• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

REVIEW: XY054: Calamanero VS Maaiika! The Bonds that Would Save the World!!

TPrower

Reaction score
Malamar has got to be the most fear-worthy Pokemon we've gotten thus far. Funnily enough, I have one in rotation on my Y team. XD

My heart went warm and fuzzy at James and Inkay's bond. Team Rocket may be crooks, but they love their Pokemon. =)

Moe

Reaction score
My main thought out of this episode - have Malamar replaced Team Flare as the regional evil team? We're a year in and we've now - surely if a plot with the actual villains was going to happen we'd have seen the start of things by now?

The really good use of Inkay here as well as James' personality makes this episode really well done, so I've no complaints about content.

JacobYBM

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Scenarist Fujita Shinzou also wrote Episode #19 , which introduced Calamanero. I wonder if the idea for the story arc started a pitch from him or if Tomioka Atsuhiro simply felt Fujita would be suited to continuing the arc he began.

Kyriaki

Steven Stone For Life
Reaction score
I loved the friendship between James and Inkay. James caring for his mons has always been a favorite part of the anime for me :3

Also, I like how James was pretty much the star of the show. It's a nice change of pace.

Lluksonak

Uninteresting Individual
Reaction score
First TRio focused episode of the XY series! Did a really nice job developing the relationship between James and Inkay.

+ Glad to see Ash not taking much of the spotlight this episode hehe :x

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
So what are the Malamar seeking to achieve? A translation would be appreciated.

Lluksonak

Uninteresting Individual
Reaction score
Well, here's what I think(I don't understand/speak Japanese, lol)

The 3 Malamar hypnotized a group of scientists to invent those 5/6 crystal(?) things, and the reason for that, they pretty much showed it to our heroes: they use these crystals to warp everything around it and practically destroy the whole world.

I gotta say, this is a pretty dark plot for a Pokemon episode, lol

Stofen

Reaction score
Well, here's what I think(I don't understand/speak Japanese, lol)

The 3 Malamar hypnotized a group of scientists to invent those 5/6 crystal(?) things, and the reason for that, they pretty much showed it to our heroes: they use these crystals to warp everything around it and practically destroy the whole world.

I gotta say, this is a pretty dark plot for a Pokemon episode, lol
If I didn't know any better I would think that would be a Dead Space reference right there. Huge obelisk like object with the intention of destroying everyone(everything here at least) around it and enemies with the ability to convert others, ring any bells?

Pokeplayer150

Reaction score
Hmm, looks like it isn't the last we'll see of those three, *cough* revelation of *cough* involvement with *cough* Team Flare *cough* in future episode *cough* anyone *cough*?

Last edited:

SammyW27

Avengers Endgame in a nutshell
Reaction score
My main thought out of this episode - have Malamar replaced Team Flare as the regional evil team? We're a year in and we've now - surely if a plot with the actual villains was going to happen we'd have seen the start of things by now?
Be patient. I'm sure they'll show up. We already have Lysandre, so we're a step in the right direction.

Remember: BW was almost over when Team Plasma finally appeared.
(and XY is already doing things better than BW)

Reila Nimu

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Nice to have Malamar back in the show, as it is one of my favorites. I do wish they kept only one Malamar as the villain, though. Oh, well. I have to wonder if it is evil because lol evil or if it does have its reasons to do bad things. Knowing Pokémon, it is most likely the later scenario and that is fine, for me.

Lastly, Inkay is adorable. Its friendship with James is lovely.