• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY006: Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!

a thrilling gym battle. though i found myself shouting "JUST SHOCK THEM" the whole time.

ash can't recall what happened between him and serena and she seemed dissapointed, but got over it quickly enough and didn't whine or cry. she told him to just focus on his training, putting herself aside, and her quoting his past self helped him get over his mild depression. she's tough, and nice to ash, i like serena a lot now. he also credited his win to everyone, including clemont (giving him the idea of pikachu hitting itself.. i like clemont's failures turning out to not be failures).

and ash asked what she plans to do from now on, and she is going to decide next week. so now fans can stop being so angry about it for whatever reason.

It's pretty funny that after only four episodes on the show Yayakoma already has a better moveset than Kenhallow got throughout the entirety of Best Wishes.

I hope that you don't watch some subs uploaded soon after airing. If you find them, try to avoid them. The subs include Google translate to sub the dialogue.

The episode has a shorter time than I joped and way shorter than earlier sagas.

Pikachu gets two wins in the battle being a full star of the battle. Fletchling has Steel Wing and Vivillon has Sleep Powder. The attacks could be prone to errors.

Last edited:
This Episode was Good, I Liked it, probably NOT as Good as Last Week but it was Good I Think.

So we Leave Off with the Cliffhanger Ending with Ash and Serena, it seems that Ash did Recognize her but in the End, he did NOT, but I Think she will Slowly Remind him of a Girl in the Past I Think.

Clemont's Cannon Invention Scene was Good I Thought, Funny how it go's BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM But it did Help until Froakie came out for the Training to Help Pikachu and Fletchling. Now Everyone's Hair has Gone all Puffy and Serena's Hair was a little Funny.

Fletchling Learned Steel Wing, NICE, that is a Good Move I Think and it will be Helpful in the Future.

The Re-Match was Good, Viola had yet another Trick up her Sleeve which was Sleep Powder Nice.

In The end, Ash Wins nice. I Thought the ReMatch was Good.

Nice Goodbye to Alexa, WE SHALL MISS U UNTIL OR IF U EVER MAKE ANOTHER APPEARANCE and the Photo was Cool, Helioptile Jumping on Ash LOL.

I did NOT get the End with Serena at all, I'm Confused about that?

I Give this a 9.1. Good Episode, it did Impress Me.

I wasn't seeing Eureka as extremely cute like everyone else did... until this episode. Just watch how she acts when she is sleepy!

So now we do the gym for real, in every sense of the word. What should've happened before happens now. I'm not sure how to feel about that, either, as it's plainly padding, but that's the anime for you. Drag out for as long as you can. The twist is that Fletchling does do better, but there was another wrinkle and it couldn't overcome that. Don't worry, one day you'll evolve. I know he got the tactic from Clemont, but I can't help but remember all those times in DP where an attack was used on the pokemon itself. Just a routine early gym battle really.

The way I see it, Yayakoma got a win last week when Pikachu couldn't so it balances itself out really... but I do hope Pikachu doesn't hog the Gym Battles like it did in Johto and Best Wishes.

Hm, that background music that played when Pikachu knocked out Viviyon in the end wasn't a remix, right? They actually used music from the original series (i think that's where it is from originally) here?

what a gym battle! the differnce in animation and battle storytelling from bw is actually jarring. i really appreciated the balance of focus in this episode, i thought it was an interestng character study in the midst of the "battle" type episode.

serena is really pretty great already. she's unselfish and earnest and sweet and even though i was whining about the heteronormativity i don't feel like serena's feelings feel contrived or are being overly pushed. as in i ship the thing now help me i never asked for these feelings

satoshi outright states he remembers attending the pokemon camp but that he doesn't remember serena, and she's okay with it and put it aside to help him concentrate on his training. serena is so cute asdlaksjdlalkdasasda

i also really appreciated satoshi getting inspired by citron too - who, to me, really seems to be pretty unsure of himself and his abilities for the most part. when he put eureka to bed i almost cried i have a weakness for cute sibs and they're adorable.

everyone is aorable
xy is so good so far help

Oh, wow. The writers are doing such a good job that now I'm paranoid that it'll all go back to BW soon and I'll be depressed.

Typical Satoshi, not remembering Serena, haha. Also, is it just me or is he acting a little bit older? (as in 12 or 13-ish) Not that I think he has aged (nor that I care, either), but somehow he seems more like in AG and DP in that he somehow seems more mature.

What's happening guys? You're writing episodes without the TRio and I'm actually enjoying them!! And let me not forget to add my appreciation for the music. Not only the old title track in its full glory (aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!) but also that super cool electric guitar-y remix of that-song-I-can-no-longer-identify.

But I have to admit (and I feel like this may be a frowned upon view) that I'm not really warming to Serena... she's a bit... bland?... So far the only distinguishing feature she has is her monumentally obvious crush on Satoshi and, to be perfectly honest, I give less that 0 flying fucks about a 10 year old girl's crush on a 10 year old boy. Please let her get some real direction and soon!!

That was a pretty solid Battle again. Great so see some training. Laughed when Froakie randomly smacked Fletchling haha. Hope those 2 turn out Bros. Those 2 are awesome. Glad they're dragging out the captures this time around and we get to see some personality and get to know the team a bit more. Fletchling is officially my fave regional bird since Taillow.

Like I said, battle was really good. Not even mad that Pikachu got both wins. Fletchling and Ash really got caught off guard by Sleep powder. Pretty cool how Ash solved it with Pikachu. Quite a lot of strategy used here. Was great to see. Also, how good is Fletchling's move set!!

I quite like Serena at this point. And Bonnie and Clemont were great as before. Another Solid week for XY. Keep it up!

Last edited:
The battle was okay, though there were a few instances which I thought could have been done better. Ignoring the fact that a Surskit managed to throw off a Pokemon nearly four times its weight, was there any reason why Ash couldn't have had Pikachu use Thunderbolt or Electro Ball to counter Ice Beam? Heck, why not just Iron Tail it in the face instead of latching onto it? Though they evidently really wanted to show Ash overcoming the ice field, preventing it in the first place is a perfectly viable strategy, albeit one that's slightly more boring.

That aside, that Sleep Powder and Solar Beam combo was certainly nostalgic; reminded me of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 days where I used to do the same with Venusaur and Meganium. It's a shame that Fletchling couldn't get the win in the end, but they did a good job making Viola and Vervillion look strong. I'm sure it'll get its chances to shine as the story progresses. Pikachu gets the win after Ash was inspired by Clemont's cannon exploding on everyone after he got a bit excited. Creative, I guess.

The group dynamic seems to be coming along nicely and I'm glad, and relieved, that the writers are moving on quickly with Serena's character, for reasons similar to this:

ii kanji said:
But I have to admit (and I feel like this may be a frowned upon view) that I'm not really warming to Serena... she's a bit... bland?... So far the only distinguishing feature she has is her monumentally obvious crush on Satoshi and, to be perfectly honest, I give less that 0 flying fucks about a 10 year old girl's crush on a 10 year old boy. Please let her get some real direction and soon!!

This whole thing with Ash is cute and interesting and all, and I don't have much of an issue with it, but the sooner she gets something else to define her character, the better. Thankfully, the writers were smart enough to introduce the Rhyhorn racing concept early and it seems the next episode will be expanding on that.

I have to admit I originally hoped that that flecthling would win and ash would get two overpowering wins against Viola, but this battle was better than that it showed strong strategy and inspired ideas, Ash and pikachu really showed they were not going to lose a second time and i Loved that. Also i hoped ash would have remembered Serena but the fatc that he did not opens up a world of opportunities for their relationship. The writers and the animation team have been doing amazingly well and I honestly think it will continue. Was it just me or did it seem like Alexa is the only character who see's the potential love interest relationship between Ash and Serena and is just waiting for it to blossom? Finally I cant help but feel that Ash is somehow older than he was in BW he seems more mature and more experienced that in previous sagas, not that I am complaining. Great episode solid character development and as always each character is becoming richer and more bold, also great...just freaking awesome episode.

Summer camp was the connection? I was hoping for something along the lines of childhood neighbours or classmates. Looking forward to a potential flashback episode on camp days.

It's pretty funny that after only four episodes on the show Yayakoma already has a better moveset than Kenhallow got throughout the entirety of Best Wishes.

To be fair, Unfezant as a species isn't known for its stellar movepool.

I liked the little character interaction between Froakie and Fletchling at the end of the training session.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom