• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY036: A Sky Battle!? Luchabull VS Fiarrow!!

It would appear this has yet to be mentioned. Iwane Masa'aki is the third credited key animator for this episode. This is the second Studio Cockpit episode in the rotation, which is usually led by Natsume Kunihiko, so it's no surprise Natsume asked his senior to handle some action cuts.

I am certainly disgusted. Awful episode.

So many cliches.
- A weaker foe gains the stronger's respect due to TR.
- An evolution that wasn't deserved.
- Sudden winner traits which are based on absolute NOTHING. Fletchling wasn't nohwere near of being a winner. It wasn't even capable of chasing TR properly for god's sake!
- Ash's opponent uses great tactics in the 1st fight and awful tactics in the following one. I mean who would attack an opponent in a sky-battle (while there are up and down) from such close range while thinking he gained the upper hand.
- When Fletchling lands a hit, Talonflame (which weighs nearly 15 Fletchling) seriously suffers. But Fletchling hangs on in a fire blast?! Yeah. Sure. Right. Get out.

That humiliating attitude of Talonflame was the only proper thing for Fletching, in this episode.

I'm truly getting sick of XY series.

Edit: Thanks for correcting me p96822. :)
I rewatched the episode and still not satisfied with Fletchling which proved nothing to deserve its evolution. Still there is no explanation for the evolution other than 'Ash's bird has to be a winner' concept. The last fight made me disgusted even more compared to my first try. Assuming there was just 10 level difference(pretty optimistic) between Talonflame and Ash's Fletchling, Steel Wing and Fire Blast, both moves nearly 1 hit KOs. But Fletchling managed to survive after getting hit by both moves.
It would be helpful if you tried separating the two in your head; anime always had a different kind of logic from that of the games. In terms of anime logic, this win made sense. There are no levels, so who knows what level Fletchling was but it is certain that its endurance was strong. Its small size and speed were of a huge benefit and after evolving, the continuous use of Flame Charge greatly increased its speed as Fletchin-der kept moving towards its opponent with great power which is something Talonflame could just not deal with.

You also have to take into account that Talonflame was possibly already weakened from its fight with Hawlucha (it used Brave Bird in that battle so that surely cost some health) and Fletchling already dealt some damage before defeating Talonflame as a Fletchinder. So this battle made complete sense. You just have to overlook the game logics. Anime =/= games.
First; the only reason they keep producing the anime to advertise the games. It's just disgusting and it's what keeping anime from some serious progress and from being unrepetitive. So if someone brings up games dynamics about anime, you can not exactly blame him.

Anime =/= games. You do not have to tell me that. But you're missing my point due to some technicalities. I just used game dynamics to expalin myself.
Among Ash's Pokemon, his Bayleef is the most similar to Fletchling. Not show that much potential at the first stage until some point. That point was the battle against Misty's Staryu in The Totodile Duel episode. Where she had the type-advantage, also both Pokemon were basic stages.
Fletchling vs. Talonflame should have been like Chikorita vs. Charizard.(I know the type-advantages situation) I don't care about minor damages like Brave Bird recoil or Fletchling's hits (those hits shouldn't have been that huge, complete disgrace). Using Talonflame (which is the final-stage of the exact same line) to make believable Fletchling's evolution is completely going off-limits for me. Imagine Serena's Fennekin battling and winning against a Delphox, or Clemont's Chespin against a Chesnaught and you'll probably understande me.

PS: I won't be responding to this exact matter because we're going off-topic and I don't want to be warned again coz of a review thread. Feel free to pm me if you want to continue.

I am certainly disgusted. Awful episode.

So many cliches.
- A weaker foe gains the stronger's respect due to TR.
- An evolution that wasn't deserved.
- Sudden winner traits which are based on absolute NOTHING. Fletchling wasn't nohwere near of being a winner. It wasn't even capable of chasing TR properly for god's sake!
- Ash's opponent uses great tactics in the 1st fight and awful tactics in the following one. I mean who would attack an opponent in a sky-battle (while there are up and down) from such close range while thinking he gained the upper hand.
- When Fletchling lands a hit, Talonflame (which weighs nearly 15 Fletchling) seriously suffers. But Fletchling hangs on in a fire blast?! Yeah. Sure. Right. Get out.

That humiliating attitude of Talonflame was the only proper thing for Fletching, in this episode.

I'm truly getting sick of XY series.

Edit: Thanks for correcting me p96822. :)
I rewatched the episode and still not satisfied with Fletchling which proved nothing to deserve its evolution. Still there is no explanation for the evolution other than 'Ash's bird has to be a winner' concept. The last fight made me disgusted even more compared to my first try. Assuming there was just 10 level difference(pretty optimistic) between Talonflame and Ash's Fletchling, Steel Wing and Fire Blast, both moves nearly 1 hit KOs. But Fletchling managed to survive after getting hit by both moves.
It would be helpful if you tried separating the two in your head; anime always had a different kind of logic from that of the games. In terms of anime logic, this win made sense. There are no levels, so who knows what level Fletchling was but it is certain that its endurance was strong. Its small size and speed were of a huge benefit and after evolving, the continuous use of Flame Charge greatly increased its speed as Fletchin-der kept moving towards its opponent with great power which is something Talonflame could just not deal with.

You also have to take into account that Talonflame was possibly already weakened from its fight with Hawlucha (it used Brave Bird in that battle so that surely cost some health) and Fletchling already dealt some damage before defeating Talonflame as a Fletchinder. So this battle made complete sense. You just have to overlook the game logics. Anime =/= games.
First; the only reason they keep producing the anime to advertise the games. It's just disgusting and it's what keeping anime from some serious progress and from being unrepetitive. So if someone brings up games dynamics about anime, you can not exactly blame him.

Anime =/= games. You do not have to tell me that. But you're missing my point due to some technicalities. I just used game dynamics to expalin myself.
Among Ash's Pokemon, his Bayleef is the most similar to Fletchling. Not show that much potential at the first stage until some point. That point was the battle against Misty's Staryu in The Totodile Duel episode. Where she had the type-advantage, also both Pokemon were basic stages.
Fletchling vs. Talonflame should have been like Chikorita vs. Charizard.(I know the type-advantages situation) I don't care about minor damages like Brave Bird recoil or Fletchling's hits (those hits shouldn't have been that huge, complete disgrace). Using Talonflame (which is the final-stage of the exact same line) to make believable Fletchling's evolution is completely going off-limits for me. Imagine Serena's Fennekin battling and winning against a Delphox, or Clemont's Chespin against a Chesnaught and you'll probably understande me.

PS: I won't be responding to this exact matter because we're going off-topic and I don't want to be warned again coz of a review thread. Feel free to pm me if you want to continue.

If the anime was as technical as you would like, 84% of the on screen victories wouldn't have happened. Thus making for a boring, unimpressive, obvious and depressing show. The anime and games are two separate universes, where different rules apply. A byproduct of their correlation is seeing game features and characters animated yes, but it is never obligated to fulfill the game mechanics as well.

As Tsutarja said, Fletchling/Fletchinder's win over Talonflame is believable (especially if we consider the various recoil damage and no healing in between each of its three fights). Besides, the anime's main purpose is to rake in money from its audiences, the young intended ones mainly. Thus I respect your opinion, but I have to say I do not think you should be that critical over the episode. Otherwise, just prepare yourself for inevitable, future disappointment down the road. Also said audience would much prefer if Fletchling/Fletchinder evolved and won rather than Ash having both his birds taken out with the same stone.

XY036 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

First black, then blue, and now Red.
XQAsM60.jpg

Blue? Red? KANTO CONFIRMED (jk) didn't watch the episode how was it?

I really liked this episode. Seeing Talonflame in the anime for the first time was great, I was glad to see it get one win against Hawlucha before losing to Fletchinder, which is also my favorite of the evolution line. I didn't mind Fletchinder winning in the end, as I liked the battle itself a lot.

It was nice seeing Serena and Clemont learning about flying in the Sky Battle suits, even though they weren't going to battle.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom