• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY011: Pursuit in the Bamboo Forest! Yancham and Goronda!!

Jessie Captures a Pumkaboo WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I think that's Cool, we get to see a Pumpkin throughout XY I am Cool with that Happening. Also Team rocket seems to be getting Ghost Types now

Sonansu doing the eye-catch has to be the best part of this episode.

Nice to see all the Pokemon out to eat lunch - it's such a small thing, but so often in BW you just got the Pokemon that would play a main role in the episode being allowed to eat; though I suppose it was only Bunnelby that didn't do much, which made it quite good as a way to establish all of their personalities as a group - including that rather cute scene with Froakie and Fennekin - what's that about Pokemon taking after their trainers?

Anyway, nice to see Froakie actually being suspicious of events, even if Chespin was easily convinced - Pikachu should know by now to stop trusting Meowth, even if he did just learn Baby-Doll Eyes.

I was obviously expecting how Pangoro was going to be portrayed in this episode, because bear-like Pokemon can't escape being typecast as getting angry over minor attacks - though the episode did at least do a nice job of the uniqueness that comes with the leaf, I still wish they could have found another way of doing it. It made this episode seem more repetitive than the previous ones because of how worn out the plot with large Bear Pokemon is.

Is that the first time we haven't had any attempt at a Team Rocket motto?

One of the weaker episodes so far, saved by amusing interactions between the Pokemon and everyone getting screen time.

I thought the episode was pretty uninteresting overall, I didn't really like much about it. The Pancham were cute, that nice callback to Dedenne/Pikachu's electricity communication was cool and seeing Dedenne be useful, seeing Chespin get some small focus and reveal Vine Whip, Froakie's personality moments were fun. I guess seeing all the mascots play interference for Ash during his hero moment too. Everything else just felt so boring/standard, I disliked Pumpkaboo's capture, it felt so sudden and happening for happen sake unlike with Inkay whose capture I liked.

Pumpkaboo didn't really look impressive at all to me unlike with Inkay. Pikachu and Ash getting conned by Meowth for the millionth time continues to be uninteresting to me. The character interactions from the XY Quartet felt really lacking. Team Rocket really got on my nerves this episode, especially their little petty squabble that lead to them losing their stolen Pokemon, their constant moments of stupidity humor and overall I really just think they should have not been here at all but that would require a full episode rewrite given this episode hinges on them vainly attempting to steal the mascots. Surely a good number of those Rocket moments and mascots dicking around could have been axed for a decent Pumpkaboo intro battle, no? Fennekin could have used a victory.

A pretty weak episode overall and the first XY episode I feel a good amount of apathy toward.

This Episode was Decent, Not as Good as the Last 2 Weeks have been but still Good.

I thought the Interactions with Pikachu and the 3 Starters was Not Bad but Fenniken worried about its Tail Fur also Russled was Weak I thought. Chespin is Funny in a way. Forakie STEALS THE SHOW Here, him in his Bubble Hood was Cool.

I almost wanted to Cuddle with those 2 Pancham because they looked so Cute and it would have been Co to snuggle with them I thought. The Pangoro was Cool in a way.

Team Rocket really weak WHY DID THEY ARGUE AND THEN LOSE THEIR Pokemon VERY STUPID I THINK.

Overall I give this Episode an 8.8 Very Entertaining Filler

I recall saying that they were going to run out of characters for the Pokémon Quiz by XY010. I was wrong.

Overall I give this Episode an 8.8 Very Entertaining Filler
It's not a filler though, as Jessie caught Pumpkaboo. Randomest capture ever.

Not the best episode, but still not bad. I like Froakie being the kind hero and Fennekin being worried abut her appearance, as well as childish Chespin. They're all so cute >.<

Big bad bear is soooo overdone with Ursaring. Was Beartic portrayed that way too?

Funny thing is all three are in the Kalos Dex :3

Calling episode with the bear trio in a conflict. (Pangoro wins)

I am gonna wait and watch it subbed, X&Y is just too good to watch without subs.

Anyway, I am glad Musashi caught a Bakeccha!

I think its evolution matches her pretty nicely, so I really hope it eventually evolves, unlike Musashi's Koromori and Pururill.

The same is valid for Kojiro's Maiika.

Also it seems like Serena's Fokko has a bit of focus in this episode? It has been neglected as a background Pokémon for the majority of the past ten episodes.

Yeah, this was definitely the weakest ep so far. I loved the Yancham at the beginning, and any scenes with Goronda were great. The rest of the episode was honestly pretty dull. Musashi's capture would have been funnier if he hadn't seen something similar already (and done better) with the squid recently. But the pumpkin looks really cool, so I'll look forward to seeing it in the future. (But it was freaking weird seeing the bat's mouth talk.)

I noticed that Leech Seed's roots didn't glow with Chespin, which was a nice and subtle way of referencing the game mechanics of Leech Seed.

I like how they just randomly showed a scene of Satoshi holding Serena's hand and helping her cross that river.

This Pangoro is just like Ash's Krookodile; without its signature item, it doesn't have the morale to fight back.

Jessie's Pumpkaboo likes to move about and turn on its hole lights in front of everybody. It's a nice little personality trait.

In one scene, Jessie's Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat against Fennekin's Ember and Chespin's Pin Missile. It's odd that Wobbuffet's coat repelled Pin Missile.

I am not amused by the BW trick of putting a capture in what is otherwise filler.

Loved the drum solo Pumpkaboo got when it first showed up and flashed its little lights everywhere.

I think it's gonna be a hardcore badass.

I am not amused by the BW trick of putting a capture in what is otherwise filler.
This "trick" is actually a good thing. It makes an episode that would originally be a filler, a non filler. What is supposed to be bad about it?

I thought that this episode was pretty decent, mainly the first half.

The Pancham were so cute in the beginning, before they decided to be jerks and eat all of the food. Clemont's invention was pretty cool in this episode, and it actually worked...before he blew it up. And damn, when Team Rocket argues, they go hard.

I thought the Pokémon's interactions here was really nice. Froakie being wary of Meowth was nice and using it's Frubble hood to try to hide from Pikachu. Fennekin being concerned about it's appearance was also neat since we haven't seen much personality from it yet. And it was so cute when Froakie fixed Fennekin's tail. And Dedenne was actually useful here in helping to find Pikachu.

And now it gets a bit boring. The whole thing about needing to get a new leaf for Pangoro was really lame honestly. However, Ash's badass running and jump to give Pangoro the leaf made it pretty awesome in the end. I also liked how all of the Pokémon teamed up to protect Ash from Team Rocket.

Pumpkaboo's capture was rather...random. Though I do like that Jessie has another Pokémon, and that James reacted in a similar way to how Jessie reacted to his capture of Inkay.

Overall, like I said, it was pretty decent for the most part. 6/10.

Going by the raw only, I thought it was a nice little episode. Liked the music choices as well! The Pancham were adorable <3

BULLET POINTS:
I think Pangoro losing its motivation (to kick ass and take names) after the loss of its twig was a nice change to the "oh man the Bearmon is rampaging indiscriminately again! oooo aaaa" cliche, thus making it an easy damsel-in-distress for TR.

The Pumpkaboo capture? Nothing to write home about.

That Froakie/Fennekin interaction though, dang.

I really like seeing the Pokemon on the main cast interact..Froakie reminds me of a mixture between Buizel and Croagunk it seems like he's the most mature Pokemon on the main cast right now.

Also Inkay casually squirting ink at Pangoro was funny.

was this episode as good as the ones preceding it? no, not by a long shot.

but was it way more entertaining than it had any right to be? yes lol

i was chuckling the entire time and wow goronda it's just a twig no need to bsod over it jesus

i think all the 'mons reactions to trusting nyarth were all hilarious and varied. i normally don't like 'mon focus eps but this one had just enough personality to be above the standard "showcase ALL the starters" eps

also the amourshipping easter eggs made me :')

This episode was slightly less enjoyable than those that preceded it, but I still liked it anyways.

I really loved the interactions between Pikachu and the starters and how those three have such distinct personalities. Harimaron is so gullible and childish, Fokko really cares about its appearance and Keromastu can still see through the Rocket-Dan's BS.

Glad that Musashi got a new team member as well. Nothing much else worth mentioning, methinks.

This episode reminded me of the Furfrou episode not too long ago, in that there were some good moments spread amongst a lacklustre story. While in that particular episode I didn't think they did enough to make me care about the CotD's problems, in this episode I thought they messed up the structure. The main part of the story was about how Pangoro loses confidence when it loses it's item, but it didn't happen until the second half of the episode. The whole Pancham thing in the first half of the episode didn't have much to do with what would happen later. It also struck me that Pikachu, Fennekin, Froakie and Chespin being stolen and subsequently lost served little purpose in the grand scheme of things. The whole resolution to the problem seemed rushed and there wasn't any conflict of any sort; a cliff was the outstanding obstacle between the gang and the item. Those things combined left me wondering what the actual point of this episode was.

On a more positive note, it did manage to show us the personalities of some of the cast's Pokemon. We know all about Pikachu, of course, but we learned that Froakie is suspicious, fitting of his ninja-theme, Chespin is gullible and slightly happy-go-lucky and Fennekin cares about its appearance. We also saw that Inkay appears to oblivious of everything, and Pumpkaboo seems an interesting Pokemon. The way Jessie caught it got a chuckle out of me.

Other than that, nothing of note happened.

It was an ok episode, I'm glad both James and Jessie have a Pokemon from this region not just Jessie like what happened in the BW series, hurray for the X and Y writers for fixing those mistakes. Favorite part of the episode, Ash's heroic rescue at the end, gotta say he's been pretty bad ass this series which makes me happy :D

Nice little Ash x Serena moments though, sitting next to each other and helping each other across the stream like that.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom