• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY050: Dance, Yancham — Captivate, Fokko! The Dance for Tomorrow!!

ArvAl

Not gone yet. I refuse
Reaction score
XY050 - Bulbapedia, the community driven Pokémon encyclopedia

It's been few hours since airing and no one did the new thread so is it ok if I making one for it?

I'll post my review soon after I watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: XY050 : Dance Yancham - Captivate Fokko! The Dance for Tomorrow!

Nice to see Jessie loving Smoochum again, it really seems like they're slowly going to focus on Team Rocket as characters with their own interests again, instead of just a trio of thieves. Now just give us James' bottlecaps and it'd be awesome.

So I saw this during the Lati's Mega-overview:

vlcsnap-2014-11-13-15h47m55s26.png

Haha, awesome.

So Serena's Pancham is male?

Pancham vs Chespin... it begins.

Maybe, but it's still unknown. I say Tamagawa once again was the Animation direction, but he done only the second part while Natsume did the first part.

New Pokeani episode was surprisingly
enjoyable. Let’s see:

- Nene was NOT bland! I loved everyone’s
reaction to her overly dramatic performance
closure, it really made her character stand
out.

- Nene’s team was also fun! I swear, her
Farfetch’d made the best faces throughout
the episode. Generally, both Smoochum and
Farfetch’d had a personality and I truly hope
we see them again.

- SERENA AND CLEMONT! One of the best
things that came out of this whole Pancham/
Chespin fight was that Serena and Clemont
got a lot more focus than Ash for a change
and they even got to battle TOGETHER! :) - Pancham and Chespin joining forces was
amazing - when united, they are a force to
be reckoned with. I also loved TRio being
annoyed at the two fighting.

- The Performances were cool but I am really
eager see Serena all dressed up and under a
spotlight. I suspect her performances will be
better animated than today’s episode so it
will be exciting to watch them in their full
glory.

Maybe, but it's still unknown. I say Tamagawa once again was the Animation direction, but he done only the second part while Natsume did the first part.

The first credited animation supervisor was Matsunaga Kanae, followed by Tamagawa.

This episode was okay, though I'm pretty annoyed with all the misleading titles. You'd expect this to be a Pancham and Fennekin episode when it really focuses on Pancham and...ugggh Chespin.

First off, I'm officially done with Chespin and his annoying as hell food stealing. I can't imagine why Serena was stopping Pancham from scolding Chespin (at least that's what it looked like), when he rightfully deserved it. Speaking of which, this scene right here made me appreciate Pancham a little bit. He's not bratty like in his debut and actually calls Chespin out on being a jerk. If he keeps acting like this I might just start to like him a lot. And I was so glad when Clemont had that...whatever invention dance with Chespin and promptly blow up in his face.

Moving on to Nene (I think that's the girl's name). I thought she was okay, but she just kinda seemed...there for the most part after her performance. Also her lips and expressions creep me out. But her Pokemon I loved. They had actual personalities, which is rare for CoD Pokemon, and I loved how they did this with less popular Pokemon, especially Farfetch'd who I adore. I didn't expect Smoochum to develop a crush on Pancham so that was pretty neat to include. (And I guess it also means Pancham is male, something I really couldn't figure out). I liked all of the performances; Serena's probably being my favorite.

And then TR sport off probably the ugliest disguises ever for their little plot. Well, if there was one thing I liked about them today, it's that they referenced Jessie's love of Smoochum. As expected, Pancham and Chespin put aside their differences to stop TR and I'll admit that they had some damn good teamwork, combinations, and crafty methods of attacking. That was probably the second highlight of the episode after the performances. But the one time I would have liked to see something cliche, Pancham and Chespin go right back to fighting after they beat TR. I hoped they would have become friends, but no. I really hope they don't have another "2 Pokemon on the main cast rivalry" for the rest of this series.

As I said, this episode was okay, but I would have preferred more actual focus on Serena and her performance instead of Pancham and Chespin bickering. Though this episode did make me start to like Pancham, showed off some pretty cool performances, and had a CoD with interesting and entertaining Pokemon. So all in all, I think I'll go with and 8/10 for now.

Awesome episode! Lol at the female Chespin invention (I guess that was Clemont was working on last episode). Nene, ugh her lips, it makes her look like Garnet and Amethyst from Steven Universe.

I thought it was a good episode, despite the cliches
Serena's been practicing her performances, that's good to see
Nene looks like a female impersonator
Team Rocket's 80s-inspired outfits were fab, particularly Jessie's

I find Serena's performance was too unrealistic. I guess she received some critiques from the gang but I'm not satisfied with that.
I hate Smoochum and it was one of the reasons why I didn't like the episode.
Chespin was way too antipatic.
I love seeing Serena's Fennekin suffering. But that scene was still rather cheap. I mean, 3 of them got smashed and the 3 got on their feet as soon as Pancham and Chespin decided to work together. How can it get any lamer...

I can not even say OK. Below average/OK episode.

PS: With this episode, is it confirmed that Serena's Pancham is male? Smoochum are surely females. So?..

I like Nene's design because they managed to do something that's hard for animated characters, which is designing someone who's clearly not physically attractive, but without making them look really, explicitly ugly.

I like Nene's design because they managed to do something that's hard for animated characters, which is designing someone who's clearly not physically attractive, but without making them look really, explicitly ugly.

And why isn't she physically attractive? Because she's thick? Please. That's precisely whats wrong with people today and the whole concept that beauty=thin. Now if you articulate that into saying that you yourself do not think she is physically attractive, fair enough. But don't imply that by definition of physique, she has no attractiveness.

I for one appreciate that she isn't another thin-as-bones girl that makes up a good portion of the female characters on the show. The episode itself was cute, nothing special. I swear Serena and Nene looked like they were doing Contest Appeals rather than TriPokalon performances.

Chespin is getting both annoying and old; again its unreasonable gluttony goes unpunished. Pancham getting screen time was really appreciated though, as well as Fennekin, Smoochum & Farfetch'd. Also the teamwork Pancham and Chespin displayed largely mimicked Froakie and Hawlucha's, right down to their own variation of the "Super Flying Cut." I still think Chespin should have been scolded, or at least attacked by the gangs Pokemon (come on Luxio!).

And why isn't she physically attractive? Because she's thick? Please. That's precisely whats wrong with people today and the whole concept that beauty=thin. Now if you articulate that into saying that you yourself do not think she is physically attractive, fair enough. But don't imply that by definition of physique, she has no attractiveness.

I for one appreciate that she isn't another thin-as-bones girl that makes up a good portion of the female characters on the show.

Oh, man. This is exactly the kind of misunderstanding I'm trying to avoid! I'm obviously talking about the typical beauty standards and how they are shown in animation, in which almost everyone looks kind of cute or beauty in some way (again, by mainstream stereotipical standards), and if that's not the case, they're drawn explicitly ugly to show off that.

The least thing I'd do in my life is to think someone is not physically attractive because they're not thin. Seriously, that mentality is something that bothers me to death. I meant "not physically attractive" by the very same concept you said about beauty=thin (among other physical attributes), which is an actual trope seen often in animation. Not necessarily on purpose, of course.

I for one appreciate that she isn't another thin-as-bones girl that makes up a good portion of the female characters on the show. The episode itself was cute, nothing special. I swear Serena and Nene looked like they were doing Contest Appeals rather than TriPokalon performances.

Chespin is getting both annoying and old; again its unreasonable gluttony goes unpunished. Pancham getting screen time was really appreciated though, as well as Fennekin, Smoochum & Farfetch'd. Also the teamwork Pancham and Chespin displayed largely mimicked Froakie and Hawlucha's, right down to their own variation of the "Super Flying Cut." I still think Chespin should have been scolded, or at least attacked by the gangs Pokemon (come on Luxio!).

Nene isn't unattractive because she's 'thick', she's unattractive because she's not cute. Sazaki Kaoruko from Gundam Build Fighters Try is 'thick', but she is obviously drawn to be attractive. For Nene our dear Character Designer Hiro'oka Toshihito simply drew an ugly design. It's not exactly a surprise, given a lot of his designs for Pocket Monster XY are pretty ugly. His working as the chief animation supervisor for every episode doesn't help, either.

I for one appreciate that she isn't another thin-as-bones girl that makes up a good portion of the female characters on the show.

Oh, man. This is exactly the kind of misunderstanding I'm trying to avoid! I'm obviously talking about the typical beauty standards and how they are shown in animation, in which almost everyone looks kind of cute or beauty in some way (again, by mainstream stereotipical standards), and if that's not the case, they're drawn explicitly ugly to show off that.

The least thing I'd do in my life is to think someone is not physically attractive because they're not thin. Seriously, that mentality is something that bothers me to death. I meant "not physically attractive" by the very same concept you said about beauty=thin (among other physical attributes), which is an actual trope seen often in animation. Not necessarily on purpose, of course.

Oh...I apologize then. ^___^

And I'm glad to see you agree~

That whole episode I was expecting Farfetch'd to do something big - considering all the cuts to it being panicked. I suppose the use of the leek to figure out what direction they were going was something, but it just seemed like a climax was coming but never reached for it. It's nice to see Farfetch'd though, it's not a Pokemon you see a lot of.

The performances were nice - but unless Serena captures a lot of Pokemon, there's only so many moves and variations on them that could possibly be done. I just can't see this not being boring in the long run - plus, there's not much to separate Serena and the COTD's performances - Serena's probably more visually interesting from the attacks, but less interesting from her personal role in it vs the backflips and dancing from the COTD, which will make it hard to have obviously superior winners for the competitions. *grumble grumble bring back contests grumble*

It's amusing to me that Chespin and Pancham were able to do what was essentially the Super Flying Cut combination move that Ash worked hard with Froakie and Hawlucha on, without practice and without a trainer. After that it seemed redundant for Serena and Clemont to command attacks at the end - they had it all sorted clearly.

Chespin seriously needs some character direction, it's really getting tiresome.

Serena just did a double performance..... it's EXACTLY the same... "Pokémon Showcase" yeah right, more like "the performance stage of Pokémon Contests, without the battle stage and much less exciting/interesting for the viewers and done by girls-only"
It is seriously confusing why they didn't just make her a Coordinator, aside from intentionally limiting her role to a sidekick because all of a sudden someone up there decided to go against the idea of a starring girl.
That aside, her performance was actually pretty good, especially for a first try. I'm still looking forward to the Showcase eps but... damn... they're way too similar to the Contest performances for one not to comment on... although I guess it IS more true to the game Contests compared to what the anime called Contests...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom