• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY011: Pursuit in the Bamboo Forest! Yancham and Goronda!!

Another great episode for me. I don't care if the main idea of the episode has been done before, it allowed tons of nice stuff to happen. The personalities of the starters getting shown, a capture for Jessie that was out of nowhere (I really liked it, Pumpkaboo comes out of the ground and tries to be dramatic only to be captured instantly, funny stuff), and that awesome sequence at the end with Ash rushing to Pangoro while all the Pokemon protect him from TR. Now I'm just ready for some subs so I can understand what TR was arguing about, or what the twerps where doing at the beginning with the Pancham and Clemont's machine.

I enjoy episodes that focus on the Pokémon interactions by themselves - even if one similar to this one didn't feel too original, since we must've had at least one of these per region - and this was a decent one.

All around, a fairly enjoyable episode, even if it's nothing too special, either.

This was a pretty meh episode in my opinion. Aside from Musashi's hilariously nonchalant capture of Bakeccha, the plot and the panda Pokémon didn't really interest me. I really liked the new music that debuted here, though, such as XY's forest theme and the drum music that played when Bakeccha showed up. I also liked the reference to the opening with Citron's translator machine blowing up in his face when he was fixing it.

Visually, this episode was pretty bad. The character designs looked really ugly at times and the movements looked really rough and choppy. I hope this isn't a sign of poorer animation to come. :-/

Just from hearing the title of the episode, I was thinking 'another boring filler, focusing on two Pokemon I don't even like - it will be one of those episodes I will only watch once and probably never see again out pure boredness' - was I wrong! the episode was really entertaining, full of great moments of laughter, sadness, 'so cute' moments, & so much funness (can't think of another word to describe it)! Loved the episode so much, 10/10 for me, it's already my favorite XY episode at the moment.

My other thoughts - while rewatching the episode:
Typical intro - every one having a meal.

Pancham! Not too excited, not my favorites at all.

Big laughs from Chespin, as all others are worried from the sound - Chespin keeps eating!! (those memories of Oshawott and Emolga return)

I hate the voice of the PokeDex! Wish the BW voice had stayed. It sounds horrible

Another crazy Clemon invention!! He makes me laugh!!

That Pancham looks, I'm thinking they are upto something bad

Greedy Panchams!! Eating everything!! Just love Fennekin's and Expression and Chespin's saddened expression too

TRio again!! Always up to no good!! Breaks my heart seeing Fennekin trapped like it was.

Pangoro looks horrible & mad

Laughed a lot the way Chespin was trapped and when they tried to help him, then Nyasu trapped up a tree! Helping out the bad guy. Nyasu's bad intentions!!

TR tries to catch the Pancham and Pangoro to the rescue!!

Favorite part of the episode! Fennekin looks so cute when saddened (I just want to give it a big hug)! Really love when the Pokemon interact with one another without People at all, didn't know that foxes grooming themselves that way, I though only cats did that, maybe Serena's Fennekin is part cat! Made me smile Froakie 'massaging' the fur on Fennekin's tail - she smiled a lot and so did I! My whole reason for loving the anime

Jessie catches Pumpkaboo! Not an exciting catch for me, I was expecting another dumb TRio type sneak attack

Laughed at Chespin's reaction to biting the stick and throwing it at Pangoro's face

Pangoro looks so sad, makes me feel sad as well. Excited that the groups helps out

Team Rocket trapping Pangoro, looks like it never moved at all. Pumpkaboo looks horrible (personal opinion - sort of like a cat's face on top of a pumpkin - seems to fit Jessie good).

As soon as the stick with leaves reached Pangoro's mouth it looked as if all it's energy returned

Glad everything turned out OK at the end.

My final note: of all the characters in this episode - all the cute-Fennekin moments are the main reason that makes me want to keep watching this episoe over and over.

Last edited:
I really like the interactions between all the Pokémon here. Fennekin likes to be kept groomed, Froakie is pretty sweet in helping her with that. Chespin has an honest side to him in seemingly being the one to help Meowth despite events in this and last week's events. Inkay just plain loves to spray anyone and anything with ink, including Pangoro.

I really like how Jessie's capture mirrored James' too. Ash and the other Pokémon working together for that badass scene at the end was awesome too.

Good episode, I think BW and XY are particularly good at writing filler episodes (yes a Pokémon was caught but it was still a filler plot).

IMO there is no filler episode so far in XY, every one has at least contributed to the plot. I guess the first filler will be the Espurr one but there are rumors saying Serena will catch it so..

I thought it was a great episode at all points. I'll admit I eagerly waited for someone to capture the pandas, but TR used ropes instead of Pokeballs for some reason, and nobody else entertained the thought...

Meowth & the starters were great, as was Team Rocket. I like how they are competent enough to NOT be defeated by the twerps so easily, yet they end up defeating themselves in their overconfidence. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Ash's heroic run of determination was badass. I also liked how supportive he was of Clemont's SCIENCE POWER. :thumbup:

Now I'm just ready for some subs so I can understand what TR was arguing about
Meowth asked which one of them should get the recognition for bringing Pikachu and the starters to the HQ.

James argued that the honor is his, because he designed the capture device.

Meowth thought himself the biggest contributor, as he thought up the whole plan himself.

Jessie's argument was the fact that she ordered the attack! Timing the order really matters in a situation like that! :XD2:

After that James said that Inkay was the reason the plan worked, and thus he, as the trainer, did the most.

Then the gang decided to settle their argument with a Pokemon Battle and ended up destroying their own balloon!

I don't understand the lukewarm response this episode is getting here. I thought it was fun.

Also, back when the ending theme updated its lyrics the first time around, I remember being confused about why Bakeccha was thrown in there and wondered to myself if its inclusion in the ending was hinting at a capture. I guess it was after all!

This one wasn't much to write home about story-wise, but it had a lot of bits that cracked me up.

- Fanboy sparkles everywhere!

- Clemont's invention blows up right next to his crotch. Ow.

- TR arguing and blowing up their own balloon.

- Froakie's bubble hood.

- Froakie x Fennekin shipping!

- Sonansu voicing the eyecatch.

- Pangoro sulking when it loses its leaf, that was a nice twist on the overdone angry bear.

- Inkay spraying ink in Pangoro's face.

- Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so casually, she was all "I caught Pumpkaboo kbye." Complete with drum solo!

- Ash jumping towards Pangoro in slow motion.

- TR blasting off in slow motion.

- Ash & Co. forgetting to eat dinner.

It looks like someone on Ash's crew knows how to cook a proper meal, I'm guessing Serena since we've seen her cook already. The scene with Ash running to give Pangoro the leaf was really cool, I like how they're doing lots of action scenes that aren't Pokemon battles. This one was filler-ish, but I liked it.

Last edited:
On a more positive note, it did manage to show us the personalities of some of the cast's Pokemon. We know all about Pikachu, of course, but we learned that Froakie is suspicious, fitting of his ninja-theme, Chespin is gullible and slightly happy-go-lucky and Fennekin cares about its appearance. We also saw that Inkay appears to oblivious of everything, and Pumpkaboo seems an interesting Pokemon. The way Jessie caught it got a chuckle out of me.

Other than that, nothing of note happened.

This episode wasn't entertaining as I thought it'd be, but still enjoyable mostly because I got to see more of the starters' characteristics. Fennekin chewing on twigs and caring about how her tail is messy. Froakie pulling his bubbles over his head ♥ Chespin being positive as ever :D

And bonus points for Ash x Serena moments :D

This one wasn't much to write home about story-wise, but it had a lot of bits that cracked me up.

- Fanboy sparkles everywhere!

- Clemont's invention blows up right next to his crotch. Ow.

- TR arguing and blowing up their own balloon.

- Froakie's bubble hood.

- Froakie x Fennekin shipping!

- Sonansu voicing the eyecatch.

- Pangoro sulking when it loses its leaf, that was a nice twist on the overdone angry bear.

- Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so casually, she was all "I caught Pumpkaboo kbye." Complete with drum solo!

- Ash jumping towards Pangoro in slow motion.

- TR blasting off in slow motion.

- Ash & Co. forgetting to eat dinner.

It looks like someone on Ash's crew knows how to cook a proper meal, I'm guessing Serena since we've seen her cook already. The scene with Ash running to give Pangoro the leaf was really cool, I like how they're doing lots of action scenes that aren't Pokemon battles. This one was filler-ish, but I liked it.

All those moments were wonderful to me. The battle scene was my favorite part with sh running through the attacks, the pokémon protecting him with their attacks, the drama---all for Pongoro to get his leaf.

I watched it subbed--not very good subs, but subbed nonetheless. It was very entertaining. It may've been filler-ish, but one can say that this episode was still better than BW's second to last episode of the season when everyone left. It was also interesting to note that the COTD was the bears today, and they had no so much personality.

My favorite part would actually be when Serena was upset with how pokedex portrayed the baby bears with their thuggish pose. Clemont takes up for it, saying that it does say that they "try to look intimidating." Or something like that.. and Serena says that "they could try to make them look cuter."

Another thing that I like about watching this episode (I've noticed it before) but Serena and Clemont have quiet fights because of their difference in personality that makes me laugh. First, when they were discussing the pokedex entry then later with his invention..

Satoshi's love for Clemont's inventions is wonderful. I like that he isn't annoyed by it or scared when he brings one out. I loved his reaction to when he realized that the invention had been right about what the Pokemon was saying.

There is something much more likable about this bear in comparison to Teddiursa and Ursaring. It's just kind of adorable as an adult and as a baby.

The ending with them forgetting to eat... that was a very old school TR type of ending... and it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop.

I love Froakie's Ninja-mode as I call it when he uses his frubbles and covers his face like a ninja. It's so cute... and Chespin, I love that little guy. He's so innocent and trusting.

This was definitely not one of the best episodes of this season, but it was still a really good episode in my opinion.

I thought this was a relatively grand episode in itself- the only gripe I could have might've been how Pumpkaboo was captured, but even at that, I didn't really mind. In fact, I'm delighted Jessie has a Pumpkaboo, especially with its high beams quirk. The comedy potential in that is rather high, but at the same time, I'm glad that they haven't morphed it into a running gag, especially not one like some members of James' team perpetually being overly-affectionate towards him as soon as they were called out of their pokeball. That being said, it would've been slightly funny if Pumpkaboo accidentally flashed its lights in Jessie's face, in my view, even once.
It is an intriguing piece to have Serena complain about the PokeDex, even it was over the images that were being provided not being accurate in comparison to the Pokemon species in reality, though she had two Pancham to deduce that with, so. I think she mentions the images again when Pangoro was in a sulk, but I didn't really count it, since it was depressed.
The entire scene with Ash sprinting towards Pangoro with the bamboo leaf clutched in his hand was sort of a far-fetched heroic act, but it was entertaining, and not to mention, a fantastic touch, just to see, Ash once again risk being hurt by a Pokemon's moves, but also, to see the trapped Pokemon using moves that they were capable of in their state to protect Ash. Actually, the whole depression without the leaf was pretty far-fetched, imo, but it was quite interesting to see Pangoro's reliance on an item to give him confidence.
I particularly enjoyed how Team Rocket initially blow their air balloon due to them arguing pointlessly, that was amusing. Also, the scene when Meowth pleads with Pikachu was a pleasant scene, because Chespin and Froakie were perfectly placed to act as the polar opinions, on either side of Pikachu. I especially enjoyed Froakie's exasperated little shrugs. Oh... and Inkay just adamantly squirting pathetically into Pangoro's face... that was comedy gold.

For me, this episode was enjoyable mainly thanks to Team Rocket, which isn't something I'd usually feel, so that was brilliant in itself.

Weak episode, and the first XY episode so far that I don't like (I did somewhat enjoy the Furfrou episode). Only redeeming things were the animation, the interactions between the starters, and Jessie capturing a Pumpkaboo. I mainly dislike this episode because it had no plot at all and I felt as if it could have had a better plot. Basically it was just TR stealing Pokémon again, and finding a leaf for an oversized panda who suddenly loses the ability to fight without a leaf.

I really disliked TR in this episode, I really dislike them in general now, they're supposed to be comedic (I guess?) but I just don't see how they're hilarious in any way. They're just obnoxious pointless pests. And I was really bothered by their arguing. For years they've captured Pokémon in a net flying away with them, working together as a team, and now they're suddenly going to argue who's getting the credit of the boss for stealing the Pokémon? Uh... They're better off off the show, but that's just my opinion.

As I said, the animation in this episode was really good, I loved the effects here and there, such as when Ash ran towards Pangoro. However, I also found this stupid. So overdramatized. Putting a leaf in a bear's mouth. Oh my... so exciting...! The effects weren't exactly needed there.

I also disliked Fennekin, I dislike it as a Pokémon but also how it is presented in the anime. It hasn't done much or exactly showed much personality. The only thing it did during the entire episode was worrying about its messed up tail -__- Hope it will get some more personality or at least DO something useful. I admit however, Froakie blushing for helping it was cute.

I liked the panda's, Pangoro was a badass and the Panchams were cute. I'm just going to throw this in though that this episode in general reminded me of Saving Darmanitan from the Bell, in that there are two naughty Pokémon stealing food from the gang (Darumaka, Pancham), who later become friends with the gang who then help out their caretaker who happens to be their evolved form (Darmanitan, Pangoro). So that seems somewhat rehashed. Not to mention Pokémon getting lost again, oh wow, we haven't seen that before, now haven't we? I'm gonna be fair though that you can't always have original plots, some plots just need to be rehashed I guess.

Finally, I like Jessie captured a Pumpkaboo. It's a cool Pokémon I think and could be a nice addition. The way it was captured was very sudden and random though, I didn't really like that. Although the drum solo while it was flashing around was really awesome.

Overall, weak episode. But it did have some redeeming points, so I'll give it a 5.

Last edited:
Please tell me there's a gif floating around of Maaiika inking Goronda... What a joker!!

I am going to change my Rating and give it a 6.6 one of the Weakest XY Episodes but I don't HATE this Episode, I can Watch it again it's just a little weak. Team Rocket and Fennekin made this Episode Bad for me at least but the Pancham, Pangoro, Dednne FINALLY DO SOMETHING, and Froakie Saved this Episode for Me.

I loved this episode. It was a neat callback to the subtitled episode and really helped solidify the Pokemons' personalities in my mind.

This is the first XY episode that I've seen since it featured two of my top favorite Pokemon of the generation and I have to say, I am liking what I see! I better not get too spoiled with the Japanese version othewise I may end up being biased and not liking what the English version has to offer!

This was a nice episode in my opinion. The animation was so fluid and those adorable pandas! <3 I liked it.

This is the first XY episode that I've seen since it featured two of my top favorite Pokemon of the generation and I have to say, I am liking what I see! I better not get too spoiled with the Japanese version othewise I may end up being biased and not liking what the English version has to offer!

Don't watch the English dub, then. If the original has genuinely taken your heart let it be.

So I've finally watched the episode (with subs!). Some observations:

Don't worry Citron, in more than 15 years watching Pokémon, I've also never seen anyone complaining about a Zukan picture before.

The Yancham are really cute, far more than they are in the games. But they are also kind of mean.

I can't believe Citron is actually intelligent enough to build a Pokémon language translator machine. Talk about a prodigy! :O

LOL Maiika's poker face is amazing, it never changes its facial expression. Also, Team Rocket sabotaged their own plan, how dumb they are?

Dedenne is finally on action again! I think...

The interactions between the Pokémon were great. Harimaron being the clumsy one, having its head stuck in the ground was funny. It is also very gullible, unlike Keromatsu who refused to help Nyarth. By the way, I think all of that pretty much puts the comparisons between Harimaron and Mijumaru to rest, since they are extremely different in terms of personality. Right?

Anyway, Maiika spitting ink at Goronda's face made me giggle. "Why add fuel to the fire!?!" lol

Speaking of the bear, it is just another generic bear in the series, sadly. I think it even shares the same seyuu as Langley's Tsunbear. Lame.

This is the first time we got to see Fokko making some different facial expressions and showing more of its "fashionable" personality. Absolutely loved some of the faces it did in the episode, but perhaps I am a bit biased since it is my favorite Pokémon (faces in the spoiler tag).

ctHeQJF.png

620MZcQ.png

5l72wVE.png

AWSfzCP.png

icLsO9l.png

Bakeccha's capture = Lamest capture ever.

Nice to see that the writers acknowledged Fokko's Zukan entry and made it eat some branches in the episode. Harimaron didn't like the taste of it much, it seems...

Oh hey, so Goronda isn't THAT generic, it is like a mix of Ringuma/Tsunbear with Satoshi's Waruvial, since it loses its composure when its bamboo leaf is not in his mouth.

Leech Seed's new animation is great, much better than the previous animation.

I like the scene of the Pokémon attacking Maiika and Bakeccha to help Satoshi, even though they were stuck in Leech Seed's roots.

Lastly, the forest REALLY was a bamboo forest and not a generic one!

Well, that is it! Sorry for the giant post, I was typing it while watching the episode.

I can see why some people wouldn't like this episode that much, but personally I really enjoyed it. So far, X&Y isn't disappointing.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom