• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY037: Reflection Cave! Mirror World Satoshi and Satoshi!?

All I can say is Mirror world Pikachu made this episode for me. Those devious grins and laughs just reminded me of Pikachu from Day 1 Episode 1.

Oh, and Clemont stomping on Meowth's face was hilarious.

Amour shipping moments are everywhere.

8/10 because it was more of a teasing episode of what we don't have in the group, however I still enjoyed it.

I Honestly did NOT Know what to Expect when I saw this Episode, but......... this Episode, IS FREAKING AWESOME! This was such an Entertaining Episode I LOVED it, the Reflection Versions of EVERYONE was Great I thought ESPECIALLY Reflection Pikachu and Serena.

I AM NOT THE Biggest Fan of Serena, but Reflection Serena to me, is WAY BETTER than her Real Incarnation, this Version to Me ACTUALLY Battled not just sit around and DO NOTHING, that Impressed Me with this New Attitude with Reflection Serena she was VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Reflection Pikachu was Good too, his Sniggering and Laughing was Pretty Funny when Battling the Real Team Rocket. Reflection Bonnie didn't do much I thought but NOT AWFUL, and Reflection Clemont, HILARIOUS, HE CAN RUN!

VERY Funny and Entertaining Episode, plus 2 Hawlucha Together Spells EPIC AWESOMENESS, the Reflection Hawlucha being a Coward LOL.

Overall this Episode gets a 9 from me, Team Rocket was Funny I thought, and their Reactions to Reflection Team Rocket WAS JUST.................. OH MY GOD VERY PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Nice my 1,000 Post

I also never thought that Serena's lovey dovey really cracks me up! If I need to rate it on performance scale it would be 8/10

You can tell a lot of love and care went into this episode. I thought the way the mirror world people used a more subdued, faded color palette in contrast to the sharp and dynamic colors this show usually employs was a fantastic touch. Serena being super impolite, Eureka being way more polite to her older brother than she usually is (oniisama~!), Citron being both good at running *and* having magic be his schtick, the Rocket-Dan being heroes of justice...they really seemed to have a lot of fun figuring out what the "opposites" of these characters would be and playing around with them.

The big thing for me in this episode, however, was the voice acting. Matsumoto Rika is always amazing, of course, but the way she was able to switch from regular Satoshi to the timid crybaby here was just fantastic. She wasn't just playing "regular Satoshi, only timid," she was playing the character as if this is how he always is. Makiguchi Mayuki also did a great job of making Mirror Serena seem annoyed all the time.

Oh, and the "let's make a hastily edited AMV using clips from the Diancie movie and use that as the show's opening!" thing was weird and awkward and I didn't care for it.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this episode for the most part.

I like how the Mirror World looked a bit duller than the real world along with all the other characters. I liked Mirror Ash, but at the same time I didn't like him. He was cute and the perfect opposite to Ash, but at the same time, I don't really like weak, crybaby characters. I'm glad he became a bit braver at the end. Mirror Serena I didn't like too much for being really rude, especially mocking Mirror Ash after their battle to the point that he ran away crying. I did like seeing the more battle ready Mirror Fennekin though.

Mirror Bonnie was cute like regular Bonnie. I liked how she was very respectful to Mirror Clemont and supportive of his ideas. And just like the regular group, Mirror Clemont was my favorite of the bunch. His quick running skills and magic theme as opposed to science was really amusing. I loved the scene where he stomped on Meowth's head when he save the Pikachu. Mirror Pikachu was pretty cool too and I liked how he was smirking as he fought TR.

Speaking of the TR battle, I liked seeing the Hawlucha's different personality. But again, I don't care much for timid characters and Mirror Ash's Hawlucha was pretty annoying. Though I did think it was funny when Hawlucha nearly turned on its counterpart. It was also nice seeing Mirror Serena and Fennekin help out during the battle.

As for the rest of the episode, I liked the scene where the real gang pulled Ash back into the real world. Overall, I did like this episode, but I wished we could have seen more out of the Mirror gang. I'll have to wait for the dub to see how much more or less I'll enjoy the Mirror characters, but for now 8.5/10.

Oh, and the "let's make a hastily edited AMV using clips from the Diancie movie and use that as the show's opening!" thing was weird and awkward and I didn't care for it.

It seems like they've taken a leaf out of Kamen Rider/Super Sentai's book by doing that... their OP/ED are always replaced with movie clips when the release date rolls around.

Personally, I thought it was a nice change of pace.

In my mind from now on, BW was just us watching that other Ash for a region. It explains everything.

Great episode - a unique concept and very well handled. I really disliked (in a good way) seeing how pitiful mirror-Ash's Hawlucha was, it's Pokemon taking on their trainer's characteristics in about the worst possible result, it's particularly obvious considering how proud and strong Ash's one is. It'd have been nice if that got even a minute more of development, with the two battling together.

Mirror-Pikachu is interesting, strong without the direction of a strong trainer would be how I'd put it - seemed more like a rat than Ash's Pikachu does. Obviously the parallel between the two Ash required them to be identical - but I'd have pegged mirror-Ash as having taken the cheap way out and got a Thunder Stone by now and made him a Raichu. Mirror world Team Rocket would be doing mirror-Pikachu a favour.

I'd have thought they'd be careful showing a mirror world Serena who can actually battle and be confident, I wonder if their backstories are swapped? Ash following Serena around trying to get her to notice him?

Mirror-Clemont liking magic rather than science is a stroke of brilliance. Wishlist for the dub - have the mirror world Clemont pronounce his name cle-mont, instead of cle-ment.

Obviously Ash has to be totally non-fussed about time travel and alternate dimensions to be totally fine about the whole thing a few moments after it happens.

Last edited:
Amusing ep, I wish we'd see more of the other world's Ash and Pika interacting together since they seem to have clashing personalities, and I'd love to see more of the heroes!TRio too...
This also confirms the idea of parallel worlds with clones of everyone existing in the pkmn universe, something the games (mostly BW) have hinted at before

This episode should have had the misleading title of "Serena Finally Battles!?Fokko vs Keromatsu!"

This was a really neat episode, and was more impressive than I thought it was going to be. I think Mirror Eureka and Dedenne could have been a bit more anti-characteristic, but the other Mirror Versions were great. Serena and Citron should actually take after a few things of their more active counterparts, as I thoroughly enjoyed and supported Mirror Citron's brusque Pikachu retrieval (suck on that Nyarth!) and Serena's battle (could have been a bit longer). Also how can we forget Rocket Dan, heroes of Kalos? Overall a nice, slightly abnormal episode.

P.S. I love how Luchabull has been getting constant screen time since its capture.

This episode had me in laughs! Especially Ash being a big baby and his antics, Clemont's face stomp, and the M Serena vs Ash battle that had Ash wiping the floor with her.

Pretty eccentric roles for the Mirror characters, especially with Clemont and his magic staff, thinking his line will be (maybe say this in dub) "The power is now thanks to magic!"

Overall 9/10 !

Such a wonderful episode. The little details were neat. It did take me a bit too long to notice that not only did the mirror counterparts have lighter colours, but everything about their appearances were actually mirrored, like Bonnie's ponytail being on the other side. Observant I ain't.

Mirror Ash is so freaking adorable! Poor thing, I just wanna give him a hug and tell him everything's gonna be okay. I do tend to like timid/shy characters.

The mirror characters' speaking patterns really helped sell the differences, like Mirror Serena's Kansai accent.

Something about Mirror Pikachu being mischievous makes me happy for some reason. It's the big grin, I think.

The whole Mirror Clemont being into magic thing is simply genius.

Dang, after the end bit, now I want to see more of the Mirror Rockets.

Heck, now I'm curious about what other character's mirror counterparts would be like. Great imagination fodder!

WatcherMark said:
Personally, I thought it was a nice change of pace.

We only *just* switched over to the new animation two months ago. We don't need any "change of pace," especially when the new one is edited as poorly as this one was.

Not enough crying IMO.
True, Chatsy. True, true, true. :3

Anyway, this episode wasn't half bad at all. I actually liked it as a comedy episode, I'm disappointed Clemont, Serena and Bonnie didn't get to do much but I did like the "Through the Looking-Glass" concept a lot. I felt like an episode like this could have easily been expanded into a small three episode arc. of character development. Serena got to battle, even if it was her Mirror World doppelganger and that was great. Though I wish the battle had gone on longer than it did, ended rather quickly. I really liked Mirror Ash a lot, he was very adorable and his small little growth was great to watch. Also really appreciated Hawlucha protecting its Mirror counterpart. Mirror Serena was great, what with her trying to toughen up Mirror Ash by teasing him and battling(and destroying) him regularly. I liked the episode a lot, but it really could have benefited from having a fixer-upper in some areas.

It irked me that TR appeared in the other world with zero explanation, the climax and defeat of them felt too quick, I felt like this episode really could have used more time for certain moments to be furthered. I felt like at the thick of it Clemont, Serena and Bonnie were just treated as a tad too irrelevant and having them visit the Mirror World would have been preferable too. As a comedy episode, I thought overall it was decent but I felt like it could have been a great episode with a bit more time and care. Mirror Pikachu was great, Rica Matsumoto's voice acting of Ash alongside the Snowbelle city music and the running around and constant screams of "Pikachu!" will melt your heart .

Last edited:
omfg

this episode was gr8

mirror world versions of the cast played out exactly like a poorly written AU fanfic

i can't decide which one i liked more, intensely formal eureka, olympic athlete wizard citron, moe shotacon wimp satoshi, or overly aggressive kansai-ben serena (where did you even come that you have an osaka accent jesus is mirror-world kalos japanese or something)

like you can just tell the VA's were having fun with this one but i think the winner was wizard citron i mean the freaking magic ritual c o m e o n

also there was not enough ~heroes of justice~ team rocket i'll take another 3 episodes of that pls

I wonder how Mirror World Misty, Brock, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Iris and Cilan are like.....Given how spunky many of his female companions were, Serena may well have been the most aggressive female companion Poor Mirror Ash has yet to travel with.

Also, Mirror Serena appears to be a Tsundere leaning heavily on the Tsun side with very little dere. And Mirror Ash fits the useless wimpy Male Harem Main Character archtype well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom