• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY041: PokéEnteering! The X in the Mist!

The anime is inconsistent with itself.

At the end of XY040, these are the standings:
- 1st place: Team Chikorita (14 points)
- 2nd place: Team Froakie (13 points)
- 3rd place: Team Squirtle (10 points)
- 4th place: Team Charmander (6 points)
- 5th place: All of the other teams

And during this episode, prior to the PokeEnteering event, these are the standings:
- 1st place: Team Froakie and Team Squirtle, tied (13 points)
- 2nd place: Team Fennekin
- 3rd place: Team Bulbasaur

The event of Teams Chikorita and Charmander dropping out of the Summer Camp is unlikely. So this is an error.

So did Hawlucha stop existing for an episode or something? I was hoping Ash would realise mid air that he has a flying type perfectly capable of gliding him to safety - but apparently jumping with no care for the safety of others is better than using all his Pokemon in the same episode...

Other than that - this episode makes me really appreciate how XY strikes a good balance of showing Pokemon across all the regions, not even having a Kanto bias for nostalgia - just having a good variety of Pokemon, both wild and owned by the background trainers - even if Beedrill and Amoonguss end up reprising their typecasting.

There's also some great moments between the trainers and their Pokemon - Froakie continues to be awesome and Tierno and Squirtle are an absolutely perfect match - with Tierno flipping up a cliff something totally unexpected. Serena's nervousness crossing that bridge is absolutely and entirely justified by the events of every other anime episode involving a wooden bridge, the most sensible thing that happened in this episode.

That cave puzzle certainly reminded me of the one on Victory Road in the BW games, though find it odd that Ash is back recklessly climbing mountains immediately after recovering from his injury last episode. It would have been good if he had a slight bit of pain when he landed that jump off the Drifblim right on there. Indeed I'd rather Clemont just do it himself - drop the backpack and then use the fact it's his sister to give him strength. It doesn't have to be Ash jumping into voids.

Xerneas achieved being mysterious and not much else.

This was a nice episode. I'm glad Bonnie got to have some focus in the midst of this arc.

Well to be honest, I've never really cared much for PokeEnteering. I mean it can be interesting depending on what the trainers have to go through. But overall I find it kind of boring, so part of me is actually glad it got interrupted for the Xerneas plot. But with that said, I did enjoy what we did see. Ash and Tierno climbing with their Pokemon was cool. Tierno and Squirtle's dance moves and climbing teamwork was especially awesome. Serena freaking out over the bridge while Shauna handled it easily was pretty funny. And overall, I'm really glad that Clemont chose Bunnelby as his partner over Chespin.

I liked how Pikachu heard Bonnie and actually went back to look for her. Though, I do wonder why he didn't alert Ash or anyone about hearing Bonnie and just took off on his own. As expected, Tierno's group joins Ash's gang to help find Bonnie and Pikachu. And finally Trevor and Charmander take the spotlight in leading the group through the fog. Oh, and I'm also glad Ash called out Fletchinder to help look for Bonnie.

Damn, Bonnie is lucky that she fell on that Drifblim, cuz if she had been just a little off she'd have fallen into that canyon and died. Also, how the hell does she fall a few feet off that Drifblim, land on her head, and still not wake up? Ok, I know I said I was glad Bunnelby was Clemont's partner, and I am, but I wish he would have done more to help with the actual plot instead of just following the group for the most part. Was Chespin really needed for that Water Pulse thing? Couldn't Bunnelby have used Mud Shot to burst it open or something? The only thing that doesn't make me as upset about this is that it was Ash's suggestion rather than Clemont's own choice.

And once again, Trevor comes to the rescue, this time with his camera. I found it totally hilarious how everyone was just fine with using the Drifblim as stepping stones to get to Bonnie. Ugh, ok seriously? Why the hell couldn't Bunnelby help wake the Drifblim? Everyone else got to attack. None of his moves even had a risk of hurting them. Sigh, anyway, Bonnie is saved and everyone gets to see Xerneas. Nice...I guess.

Ok, overall this episode was pretty entertaining. I liked Bonnie having a small bit of focus and revealing Xerneas' presence to the group. However, I would have preferred that the episode focused more Bonnie actually looking for Xerneas. After it ran away, it pretty just turned into them getting into trouble with random wild Pokemon. They really could have just kept the PokeEnteering competition as the main focus. And as I already said, I wish Bunnelby would have done more with the plot. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how much Trevor ended up contributing, so that's nice. 6.5/10 for this one.

It would have been good if he had a slight bit of pain when he landed that jump off the Drifblim right on there.

Well, Ash injured his right foot last episode and in this episode when he jumped off the Drifblim he landed on his left foot. So it wouldn't have made sense to have him wince in pain there :p If the writers want to, though, they could easily follow up on his injury later when it turns out he went too far pretending he's A-OK since hell naw is he supposed to recover to quickly. But with Serena feeling so guilty it makes sense he'd act like it's no big thing and eventually make matters worse for himself.

But what am I saying? This is Pokémon! As if we'd get any jabs at Ash's tendency to be *too* brave and *too* action-proned.

I'm surprised Bonnie didn't break her neck when she fell off the Driflbim, though. Landing on your neck even from falling off your chair can be fatal o_o

Yeah, they could have had Fletchinder fly and grab the falling Bonnie, and lower her gently.

Uh, if Mud Shot combined with Water Pulse, wouldn't the result be mud splatter all over the place?

Wasn't Serena confident in the air from that skybattle episode? Kind of strange for her to be this frightened from crossing a wooden bridge.

And during this episode, prior to the PokeEnteering event, these are the standings:

The event of Teams Chikorita and Charmander dropping out of the Summer Camp is unlikely. So this is an error.

Is it mentioned or hinted that the events from this episode happen the day right after the PokéVision contest? It's a full week at the camp, there definetly are events that happen off-screen, and there's no true reason for not making two or more events one single day as well, so it's still possible for the standings to be different.

Is it mentioned or hinted that the events from this episode happen the day right after the PokéVision contest? It's a full week at the camp, there definetly are events that happen off-screen, and there's no true reason for not making two or more events one single day as well, so it's still possible for the standings to be different.

The time between the PokeVision and PokeEntering events doesn't matter.

Team Froakie and Team Squirtle are said to be in first place with 13 points each. Team Chikorita should have been in first with 14 points. And with there still being 10 teams in this episode, Team Chikorita is still at the camp.

This is an error.

This Episode was Ok. I was a bit Disappointed but I can still Watch it. Bonnie was alright but I was sad there was NO Character Development from here here :(

Seeing Xerneus was REALLY Cool I thought :) but when Bonnie and Pikachu went to go look for it, this turned out to be them Attacking and upsetting several Wild Pokemon which I did NOT Find all that too Fun. First we have the DOME Beedrill Cliché AGAIN! Then we have Amoongus who is starting to become the New Pokemon getting upset, not too fond of it. But extra Points for the Drifloon, they were VERY CUTE :) When Ash and the Others get to the Spot where Bonnie is Sleeping on the Other side of the Cliff, attack the Childnapper Pokemon and then Ash Jumps on the Drifblim and I'm like WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Looked like a lot of Fun :)

I Wish Bunnelby had done more a little bit IMO.

Overall, all right Episode but U WON'T Remember it in T- 3 Weeks. So 6.9/10 from Me, Disappointed :(

I liked how Fletchinder was much more assertive in doing it's scouting role to find Bonnie than it was when it search and find missions as a Fletchling. When Ash and co. were getting off task Fletchinder had to remind/show them where Bonnie was by flying around aggressively and calling but it's name. It didn't really do that as a Fletchling so the extra confidence and air of authority around it that evolution brought it is visible to see. Also it was a nice touch that Fletchinder worked up a sweat scouting for Bonnie because it cares for Bonnie so much after the two bonded in the Sky Battle. What a guy.

I thought it was a dick move on Ash's part to insist on rescuing Bonnie himself. It's disappointing to see a lapse into the "only Ash is allowed to do action stuff" mindset; XY has been doing better than average in that regard. Hopefully it's not the start of a trend. That whole scene could have been written a lot better, really (Hawlucha etc.).

Other than that, I liked this episode. I'm REALLY enjoying the rival trio and I hope they show up frequently after this arc. Lots of Pokemon onscreen too, although I would have liked to see Hawlucha.

There's also some great moments between the trainers and their Pokemon - Froakie continues to be awesome and Tierno and Squirtle are an absolutely perfect match - with Tierno flipping up a cliff something totally unexpected. Serena's nervousness crossing that bridge is absolutely and entirely justified by the events of every other anime episode involving a wooden bridge, the most sensible thing that happened in this episode.

Serena's watched enough cartoons to know foot bridges are bad news. I loved how the bridge was reinforced with metal cables. Whoever built the camp must be aware of the cliche.

I'm surprised Bonnie didn't break her neck when she fell off the Driflbim, though. Landing on your neck even from falling off your chair can be fatal o_o

Considering TR's blastoffs I don't think death from falling is much of a real danger in the Pokeworld.

Did you take into account the fishing competition that took place off-screen and how it might affect the points?

Did you take into account the fishing competition that took place off-screen and how it might affect the points?

I've already accounted for the fishing competition from XY040; that was the first event in which points were given out.

After watching this translated I'm wondering if the Diancie movie is supposed to take place after the summer camp. No one recognized Xerneas, and Ash said he hopes they see it again.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom