• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY017 - Froakie VS Frogadier! Ninja Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: XY0?? - Froakie VS Frogadier

I thought they were going to go AG-style and have Ash not have a rival... Anyway, is that rival a boy or a girl? And if it's a permanent rival, my hopes of Froakie evolving will go down to zero. As far as I remember, the Grovyle and Gliscor that Ash's Treeko and Gligar fought respectively, were one-time characters and not owned by a recurring rival like Trip's Serperior or Cameron's Samurott.
Well, Shinji was a permanent rival, who had a Dodaitose, but that didn't stop Satoshi's Naetle from evolving into Hayashigame and eventually, Dodaitose.
Whoops! Now my hopes are slightly up again. Not to mention Bianca's Pignite, which evolved into Emboar while Ash's Tepig evolved into Pignite.

Evo talk can be taken to the capture/evolution/release thread, please. But you can keep talking about the ninja girl being Ash's rival for the saga here if you want, since it relates more to the episode.

Evo talk can be taken to the capture/evolution/release thread, please. But you can keep talking about the ninja girl being Ash's rival for the saga here if you want, since it relates more to the episode.

Is it really a girl, though? I tried reading the words in the picture, but there wasn't any word or character indicating that it was a ninja girl... unless there were some details that I missed? I'd love it if it were a girl - all of Ash's main rivals have been guys, and the only major female rival was Bianca...who could hardly be taken seriously (she got all those cool evolutions and stuff, but her hyper personality made her look careless).

Hopefully, if the ninja is a permanent rival, I'd like them to be nice. Gary, Paul, and Trip were all mean guys who looked down on Ash (though Gary became much nicer after becoming a researcher), but in the last series they proved with Stephan that rivals don't have to be mean. So I'm hoping this ninja isn't a mean person. While it does look like they're trying to intimidate Ash in the picture, hopefully, they're just being confident and not bossy.

I smell a possible new rival! And he's a ninja!! I hope he's not a rival, eww he's ugly.

I'm digging it if its a rival scenario cause:
1)Ninja Rival. You just know the league battle for this will be amazing.
2)The gods have answered my prayers and are likely evolving Ash's water starter, ie the only starter that ever mattered. It only took 16 years, but hey, progress!

Hopefully, if the ninja is a permanent rival, I'd like them to be nice. Gary, Paul, and Trip were all mean guys who looked down on Ash (though Gary became much nicer after becoming a researcher), but in the last series they proved with Stephan that rivals don't have to be mean. So I'm hoping this ninja isn't a mean person. While it does look like they're trying to intimidate Ash in the picture, hopefully, they're just being confident and not bossy.

Yeah, I'd love to see a serious rival who's friendly, or at least not a jerk. I think a ninja rival could be like a non-asshole version of Paul - obsessed with getting stronger, but honorable instead of cruel.

I can't tell if the ninja is supposed to be a girl or boy either, the facial features aren't clear enough in that pic.

Yeah, I'd love to see a serious rival who's friendly, or at least not a jerk. I think a ninja rival could be like a non-asshole version of Paul - obsessed with getting stronger, but honorable instead of cruel.

I can't tell if the ninja is supposed to be a girl or boy either, the facial features aren't clear enough in that pic.

The best part of paul was that he was an asshole who showed ash that he can't expect to coast by on the power of friendship alone. He actually does need to properly train his pokemon over a long period.

*shuffles around papers* Hey, Frogadier is appearing early, that's coo-- NO FROAKIE WHATEVER YOU DO don't go the way of the SquirltleTotodilePiplulpOshawott!!

I'm going to be very disappointed if "lol Froakie iz strong alreddy, he needs not too evolve heehee :)" is in Fraokie's cards. Sampei seems like the jerktard rival this series, which is coo', man.

The best part of paul was that he was an asshole who showed ash that he can't expect to coast by on the power of friendship alone. He actually does need to properly train his pokemon over a long period.

I love what Paul brought to the show, but why do a retread? Someone who's just as serious about training his Pokemon but isn't a jerk is something we haven't seen yet.

Froakie gets two battles less than five episodes apart. Looks like individual Pokemon focus has returned to the series.

snip

I love what Paul brought to the show, but why do a retread? Someone who's just as serious about training his Pokemon but isn't a jerk is something we haven't seen yet.

Stephan from BW. I know he wasn't a permanent rival, but in the end he turned out to be the best rival in BW, imo. He was serious about training. He cared about his pokemons, and he had a friendly rivalry with Ash.

Rivals don't have to be jerks to appeal. A main rival who knows honor and respect would be a very nice change from the previous series. If this ninja is arrogant...well, depending on how they handle him/her, I guess they'd be likable. Though, still I'd prefer a nice person.

Sampei/Sanpei is a boy's name, just a heads up.

Froakie gets two battles less than five episodes apart. Looks like individual Pokemon focus has returned to the series.
If you mean something like the starters will get the most focus in the series this time around, then I can see how that's a bad thing. I wouldn't worry about that so early in the series. Ash only has 3 pokemon on hand (Pikachu, Fletchling, Fraokie) Serena only has Fennekin, and Clemont/Bonnie have 3 as well (Bunnelby, Dedenne, Chespin). When Ash has a full roster, then worry. I rather not another BW thing where even though Ash had 9(?) Pokemon in total, it was always Pikachu/Starters with maybe Scraggy with the most focus.

Right now they are just showing off the personalities. Froakie might not get another focus episode for another 15 episodes, who knows?

I hope he is a Rival recurring character for one or more episodes or just a COTD who helps out Ash and Froakie with a new move after having a battle against each other. By rival recurring character I mean one that's only around for a few consecutive episodes instead of throughout the series. He definitely looks like he'll have a great personality to show off in this episode.

Stephan from BW. I know he wasn't a permanent rival, but in the end he turned out to be the best rival in BW, imo. He was serious about training. He cared about his pokemons, and he had a friendly rivalry with Ash.

Rivals don't have to be jerks to appeal. A main rival who knows honor and respect would be a very nice change from the previous series. If this ninja is arrogant...well, depending on how they handle him/her, I guess they'd be likable. Though, still I'd prefer a nice person.
Kenyan was a permanent rival, only not the main rival in BW (sadly, he would have made a much better rival than Shootie and Kotetsu).

But I get your point and I agree. I love Shinji's character, but they should avoid extremely serious or jerk rivals this time, imo.

Anyway, wasn't the ninja a girl?

If you ask me Froakie starts to be overused. This ep, the first eps of the saga, the coming Sylveon ep...

It looks like maybe the Generation VI version of Smack Down? since they are high up in the trees. It's pretty cool seeing them both training in the trees, and Froakie learning Double Team to help take down the next mecha.

It could also be Pound, and it being a move that Froakie's revealed to learn instead of being taught. Which would make Double Team the one move he learns in this episode.

Last edited:

So it looks like they are rounding off Froakie's move set for now. Sweet. I like that we are getting a few focus eps already. Much rather they establish a story and a personality early on so we get to properly know a pokemon before more come along and the spotlight gets diluted. Hopefully Fletchling gets a few more too before it evolves.

The mecha TRio used when Froakie used Double Team was ninja-themed, so that scene happened in this episode.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed that Froakie can use that move. I know it's a ninja-esque attack, but Double Team is already a bit repetitive since Fletchling can also use it.

As for Froakie's other move, anything goes. The move animations are not the same as they were in BW, but they sure aren't exactly the pre-BW animations either.

Another new move (besides Double Team)?
http://live2.ch/jlab-tv/2/k/s/tv1387448802033.jpg (hmm... Rock Smash, Power-up Punch or something else?)

Smack Down could be a possibility,they are jumping from trees and what not, but I'm going to swing more towards Pound.

It looks like maybe the Generation VI version of Smack Down? since they are high up in the trees. It's pretty cool seeing them both training in the trees, and Froakie learning Double Team to help take down the next mecha.

It could also be Pound, and it being a move that Froakie's revealed to learn instead of being taught. Which would make Double Team the one move he learns in this episode.

It reminded me of that Battle Frontier episode where Ash was running with his Sceptile in the forest.

Yeah, I thought Pound would make more sense being a simple animation like that.

So it looks like they are rounding off Froakie's move set for now. Sweet. I like that we are getting a few focus eps already. Much rather they establish a story and a personality early on so we get to properly know a pokemon before more come along and the spotlight gets diluted. Hopefully Fletchling gets a few more too before it evolves.

I'm glad that Froakie is getting a polished moveset early on, because it's obvious it's gonna play a major role later on in the series (If it evolves)

The mecha TRio used when Froakie used Double Team was ninja-themed, so that scene happened in this episode.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed that Froakie can use that move. I know it's a ninja-esque attack, but Double Team is already a bit repetitive since Fletchling can also use it.

As for Froakie's other move, anything goes. The move animations are not the same as they were in BW, but they sure aren't exactly the pre-BW animations either.

So can Pikachu, but with it's speed, Quick Attack is a better option.

I hope he is a Rival recurring character for one or more episodes or just a COTD who helps out Ash and Froakie with a new move after having a battle against each other. By rival recurring character I mean one that's only around for a few consecutive episodes instead of throughout the series. He definitely looks like he'll have a great personality to show off in this episode.

I can see that being plausible.

In the the new upcoming episodes trailer, we see Froakie using Double Team on a Team Rocket mecha which sort of resembles a Ninja.
FroNin.png
We also see Sempei's Frogadier using what appears to be Double Team in the same episode but the animation made it look like Quick Attack so I'm not sure.
GreNin.png
Up until now it's shown no knowledge of having Double Team in it's arsenal, so I think it's highly likely that it will learn it in that episode.

Oh yeah, I'm new to the forum so it's nice to meet you, and Merry Christmas all.~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom