• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY019: Madame X's Plot! The Scary Calamanero!!

Well I don't think that's something the writers are losing any sleep over given the number of times they've ignored Maa'ika's immunity to Psychic-Type moves thus far.

I definitely agree with what's been said about this episode, I really enjoyed it. Granted, it would've benefitted from being a two-parter, but the pacing overall was well done and Malamar is a really creepy and interesting villain. I hope it does come back because I'd love to see more of what its plans are.

This episode was ok. I really liked the creepy music in the background. When everyone was under Hypnosis, their zombie-like expressions were amusing. I was a bit disappointed that there was no indication of who Malamar was working for.

Okay so I just viewed the subbed version of this episode...and lets just cover characters

Team Rocket: I loved how their goal and one of their main purposes was mentioned and seemingly renewed. It is actually quite ironic because I had complained earlier in their discussion thread on how I wanted their goal of stealing Pikachu to be highlighted once more like they used to pre-BW.

I think they were great this episode and Meowth countering Malamar’s Hypnosis with Fury Swipes was smart. I think the highlight of the episode itself was the very end when they realized that such a horrifying Pokemon is actually cute little Inkay’s evolution. That was hilarious. I also think it was great that TR and the gang finally have an episode where they interact together rather than against each other or not at all. XY is really pleasing.

I had an issue with the way Meowth stumbled into Ash and co. though. That was blatantly like the Meowth arc in Unova, thus a little deviation would have been nice. And the fact that James had Inkay use Psybeam…on a Dark Type. I’m just going to say it he was in the heat of the moment and wanted to blast the Malamar with something.

Ash: I actually really hated him this episode. The main angst stems from the fact that he simply let Pikachu be taken away by Malamar’s Psychic. Um, hello do you not have Fletchling? Razor Wind that shit and disrupt its hypnosis! Or at least chase it? Have Froakie cover its spots with its Frubbles? Nope, I’m just going to pointlessly run after it…possibly to never see it again as it floats off ever higher into the sky.

Then the whole brainwashed Pikachu zap Ash bit. Disregarding the infamous fact that this scenario has already been seen several times in the anime, he was getting continuously zapped by 100,000 volts of electricity…head on. What? Really writers? It’s unbelievable crap like that that really interrupts the seriousness of the episode (at least for me). They could have done that scene differently. No human being would have survived that.

I did like how Ash was innovative enough to have Meowth scratch him too though. Also more Ash fanboying over Clemont’s extremely flammable hobby.

Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Officer Jenny: They were all okay. Serena, like usual, wasn’t doing much in the episode. I did like how she along with Bonnie and Dedenne were initially skeptical of Meowth’s actions. Good to know Ash’s newbies officially dislike Team Rocket and understand how bad they can potentially be. I also thought it was amusing she would take eternal mind control over a temporarily scratched face any day. Yup…that says a lot about her character. It also would have been nice to see her subdue the enemy Pokemon again with Fennekin like she did in the ninth episode…but nope.

Clemont’s invention actually substantially helped! Wow that’s a first! (Okay second if you count the one with Parfum princess). Also I found this explosion scene to be the funniest of them all so far. Apart from that, he really wasn’t doing it for me. I too would expect him to utilize one of his Pokémon to repel Malamar and protect his little sister….but nope.

Officer Jenny way to get caught. Seriously what is up with the cast not exploring dangerous, dark places with their Pokémon partners? Maybe her Manetric could have zapped the thing or something…but nope. I did really like how she was Madame X though. Despite the fact we see her motorcycle halfway in the episode, a viewer could still not suspect that she is the same person which I praise the writers for.

Malamar: Ah the titular Pokémon. I have mixed feelings about Malamar. On the one hand, I really liked it. It was fresh, the anime made good use of its innate abilities, and it pretty much seemed to be the winner in the end. It’s strong, can control anyone, had somewhat of an army going on, and truly is…evil (even worse than that little Togepi). Also, that scream halfway through the episode when Ash and Meowth escaped from it. But on the other hand, it failed my expectations.

-It practically led the gang to its location
-For a Pokémon controlling everyone, “Madame X” treated and referred to it as if she was its trainer. Shouldn’t that have been the other way around…?
-Blew up its base because humans found it…the humans you led…to your secret base…okay…
-Had several controlled Pokémon present already that remained idle as Ash eventually freed Pikachu and proceeded to attack with James

Overall though, I did like its character. I hope it comes back (especially under Team Flare’s ownership) as a recurring antagonistic Pokémon is a neat idea.

This episode was ok. I really liked the creepy music in the background. When everyone was under Hypnosis, their zombie-like expressions were amusing. I was a bit disappointed that there was no indication of who Malamar was working for.

This is only a hypothetical, but I think it could work very well to have the writers delay the Team Flare plot in favour of adapting the X2/Y2/Z/whatever version of the plot while using characters like Malamar to slowly build up to that without writing the plot into a corner (as opposed to say B2W2 being about Neo Team Plasma before the show could do anything with the original plot).

I liked this episode more than I thought I would! Malamar was a great villain, and the fact that he'll likely reappear is exciting. He was a strong threat and he really did sound like he couldn't be stopped. It was really luck that saved the day, so the next time he shows up the cast might not be as lucky as they were. His goal of making a new world does sound like he might really be working with Team Flare, which was really refreshing and needed because before this episode the show lacked a sub plot. It wasn't doing bad, but I was losing interest and really needed an episode like this to get me excited.

Most of the characters did pretty good too, I liked Team Rocket the most, and for a nice change they got to be more prominent than Ash's companions. I also liked how Pikachu didn't totally overcome Malamar's control, and how the resolution came from Clemont's invention blowing up on Malamar. It was still the least interesting part of the episode anyway.

During the first half I had low expectations. I mean, it became obvious who the woman was. But the way it was handled was done very well.
The point stopped being about 'who is she', and the story itself was very nice.

But more importantly. XY seems to be breaking yet another taboo in the series. A Pokemon with actual evil intentions! A recurring one that went as far as to control humans for said evil intentions, whatever they are.

I think I love XY more and more.

I never knew Clemont was a really good nurse. He's like a pro in that field. I bet Clemont got nursing training, CPR training, and First Aid training. He probably has this first aid kit with ointments, creams, medicines, band-aids, bandages, etc. He has the skills to be a Pokémon nurse! Clemont's invention was cool. And them possessed is just interesting and scary.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom