• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY043: Master Tower! The History of Mega Evolution!!

Awful episode IMO.

As if it wasn't enough that we got four entire episodes dedicated to showing off Korrina and Lucario and how amazing the two are, we got yet another episode which is basically Korrina and Lucario showing how amazing they are. And let's not forget the eternally unimpressive XY Team Rocket trio who again fail to be plot relevant.

The best part of the episode was definitely the dancing. Also, shame that we couldn't see Ash dancing with Serena on-screen though I still like that it happened, off-screen or not.

All Right, after a 2 Week break we are back! Well just from hearing people, they haven't liked this Episode.'well after looking at the Pictures, I Liked this Episode quite a bit. It was Good IMO.

So we start off in the Pokemon Center and we see CREPPY Wigglytuff LOL. But Ash is getting ready for Gym Battle. We see Korrina and Lucario and we get Good Interactions. And we get probably the Funniest Moment in the Episode. Ash, Pikachu, Froakie, Fletchinder, and Hawlucha Dancing. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!! Really Funny but Korrina and Lucario have REALLY PRICELESS Faces when they see Ash Dance. Nice to see Chespin came out and Danced too. :)

Gurkinn............. Still Don't Like him AT ALL!! I still haven't forgiven him for the Comments he made to Korrina back in The Aura Storm but I won't rant on it. I just found him Rude when Ash and Korrina got to The Tower Of Mastery. Is it just me, or did when Gurkinn was Explaining Mega Lucario segment, didn't the Lucario's Trainer Resemble N a little bit LOL.

I found Team Rocket fine here, weren't Good, weren't Bad, I think they were fine but I think they showed up a little too late tho :(

I had a Feeling that Gurkinn would be the Referee for the Gym. And I LOVED that Froakie was out watching the Gym Battle :)

Overall, I Liked this Episode, nothing Special, but didn't Fine it BORING as other People said before about this Episode. 6.6/10

Awful episode IMO.

As if it wasn't enough that we got four entire episodes dedicated to showing off Korrina and Lucario and how amazing the two are, we got yet another episode which is basically Korrina and Lucario showing how amazing they are. And let's not forget the eternally unimpressive XY Team Rocket trio who again fail to be plot relevant.

The best part of the episode was definitely the dancing. Also, shame that we couldn't see Ash dancing with Serena on-screen though I still like that it happened, off-screen or not.

It seems that you're biased against Korrina/Lucario, no? do you hate them? of course you're not going to enjoy the episode if you have a bias against the characters haha

It wasn't the greatest episode but it was entertaining/decent, the setup for Ash's gym battle.

Not content to sit on the sidelines too long, Iwane Masa'aki provided key animation for this episode. This makes sense, given Natsume Kunihiko was animation supervisor and both are employees of Studio Cockpit.

Awful episode IMO.

It seems that you're biased against Korrina/Lucario, no? do you hate them? of course you're not going to enjoy the episode if you have a bias against the characters haha

What kind of weird accusation is that?? He's criticizing the episode, and suddenly you just jump to the conclusion that he hates Korrina? What???

I, for one, agree with Tsutarja. This episode felt really unnecessary to me, it was just here to serve as a poor build up to the actual gym battle and to establish what we already knew, that Korrina and Lucario have learned to control Lucario's mega evolution. Oh well, at least the gym battle will be able to start smoothly in the next episode without any needless and time-consuming introductions getting in the way *cough*battleagainstGrant*cough*

Last edited:
I'm not accusing him of anything, just reading his posts on this site and serebii I noticed it seems he doesn't like those characters that much, that's it, nothing of importance.

It wasn't the greatest episode but it was entertaining/decent, the setup for Ash's gym battle.
I don't hate Korrina, I am merely sick of Korrina.

Her arc was nothing special, a complete waste of time and space that did nothing to develop the main characters. Every episode of her arc boiled down to the fact that Korrina and Lucario are awesome together. The main characters had NO impact on her development and she had no impact on their development. I simply didn't care knowing that Korrina probably would never appear again after the gym battle. Why should I care?

I have no issues with Korrina herself, but I take issues with so many damned Korrina and Lucario episodes that serve no purpose whatsoever other than "HEY LOOK COOL MEGA LUCARIO! BUY OUR TOYS AND PLUSHIES!!!" or "MEGA EVOLUTION? YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF MEGA EVOLUTION, HERE HAVE SOME MORE MEGA EVOLUTION THAT IS OF NO RELEVANCE TO THE OVERALL PLOT!"

So yeah, my issue is with her arc and how it was written and not with the character herself.

And honestly, I am so sick of Lucario too. Overexposure much?

Last edited:

I don't hate Korrina, I am merely sick of Korrina.

Her arc was nothing special, a complete waste of time and space that did nothing to develop the main characters. Every episode of her arc boiled down to the fact that Korrina and Lucario are awesome together. The main characters had NO impact on her development and she had no impact on their development. I simply didn't care knowing that Korrina probably would never appear again after the gym battle. Why should I care?

I have no issues with Korrina herself, but I take issues with so many damned Korrina and Lucario episodes that serve no purpose whatsoever other than "HEY LOOK COOL MEGA LUCARIO! BUY OUR TOYS AND PLUSHIES!!!" or "MEGA EVOLUTION? YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH OF MEGA EVOLUTION, HERE HAVE SOME MORE MEGA EVOLUTION THAT IS OF NO RELEVANCE TO THE OVERALL PLOT!"

So yeah, my issue is with her arc and how it was written and not with the character herself.

And honestly, I am so sick of Lucario too. Overexposure much?

Err, not EVERY episode HAS to develop the main characters, you know. I could think of several episodes that do that, this season or past.

Err, not EVERY episode HAS to develop the main characters, you know. I could think of several episodes that do that, this season or past.
So you were okay with four filler episodes where the main characters were practically nonexistent?

Personally, I wasn't. If you want an example of a well-written gym leader arc, take Maylene's short development that wasn't as long as Korrina's and yet was much more effective because it coincided with Dawn's development allowing both characters to grow in the process. Now THAT is how you write a good episode. You don't simply drop four characters to focus on one, especially a character that will most likely never appear again after the gym battle. What's the point in that?

Never forget who your main characters are, especially if you're not planning on giving Korrina a major role later down the line which I find very unlikely.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with a few of the above posters who didn't care much for this episode.

But first let's talk about the positives. Ash and his Pokemon dancing was hilarious. I especially got a kick out of Pikachu, Hawlucha, and Froakie. Fletchinder was amazing with his "air dancing". And of course Ash was amusing as hell to watch. Even Chespin was pretty cute. If only he could be more like this rather than annoying most of the time.

I dunno why, but I feel like we haven't seen a Clemont invention in a while, so I was actually glad to see this one today. But seriously, why the hell does Clemont think using his machines on max power is a good thing? Especially considering his record. But anyway, that was funny too. Also, did Serena help Ash with his dancing or something? Why couldn't they have shown that on-screen? Sucks, that would have been nice to see. Anyway, I also like how the Tower of Mastery is mainly an island that can only be accessed during certain times during the day.

And now this is where the episode gets lame. The TR plot was pretty boring and I really didn't see the need to Mega Evolve Lucario just to beat them. Especially since he won with, like, one attack.

I will end off saying that I like how Froakie is watching the gym battle, continuing the recent trend of all of Ash's Pokemon helping out with the gyms battles in some way. Like, when Froakie helped train Pikachu and Fletchling with his Frubbles and how they all faced Grant. I hope this continues with more future gym battles. I'll give this episode an 5/10. I hope the battle turns out to be good.

I quite like this episode since I get to see Lucario (absolutely love Lucario), though the mega evolution was kind of pointless...

So you were okay with four filler episodes where the main characters were practically nonexistent?

Personally, I wasn't. If you want an example of a well-written gym leader arc, take Maylene's short development that wasn't as long as Korrina's and yet was much more effective because it coincided with Dawn's development allowing both characters to grow in the process. Now THAT is how you write a good episode. You don't simply drop four characters to focus on one, especially a character that will most likely never appear again after the gym battle. What's the point in that?

Never forget who your main characters are, especially if you're not planning on giving Korrina a major role later down the line which I find very unlikely.

Err, no, I very clearly did not say that, you're just putting words in my mouth. All I said was that not all episodes have to focus on JUST the main characters, and this isn't the first time it's happened in the anime. That is all.

Also, they did not "drop" the main characters, at least not how I saw it anyway.

It was an alright episode. I liked how Ash and his Pokemon try to show off their dance moves in front of Korrina. Fletchinder, especially, looked really cool. I found Ash's dancing very amusing and I actually laughed with Eureka as she cracked up. Citron's machine was funny, too, though at this point, he should already know that putting his inventions to maximum overdrive is a recipe for disaster. It was really interesting when Serena helped Ash learn to dance, but we never saw it on-screen, which was a pity.

What I didn't like about this episode was TR. Their presence in this episode, once again, felt very unnecessary. I was kinda neutral towards Korrina and (Mega) Lucario taking care of business. I understand why some people are okay with it while others are not. Overall, I'll give this episode a 6/10.

Err, no, I very clearly did not say that, you're just putting words in my mouth. All I said was that not all episodes have to focus on JUST the main characters, and this isn't the first time it's happened in the anime. That is all.

Also, they did not "drop" the main characters, at least not how I saw it anyway.

General reminder that this is an episode review thread, therefore, not a place to debate Korrina and Lucario as characters themselves. Debating whether an episode arc from weeks ago is filler or not in a current episode thread is also off-topic. Please stick to reviewing the episode/general thoughts about the episodes.

Didn't like the episode.
What I want to say about this episode most, is TRio blast-off was probably one of the weakest blast-off scenes. Truly awful.
Other things are mostly about the episode being so average.

Interesting how the Tower of Mastery functions as the gym in the anime.

My favorite part in the episode was when Wobbuffet couldn't keep its voice down when TRio pulled off its heist.

The scenes were OK but the Rockets don't really needed for the show but on the bright side is that Gurkinn's weakness of being unable to go up using stairs is revealed lol.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom