• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY047: Serena's First Capture!? Yancham VS Fokko!!

A very good, or even excellent episode, although Fokko defeating Pancham is a bit unrealistic...

Anyways, this time TR didn't actually make me feel they are unnecessarily stealing screen time, good job on that too.

And the new ED.... simply ADORABLE! *faints*

And also... prepare to love Serena everyone, she is getting good (if not late) developments and may well become the best female lead ever.

Last edited:
Nice episode. Pancham is certainly a fun character.

And also... prepare to love Serena everyone, she is getting good (if not late) developments and may well become the best female lead ever.

Sorry, but... no. With a goal as mind-numbingly boring as performing (this episode just reinforces the fact that performing is just like the appeal round of a contest) I'd be surprised if she won't become the worst female lead we've had.

Nice episode. Pancham is certainly a fun character.

Sorry, but... no. With a goal as mind-numbingly boring as performing (this episode just reinforces the fact that performing is just like the appeal round of a contest) I'd be surprised if she won't become the worst female lead we've had.

Well, opinion may vary, I love the appeal round in Pokemon Contest more than the battle round. So... my point still stands.

And worst female lead? Worse than Iris? Its going to take a miracle for that to happen.

Last edited:
Hooray! Serena finally starts her journey! Even though they're still going down the "girl's Pokemon activity" route, it's great to see her finally getting some character development.

Adorable moment 1 -
DP343.jpg

moment 2 -
DP366.jpg

I knew Jessie would want to be a Performer as well :-D

Edit - Pancham knows Rock Slide & Dark Pulse, which are both TM moves - it's got a history

Last edited:
Well, opinion may vary, I love the appeal round in Pokemon Contest more than the battle round. So... my point still stands.

And worst female lead? Worse than Iris? Its going to take a miracle for that to happen.

With all due respect, doesn't that last comment sorta contradict your "opinion may vary" statement?

This ep could be much better without the stupid TRio appearance....... I really want to break the screen every time they appear nowdays... instead of that we could have more focus on Serena and Pancham...

NOTE: Let's not discuss Iris here. If you want to, please do so in the appropriate threads. Also, if you want to talk about Serena's role as a female lead, only do so if it relates to the episode or the XY anime as a whole.

Ah, the episode I think most people have been waiting for. Serena's first capture!

I was surprised to see Shauna make a return so soon after the summer camp arc. Though I guess it's only expected since she and Serena have the same goal. I wonder if they'll end up becoming rivals.

Aria's performance was pretty cool. I really liked seeing her do tricks with Braxien's stick. But of course it really doesn't compare to Dandy Furfrou, who's bringin' in the swag as usual. Always nice to see! Too bad Pancham had to ruin its performance. And jeez, what the hell is wrong with that thing? Pushing carts at people? Damn. I will say that its break dancing is cool...but DAMN!

So first Chespin pops out of his ball during the performance, then he mimics Braxien's act. Does he want to perform or something, or is it related to that crush he has on Aria's Braxien. Okay, that Pancham is a real brat. I can get wanting to perform, but stealing people's stuff is so unnecessary. So I guess Clemont can't see without his glasses. Weird, I could have sworn there was an earlier episode where he seemed to be fine without them, but maybe not.

Aw, man please tell me Jessie isn't trying to be a Pokemon Performer. Wasn't failing at being a coordinator enough? I seriously hope she doesn't start entering TriPokalons. I'd like to see a female with a performing goal where TR doesn't interfere. The battle against TR was nice. With this being a Serena episode, I was surprised to see everyone help out. I really liked how Dedenne went to help try to free Fennekin and of course when Serena head slammed into Pumpkaboo.

Fennekin vs. Pancham was good. It's great to see how much Fennekin has improved with battling. And Pancham joins Squirtle and Krookodile in the sunglasses club.

Overall the episode was okay. I'm not sure how I feel about Pancham yet. She/He just seems like a really annoying brat right now. If it becomes nicer and less bratty as it travels with Serena, I might like it a bit more. Overall rating is 8/10.

Aw, man please tell me Jessie isn't trying to be a Pokemon Performer. Wasn't failing at being a coordinator enough? I seriously hope she doesn't start entering TriPokalons.

I thought Jessie was actually a pretty decent coordinator - in Sinnoh that is, where she wasn't actually cheating and doing honest appeals. I for one honestly wouldn't mind her entering TriPokalons at all, provided she doesn't cheat. I think it would make her character pretty interesting.

Anyways, Yancham is a very welcome addition to the team. I thought it was a pretty fun character. It was taking other people's items to see how it would look when it performed in them- which I thought was pretty cute. I look forward to seeing Serena's first official performance.

Loved the episode!! Yancham cute and funny! Fokko was overcute in the episode!
Yancham vs Fokko! was awesome, cutest battle I ever seen!
Love the performance at the beginning! Teruna was amazing to watch!!
episode was an instant 10 out of 10!! more like 11/10

not related to the episode itself:
That ending was just as cute too! One of the best endings I seen in so long.
Focusing on Serena, Yancham, and Fokko!
my heath will faint every time I see it on episodes

This episode had a lot going for it.

Firstly, it was nice to see Shauna/Bulbasaur again and so soon. I hope Ash & Co meet up with the rival trio frequently. We finally see Aria in person, however her personality is still unknown. I really thought she would interact with Serena this time around, but I guess that will be saved for later. The TriPokalon event was a shameless Contest Appeal in disguise, but at least the Trainer can, and is expected to, equally perform with their partner.

The fact that Jessie is interested in becoming a Pokemon performer makes me happy. A lot of her great characterization came from her side job as a coordinator, especially in the Sinnoh region. Thus if she regains that same momentum as a Performer, I think it will make the XY series even better and do wonders for TR. Plus, that gives Serena a rival. Also, their plan in the episode made sense; mirror Aria's success with her Braixen by stealing its pre-evolution. Not that I was rooting for them...

And then Pancham. I was a little disappointed that it was able to easily sneak into the Tri Pokalon stage and disrupt everything. Where's the security? Who was in charge? A wild Pokemon causes havoc and everyone is mildly concerned? Then there were all the items it stole (and now that it's with Serena, what happens to said items?). I did really enjoy a glass-less Clemont though (that squinting!). I hope they have more glass-less incidents in the future.

Serena's battle felt somewhat cheap: just where did Fennekin's impressive dodging/jumping abilities come from? And I felt that Pancham didn't battle as effectively as it did against Team Rocket. Also a side note, Pancham's moves looked more like Stone Edge and Arm Thrust to me...(yet Bulbapedia says otherwise). But moving past all that, she caught her first Pokemon, had amazing focus art at the end, and has cool new ending dedicated to her. Thus I'm looking forward to her endeavors in the future.

I really liked this episode! Pancham is so cute. I'm glad Serena finally caught another Pokemon. I have a feeling Pancham will become her main battler. And the ending sequence with Serena, Pancham, and Fennekin performing in their blue outfits was just too adorable.

Also a side note, Pancham's moves looked more like Stone Edge and Arm Thrust to me...(yet Bulbapedia says otherwise). But moving past all that, she caught her first Pokemon, had amazing focus art at the end, and has cool new ending dedicated to her. Thus I'm looking forward to her endeavors in the future.

I have to disagree... the animation for Stone Edge has never looked even close to that, ever.

Last edited:
I wonder why this time Serena and Fennekin didn't get competitive against Elle. Maybe Fennekin didn't recognize the evolved form. :D
Other than Fennekin being suddenly powered-up, this episode was good.

It's not going to happen...

I really liked this episode! Pancham is so cute. I'm glad Serena finally caught another Pokemon. I have a feeling Pancham will become her main battler. And the ending sequence with Serena, Pancham, and Fennekin performing n their blue outfits was just too adorable.

Also a side note, Pancham's moves looked more like Stone Edge and Arm Thrust to me...(yet Bulbapedia says otherwise). But moving past all that, she caught her first Pokemon, had amazing focus art at the end, and has cool new ending dedicated to her. Thus I'm looking forward to her endeavors in the future.

I have to disagree... the animation for Stone Edge has never looked even close to that, ever.

And since when has Rock Slide had blue rocks protruding from the ground in the anime?

Stone Edge's description matches the visual effect of Pancham's rock move.

Pancham gave me "Aipom" vibes when it stole Ash's hat and then Clemont's glasses. Sounds like it could be a fun addition to the group.

It was interesting to see Shauna again, but I didn't expect her to just run off in the first half of the episode. I guess she just did her job in the episode - pointing Serena to TriPokalons - and that was that.

And, of course, it's about time Serena caught her first Pokemon. Overall, this episode turned out to be quite fun.

I wonder how I'll handle two extremely hyperactive Pokemon - Chespin popping out of its ball is annoying enough, but this Pancham seems to take that to another level. Perhaps Serena should keep Pancham off the Pokepuffs for a while. It certainly looks like Pancham comes at this with more experience, so I wonder how much Serena will fail early on, or whether she will be just suddenly great at performing?

It's hard to see these performances not getting repetitive. A dog jumping through a hoop isn't the most amazing thing ever - how many different variations could there be, especially to try and keep Serena's act fresh. That's why the battle element was so good in contests.

Anyway, it's good to see the focus on Serena and her having a goal in mind now. That tackle was quite good as well - the effects of being around Ash too long?

Glasses-less Clemont was amusing, especially apologising for bumping into that rock.

The fact that Jessie is interested in becoming a Pokemon performer makes me happy. A lot of her great characterization came from her side job as a coordinator, especially in the Sinnoh region. Thus if she regains that same momentum as a Performer, I think it will make the XY series even better and do wonders for TR. Plus, that gives Serena a rival. Also, their plan in the episode made sense; mirror Aria's success with her Braixen by stealing its pre-evolution. Not that I was rooting for them...
This. I was all ready to get angry about Team Rocket ruining everything, but as you say, their plan made perfect sense here and it sets up a lot for the future.

Plus, these performances suit Jessie even better than contests did, because she would be part of the spotlight, not just a trainer off to the side shouting orders. While I don't particularly like that in terms of comparing Serena's possible future to Dawn/May, for Jessie it's great.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom