• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY013: Nymphia VS Keromatsu! Big Commotion in the Kindergarten!!

Re: XY013: Nymphia VS Keromatsu! Big Commotion in the Kindergarten!!

Haha Serena's reaction to Premier's condition :D Writers are clearly putting more gasoline to the fire just for all Amourshippers.

And they're also shipping Keromatsu with every sixth generation fox, first Fokko and now Ninfia.

Last edited:

Hmm... I liked the episode, but just for the sake of doing it I'm going to focus on the details.

It's weird to see Randy beating the glass capsule along with Ash and Froakie. If anything, I would specifically ask him to not do that. I wouldn't want a little kid to be punctured with broken glasses...

Also, isn't a little weird that Serena thought that Premier was asking Ash to go out with her, considering the minimum age difference there must be between her and Ash is 8 years? Or perhaps 10-year olds can drive cars in the Pokémon world after all... Or who knows, perhaps the main characters are a little bit older... no. It's pretty weird.

Last detail: Clemont must be pretty irresponsible to not care about Bonnie not even using a safety belt. But the car is already being driven by a under-age, so after all why caring about safety anymore?

Premier's a teacher at the kindergarten, so she's probably at least in her early twenties.

Other random points:

Satoshi was off-model a lot in this episode.

Why does this preschool only seem to have a single teacher and a principal? Shouldn't the other teachers have come out to see what all the commotion was about?

I work at an actual preschool and I can say that those little kids didn't sound like little kids at all. They didn't really talk like real little kids either.

Kojirou's constant Tsunbear puns were great.

The Rocket-Dan's "steal pokemon and drive off with them" thing worked here soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than it did in that shitty BW Battle Subway arc.

Premier's voice actress didn't get listed in the credits? I wonder why.

Satoshi was off-model a lot in this episode.
Well, I noticed that Keromatsu, Ninfia and Dedenne were off-model at some points.

Disappointed how little attention was paid to the two things that should have shocked Ash in this episode - a new evolution for Eevee and a whole new type - both casually mentioned as if they were always the case. Especially how Dedenne was mentioned as part Fairy type in passing.

Obviously using Froakie in the battle means that type advantage didn't come up here, but it would be nice if Ash showed some interest in learning about type dynamics now that they are different. The Laverre Gym is a long way away to rely on that as an introduction proper to the Fairy-type's advantages/disadvantages. Hopefully we get a more serious, Team Rocket-less, episode about Fairy types soon.

While used here basically for comedy purposes, and I liked Froakie's resulting attitude in the rest of the episode, I hope this is the last we see of Attract - way over used in BW and almost never effectively countered.

One day it would be nice to have a character being allowed to not particularly like Pokemon. Ash should recognise a bit more often that he's more of a risk taker than others - it's okay not to want to slam yourself into a glass cage.

I like Serena's concern about Premier 'going out' with Ash in this episode - they are handling that well. Serena's character isn't being defined by a crush on Ash, it's just a subtle side to her.

We're straight into things this week, as Ash battles off against a new trainer with a fairly attractive design and a new Pokemon, Sylveon. Sylveon gets to show off some new Fairy-type moves, but otherwise has an even battle with Froakie and oh for goodness sake attract again.

The anime has really taken that attack and made it a sure-fire way of winning a battle. I really hope this is the last time we see this strategy because it's getting old and ridiculous.

That minor issue aside, the plot for today's episode was typical "kid dislikes Pokemon but ends up liking them" fare. Randy got the privilege of having a flashback, where we saw he had a pretty justifiable reason for being scared of Pokemon. It would have been really interesting if that had developed into a full-blown phobia - a tragic yet amusing fear of Hoppips, maybe - since I don't think we've had anyone on this show have that sort of issue. In the end, Randy got over his fear very easily, but I actually think it would have been better if he found the courage to approach Pokemon again, but still thought of them as scary creatures that could hurt you - Pikachu's Electro Ball blew a hole in the ceiling for crying out loud - instead of suddenly declaring that they aren't as bad as he thought and his new desire to be a Pokemon trainer. Is an alternative perspective on things really much to ask for, writers?

Team Rocket's scheme was good but was resolved way too simply. I expected them to give more a fight at the end, since they've been decent opponents so far this series, so that the other characters could get involved. As it was, the rest of the gang getting in the car and chasing after Team Rocket seemed no more than a token gesture of actually doing something.

There were some bright spots during this episode, though. Froakie showed a lot of personality throughout with its attempts to look all cool and apathetic, and I especially enjoyed the way it used the falling fruit during its battle as a method of attack, which I thought was a creative way to show off its dexterity and its ninja-like characteristics. I also thought it was a nice twist that Fletchling was taken out before it could pinpoint Team Rocket's location, since it's not often Team Rocket actually notice they're being scouted. Ash was shown to be pretty competent in this episode, too. Long may that, and the good portrayal of Pokemon personality, continue.

Moe said:
I like Serena's concern about Premier 'going out' with Ash in this episode - they are handling that well. Serena's character isn't being defined by a crush on Ash, it's just a subtle side to her.

A subtle side to her that they weren't subtle at all about showing. That it received such specific attention makes me worried that it will end up defining her character, and I would expect after highlighting it as an issue in the first place that they will continue to do so throughout the show.

Last edited:

well i'm glad that serena didn't show outright jealousy (more like disbelief/shock) but what exactly was the point of hyping "tsukiau" when it played literally a three second role in the episode. i want more serena focus without reverting to old, tired and SEXIST maiden-in-love tropes pls.

forgettable episode but keromatsu is cute and eureka playing big kid to all the little kids was reaaaaalllllly cute and I still think the episode did a good job with all the characters' personalities? keromatsu sulking after losing was cute, i really like how it's very different from satoshi's other mons with that hotblooded almost samurai-like loyalty type personality.

That minor issue aside, the plot for today's episode was typical "kid dislikes Pokemon but ends up liking them" fare. Randy got the privilege of having a flashback, where we saw he had a pretty justifiable reason for being scared of Pokemon. It would have been really interesting if that had developed into a full-blown phobia - a tragic yet amusing fear of Hoppips, maybe - since I don't think we've had anyone on this show have that sort of issue. In the end, Randy got over his fear very easily, but I actually think it would have been better if he found the courage to approach Pokemon again, but still thought of them as scary creatures that could hurt you - Pikachu's Electro Ball blew a hole in the ceiling for crying out loud - instead of suddenly declaring that they aren't as bad as he thought and his new desire to be a Pokemon trainer. Is an alternative perspective on things really much to ask for, writers?

mAKE THIS INTO AN EPISODE, WRITERS

also

A subtle side her that they weren't subtle at all about showing. That it received such specific attention makes me worried that it will end up defining her character, and I would expect after highlighting it as an issue in the first place that they will continue to do so throughout the show.

this, and i touched upon it when i opened my post

serena can have as an overt crush as she wants but the show is painting it as such a big deal so far that other quirks of her characterization are getting lost in it, and it was really blatant in this episode

it's not the kind of narrative that gives her much agency, which is jarring after iris and hikari

Premier's voice actress didn't get listed in the credits? I wonder why.

This likely means Premier's voice actress had a another role in the episode that she was credited for. I guess she's one of the major recurring characters, too?

Agree with you Dude the Writer are treating like Shipping Bait which is a Very Bad thing.
I would would love to learn more about her and her past but I know that they'll Milk the FUCK out of this thing which is going to hurt the Series is the long Run.

This reminded me of ep. 8, cool battle but otherwise a fairly typical CotD filler. Not bad but not great.

Froakie using the falling fruit as a weapon was awesome, that might have been my favorite part.

Are Beedrill always assholes? Seems like it.

TR has a thing for abandoned garages. I liked their part in the ep, but my one real complaint is how Ash blasted them off before his friends arrived, that felt anticlimactic. They've been emphasizing their closeness as a team, which I really like, so seeing this one focus so much on Ash alone was a letdown.

I thought this was an okay episode. Nothing major, but not bad by any means.

Wow, Serena sounded really worried when that whole "date" thing was brought up. The battle against Sylveon was good for one that lasted about 2 minutes. What was really amazing was Froakie using the fruit that fell from the trees to attack Sylveon with. Froakie...used fruit...to fight. It's official. This guy is awesome. Then he acts all cool standing around with his arms crossed all day. I found it cute when Ash actually sat down and nudged him after he rejected Sylveon's food offer. Then he blushed and acted surprised when Sylveon thanked him for saving her. Basically Froakie seemed a lot like Sonic the Hedgehog to me in this episode.

Okay, now on to those kindergarteners... their voices were so annoying. But ignoring that, it was so cute how Bonnie bounced over to them to tell them that Pikachu likes his tail rubbed. I also found it adorable how that little girl was playing with Clemont's glasses and he wasn't the slightest bit bothered. These two always have the cutest scenes. Also, Bunnelby picking up Froakie and bringing him to the truck...adorable.

Figures Meowth would have a crush on Sylveon. Anyway, as a whole, Team Rocket was pretty lame here. I like that they didn't try to over do it here and only go for Pikachu and Sylveon, but they put up no fight in the battle with Ash so...yeah. Though I did actually find James's counting using Beartic's Japanese name to be a bit funny so...I won't say I was that annoyed by them. Also, I like how Fletchling decided to follow Ash on the truck without being asked.

And then the kid with the hat...to be honest, the only thing I liked about this kid was his hat. I mean, his story has been done before like twice so there wasn't much spectacular to it. Though I did like the little bond he made with Froakie. (Frog fist bump!)

Overall, I nice episode overall. The only things that slightly disappointed me were the extreme shortness of the battle and the fact that once again Ash saved the day while the other three didn't do anything at all. I would have liked to see Serena battle again or even Bonnie, but they'll get their time eventually so I'm good. 7/10.

Last edited:

This episode wasn't everything I hoped it would be.

With the preview, I got the impression that there would be a battle that Ash lost, then a rematch to show improvement with Froakie, but I guess that'll be saved for the Ninja episode.

Speaking of Froakie, it is definitely a replacement for Ash's Treecko.
EP284_Treecko_sobre_un_%C3%A1rbol.jpg
Mad_Treecko.png

They're so similar to each other, and share the same mannerisms such as getting angry or secluding themselves.

This episode was ok. Even though the battle was short in the beginning, I really liked it. It's too bad that Attract really made the remainder of the battle one-sided. I like how Froakie was kicking apples at Sylveon, he sure was agile doing that.

Froakie's personality was shown off a bit more, where he was upset after losing and didn't want to do anything or accept anything from anyone. The kids were much cuter than I thought they'd be in this episode. It was interesting how Landi was afraid of Pokemon due to being attacked by a Hoppip, when it really saved him from a Beedrill instead.

Meh, this kindergarten episode is a let down compared to BW!'s kindergarten episode. There was a more interesting conflict in that episode, most of the CotDs were shown to be flawed, and the moral was overall much stronger and sweeter. The action was better for me too, and I felt that the kindergarten students bonded well with their teacher too. It was more original, while this idea of being afraid of Pokemon has been used before. I also really don't like how just because a Hoppip startled Lundi with some wind and ran away Lundi developed the fear. If he saw the Hoppip and Beedrill violently battle in front of him, two wild Pokemon so close, I'd understand the fear.

The battle was good, and there was some comedy there and there, but overall the episode was kinda lame. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some writers use Team Rocket to be the conflict to not have CotDs having flaws and interesting problems. They weren't even really funny this episode, they were a lot better in episode 8 and the CotD still managed to be interesting enough. Froakie was really cute and amusing this episode! I don't regret watching it.

I think people are overreacting about how Serena acted, because hey, I'd be freaked out a bit too knowing the age difference. and have my face red over how strange that is

Another "kid-scared-of-Pokemon" storyline. Well, then.

Ha, I thought Jessie's disguise was quite cute, and that's rare for me, considering I've rarely found anything appealing about Jessie since the AG series.

This whole thing with Serena's not-so hidden feelings is intriguing. It really makes me wonder where the writers are going with it. As of now, it seems to be more of the crux to Serena's character than, say, what her trainer goal exactly is...

I agree that Ash's model seemed off a lot during this episode. When he and Pikachu reunited, I cringed at the animation. Yikes!

Slyveon's Japanese voice is so darn cute.

Need moar Clemont.

Another average filler. But I wanted to see Serena being jealous. They should have had Premiere be friendly with Ash, and Serena showing concern over it during the show and only at the end she realizes that Premiere had no intentions to actually date Ash.

They did a good job showing Froakie's personality, how he's upset and embarrassed by his loss and being friendly to the CotD kid.

They sure love their French names. I was constantly distracted by the fact that the girl's name if 'First' and the kid's is 'Monday'. I expect this to be changed in the dub, but still

Small thing I noticed about this episode was that they didn't Bonnie's "keeping" gag with Premier. Maybe it's due to how the episode started, but it looks to me that they're trying to pad out the gags better so they don't wear out their welcome as fast.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom