• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY054: Calamanero VS Maaiika! The Bonds that Would Save the World!!

Malamar has got to be the most fear-worthy Pokemon we've gotten thus far. Funnily enough, I have one in rotation on my Y team. XD

My heart went warm and fuzzy at James and Inkay's bond. Team Rocket may be crooks, but they love their Pokemon. =)

My main thought out of this episode - have Malamar replaced Team Flare as the regional evil team? We're a year in and we've now - surely if a plot with the actual villains was going to happen we'd have seen the start of things by now?

The really good use of Inkay here as well as James' personality makes this episode really well done, so I've no complaints about content.

Scenarist Fujita Shinzou also wrote Episode #19 , which introduced Calamanero. I wonder if the idea for the story arc started a pitch from him or if Tomioka Atsuhiro simply felt Fujita would be suited to continuing the arc he began.

I loved the friendship between James and Inkay. James caring for his mons has always been a favorite part of the anime for me :3

Also, I like how James was pretty much the star of the show. It's a nice change of pace.

First TRio focused episode of the XY series! Did a really nice job developing the relationship between James and Inkay.

+ Glad to see Ash not taking much of the spotlight this episode hehe :x

So what are the Malamar seeking to achieve? A translation would be appreciated.
Well, here's what I think(I don't understand/speak Japanese, lol)

The 3 Malamar hypnotized a group of scientists to invent those 5/6 crystal(?) things, and the reason for that, they pretty much showed it to our heroes: they use these crystals to warp everything around it and practically destroy the whole world.

I gotta say, this is a pretty dark plot for a Pokemon episode, lol

So what are the Malamar seeking to achieve? A translation would be appreciated.
Well, here's what I think(I don't understand/speak Japanese, lol)

The 3 Malamar hypnotized a group of scientists to invent those 5/6 crystal(?) things, and the reason for that, they pretty much showed it to our heroes: they use these crystals to warp everything around it and practically destroy the whole world.

I gotta say, this is a pretty dark plot for a Pokemon episode, lol

If I didn't know any better I would think that would be a Dead Space reference right there. Huge obelisk like object with the intention of destroying everyone(everything here at least) around it and enemies with the ability to convert others, ring any bells?

Hmm, looks like it isn't the last we'll see of those three, *cough* revelation of *cough* involvement with *cough* Team Flare *cough* in future episode *cough* anyone *cough*?

Last edited:
My main thought out of this episode - have Malamar replaced Team Flare as the regional evil team? We're a year in and we've now - surely if a plot with the actual villains was going to happen we'd have seen the start of things by now?

Be patient. I'm sure they'll show up. We already have Lysandre, so we're a step in the right direction.

Remember: BW was almost over when Team Plasma finally appeared.
(and XY is already doing things better than BW)

Nice to have Malamar back in the show, as it is one of my favorites. I do wish they kept only one Malamar as the villain, though. Oh, well. I have to wonder if it is evil because lol evil or if it does have its reasons to do bad things. Knowing Pokémon, it is most likely the later scenario and that is fine, for me.

Lastly, Inkay is adorable. Its friendship with James is lovely.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom