• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY051: Luchabull and Dark Luchabull!

A couple of interesting things happened in this episode...

- Team Rocket got an extended theme here, which incorporated the theme from the classic series. This was nice.
- Oh hai random Erureido. You wouldn't be here to promote a newly released game by any chance?
- For Pokemon Quiz, the answer was Dark Luchabull, but all the other answers were Satoshi's Hawlucha in different poses with no choice for Team Rocket (who I didn't think were going to turn up in this episode).
- Another verse of V (Volt) could be heard during the battle between Satoshi and Carl's Luchabull... I'm guessing the opening is going to be changed again before long.
- Mega Evolution Corner: Yamirami. We got to see some interesting stuff with Mega Yamirami... it turns out that technically Yamirami doesn't mega evolve, it's actually the jewel in its chest which does that after ejecting. This leaves a hole in Yamirami's chest, and every time the jewel is hit with an attack it gets smaller and when it can't shrink anymore Mega Yamirami eats it and turns back into its regular form.

The Rocket trio absolutely saved this episode for me. I didn't really care about the Luchabre plot and felt like the post-Rocket battle dragged on waaaaay too long.

The episode was kind of boring, in my opinion. Gallade getting hurt felt somewhat forced, but it's just because battles and physical attacks between Pokémon happen always in this series, so it's weird seeing someone needing crutches because of dodging a single Thunderbolt. Oh, and they're abusing the opening theme. I wish they could have a different, instrumental version for use like what they did in Best Wishes...

Making up for the rest of the episode, Team Rocket managed to be pretty entertaining, and they finally did a motto without recycling footage! Well, they did it before, in the Espurr and Frogadier episodes, but they just recited the motto then, instead of performing it like it should be. They've truly been on a roll lately. But seriously, the thing that really interested me the most was hearing the full motto BGM, and it was awesome.

Last edited:
A little late for the review on account of the fact that I just found this episode. But anyway, here we go.

First off, I can totally see Ash's error. I mean, practicing for a play in the middle of a walking path with no one person in visible sight. I might be fooled too. And damn Galade's injury looked painful. I was surprised to see them put a Pokemon on crutches, though. I really didn't expect that, especially since we've seen worse injuries than this.

I was so glad to see that it was Bonnie who suggested that Ash have his Hawlucha participate in the play. Though at the same time I thought it would have been interesting and totally understandable if the director forced Ash to have one of his Pokemon act to make up for the fact that he injured one of his actors. But whatever. The practice acting scene was pretty funny and I really liked Hawlucha and Dark Hawlucha's personalities being shown off.

So Dark Hawlucha used to be a champion at something as well. I thought that was cool and made their rivalry more interesting. Adding to other things I didn't expect was Ash battle scene training with Hawlucha. Seriously, not even a Pokemon, but Ash himself. Moving on to the play, I thought it was cool they the Hawlucha took out TR with that combo attack.

And now for that final fight scene. It was awesome. The fact that they changed the scene to a wrestling ring just made it all the more awesome. I honestly couldn't tell who'd rally win at one point, though the end result was pretty obvious since it had to go with the script of the play. Ash's Hawlucha's combos were much better though if you ask me.

Overall, I'd say this was a good one. The only scene I really disliked was the one with TR, but even that came with a cool double Hawlucha combo. 8/10.

The Rocket trio absolutely saved this episode for me. I didn't really care about the Luchabre plot and felt like the post-Rocket battle dragged on waaaaay too long.
This so much. Even if their appearance was short, it was sure... fruitable xD I wish XY delivered more motto variations like in this episode instead of resuing the same animation over and over again.

More spotlight for the TRio! :D

From time to time, I start thinking that my "love" for Pokémon and Team Rocket is subsiding. And, from time to time, the writers decide to overwhelm me with the awesomeness that Team Rocket is! As shown in this episode! I must have listened to this episode's motto for 100 times by now... And the more I listen to it, the more I get the "Rocket vibe" that sometimes fades away for hundreds of episodes. Pure Team Rocket, that is all I want! And I watched for the first time today (without even knowing of its existance) the motto two episodes ago in which Meowth filled in for James. Thank you, thank you.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom