• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY005: The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!

Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Finally got to see this. It was a pretty great episode, what with the animation and the battles. I'm not even that upset about Pikachu losing ( perhaps I'm just used to seeing him powered down). The Citron scene was pretty nice too.

However, I did find the whole photography thing to be kind of meh. I mean, we've seen a lot of people with that hobby, so it's kind of old.

Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

This episode was great. Although Ash lost, the battle was really fun to watch. I like that Fletchling got a win here, even though it did get KO'd against Vivillon. The battle and move animations were really done well. I like how the episode ends on a cliffhanger with Serena asking if Ash remembers her.

Nice to see the anime debut of Sticky Net. Fennekin sure was cute in the minor scenes that it was in.

It shows how cheap they can be, and at least it ain't the director from BW giving cheap azz stock

Every anime and Pokemon series pretty much uses stock footage. I'm wasting my time reiterating that.

Stay classy, Bulbagarden~

The fact its disguised enough for people not to notice is perfect. Big improvement.

This maybe the last time Ash crosses paths with Alexa so it was refreshing to see her being useful for a change. If not for her Ash would let the loss fester and not train at all.

I don't know why the writers chose to have this Gym so soon. They could have explored so much before it and to have Fletchling's first battle against a Gym Leader is not ideal. The battle was a tad short. A minute more and nobody would have complained. But if the next one goes longer everybody will forget about it. Let's see if Ash will be able to counter against Gust and Sticky Web sucessfully, after all he still has the icy field and the unavoidable Psychic (in the anime) to deal with.

Serena was great. Reveling in her new freedom to wake up when she wants and drink her tea and enjoy her morning as she wants. Let's see how long this will last with Ash's frenetic company. It was such a relatable scene when she was wondering about Ash's reaction to seeing her. I just hope Ash doesn't brush her off. And Bonnie, oh my god, that scene made me laugh when she chose Viola as Clemont's bride. And the "We'll be thinking of you" while being dragged by the Aipom Arm. LOL, that was priceless.

All in all, a great episode, and with that cliffhanger, can't wait for the next one.

Someone is going to eventually ship Clermont and Viola together as a result of Bonnie's proposal. Mark my words.

And someone should do a Wi-fi Pokemon battle sweep with Surskit sweep, in honor of the Surskit who owned Pikachu.

I was expecting the Bonnie proposal gag to be cut and paste from Brock and Misty's book, but throwing in Citron's flustered reaction was a nice touch.

They handled Pikachu's defeat better than they did with Panpour, I feel. He managed to get in a few hits, too. Despite Surskit being in the possession of two overplayed moves, Protect was only used once, and Ice Beam was used in a creative way that gave it an edge and turned it into a threat. I also liked how Sticky Web played a factor in Fletching's defeat. I was expecting the anime to overlook it's lasting effect.

On the other hand, I feel like Fletching's battles were too short. It's a shame too, since it seems Pikachu will take center stage in the rematch.

Great ep. Got to watch it with subtitles so its cool to see what's actually going on.

Thought the battle was really good. Pikachu's loss was believable, and it was really well animated. And I love that they are training and preparing strategies now. Also loves Viola's strategies, really put Ash off his guard. And Ash's choices for pokemon were good too. Big improvement on the way battles have been, even for a loss. My only complaint is how fast Fletchling took down Surskit.

I for one don't expect Ash to remember Serena, and never thought he would. I don't feel like it'd be Ash if he did haha.

Bonnie and Clemont were great again. That Marriage proposal lol. something tells me that may become annoying though.

Man XY has really been great so far. And looks like the next ep will be pretty sweet as well

Last edited:
About the stock footage from earlier:

I can prove that Pikachu's Quick Attack and Electro Ball has been used before I think that the 1st Peck is stocked. I'm sure that the first attack of Ash has been stocked. Viola command has stocked three times through the battle.

The difference with BW is thsat the stocked animation is not constant in the episodes and there are scenes with little stock animations in the climax of the battles. And that really hampers the strategies that can be used. And in the end, hurt the league.

However, Ash vs Viola 1 is only 6-7 minutes, no more. I can pass it because there's a second battle and because the epsiode is very important regardless of the battle, but the rematch shouldn't last 7 minutes like this episode has done.

And one thing. The flaws of Best Wishes weren't noticeable in the first Gym Battle. IN the second, they start to get notice. People doesn't believed that Best Wishes has problems until Ash vs Elesa.

Loved the episode!

The battle was fun and quick paced, I really enjoyed watching it. I'm glad Ash lost because now we can see him training for the rematch. I enjoy those episodes where he spends quality time with his team and trying to improve their battle skills.

I am happy to see Alexa again, I think she is a great character! It was cute when Helioptile tackled Ash.

Serena was really sweet this episode. I liked her to begin with, but I like her even better now. It's endearing that she has fond memories of Ash and hopes that he recognizes her.

And I just adore Bonnie. I'm definitely going to enjoy this running gag with her (as long as it's not overdone).

One thing I love about this episode is how Pansy tells Viola that Ash is a great trainer and was just unprepared for this gym battle. Also liked how Viola's facial expression changed to a somewhat worried one afterwards. Seeing Ash care for his Pokemon deeply and reflecting on his loss afterwards also was nice since we hadn't seen such a moment for a long time. Hopefully we'll get to see more of those scenes again in the future.

The battle itself was great, and its nice to see Ash being a competent battler again. I don't mind at all that Ash lost this battle.

The scene where Clemont pulls Bonnie away with the Aipom arm was also funny. I also liked how Bonnie spoke in French.

Over all, it is an enjoyable episode.

One thing I love about this episode is how Pansy tells Viola that Ash is a great trainer and was just unprepared for this gym battle. Also liked how Viola's facial expression changed to a somewhat worried one afterwards. Seeing Ash care for his Pokemon deeply and reflecting on his loss afterwards also was nice since we hadn't seen such a moment for a long time. Hopefully we'll get to see more of those scenes again in the future.

She never said any such things. The only available "translations" for the episode are grossly mistranslated.

She never said any such things. The only available "translations" for the episode are grossly mistranslated.

while she didn't say ash was unprepared (that i recall) she did say viola might be surprised next time (which is what i think made her look worried). i translated this much on the first page, i am not sure if that's what you meant by a gross mistranslation (i assume you mean the subtitled versions going around which are actually are not being done very well) but that much i can say for sure, what worried viola was alexa saying she may be surprised.

while she didn't say ash was unprepared (that i recall) she did say viola might be surprised next time (which is what i think made her look worried). i translated this much on the first page, i am not sure if that's what you meant by a gross mistranslation (i assume you mean the subtitled versions going around which are actually are not being done very well) but that much i can say for sure, what worried viola was alexa saying she may be surprised.

No no, the "she said viola might be surprised next time" is correct, of course (come on, you know that I have a lot of respect for you and know that you know what you're doing). It's the other stuff in those subs that's wrong.

The subtitles that float around "translate" Pansy's
あら 油断は禁物。 今度 対戦するときは たぶん あなたも びっくりするわよ。 サトシ君は そういう子よ。
as
I think he was unprepared. You might be surprised this next time. I'm going to check on Satoshi-kun.
which is where this entire "Ash was overconfident and unprepared, that's why he lost" thing comes from.

(and the fact that Satoshi's later "強いよ ビオラさんは" is "translated" as "I hadn't expected Viola-san to be so strong." doesn't really help matters, either)

I'd say the translation is almost comically bad, but it's really more sad and frustrating than anything.

Last edited:
No no, the "she said viola might be surprised next time" is correct, of course (come on, you know that I have a lot of respect for you and know that you know what you're doing). It's the other stuff in those subs that's wrong.

as
I think he was unprepared. You might be surprised this next time. I'm going to check on Satoshi-kun.
which is where this entire "Ash was overconfident and unprepared, that's why he lost" thing comes from.

(and the fact that Satoshi's later "強いよ ビオラさんは" is "translated" as "I hadn't expected Viola-san to be so strong." doesn't really help matters, either)

I'd say the translation is almost comically bad, but it's really more sad and frustrating than anything.

o_O so there really is nothing said about Ash being "unexpected" or "unprepared" in the original text. Kinda sad about the translations

I'm surprised they're keeping the new series interesting and the animation in battles didn't regress yet.
To be honest I didn't expect Satoshi to lose, because of all his 'win' streaks since the beginning of XY. Technically it doesn't makes sense for HIS Pikachu to struggle so much with the icey ground, he's been through that before, but I don't mind them rebooting his experience in that aspect, because otherwise he'd be a ridiculous powerhouse greater than Charizard at this point...

I like how Serena didn't manage to get straight to the point until the end. Like I said, I like when they take their time with these things.

I love TRio but I don't like when they're interrupting the flow of every episode. They typically only have side-scenes in gym and league episodes so all I can say is that I hope them being missing in this one is a sign they're really not gonna make them antagonize in every episode again... If they do I'll be disappointed but go on. If they didn't I'd be much more glad though. I liked how they were handled few episodes ago where they had their scenes but didn't get in Satoshi-tachi's way until an episode later. I think some stories turn out better without their attacks...

Getting back on track Viola gave a good impression of being skilled, so Satoshi's loss wasn't bad at all. Looking forward to the next.

Adamant said:
as

My God, that's worse than some of the Pocket Monsters The Origin fansubs I've come across. Why do people with what is obviously a very basic understanding of the language at best think that it's OK to put out "translations" like these?

(and an *actual* translation, for those of you who are curious, would be "Ah, you can't allow yourself to let your guard down. I think you might be in for a real surprise the next time the two of you battle. That's just the kind of person Satoshi-kun is.")

Last edited:
My God, that's worse than some of the Pocket Monsters The Origin fansubs I've come across.

"Coincidentally" (ok, maybe not), the worst Origin fansubs out there are made by the exact same guy.

Why do people with what is obviously a very basic understanding of the language at best think that it's OK to put out "translations" like these?

God knows. Presumably because they enjoy the praise they get from ignorants who aren't aware they're just making crap up. Yeah, it's sad.

Glad that Ash lost in fairly believable manner. Pikachu never landed an electric attack on Surskit, only an Iron Tail - which doesn't have as much effect on a Water-type - and Fletchling took quite a beating before going down.

steel is now normal on water right? i could be wrong, they changed alot of type effectiveness on gen 6

Glad that Ash lost in fairly believable manner. Pikachu never landed an electric attack on Surskit, only an Iron Tail - which doesn't have as much effect on a Water-type - and Fletchling took quite a beating before going down.

steel is now normal on water right? i could be wrong, they changed alot of type effectiveness on gen 6

No, steel is still 1/2 effective on water. They didn't change anything offensively about steel (except for x2 on fairy). Steel doesn't resist Dark or Ghost anymore, that's about it I think :p

And I really liked this episode. It sure put a downer on hyperactive Ash. Kinda weird to see this happen so early in the series, but eh. I'm not picky.

I've also...maybe...sorta...fallen into the Ash/Serena trap. I'm sorry...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom