to everything character who is just an awesome character to watch.
Bonnie is just pure adorable-ness who has a pokemon who is like Wubbofet, always agreeing. haha.
Serena with her schoolgirl crush on Satoshi...
and Satoshi... the one with boyish charm... just a very nice dynamic.

I personally liked the length of the battle as it was exciting, pretty, and gave time to develop other characters. Now, if it came off as BW battles tended to come off (like they're summarized), it would've pissed me off.

The interactions were wonderful... and I love that Serena is kind of shy but also outgoing.

I am wondering if she'd be a yandere. lol.

Also, I kind of want a love triangle between Clemont, Serena, and Satoshi... it would be a nice change of pace.

That cliffy... aww, the amourshipper in me is getting way too excited.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom