• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY018: Wake Up Kabigon! Battle in Parfum Palace!

Well, various tings to comment.
-Pikacu vs Trimmmien... technically wins but because Princess Ally retires Trimmien after a Thunderbolt.
-Princess Ally is very rude... and finally give the Pokeflute with the exchange of... Citron (!) in her hands. Obviously, Citron doesn't like to go with Princess Ally.
-Rocket Dan appears. Not much here (next episode is another story) but we could see what it could mean a Sakaki fantasy!? Sakaki is depicted as Sakaki here.

-And if you are hoping about SatoSere, you got CitroAlly. There are points of the episoe where they try to avoid Serena to talk, reinforcing the VA problem theory made by me.

I've only seen screenshots, but so far it looks like one of those dumb, nonsensical episodes that I always enjoy from this show. I like how the episode seems to end with no real indication of how Clemont's going to get his jumpsuit back. Can't wait to actually see it.

I like how the episode seems to end with no real indication of how Clemont's going to get his jumpsuit back.
Presumably there's spares sitting in that costume box of Serena's - so Clemont will have to cosplay himself for the rest of the series.

Everything in this episode seemed done before, just like the in game event it is based on. The little bits of humour like how bad Jessie was at playing the PokeFlute and the plot with Clemont helped make it not a chore to sit through - but it's a forgettable episode.

There's one thing I'll always think about in this episode:

SHIT GETS REAL IN THE BOSS FANTASIES! :eek:

Oh, please tell me this is the start of a gloriously awesome trend! 8)

So, we have ourselves a sleeping Snorlax whose snoring is causing trouble (and I think he might also be blocking a well). Ash doesn't obviously (though I don't speak Japanese, so there could be some reference) remember any of his earlier encounters with Snorlax, but it's okay because someone suggests they go get a Pokeflute from a fat guy with a crown in order to wake it up and shift it.

The crowned guy rejects their begging, eventually revealing that the Pokeflute was taken from him by a little girl. Team Rocket, inexplicably stuffed inside a suit of armour inside this drawbridge-defended castle, hear about the Flute and decide it'd be a great way to give the boss an army of Snorlax, which admittedly would be better than some of the stupid gifts they've thought of in the past.

Ash and the gang waste no time in breaking into the little girl's private estate, heedless of trespass laws, and are soon facing off against her, her poodle and a quartet of sycophantic petal-tossing maids. The little girl seems unmoved by whatever pleas they offer for the flute, but reckons Ash's Pikachu is pretty sweet, so she'll take it. Ash seems strangely reluctant to just let her have it, so she tries to entice him with a trolley of shiny stuff.

As Ash is still reluctant to give up his battery mouse, she tempts him instead with a wager on a some blood sport, and they decide to battle, with Ash's stake being Pikachu and hers presumably the Pokeflute, Clemont refereeing. Her Furfrou shows off some neat battling, countering Quick Attack and Iron Tail, then launching what might've been Hyper Beam (if not, perhaps Charge Beam). Pikachu counters and lands a Thunderbolt, messing up Furfrou's hairdo and prompting the little girl to have it rushed straight to the stylist for emergency treatment, casually forfeiting the match.

Turns out the reason she was so blazé about rushing Furfrou off is she never had any intention of holding her side of the wager with these travelling peasants. Clemont gets irked and shouts at her, and apparently she likes that in a man, because she quickly hammers out a deal with Bonnie (with Serena as counsel) to exchange the Pokeflute for him. Ash offers no help to the enslaved Clemont, and the trio skip off with the Pokeflute, leaving Clemont to be sexually ravaged or forcefed tea or something.

Back in town, Team Rocket swiftly nab the Pokeflute, and try to use it, but it turns out that they lack the talent, because Snorlax shadow-balls them away in irritation. Of course, they drop the thing in blastoff, and there's a happy resolution where the fat man plays a tune while Snorlax scoffs berries.

But wait, what about Clemont? The trio were about to leave without him, but sadly he managed to get away, running down the road in his underwear (which honestly makes him look less odd than that jumpsuit/pyjama thing) and explaining how he deviously left a robot in his place. Cut to the little girl being blown up by what she expected to be her slave/husband/lover, and we can get the hell out of town.

seeing clemont's victorian england bloomers was the entire point of the episode right

The Part towards the End with Clemont Running back to Ash, Serena, and Bonnie without his Clothes WAS HILARIOUS IMO

i think this ranks up there with one of my favorite episodes of all time omg it was hilarious i'm still crylaughing

slightly nsfw summary of the episode:
eureka, serena, and satoshi sell citron for forced prostitution in exchange for a phallic object you blow into and finger

To be honest, it was more boring than I thought it was going to be (like in was in the previews - I gave it a 5 or 6 from the 'next episode preview'). Even the battle wasn't too exciting for me
Pikachu & the horrible looking Furfrou - I hate it when people dress up their pets so I'm the same way in Pokemon, should have just kept it it's normal color
the only slightly exciting part was the Boss Fantasy.

For me not too good, around 3 out of 10 seems fair to me, and also no Fennekin or Chespin to make the episode more fun.

I don't feel as if this episode can get a full review so I will just point out the main parts I thought were interesting...

-The episode seemed really rushed. And the general plot was ridiculous. Are you telling me that no one in that town was capable of getting the flute back from the little girl?

-If I see ONE MORE FURFROU USE CHARGE BEAM AS THE GO TO SPECIAL FAR RANGED ATTACK I SWEAR.

And as a side note, they still haven't debuted or mentioned its Fur Coat ability! This would have been the perfect chance especially as one of the gang is battling it. Ash could have made note and then realized he should only use special attacks, then proceed with the Thunderbolt and so on and so on.

-The princess, or Arihime was it? Anyway, she clearly took lessons from those three snobby Unova girls whom Iris put in their place with Snivy and Emolga.

-Team Rocket's role was very bland. The boss fantasy was okay and not like the usual funny ones Meowth comes up with.

-Hey we did indeed get the Parfum Palace fireworks!

-Clemont running down in his bloomers was hilarious. Bloomers! I think the princess should be a recurring character in that she keeps trying to bring Clemont back with her (a la Jessiebelle). That would be funny.

-I wish Parfrum palace and Route 6 would have been explored more. The Palace could have a funny episode to itself such as the gang getting lost, etc. Serena spends the fireworks with Ash or something. And they could have a funny episode in Route 6 due to all the high grass. Idk, something. Wasted potential.

Meh

It seemed like Tamagawa helped out in another episode done by Natsume. Interesting - guess Iwane isn't helping out in Natsume-episodes anymore (he has his hands full with his own episodes, I'm sure).

This episode reinforced just what a fantastic character Clemont is. So many hilarious opportunities and the writers make use of ALL of them and even then add some. Fantastic!

They did a good job adapting the maze garden. It was beautiful.

It was a rather average episode, but Citron was fantastic in every scene. My biggest complaint would be how so few Pokemon appeared in the background scenes, but that's just something that bugs me. I also didn't like Team Rocket being in this episode just because, but Musashi's horrifying flute playing was the best part of the episode for me.

This episode was okay. Not the most interesting, but not bad by any means.

The first few minutes before meeting the Princess were rather boring, though I did find the king to be rather hilarious. Then when we got to Princess Allie, the real entertaining stuff happens, but seriously, Princess Allie is really short. How old is she? Anyway, Princess Allie grabbing Pikachu and trying to bride the group with money were hilarious, as were the group's reactions. The battle against the Furfrou was okay, though pretty short. I must say that I liked seeing a different Furfrou trim even though I don't like Matron all that much. (Still waiting for Dandy.) But after the battle, it gets better. now this chick wants CLEMONT! Funniest thing ever. And the group actually trades him for the Pokeflute! His reaction was priceless.

I didn't care for Team Rocket at all here. Pretty pointless. Though I will admit that Jessie's flute playing was rather amusing. And with that then after that we get the best part of this episode. Clemont running towards the group in his damn underwear! I LOVED Serena's reaction to seeing him. I also found it funny that he didn't seem overly embarrassed himself. And that robot blowing up in Allie's face was the best way to punish her. Another moment I particularly liked was Dedenne popping out of Bonnie's bag and then going back in 2 seconds later. I don't know why, but I liked that.

So yeah, overall it was nice once we got to Allie. 7.5/10

I wasn't expecting to see Clemont in bloomers. It was still funny! Now we know what's underneath that jumpsuit. Now I think his grandma or aunt buys his clothes because usually women wear bloomers. I guess they don't know what boys wear. What's up with Clemont's family? Why are they buying him bloomers? I fangirled like crazy he looked hot. I couldn't be quiet I wanted to see this. He reminded me of Brock too, he wears a women's apron and we He's not a girl! And this isn't the 1800s-early 1990s.
seeing clemont's victorian england bloomers was the entire point of the episode right
Apparently it is and I think it was only there for the fangirls too. It worked I fangirled all day.

I'm surprised he wasn't embarrassed. I would if I was running down the streets in my underwear. And isn't that illegal? A guy can go in public shirtless (now I want a whole episode of shirtless Clemont just to see him walk the streets shirtless). If he's not embarrased he can be shirtless on the streets. But he can't go in public in his underwear. It'd be ten times funnier if he was getting chased by Officer Jenny. I thought it was out of character for Clemont not to be embarrassed, because he looks like that type of guy. He's probably freezing, the cooling of the night air. I hope he didn't catch a cold! But I see the underwear as they're for "Shirtless Clemont is coming soon". It's just like being pregnant. Well Princess Allie is mean and she loves Clemont, maybe planning to get married and have a bunch of cute little babies. But luckily escaped. Well I was wondering about his jumpsuit, well he has it back in the preview. Either the king was nice enough to give it back or Serena made him a new one just like the old one.

And that shot!
XY018_error_3.png
OMG! It's the hottest shot ever! His body!

How old is the Princess too? She looks eight or a dwarf teen, either one. lol

tumblr_n1o5wcDGu81r2en1ko4_1280.png
When my friend saw this shot she was like "His socks look like Bugsy's socks" low and behold, they do.

How did Clemont get his shirt back next episode? (Maybe he have spares, but if he did have them, why wouldn't he wear it before going to Ash and co?)

Well it's a jumpsuit there could be three possibilities, he did he was just in too big of a hurry to put it on, he doesn't Serena made him a new one, or he doesn't the king was nice enough to return it. Yeah but I agree with Sunyshore, the whole point of this episode was to see what's really underneath his jumpsuit they just had to have a complete story.

Attachments

• XY018_error_3.png
    XY018_error_3.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,760
Last edited:
And isn't that illegal? A guy can go in public shirtless (now I want a whole episode of shirtless Clemont just to see him walk the streets shirtless). But he can't go in public in his underwear.

I don't know where you live to say for certain, but it seems very unlikely that that's true -- there's no definition of 'underwear' that I'm aware of which wouldn't exclude, for example, people in swimming gear. In the UK it's not even illegal to go around naked (though if people get offended, there is an indecency offence).

Anyway, earlier in the episode, the gang break into private property, which is illegal in most places. The Pokemon world seems pretty lax when it comes to such things (possibly linked to ten-year-olds being allowed to raise dangerous creatures for battle).

Well, Pokeflute wasn't introduced in the Anime up until now? I can't remember.

How did Clemont get his shirt back next episode? (Maybe he have spares, but if he did have them, why wouldn't he wear it before going to Ash and co?)

Ah and I love the way that Princess' hair end up the same as her Pokemon's. Ha ha.

Wow, I got a deja vu of the tunnel from fourth movie during this episode - TWICE.

This episode really stood out with all those facial impression. There was plenty of them, and they were all great. Eureka with koban eyes, frustrated Satoshi, Citron in general...there's too many to list. Oh yeah, and the decoy Citron in the end of episode. And Citron running in in his underwear. Priceless.

If I heard correctly, when Musashi played that irritating tune and made Kabigon mad, the music from Pokémon X and Y Firing the Ultimate Weapon was played. An Eternal Prison was played briefly, too.

Actually, it was introduced in the Kabigon episode during Kanto saga. I remember that episode pretty well since I had it taped on VHS.

Actually, it was introduced in the Kabigon episode during Kanto saga. I remember that episode pretty well since I had it taped on VHS.

Ah thanks for telling me. But why didn't Ash recognize the item when they mention it? (well... continuity problem again)

EDIT: Rewatched to check, Ash didn't show that he have no idea what that item is, my mistake :p
Team Rocket, however, have no idea what it is.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom