• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY044: Shara Gym Match! Pikachu VS Mega Lucario!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you read the summary above you? he's using Hawlucha and Fletchinder as well...

I didn't say that Ash is going to use Pikachu to battle all of the Korinna's pokemon. What I meant is why over all pokemon that Ash own, Pikachu is the best selection to battle Lucario.

Anyway this is may the third case in Kalos that Pikachu is going to beat the strongest gym leader's main pokemon after what happened to Viola's Vivillon and Grant's Tyrunt.

Sorry for being sarcastic but this is only for my opinion :)

Satoshi is using his other Pokémon in the gym battle. 'The writers' are not the final creative authority on the series, they are freelancers hired by Head Writer Tomioka Atsuhiro to script plots pre-conceived by Tomioka and Series Director Yajima Tetsuo and Chief Series Director Yuyama Kunihiko. The episode director, in this case Tomiyasu Hirotaka, will also have influence to some degree. Only one person is credited as writing Episode #44, Tomioka Atsuhiro, the same man who gave us Satoshi's battles with Shinji.

If you want to be critical you have to know what you are talking about first.

Fine I've get what you mean.

Preview
- Pikachu battles Mega Lucario.
- Hawlucha battles Mienfoo.
- I think Fletchinder battles Machoke.
- Aura Sphere clashes with Electro Ball.

[video=youtube;SANkoEg1aZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SANkoEg1aZM&list=UUrDj5t8Q9ZFSGft7a3PWl9g[/video]

Those battles look awesome - two of my favorite Pokemon battling each other (Mienfoo & Hawlucha) - hoping that it won't be a 5 second match.

Mienfoo <3

If I was to take a guess, I'd say that Hawlucha and Fletchinder both win their battles against Mienfoo and Machoke, leaving all three of Ash's Pokémon to battle against Mega Lucario. That's at least the only way I could ever see Ash defeating Mega Lucario without it being bs.

What move could Machoke have that resembles an electric move launched a target. The only move it can learn that I'm aware of is Thunder Punch but you can't launch it at the opponent. I suppose it could be hidden power, and they are finally addressing the different types of hidden power, but it is weird.

I know why they didn't give Korinna her only 6th generation Pokemon. But why didn't they give her at least Pangoro to make up for her not having a Hawlucha?

I mean Machoke? This battle seems identical against Maylene, only Meditite was switched for Mienfoo, and there's a mega evolution. And Mienfoo isn't really that different than Meditite, except with an absence of psychic typing and psychic moves. Mienfoo is still similar to Meditite, because they are roughly the same size and they each evolve once into their final evolutions.

Machoke though? Really? Pangoro at least would've given Korinna a 6th generation Pokemon.

well, at least it's a 3 v 3. Wish Froakie was battling.

At least Froakie is watching, at least if the end of today's episode is an indicator.

Mienfoo <3

If I was to take a guess, I'd say that Hawlucha and Fletchinder both win their battles against Mienfoo and Machoke, leaving all three of Ash's Pokémon to battle against Mega Lucario. That's at least the only way I could ever see Ash defeating Mega Lucario without it being bs.

I disagree because Korinna's Lucario is not that strong, it's probably at best in par with Maylene's Lucario maybe only stronger. But I will agree if it was just Pikachu vs Mega Lucario, because Pikachu couldn't even beat normal Lucario. But I still think Hawlucha and Fletchinder would've worked since they are different than Pikachu and never battled Lucario.

This episode looks awesome, can't wait for this battle <3 I hope from now on the gaps between gyms will be shorter. XD maybe 13 or 14 episodes.

Thankfully we've gotten all the pre-battle introductions out of the way. This is going to be a long drawn out slugfest, and the guy who did the Paul battles is involved in this battle, so I'm hyped.

This is definitely going to be an interesting episode. Part of me wonders whether Ash is going to win against something that's completely beyond him, yet if he does, I'd feel greatly compelled to call bs on it. I mean, come on, we've already seen these beasts, not just Lucario, completely wreck whatever was not equal to them, Team Rocket being the primary victims (On a side note, if the group does end up getting Mega Evolutions, I don't think they'll have much need to worry about them anymore, unless the writers decide to do something crazy and give Jessie and James Megas as well, which I just can't see happening). Unless Ash somehow gets lucky, this may just break his winning streak. But at the same time, this could also make room for some much needed development and maybe even motivate him to get into Mega Evolution. We'll just have to wait and see!

Last edited:
My guess:

Hawlucha VS Mienfoo - Hawlucha wins
Hawlucha VS Machoke - Machoke wins
Fletchinder VS Machoke - Machoke wins
Pikachu VS Machoke - Pikachu wins
Pikachu VS (Mega) Lucario - Pikachu wins

I mean Machoke? This battle seems identical against Maylene, only Meditite was switched for Mienfoo, and there's a mega evolution.

It was Game Freak's decision to have game Korrina use Machoke when there were plenty of Fighting-types at that point in XY.

The writers are adapting the battle to make it appear like the game version, which was done for almost every gym battle since DP began (except Roxie and Marlon).

This might have too much emphasis on Pikachu for my liking, but I'd be lying if I said I weren't excited about it. The animation looks killer, and with Tomioka writing it should be a good battle.

enHHw4.jpg

Possibly a match winning dodge for Pikachu? Seems like the predicted Electro Ball vs. Aura Sphere collision won't happen.

That preview definetely suggests Lucario misses and Pikachu hits.

Honestly, this battle actually looks pretty excited. Sure it sucks that Pikachu will be the star yet again, but he's really the only one on Ash's current team for the job (Unless Fletchinder just spams Double team and Flame charge, which is what I would do, but it wouldn't make for a very exciting finale to the match, and Fletchinder is probably not strong or experienced enough to take on a mega, despite good strategy).

I just hope Fletchinder and Hawlucha's battles are decent and don't last less than a couple minutes each. Since the battle will most likely be the majority of the ep, they should be sweet.

Let's just hope Pikachu isn't used against Ramos :D

I don't like the Pikachu spam myself but hopefully they're getting it done with for the others to shine later on? *naive*

I see Hawlucha and Fletchinder getting wins, but losing to Lucario whom Pikachu barely beats.

There is an outcome that hasn't been discussed. Lucario and Pikachu tie but Ash had recalled one of his birds so he wins by virtue of having one Pokemon left alive.

There is an outcome that hasn't been discussed. Lucario and Pikachu tie but Ash had recalled one of his birds so he wins by virtue of having one Pokemon left alive.

That would certainly be an interesting outcome, one that would maintain Lucario's fierceness given its years spent with Corni as opposed to the one year Pikachuu has had with Satoshi.

That would certainly be an interesting outcome, one that would maintain Lucario's fierceness given its years spent with Corni as opposed to the one year Pikachuu has had with Satoshi.

I still don't see how any of that matters

What does it matter if Korinna spent years with Lucario, that doesn't mean Lucario is some ungodly Pokemon.

When are people going to realize age and experience only helps you, but it doesn't guarantee. There are many real life examples of younger people outpacing older people all in the same field even when the older guy is an expert in his field.

Korinna having years to spend with Lucario is actually irrelevant to the Pokemon's strength or even the trainer's skill, sure it gives Lucario an advantage but it still doesn't mean much.

Because it would be interesting. It would be a change of pace for the series to acknowledge "hey, Satoshi and Pikachuu still have a ways to go!" Especially outside of the League arcs.

Because it would be interesting. It would be a change of pace for the series to acknowledge "hey, Satoshi and Pikachuu still have a ways to go!" Especially outside of the League arcs.

That would only work if the Pokemon series wasn't a floating timeline show.

Besides Ash loses quite frequently in the show, I don't think we need an extra nail into the "We'll never see Ash be a Pokemon Master because he's really a bad trainer" point. I think Ash has had more overall losses in his entire run than wins.

Yeah he DOES have a long ways to go, we already knew that, we don't need Lucario and Pikachu tying to show that. Especially since Ash has NEVER knocked out a Lucario before. And we don't need every Lucario to be portrayed as Godly like. It was bad enough with Cameron's Lucario. Maylene was okay because it introduced the species in the main TV anime. But we don't need another tie or Lucario coming out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom