• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY009: Subdue Miare Gym! Citron's Secret!!

i..........i'm so happy.............. it was so..............................so beautiful.................... !!! clemont you did it, you're a nerd with real friends!

Who saw clemont blushing when ash wrapped his arms around him?

Watch out serena! you have competition

Okay I've only seen screenshots, but the amount of Clemont service this episode has provided is INVAULABLE, god bless the pokemon anime.

I'm quite amused at this screen in particular because it looks like Serena is ready to throw down to reclaim her man
tumblr_mxbxmsJaBm1s3at53o1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_mxby89S4Uz1qhvoh0.png

such lewdness

tumblr_inline_mxbya1mpym1qhvoh0.png

Clemont, Bonnie and Limone make such a fun family, it's really lovely to see their contrasting personalities.

A great episode and good to see Citron gaining confidence in himself. Elezard was adorable when it saw its trainer and started doing a happy dance.

As of this episode, once again a different verse from the song is used for the ending theme. This time it mentions Horubee, Harimaron and Yayakoma.

I like Heliolisk far more after this episode than I did seeing it in game - the way the frill on its neck was used also helps explain the fairly odd seeming sun stone evolution. The Magnemite/ton with personalities were nice as well, I always like seeing the non-'animal' Pokemon displaying emotion.
sdrwCwb.jpg

Bunnelby took a lot more damage than I'd have thought it would have been able to, but popping out from the Dig and into Double Team looked great.

I still find it odd that Gym Leaders don't need to have Gym Badges, especially as Clemont doesn't meet his own standards for being able to challenge his Gym. It's especially odd considering the flipside of it where you have hundreds of people competing in the leagues, so with the amount of people able to defeat 8 Gym leaders relatively high, it makes it even stranger that they don't need to have a single badge.

Thinking about it, I don't particularly like how Clemont was seemingly willing to just ditch his Pokemon instead of doing something about the robot sooner. The least he could do is call his father to the Gym before running away. I assume they were handed down from his father and are 'Gym' Pokemon rather than his specifically, but considering how affectionate they were towards him, it doesn't sit right.

Hopefully this is just the start of his development, I'm worried that they seemed to tie up too much of his story here.

Hehe... I love this family.
attachment.php

Also... Sisters forever!
attachment.php

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-12-05-18h57m57s1.png
    vlcsnap-2013-12-05-18h57m57s1.png
    642.8 KB · Views: 4,096
  • vlcsnap-2013-12-05-19h15m11s106.png
    vlcsnap-2013-12-05-19h15m11s106.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 2,386
Last edited:
To be honest, Serena and Ash learning that Clemont is a Gym Leader is something I would've like to see later in the series. But on the other hand, later in the series would mean revealing it just before Ash is about to challenge the Gym, which would've been really cliché, so I think this was very well done.

Did anyone notice how it was the narrator the one who hosted the Pokémon Quiz eyecatch this week? I think they're trying to use different important characters, but they'll run out of characters by XY010.

Also, this:
Bu1fdGe.png

...I don't know. It's just too cute and too awesome.

Citron!! <3

I just pray he doesn't follow the path of most of Satoshi's other sidekicks in being sidelined for the rest of the series. For the first time in a long time I feel like they've created an original personality in his character instead of just a cartoon with a number of running gags. With the introduction of Limone you can see a great family dynamic bubbling along in the bg. And another first (as far as I'm concerned) is I can actually understand why he has chosen to go on a journey with Satoshi, and their budding friendship feels real.

How difference in the quality of battles....
How fluid is the animation in Horubee vs Elezardon!
I will try to watch complete and in detail but there's very few stock animation in the episode.

About Eureka, one thing of her personality: she loves loves pokemon.

I'm impressed what I'm getting. Compared to late BW it's a lot... and thecfans are noticing now.

It's amazing just how removing the stock moving backgrounds and having attacks occur in the 'real' world has improved the battles in this series. Man, now it feels like they should have been ditched years ago.

Seems like a great episode (only seen the images). Great to see Heliolisk, really come to love it. Sad Clemont won't take it with him since it seems attached to Clemont too, but it's understandable some Pokémon need to be at the Gym to battle challengers. I just hope Clemont will use it in his future Gym Battle against Ash.

On a side note, to me it's REALLY obvious who Blaziken Mask is now, but I guess it just really is obvious.

Episode was actually pretty decent and Clemont is starting to grow on me. He is such enthusiast, pasionate about technology and real genious when it comes to science. I liked how we get to hear more about his backstory, mess his robot creation caused in running gym while true owner was on journey and get to know hisand Bonnie father Limone. Who was more enjoyable than i thought he would be acting pretty natural being one of those mature, yet quirky adults having spirit inside himself.

Battle between Robot and Clemont was ok, but not that extraordinary imo using typical double team and dodge waiting for right moment strategy. But it was still good enough to catch my attention and keep me interested. I liked how Ash yelled at Clemont encouraging him to find courage and battle Robot reclaiming who is real head of the gym. Ash is definitely serving as inspiration, motivator for Clemont to become stronger and more confident in himself and this episode along with previous one based on Rhyhorn racing is showing that.

Serena and Bonnie already established pretty sweet and endearing dynamic, making me remember why i always wanted that writers for change include two girls in group(like Misty,May in Hoenn which could lead to many enjoyable and cute interactions,or conflict contrast in characterization would bring). Bonnie seem to view Serena as some sort of older, protective figure feeling more secure when being around her and this definitely opens opportunity in creating some sort of older sister elationship, having their girl talks, moments of getting on each other nerves and times of bonding together becoming closer as friends.
So far im liking development of bond starting to happen between Serena and Bonnie, but between Ash and Clemont as well working as very solid group so far.

Im only worried how bond is perhaps too solid at this point and time with there usually being needed to pass some period so that people could get more familiar with themselves and adjust to esch ther, leaving time for fermentation and spontabeous development of strong bond over time. Leading to close and full of support friendship.

Otherwise if it happens too soon with no proper build up current dynamic between XY group might run ninto danger of ending forced and rushed. So hopefully writers wont fire all cards on table already, but as of now im definitely enjoying in Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Serena interactions bringing humor, positive atmosphere and various crazy moments(in good way that is).

Overall great episode indeed.

This was a Good Episode and I REALLY LIKE Clemont a lot now.

Clemont nervous but has Courage by the End was Great. He is has Great Character and I Hope he won't be Wasted like Brock got eventually and Cilan a little bit so I Hope for the Best.

Clemont's Heliodisk was so Cool I Thought and got along with Clemont Nicely thought as well.

It is REALLY OBVIOUS WHO Blaziken Mask is.

I Give it a 9.8 VERY GOOD EPISODE CAN'T WAIT
FOR THE Subs to come Out.

Clemont's in-gym pokemon were ridiculously weak, especially his signature Heliolisk.

For a Gym Leader that requires challengers to have at least four badges when challenging this gym, Clemont's gym pokemon shouldn't be losing out to recently obtained pokemon like Bunnelby, Serena's Fennekin and Ash's Froakie.

Limone I thought was actually a little Funny. Cool Motorcycle that him and Ampharous were on.

I thought the Night Scene was Cute and LOL at Serena and Bonnie being in the same Bed and they get along very Well and it Feels Like they are Sisters

There was alot great with this episode, 1)clemont's invention featured did malfunction but he fixed it.2)it took the courage that Ash gives Clemont for Clemont to actually take back his gym3)froakie took downba magnemite not a big deal but he did it prett effrotlessly.4) Limone was awesome and seems like an actually decent parent for a main characterwhich is rare.5) I loved the strength of bunnelby and it was shown to be strong enough to take down powerful heliolisk which explains whybit could fight pikachu so well.6) blaziken masks indenity is sort of reaveled.7) Serena and Bonnie are bonding which is awesome.8) the battle was awesome and I have never seen a doubleteam to the extent of bunnelbys'.9)Ash and Clemont are really becoming bros and it is fun to watch.10) Citroid was kinda evil now it is kind and loving it might just be clemont greatest invention.11) the whole cast shown were dynamic, strong, and confident nice to see.
Overall awesome episode...writers keep it up!

Just thought of this did anyone notice that one of the trainers in front of the gym had team flares logo on his shirt or at least a close insignia to team flares logo?

Last edited:
As someone who has Amie'd Heliolisk, I loved seeing it get so happy here. It reminds me of Totodile. I probably should've figured out that Bunnelby was here so clemont could take his gym back. Thank goodness Limone Blaziken Mask is not going to be a rival or even an eventual battle, but the Mega madness is over yet. BTW, poopie on him not having Mega Ampharos. Of course, this still delays the matter for later for perhaps obvious reasons. BTW, enjoy the miles and miles of nothing until cyllage. The only thing that can save us right now is Serena.

After trudging through BW so glad that with this series they actually seem to be trying - was a great episode. Like how they set up the future gym battle between satoshi and citron, the battle looked great and hoping it stays as good.

Though anyone else thought the frames before the lights came on in the gym looked at bit odd?

I really liked this episode. You guys all pretty much summed the main points.

However one thing bothers me, and that is how OP Clemont's Bunnelby is. It hasn't lost a battle, has gone toe to toe with ash's infamous Pikachu, and dealt with Team Rocket several times. Now, it has defeated Clemont's signature Pokemon just like that. And it was only recently caught?

Okay two things. Why DID Clemont think it was okay to apparently essentially abandon his Pokemon in the gym and go for a round trip around Kalos? Heliolisk does NOT deserve that. Can robots even be gym leaders? Where is the Pokemon Inspection Agency that gave Misty such a hard time? I mean really?

Ok done for now ^_^

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom