• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY007: Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!

When that flashback of Ash and Serena happened, I had a tear in my eye for the way of Ash's compassion for young Serena, and I thought it was the onions making me tear.

Wasn't it a surprise? I thought the writers had some bias against shipping because it supposedly detracted from the focus on the Pokémon, but it seems they threw this rule out of a window. And you know what? I really liked it, if that's the strategy the writers are adopting for XY they just got my approval.
I know the anime is about the Pokémon, but it doesn't mean everything in the Pokéworld literally has to revolve around them. It is nice to see the focus shifted to something else for a change, this episode didn't need much more than an introduction to Rhyhorn races, so shoving the race to the background was actually a good move there. Developing Serena's interaction with Ash is way more important and Rhyhorn racing didn't need much more than an introductory instance here, as the characters said it wasn't even a big race. We can perfectly have a deeper look into that in future episodes.

Adopting? I think you meant "adapting", right? And your right about that that too. Now I wonder if there will be an answer or flashback to why Serena left Kanto.

This episode really does show what a solid storyline can do for a tv show, not that I didn't know that already but finally the writers are redeeming the show, just hope it carries over to the english version:)

Serena is totally wonderful. I love that she hasn't come up with a goal yet, I think her trying to find something to pursue could be her goal in and of itself, trying out different stuff throughout the season. Also nice that she's our navigator this time, maybe even the one that cooks. I can't say I care too much about her feelings for Ash, since I don't expect them to get anywhere beyond being just friends (Ash isn't into girls and she's going to leave as soon as gen 7 rolls around anyway), but I don't mind it either.

Everyone else is still going strong too. TR is funny and used appropriately, being absent from important episodes like the gym ones, and appearing here giving Ash's friends a chance to do something. Bonnie's still cute, and I really loved her pajamas. Clemont is still funny with the way he runs, and it seems he found some kind of shortcut while the others took the long way around, because he managed to get there first. Ash was nice, good to see him finally remember Serena, seems logical he would need a more specific explanation of how they met since he does go around helping everyone and it would be hard to remember each one. But what was his problem with getting on Rhyhorn? I'm sure he's done this in some episode before, but whatever. The whole group was really cute in their introduction to Serena's mom.

Wow! I ended up liking this episode I lot more than I thought I would!

First off, let me just say that Ash as a child was adorable. Using some sort of magic trick to remove Serena's pain. That was just too cute. It was also funny seeing him train with the Ryhorn.

Serena training Ash for the race was pretty interesting to watch as well. It was nice to see how experienced she was with the Ryhorn, even though she doesn't really care for the sport. Ryhorn races actually look pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, especially since this one didn't have a real ending. I'm really eager to see what Serena has planned for her future goals.

Now on to Clemont. And to think that I thought that I wouldn't have anything to say about him in this episode. He took the initiative to go save Ash, used Bunnelby to stop Team Rocket, and then jumped in the air and destroyed their remote thing with a rock. Just awesome. I love this guy. It was also really cute how he shook Bunnelby's paw after they beat Team Rocket. I also thought that his little nightcap was cute.

And then there's Bonnie. First and foremost, those Tyrantrum pajamas are adorable. Second, I also liked how she helped untie Ash after Team Rocket caught him. We've got some really great teamwork going on here.

Even Team Rocket had a good plan today and nearly pulled it off.

Overall, a really great episode. 9/10.

Criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinge.
They are TEN YEARS OLD. Oh my goodness, I think I'm on the verge of cracking :p

(PS. I loved everything else about this episode!)

First off, I was ready to hate this episode---merely from the title. =_= However, I was happily wrong about the episode. I don't remember ever having this much development in a character, in one episode, outside of one-off people. It was wonderful change of pace.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I am getting a Clamp/Tsubasa/Card Captor Sakura feel from this season. Everyone works so well off one another... and I can't really describe it, but it's just really well-written.

The little natural movements and how they make them talk is just so natural. I can see some great drama coming up this season... and they're getting rid of many of the cliches of other seasons. Pikachu doesn't have to have the final move to "blast" Rocket Gang off, there aren't just "slight hints" but actual "cutely, romantic" moments... Ash asked a girl, for once, to join them... actually, I think that she may be the first person he ever asked to join him---because everyone else decided on their own to join him.

Clemont and Bonnie were naturally amazing... and I like that everyone has their nuances. I feel like, with this season, they went into the drawing board early on and really fleshed out everyone. I feel like they know these characters like they know their best friend.

Serena seems like the girl who is just trying figure herself out yet I loved how she blushed and got all ready to show off when Clemont complimented her then immediately, teh Saihorn knocked her off---then Bonnie got jealous and went in to play with them.

This group feels like a family unit of brothers and sisters.... or even possibly the closest of friends.

They all complement each other so well.

I just really love how well this group interacts with one another. As Monkey D. Luffy would say, these guys are nakama for sure. (In fact the way Ash invited Serena to travel with them reminded me of how Luffy would ask someone to join him. It shows how much Ash cares for his friends if you ask me ^^) I don't know whether it's because we're back to a group of 4, the writing this season, or both, but the way these group of kids interact makes them seem like family/close friends already. I think it's because they're all roughly around the same age as well (or at least it looks like it. I'm not sure if Clemont is supposed to be the same age as Brock or Cilan. He looks closer to Ash's age) and it doesn't feel like one of them is left hanging on the sidelines while the others save the day. Again I think that's because we have an even amount of people traveling together again.

Also Clemont was amazing and I loved how he used Bunnelby to stop Team Rocket. And Bonnie is a cute little kid without being an annoyingly cute little kid.
Keep it up XY writers :D

perf episode was perf

Serena finally getting closure with Satoshi. was very well handled, and it's clear that even though he doesn't feel the exact same way about her (HE TOTALLY DOES WOW THIS SHIP HAS SAILED THO) he views her as a close friend already just as much as he does to anyone else, especially after her help in the Sihorn Race. It was sweet how she gave the cookies not just to Satoshi, but to everyone else, showing that she's not just in it for the Satoshi-d, but she legitimately cares about the rest of the group as well.

As for Serena's goal, I was pleased with the.... lack of closure we got. Although I'm a little miffed that she's still considering Sihorn races because I personally don't like them, I'm glad at how honest she was about keeping her options open and wanting to figure it out for herself which is a great change from Hikari and Iris.

10/10 ep would bang

[video=youtube;cRLfajoxF4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cRLfajoxF4s[/video]
If anyone wants to see the flashback, here it is.

Nice episode! I loved the part where they were sleeping!
Clemont_sleeping.jpg

Clemont has cute pajamas and he looks so cute sleeping. It sort of looks like he's wearing Cilan's pajamas, lol same collar. Even he's wearing a nightcap he revived the underused nightcap trend in Pokemon, James wore a nightcap once and Giovanni wore one too
Looks like Serena is our new Brock/Cilan, the cook and navigator. Clemont getting stronger and braver, the power of friendship helped Clemont. Aww Serena made Ash, Bonnie, and Clemont cookies at night, I hope she got enough sleep. Luckily she didn't wake anyone up especially Clemont (who is in the bed next to her). It'd be funny if she chose to make cookies this late at night because she didn't want to hear Clemont's snoring but still good idea. I would love to see her make them breakfast, lunch, and dinner now then little desserts for afterwards.

LOVED it. I would buy drinks for the writers and animators if I could.

Once again there's a lot going on, but nothing feels rushed. They've nailed pacing. Very cool how they had this one start right where the last one ended, I hope that's something they keep up with. I loved how excited Bonnie was over Serena joining. And those Pidgeys taking flight when she joined, was that a John Woo reference? Hahaha.

The flashback scene was fantastic. I think I'm in sugar shock, in a good way. Lil' Ash looks so much like Luffy, which I bet was intentional.

The Ryhorn practice scenes were nice, typical of Ash he eats dirt a lot but perseveres.

Clemont is bad at sustained running, but he can sprint like a mofo. That move he did with the rock was the mutt's nuts. I like how he and Serena saved the day this time, it looks like they're going to spread the action duties among the cast instead of having Ash be the Designated Action Dude all the time. I approve of this.

The video phone scene with Serena's mom was hilarious. I don't know enough Japanese to tell for sure, but I got the impression at the end that Serena told Ash she'd like to hold hands with him again sometime, but he was too captivated by the cookies to notice.

I'm glad the race itself wasn't the main focus of the episode. I was worried this would be yet another "Ash wins a race" episode, we've had enough of those already. The more character driven approach they took was much more interesting. Even though my knowledge of the language is minimal, I thought the character interactions seemed amazingly well done. This is quickly becoming my favorite main cast, they seem like such great friends already. Everyone got to do something, the episode focused on Serena but they didn't use that as an excuse to leave anyone else out. This episode put a huge smile on my face, a great antidote for the crappy weather I've been having.

Last edited:
I really loved the scene where the whole gang was talking to Serena's mother over the phone. It wasn't just animated nice with each other pushing to get in camera to talk, it was genuinely endearing of the entire gang.

Also ignore heartfelt thank you and obvious ship tease, eat cookies.

Dat's our Ash.

i'm actually dying this episode is so cute serena is so cute everyone is so cute

i have to stress again and again how organic the interactions between the characters feel and i think i'm starting to suspect it's because there's no "mentor figure" like dent and takeshi

they all feel like real kids. if it's one of the many criticisms i have of bw i think the characters were a little too unrealistic while serena, citron, and eureka are literally coming alive out of the screen. the build-up for serena especially is slow so far but well-paced. it's not like haruka who felt she had to live up to certain expectations, but serena really looks like she's along for the ride simply to grow. and that's fine when done realistically and honestly which is what i think is happening here. and WOW serena and eureka are perfect sisters already omg. i was literally screaming when she went to join in on the sihorn cuddling; if cuteness could kill we'd all be dead by now. everyone's little...antics... nuances was a word used somewhere in the thread are so ENDEARING without being overdone or overplayed.

and it's been said already (wow, has a season ever been this universally loved just 7 episodes in?!) but the characters play off each other so well and even if the episode focuses on one character over the other i don't feel like there's too much ignoring the other going on. citron still took an active part in the episode and we touched upon his story as well - his insecurities about his status, the bravery he wants to achieve despite his level of skill.

even i feel like the shipping is being written correctly??? like serena HAS IT BAD for our boy clearly but her journey isn't about her feelings for satoshi it's finding her way and learning what she's good at and learning to appreciate herself more. it was really freaking adorable how she kept the handkerchief for so long and that flashback literally had me squealing waah. and her little introspectives also really added to the episode. i really recommend you guys who need subs to wait until the good ones come out because a lot of the shitty ones reallllllly kill the nuances of the dialogue. The cookie scene especially.

one thing i will note is that the animation was a little weird in this episode. the backgrounds and whatnot were standard but the facial expressions were a little bit weird i think.

I just really love how well this group interacts with one another. As Monkey D. Luffy would say, these guys are nakama for sure. (In fact the way Ash invited Serena to travel with them reminded me of how Luffy would ask someone to join him. It shows how much Ash cares for his friends if you ask me ^^)

They've definitely got the nakama vibe going. I think Ash looking like Luffy in the flashback is not a coincidence. There's even a straw hat, although he's not wearing it.

Look at that beautiful character building and camera work.

Bonus: this episode didn't occur all in one day! I hope we get more episodes like this. c:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom