• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY012: Capture the Pokémon Buyer! The Kofuurai Impersonation Plan!!

This Episode was NOT TOO Bad but I will do a Better Review later, Daz's Design was LAME I Thought and Froakie being here made it Cool IMO. Seeing all the Different Vivillon's was Cool I thought. Did Anyone else LOL when Officer Jenny thought that Ash was a Thief as well because I thought it was a Little Funny. My Final Review will be a 7.7 I can Watch Again.

Is that high speed chase between a criminal in a truck and police officer on a motorcycle? I know, Let's go chase after them on foot and see what's happening!

Genius idea, that one.

It's good to see an Officer Jenny realise just how terrible at her job she really is.

Hey look, the bait plan worked, and the guy we're chasing after is now open to ambush. I know, let's allow him to escape with one of our beloved Pokemon in a car and chase after him on foot using a machine liable to malfunction.

Some genius planning, right there.

Hang on, is this a hostage situation? Oh no, if only we could have somehow prevented this earlier on in the episode with a pre-emptive strike of some kind!

Jenny was on a motorcyle and went ahead of the gang, so how the hell did she end up being so late?

Somebody should also tell Jenny that a pair of handcuffs would probably be more effective than a lasso. Or a stun gun. Or the big ol' scary looking Manetric that was right next to her the whole time.

All that aside, this episode seemed to focus primarily on what evolution is and explaining it/showing it to the three new additions to the cast, which I suppose is necessary but at the same time it's been done several times before and it didn't even bother shining the spotlight on someone else. Clement was used to explain what evolution was and how it worked, and he made a machine to track down the lost Pokemon, but ultimately he ended up in a net doing nothing during the episode's climax. Likewise Serena's role was just making costumes and preventing Ash from going all Leroy Jenkins on them, but she ended up inactive during the climax as well. Ash was the one who ended up having the main battle, but I felt that Clement or Serena should have been the ones down there doing the battling, so that their character could get some focus.

In fact, I think the whole episode could have done with picking a character, be it one of the main gang or even the villain, and focusing on them, as that would have at least given it some direction. In the end, it's another episode where I'm left wondering just what the point of it was.

As an aside, it would have been cool if Ash likened the situation with the guy trying to sell of the Pokemon (I think that's what it was) with the whole saga with Hunter J, who also caught and sold off Pokemon, and acknowledged that the scene with the Vivillon flying into the sunset was very similar to the scene of the Butterfree flying off into the sunset way back when. But eh, not like continuity is important or anything.

I was hoping for a second there that Serena's wooden box would also have an Ash-sized purple cage inside there, because the episode would have been way more interesting that way.

Ash fighting back against Officer Jenny was interesting - not the smartest thing to do in that situation, should have been shocked by Manectric. Considering every episode they appear in has Team Rocket using those magic nets and cubes, you'd think the police would have something better than a rope.

I certainly don't get risking Chespin on it - at least without doing something to stop the cage from shutting - likewise, Clemont didn't really show much emotion on his Pokemon being taken away - even if he had the plan and the tracking device, he still should have been somewhat hesitant to have his own Pokemon used as bait. I'd like to see one of his inventions stay working, having it explode added nothing to the episode - there's surely another way to have a contrived delay for Jenny?

Spewpa looks much nicer each format I see it in - those original magazine scans made it look awful, it looked okay in the games and I quite like it's design in the anime. Certainly the best of the middle stages of the regional bugs imo. Reconnaissance Froakie was cool.

So it's a fairly bad plot for an episode and it really undersold Clemont, but it had enough moments to keep me interested, seeing all the Vivillon at the end was nice and as much as she wasn't that useful in the episode, it's good seeing Jenny and Joy with some regularity again.

Did TR appear?

and Serena was really impressed with the Vivillion, I wonder what's next for her.

my japanese isn't good enough to distinguish accents but... osaka-ben? fitting because the main vivillon was elegant-type!

i lol'd when satoshi was explaining evolution and eureka was like wat

So a few episodes ago we got a robot that looked straight out of a Mega Man game, now we get a Wario-alike. I hope they keep up with these allusions to other video games.

I guess this was technically a filler but it didn't feel like one IMO.

Just some notes on the ep

Diggersby and the poacher were great villains. Aside from the Wario design on the bad guy, Diggersby really seemed powerful. Likewise, the Mud Bomb(?) fight scene at the beginning was really cool.

Scatterbug looked weird in the anime, but Spewpa looked great. The evolution between them was way too fast, so I hope most evolutions in future eps take longer. I didn't really like the swirling, though - I prefer the BW way of evolving, since it seems more natural.

Seeing Ash fit into the trap was crazy. I'm guessing that Serena sews and makes her own clothes/costumes? Which is pretty cool. I thought that she's been neglected for the past few episodes, so it's good to see her do awesome stuff. She suggested Ash bring out Fletchling and was quick to lead the gang to the Center early on in the episode. She's really taking initiative this episode, and I like it.

Spewpa on Ash's shoulder, it looks so weird. How is it staying in place?

Some faces were askew this ep.
Were some of those Vivillon wings at the end rendered in CG?

It was a cool episode. Nothing super memorable, but better than the one before it. I loved that Elegant Vivillon in this episode. It's too bad we'll never see it again. I loved all the running around in circles it did.

Nothing super memorable, except I really liked the action sequences and I thought Daz was a pretty good villain for the episode. Also who can forget DIGGERSBY THO! That thing was pretty powerful and the writers sure made its first appearance memorable I guess. It was an alright and watchable episode. I wish though that Serena ended up getting a Vivillon.

Diggersby is a total bro - just look at that thing. Oh, and so is Froakie.

The character design of the poacher was pretty neat I thought... dat nose and stache' . Great battle at the end but that's to be expected with this animation director. Other than that, this episode was pretty meh and didn't have much going for it. I'd prefer it if they had spent less time searching for the poacher, which was quite tedious, and more time on fleshing out the confrontation battle.

Good thing Ash didn't catch Vivillion as some had suggested. Honestly, I'm already pretty sick of seeing it after all of its prominent appearances so far.

Near the end of the episode, Officer Jenny threatened Daz with Manectric's Electro Ball.

The main Vivillon knew Tackle, String Shot, Protect, Stun Spore, and Safeguard.

Daz's Diggersby knew Mud Shot, Dig, Double Slap, and Hammer Arm.

It was an okay filler I guess.

Best part was the Spewpa all evolving at once and all the different pattern Viviyons flying away :D So beautiful

I really liked this episode and found it quite entertaining.

First of all, I really loved Clemont in this episode, (I mean, I love him in every episode, but I really liked him here). I liked how Clemont picked up Bonnie and moved her out of the way of the poacher's truck in the beginning of this episode, so cute. I also liked how his invention was once again useful for the most part and helped in tracking down the poacher. Then his idea of using Chespin to wear the Spewpa suit to lure the poacher.

I also found Serena to be nice here too. I like how she supplied the group with the Spewpa costumes, although I also wonder why she owns them, but whatever.

Then we had Ash who was the one to battle the poacher in the end. Although he was defeated with Vivillion's assistance, I thought Ash did great. Once again, I really liked the teamwork of this group. If only Dedenne would have actually been big enough to cosplay as Spewpa, then the whole group would have contributed. But regardless, I still loved Bonnie here, since they at least tried. (And I love Bonnie regardless).

So overall, a nice episode with some great teamwork. Too bad Froakie couldn't have done more against the poacher, but he'll get way more battles in the future so I'm good. And no Team Rocket, so that's another plus! 7/10.

Fairly decent episode. I don't remember another episode where the heroes track down a poacher with bait to stop him - not quite like this and as a main plot point, anyway - so this was a little different from what we've had before. Nothing too special otherwise, but still quite fun.

I just like the fact how even the bad guys are using seat belts in this show. :D

XY began with really cool camera angles for shots, I thought that was gonna become some trademark for this gen's animation, but I see that was probably just for show for the first few episodes. Now the camera angles have reverted to being more generic. Just something that annoys me a little because I really enjoyed the new perspectives.

edit: and I am still super annoyed by small moves like mud shot causing huge explosions. Tone it down, writers, imo the effects of moves are pretty exaggerated and ridiculous in this series.

XY began with really cool camera angles for shots, I thought that was gonna become some trademark for this gen's animation, but I see that was probably just for show for the first few episodes. Now the camera angles have reverted to being more generic. Just something that annoys me a little because I really enjoyed the new perspectives.
I think it really depends on who storyboards the episodes. XY has newcomer storyboarders who have done some visually exciting episodes (such as Yoshifumi Sueda who has only done the first two XY episodes); the storyboarder fro this episode has done work since AG. But I do agree with you that some of the amazing camera angles and framing we're seeing right now will go away. :-(

This episode was ok. I like how Scatterbug/Spewpa had its little run-around in a circle dance thing it did before each evolution in this episode. It was pretty cool how this particular Spewpa evolved into a Vivillon that is a different pattern than the rest of the group. I like how the evolution demonstration was using Pikachu evolving into Raichu as an example.

I'm glad Vivillon was a different pattern than the one Viola had, allowed for a different kind of battling and different attacks. Chespin and Dedenne looked very cute in their Spewpa disguises, while Ash looked funny in a giant Spewpa disguise.

I think it really depends on who storyboards the episodes. XY has newcomer storyboarders who have done some visually exciting episodes (such as Yoshifumi Sueda who has only done the first two XY episodes); the storyboarder fro this episode has done work since AG. But I do agree with you that some of the amazing camera angles and framing we're seeing right now will go away. :-(

If I may also add: Kawada Takenori's storyboard is being dictated by the episode director, Asada Yuuji. While the storyboard artist likely would be able to add his own ideas to the board, for the final say usually goes to the episode director and series director. Asada usually storyboards his episodes alone, but if he asked Kawada to draw it for him I wonder if that means Asada is busy working on a more pressing project? Perhaps storyboarding for the upcoming film or preparing for the second gym battle ahead of time? Iwane Masa'aki and Asada Yuuji are the golden pair, but Kawada has been storyboarding for them often lately. Sueda Yoshifumi likely provided the storyboard for episode #1 because Episode Director Yajima Tetsuo was busy with his duties as series director.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom