• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY008: Pokémon Trimmer and Trimmien!

It was ok, loving Ash using that brain of his, so far the writers are doing job of balancing out his comical side with his serious tatics side. Every one in this group has been great, Bonnie continues to be adorable, FYI I seriously love how this group admires Ash, doesn't make fun of him or any thing, or look down on him...Best group ever! :D

Some of the negative reactions here seem a bit over the top here. We have got a epic introduction two-parter with a capture, a capture ep with set for another one, the next episode is the another one(with both of these eps also showing off the humans well), a pair of gym episodes with a well-written loss and win with lots of character development and interaction, and a character-driven one focusing on Ash and Serena. And now, the writers DARE to pull a filler that anyone could have seen coming since the Furfrou grooming was revealed?

To be blunt here, I fear that we're getting a bit spoiled. Which given pokemon's track record, is a quite remarkable feat for pokemon XY, since we only have just begun, and before all this everybody was cynical about the anime's future quality.

Going at the writers perspective, I suspect they were told to center a episode around this, and they had trouble coming up with something interesting around grooming. Imagine if the episode featured a grooming contest, with 20 minutes of grooming talk, and a clumsy TR attempt to steal all the Furfrou, who would all counterattack before Pika blasts them off. I actually think the surprisingly deep battle and the wobba cosplay jokes aren't a half-bad effort salvaging a somewhat boring concept. We will have more of these fillers, and I hope the writers will keep attempting to give them a spin. Hopefully the writers won't run out of steam in the latter ones.

Torimian had awesome voice, does anybody know who did it? It sounded little bit same as Keromatsu, so I guess it was same as it's.

I actually enjoyed this episode contrary to how most posts in this thread made it seem.

The Wobbuffet modelling scenes alone made it worth a watch.

Considering the title and episode summary, I didn't expect much from the episode, but instead we got:
* Eureka proposing for Citron (I wish she was my sister)
* Ash's reaction to too much information
* Stupid Sexy Sonansu
* Kalos Jenny using Manectric
* Ash being more competent with a disabled Pikachu

It would have been great if Ash brought out his Keromatsu. It probably would have been able to see through their disguise...

I must say, after finally having watched this episode it turned up to be way better than the supposed garbage some people said it was.
I comprehend this episode was below the quality of the previous seven, but that's to be expected, it is the first filler after all and we were going to have one sooner or later. And in all fairness, it wasn't a bad filler.
I admit the start was a bit slow. Furfrou is one of these gimmick Pokémon that does not interest me, so I couldn't care much about all the focus on trimming, but it starts getting better at the halfway point. The conflict at the end was solved up fairly well, Team Rocket managed to pull some kind of battle and Ash displayed an efficiency in battle I'm sure many people were pleased to see since the amount of fans complaining about his lack of skill in Unova were just that high. At least now the anime is making his abilities consistent.

This episode was ok. Team Rocket's and Wobbuffet's different outfits and hairdos were quite amusing and funny at times. It was nice to see some of the different trims of Furfrou. I liked how Ash was like Pikachu's eyes and helped Pikachu battle Team Rocket's Pokemon. It was funny when Bonnie wanted to use Dedenne to help battle but it was asleep. The battle animations were done very well.

It was funny to see Serena imaging the different haircuts Fennekin could get. It would've been nice to see Fennekin be freed earlier in the battle so it could help with the battle, but the battle itself was done well.

Last edited:
This episode was ok. Team Rocket's and Wobbuffet's different outfits and hairdos were quite amusing and funny at times. It was nice to see some of the different trims of Furfrou. I liked how Ash was like Pikachu's eyes and helped Pikachu battle Team Rocket's Pokemon. It was funny when Bonnie wanted to use Dedenne to help battle but it was asleep. The battle animations were done very well.

It was funny to see Serena imaging the different haircuts Fennekin could get. It would've been nice to see Fennekin help with the battle, but the battle itself was done well.

She was trapped in the bag. She couldn't have helped.

The best part of this episode was Ash and Pika showing a wonderful battle based on teamwork and trust - battling with a blinded Pikachu o.o - Ash is clearly not a noob this season, and I like that :D

As for the episode itself, I guess it is just filler. But it was an okay filler.

Review of this episode. Watching through good subs I notice one thing:
-The summary apparently mentioned that Trimmien didn't want to get groomed unless it's treated like a human. Right?
But in the episode there's no mentions of this statement.

A filler promoting a pokemon and a mechanic I despise and I've still liked the episode. Cuz Wobbuffett. And a great battle. If this is what 'bad' XY episodes will be like, then I sure as hell am looking forward to what's coming!

Jessica's story was a typical CotD story, but on the other hand I loved her being heroic and taking out TR's cage, that was really unusual for a CotD.

I can't get over how good that battle was for a filler.

This episode got a 6.2% (HH rating, TV Tokyo), beating last week's episode's 5.8, making it the highest rated episode of this series.
Also, it is 4th in rank on the weekly ratings chart, right below One Piece (8.2%). Usually it is lower than that.
Glad to see it improving almost every week :)

I finally watched the episode, myself, last night before going to bed because I wanted to wake up early. I woke up but decided to fall back asleep. lol. Anyways, I avoided watching it because the first person said it was horrible to which, I have to kindly disagree. The episode was very good, not as good as the others, but well put together. I am one of those people who hate the word "filler," because in these forums, for some reason, it is a curse word.

No show can have a filler episode seems to be the attitude. Some of the greatest shows have amazing fillers. Cowboy Bebop, for one, is full of filler episodes, and it's one of the most amazingly written anime. While Dragon Ball Z has almost no fillers, but the show's writing was trash. People liked that trash, but it was trash, nonetheless.

There are, of course, amazing shows without filler like Air, Clannad, and Kanon, but Pokemon somewhat needs filler every once in awhile.

Anyways, onto the episode, I enjoyed the episode and the COD. There were some developments in the cast, showing what Citron thinks of Satoshi's battling ways and how only he can do what he does because of his explicit trust. Jessie and James in their disguise which I found hilarious despite the fact that I am usually annoyed by those things in the English dub.

Bonnie and Serena's sisterly relationship is shown very well in the episode. It made me wonder if the reason that Bonnie didn't ask her to marry her brother was because she just figured that they, as a group, would end up together because when she sees the COD, she says something about wanting to keep her. lol.

The characterization of everyone was on point, and it kept me interested. They also showed, in an interesting way, that Satoshi is an idiot... by getting dizzy from all the information. That made me chuckle.

It was especially nice to see how Satoshi was happy that Serena would meet the stylist that she had just been talking about in the earlier part of the episode. It was, to be noted, the manager acted like a real life manager. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't especially excited to deal with some kids so he told the main COD to keep them busy, showing them things.

The battle was fantastic.

I would give the episode an 7.9/10.

Not a big fan of this episode, but that is mostly because Trimmien is one of my least favorite introduced in Generation VI.

The CotD plot was quite generic as well.

Oh well, the writers couldn't possibly make only great episodes, right? Hopefully the next one will have the quality of the seven previous episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom