• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY007: Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!

Various things:
Serena does te cook.
Serena has blushing about Satoshi thrice during the episode.
The Rhyhorn race hasn't ended.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but, if this ship doesn't become canon, i will be officially done with everything! they have gone far beyond the point of no return, you cant tease us and just let it die! YOU CANT!!! D:

Really amazing episode, really amazing, infact throughout the episode my face was like

:O
then :O!!!!!
then ;)
then :(

Seriously! amazing.. i cant believe how a simple romance can improve a show so much.

nicely drawn episode, and nicely paced, i never got bored!

not too surprised ash forgot serena if their only interaction during camp was him helping her out of the woods. but i can see how it would be important and memorable enough to her to remember so fondly.

i think clemont was right, being with ash has indeed made him brave. he was running and jumping and smashing things with rocks.

bonnie finding the rhyhorns to be so cute was adorable. i love that they show little girls can also love the big bulky boy pokemon, which should be "duh" but isn't something i expect from an anime like pokemon.

always amused by children starting to run on foot to the scene after the screens already black out, both attacking and dispatching the criminals before the cops EVEN RIDE UP ON THEIR MOTORCYCLES. their motorcycles. oh pokemon anime, oh you. don't look at me. go sit in the corner. bad.

for everyone who watched without full japanese comprehension, i don't know how much was obvious just from this anime being simple to follow, but serena continuously encouraged ash with lines her own mother used trying to train her. she realized the rhyhorn at home must have also been trying to throw her off because he liked her and wanted to cuddle and play. throughout the episode, when ash questions her about her goal, she says she doesn't hate rhyhorn racing, but wants a goal revolving around something she really likes, and she is not sure what that is yet. clemont encouraged her in finding and deciding her own path. at the end, she thought to herself, "i really misunderstood rhyhorn racing", after having stepped into her mother's shoes. she also did not want ash blurting out to her mom just how much LIKE her mom she had been acting.

really, i have no idea what she is going to end up doing, and i like that. you can usually see how this anime will go from a mile off. but i like that serena wasn't born with her final end goal in mind as many fans seem to wish. she reminds me of a kid going to college and not really sure what major they'll eventually settle into but for now they just want to go ahead and start studying something anyway.

*i write my mini summaries from memory, if i misremembered any specific phrases spoken i apologize, i promise i am fluent in this language but my short term memory is dory the fish so please don't hang me. i do my best though!

Last edited:
if you didn't believe that ash collected the souls of every cilan girl he travels with well here's your god damn proof.

Rockin that straw hat!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Serena Straw Hat.jpg
    Serena Straw Hat.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22,424
This was VERY Good Episode, I REALL Enjoyed this Episode.

Ash and Serena Interactions WERE JUST SOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME. This is Cute and I am REALLY Looking Forward to AmourShipping.

Team Rocket was Boring I thought.

Bonnie was Cute again and Her wearing the Tyrantrum Hat was Cool

I Give this Episode a 9.8 REALLY Impressed Me.

Tyrantrum PJs? lol Anyway, I sort of got that she realized she was becoming her mom from pics, but you sort of have to read between the lines. So she didn't decide yet, although I didn't think she did. Fennekin is pretty good, it's smarter than most starters we've seen at this point. Also, I'm no shipper, but dude, she made cookies for you. You'd be crazy not to keep her if she likes you that much.

I really enjoyed this episode! This series is so refreshing compared to Black & White. Also, Ash and Serena are SO CUTE. I really want them to become canon even though they probably won't so I'll just settle for my own little headcanon where they do.

The Ash and Serena interaction is too adorable and in a way, really really sad XD Poor Serena, seems it'll take a while before she realises Ash is too dumb to understand the mushy romantic interaction (don't give him food if you want to talk to him, goshdarnit! Especially when it's cookies and they're tasty, he'll be too busy giving himself diabetes to listen to what you have to say!) but if you support him and yell at him to do his best, he'll want to stay with you. At least judging from this episode - I was surprised Ash invited her along, especially since his reason is because she really helped him out back in his rematch. In a way it's a very sweet but also kinda selfish reason I haven't seen from him before?
Also liked how Serena was hesitant to show Ash how to ride a Rhyhorn (probably because she isn't too fazed about it herself, but I bet she didn't expect to be the one to show Ash the ropes in anything either. At least not with an audience if you know what I mean *ahem*), but soon ended up acting exactly like her mom. That's a common trait I bet most of us end up realising at some point in our lives.

I can never get enough of Clemont and his ... interesting running style. It was so cute how he still pushed himself to run in order to save Ash from Team Rocket and just suddenly rushed in to crush the remote to the cages. Really unexpected of him but A+ to the boy for already going into the frey with no hesitation. That was a pretty quick development!

Bonnie is still a bundle of adorableness. Her pyjamas, her excitement over Rhyhorn (and joining Serena's pile of Rhyhorn goodness after being pouty about Serena keeping them all to herself-ish.) and just generally her little excited kicking legs thing she does. Hope she and Serena will have lots of sisters-like interactions, I can't get enough of it! *_*

Is my autodidact crappy Japanese skills entirely wrong or did Ash seriously remember Serena as "that girl with the hat"? XD

Good grief. The usually low quality subs are now in broken English. Hilariously broken English.

Too cute, just too cute @_@ This is turning into CardCaptor Sakura (not that I think any pairing will become official, I just mean as in the cuteness). I'm all for it. I'm seriously scared the writers will fuck everything up because I've enjoyed every single episode so much so far. I would never have believed it after the train wreck that was BW.

And wow, Satoshi asked Serena to travel with them, that's a first.

And yes, Satoshi remembered the girl with the straw hat. Classic Satoshi XD But well, she never did tell him her name in the flashback. Unless I forgot.

And yes, Satoshi remembered the girl with the straw hat. Classic Satoshi XD But well, she never did tell him her name in the flashback. Unless I forgot.

AWESOME XD
She never told him her name in the flashback, meaning they had further interaction AFTER that flashback *_* Gimme!

EDIT: Just realised he never have learned Serena's name back then at all so goshdarnit, this is probably all we'll get! Baw, I wanted more adorable flashbacks ;_;

Last edited:
I have to honest Ash and Serenas relationship is bringing out the hopeless romantic in me! i have never been more into a shipping situation than these two right now. Also I am loving the character growth in every episode and bonnie makes me wish I had a younger sister. Overall Serena being Ash's teacher was great it showed she may be a novice but not at everything in the world of pokemon even though she just started being a trainer. Ash was very funny and Serena warming up to her moms profession as a rhyhorn racer is great, but I think she will pursue something involving fashion, but I dont know what. i also loved how team rocket was both evil and compotent but also funny and predictable, I am so glad they are not complete clowns in this season. To end this post I have more hope for this season than anyother and I have to wonder what will happen when Misty eventually meets Serena...

It's just as well that this episode turned out to be character-centric, because that really made up for what would have been a really dull experience watching people ride about on four-legged rocks. The focus Serena got today was a pleasant surprise and I can only hope that the other characters receive the same treatment this season.

It seems like they're going to take their time with Serena's goal and I'm totally okay with that. I wouldn't mind if they spent the whole season with her trying out different things and seeing which is best for her because, let's face it, finding a calling in life is tough and it'll probably be more interesting to watch than Rhyhorn races. The concept of a Pokemon Racer is fine, but it's illogical to me to restrict it by only using one type of Pokemon that isn't the most interesting of species around when you could include all sorts of different types. Unfortunately, with the way Serena seemed to be warming up to the idea of Rhyhorn racing this episode, that could very well be the way she goes.

Incidentally, although I've never ridden any animals before and therefore wouldn't have much authority on this, I can't help but wonder why Ash had so much trouble mounting a Rhyhorn when he managed to mount a bloody Spoink back in DP. Having a girl show him how to use the long hard thing between his legs probably wasn't his proudest moment, either.

One of the things I liked most about this episode was how Team Rocket were dealt with without any intervention from Ash at all, as it not only gave Serena her first battle, but also gave Clemont something to do in an otherwise quiet episode for him. XY also continues to make its characters more expressive with their emotions and gestures this season; who else noticed Ash awkwardly scratching his cheek when he was admitting that Serena's encouragement helped him during his gym battle? Such a small thing that can do wonders for the characters.

Good to see that Serena actually came prepared for her journey with a nice gizmo that can tell her where she's going and some cooking skills so she doesn't starve out in the wild. You know, basic stuff that certain others characters apparently didn't bother with. Also good to see that a group of kids can still do the police's job.

Now let's see if Ash proves he isn't asexual by taking note of the obviously smitten girl he's now travelling with.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom