• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY021: Debut! Serena and Fokko on Pokévision!!

Re: XY021: Time to Debut! PokéVision with Serena and Fennekin!!

I will give this episode a 5/10 in general but has two parts, the episode gets a 7/10 but Serena character 2/10.. I don't find the epsiode bad but I don't like how Serena is treated. Got screentime, yes, but I noticed exactly the problems that I expect from a VA problem: Voice being too bland (even with K... audio I notice it), her friends (specially Clemont) and team Rocket taking a lot fos creentiem together, Serena not doing commands at all with her Fennekin and I fear liking the video too much, to be honest. I will get info from translators from the end of the episode.

I love that the writers remembered how much Musashi loves to act. It's been so long since we've seen that side of her that I was afraid it was going to be forgotten about like, say, Kojirou's love of bottelcaps. The fact that Musashi got so caught up in her acting that she let Pikachu get away - and *then* the fact that Kojirou called her out on it - was quite funny.

Fokko has a personality now! Yeah, it's had glimpes of it in the past, but this is the first time I've actually felt like there's something more to the little fox pokemon than "token Fire-Type starter." The fact that it now knows Flamethrower makes me hopeful that it'll be used in battles more often in the future.

Oh, and Eureka dubbing over Citron for his online dating video is my favorite Eureka / Citron moments yet.

Was I the only person who, when looking at Filb.de's screencaps of the episode, saw the guy riding Iwark and thought "Shinji?"

I haven't been following the anime like I used to... So, did it already know that move or is it the first time? (resembles Psyshock a little, imo)
tk6y8te.png

Was I the only person who, when looking at Filb.de's screencaps of the episode, saw the guy riding Iwark and thought "Shinji?"
Nupz, you aren't the only one :p

Sooooooo....

-PokeVision is actually kind of cool. Cooler than I thought it would be. A great way to bond with a Pokemon.

-Fokko! Finally, the starter finally gets an explicit personality like her fellow Kalos starters. So apparently she really takes pride in her appearance and just hates getting dirty. Although we've seen aspects of this before in a Pokemon, I don't think its been as substantial as hers so I like it. I hope Ms. Priss is let out of her ball more often.

-Ash votes to not participate in the female companions's goal in favor of Gym Battle training? My, which familiar saga have we seen this before? Ohohohohohohoho

-The interactions between the Blonde Squad were all great.

-Yay for Team Rocket sillyness! About time they brought it back! Jessie's desire for more PokeVision clips over their mission of securing Pikachu and co. reminds me of her Coordinator days. Great to see that dynamic again.

-The fact that Bakeccha was instructed to use Frustration speaks to me. Is Jessie not particularly close to it yet? I hope the writers eventually make Frustration become Return, to comment on their eventual closeness (hopefully).

-So Fennekin knows Psyshock. And has learned Flamethrower...pretty advanced moves for something that has never battled...

-The mud scene was really great, and well done. Serena's bond with Fokko is clear and powerful. Fokko really cares for her and is extremely protective of Serena. In fact, just watching this episode makes me glad she hasn't caught another Pokemon (yet). I feel that it would intrude on what Serena and Fokko have. That is...if the writers continue to showcase their bond frequently instead of occasionally (we haven't seen bond/cuddle/interact since around Santalune City).

-The online dating video Bonnie did for Clemont, and the scuffle between Horubii and Harimaron at the end was really funny.

Overall, neat episode.

I really enjoyed this one. Seeing Serena and Fennekin in the spotlight was nice.

Wow it seemed that Serena and Fennekin were a bit jealous when Ash was talking about that other girl's Fennekin video. Nice to see both of them wanting to try out a new activity.

I actually liked how Ash went to train for his gym battle before helping out with the movie. One, he's taking time to think of a strategy before the gym and two, we get to see Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont interact with each other.

I love how Clemont was so shy in front of the camera. But Bonnie having to do a voice over for him was so hilarious. I also loved seeing Bonnie hold the microphone and hold that large bag over her shoulder during those 2 later filming scenes. Clemont's invention was pretty funny as well. At least it didn't blow up on his own. Wow, Fennekin is really prissy ain't she. Just getting upset over little accidents and shooting Ember's at people. But regardless, I like that she's showing more personality now. Though I wish she wasn't as petty.

WTF was up with Jessie's face. Her hair, that makeup...she looked so hideous. My gosh. And why did they stop to have a drink and film after stealing the group's Pokemon and leave them in an unguarded cave. And what was that move Fennekin use in the cave? It looked like some weird Will-O-Wisp.

So, Fennekin doesn't like water? I mean, I get that it's a fire-type, but my gosh. The water wasn't even that deep. At least Serena was brave enough to run in the line of Team Rocket's attacks to go try to rescue her. I'm glad Fennekin learned a new move here. Though I kind of wish it wasn't Flamethrower since it's so overused. But whatever, it's better than nothing.

I loved the final video. It was adorable. Seeing Serena and Fennekin bond in this was nice and I hope they get more time to shine together in the future. Oh, and that last video with Clemont and his Pokemon...that was the best. I give this an 8/10.

Sooooooo....

-PokeVision is actually kind of cool. Cooler than I thought it would be. A great way to bond with a Pokemon.

-Fokko! Finally, the starter finally gets an explicit personality like her fellow Kalos starters. So apparently she really takes pride in her appearance and just hates getting dirty. Although we've seen aspects of this before in a Pokemon, I don't think its been as substantial as hers so I like it. I hope Ms. Priss is let out of her ball more often.

-Ash votes to not participate in the female companions's goal in favor of Gym Battle training? My, which familiar saga have we seen this before? Ohohohohohohoho

Yeah I remember Ash basically snubbed May all the time. XD I don't remember about him snubbing Dawn tho, I think he was a little bit more involved in Dawn's quest.

Looks like Iwane Masa'aki was corralled providing key animation this week? Hoho. I wonder how this is going to affect his chances of providing key animation for Satoshi versus Zakuro? Oh well, we'll see once the schedule comes out.

Well, that's certainly unexpected. I was convinced Iwane was finished doing key animation under other Supervisors... Since XY01 and XY02, he hasn't done key animation for anybody, not even the two supervisors he has almost always done key animation for (Natsume Kunihiko and An'noura Tatsuya). Nice surprise!

After checking out the episode, it appears he did the battle against Team Rocket near the end (dat Jessie pokeball toss!)

More specifically, starting from when James sends out Inkay to attack Serena, until this cut:

attachment.php

Last edited:
I found it interesting that Bunnelby was just as nervous as its trainer when it was filmed.

Guess the writers haven't forgotten that a Pokemon can adopt its trainer's characteristics if they spend enough time together.

It also seems that Ash doesn't plan on improving Froakie's Quick Attack, since he wanted Pikachu to practice Quick Attack, and Fletchling/Froakie to use Double Team, during their training.

eureka do you really think the ~ladies~ would want the man belonging to the high-pitched voice of a 6-8 year old girl protruding from a short, dorkish megane

never change, dear. never change.

Looks like Iwane Masa'aki was corralled providing key animation this week? Hoho. I wonder how this is going to affect his chances of providing key animation for Satoshi versus Zakuro? Oh well, we'll see once the schedule comes out.

Well, that's certainly unexpected. I was convinced Iwane was finished doing key animation under other Supervisors... Since XY01 and XY02, he hasn't done key animation for anybody, not even the two supervisors he has almost always done key animation for (Natsume Kunihiko and An'noura Tatsuya). Nice surprise!

Iwane does appear to work under a credited Chief Animation Supervisor, so I suspect that he isn't adverse to working under other animation supervisors, he merely prefers to work alone. I think he got tired of correcting the work of bad key animators and simply decided it would be easier to just do all of the key animation himself. Heck, if his previous key animators were that bad he probably was re-doing their cuts from scratch.

Really liked this episode - a good mix of developing the various characters and Pokemon, as well as being fun.

Words fail me for describing how cute Serena and Fennekin were in this episode, those outfits, Fennekin wearing a mini version of Serena's had, the ribbons, Serena's impression of Fennekin, etc. - a perfect Pokemon pairing. I was annoyed as always that they forgot Pokemon can be recalled to Pokeballs - especially considering how short the distance over the puddle was - which would have solved everything in that situation, but good for Fennekin to have a battle.

Though not sure why Pikachu had to make it into the video, and that apron looked way too much like Pikachu was wearing a skirt. Celmont's video at the end was great as well - Bunnelby also manages to keep developing its personality with minimal screen time.

Team Rocket were great, Wobbuffet being the only one drinking out of a bucket was the most random thing I've seen in ages on the show. They struck the right balance by having the attempt to capture the Pokemon being an absolute minimal part of the episode - so they could get on with the far more interesting video making. All of them seemed far more 'in character' than they have in a while imo.

I don't think there's a side-quest in the PR Videos, but it made for a very good episode.

This episode was ok. I liked the funny outtakes with Clemont near the end of the episode, with Bonnie having to do the voice since Clemont was so nervous. Fennekin sure showed a lot of personality in this episode, attacking Ash when getting mad about being dirty.

I liked that Fennekin learned possibly Psyshock (though unknown), and Flamethrower. It was a surprise to see Pumpkaboo learn Frustration.

Really liked this episode - a good mix of developing the various characters and Pokemon, as well as being fun.

Words fail me for describing how cute Serena and Fennekin were in this episode, those outfits, Fennekin wearing a mini version of Serena's had, the ribbons, Serena's impression of Fennekin, etc. - a perfect Pokemon pairing. I was annoyed as always that they forgot Pokemon can be recalled to Pokeballs - especially considering how short the distance over the puddle was - which would have solved everything in that situation, but good for Fennekin to have a battle.

Though not sure why Pikachu had to make it into the video, and that apron looked way too much like Pikachu was wearing a skirt. Celmont's video at the end was great as well - Bunnelby also manages to keep developing its personality with minimal screen time.

Team Rocket were great, Wobbuffet being the only one drinking out of a bucket was the most random thing I've seen in ages on the show. They struck the right balance by having the attempt to capture the Pokemon being an absolute minimal part of the episode - so they could get on with the far more interesting video making. All of them seemed far more 'in character' than they have in a while imo.

I don't think there's a side-quest in the PR Videos, but it made for a very good episode.

Oh my gosh, I totally didn't think of this. Deus ex machina much. Makes the whole latter part of the episode feel so unnecessary now.

I love how they're keeping Serena's crush on Ash so obvious on the show. Like, how she was worried when Ash said "so cute!", and then getting relieved when he added that he was referring to the Fennekin. Also, the fact she asked Ash specifically how her promo video was. Serena, why are you so adorable XD

Another part of the show I enjoyed was the filming of the promo video. In the games, you're restricted to the studio, but I like how you could film cooking and dressing up in the anime.

Citron's reference to Pokewood was also a nice one :)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom