• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!

REVIEW: XY059: Satoshi and Serena's First Date!? The Tree of Promises and the Presents!!

Reaction score
Re: XY059: Ash and Serena's First Date!? The Oath Tree and the Present!!

PockyAddict said:
^^ So the title of the episode was a bait title. Because I had a feeling that there was'nt gonna be any "Date" in the episode.
It was about as much of a date as anyone could reasonably expect from a Pocket Monsters episode.
To be fair, that time Ash and Iris hung out in Nimbasa City managed to feel more like a date than this, even if it wasn't one.

Reaction score
If that man in the flashback was Ramos and that plant that was given to Skiddo is the huge tree.
Then HOW OLD would Ramos be?

Get in the bag Nebby
Reaction score
I loved this episode, it was extremely adorable. I definitely loved all the shipping moments, especially when Serena tried to hold Ash's hand and when Ash gave her his ribbon that he won.
10/10

Reaction score
Did you guys notice that it was Clemont that said the episode title with a surprised voice?

Nah, not possible.
Reaction score
... So in the end, the whole "date" thing was really just a huge red herring. Called it.

I guess no one else really knows what's with Dunsparse. My guess is that they'll have Ash catch one once it receives a Megavolution so it can become a deus-ex-machina idiot Pokemon like Psyduck.

Reaction score
Calling it now....the dub title will have nothing to do with dating at all, and will have more to do with the actual plot.

Hey, they did it with Splitting Heirs.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
I'm so glad AmourShipping is not canon yet lol PokéShipping for ever.

But I'm very glad and touched that every single character gave their Pokémon some gifts. :D Of course Ash would be a foodaholic.

Reaction score
... So in the end, the whole "date" thing was really just a huge red herring. Called it.

I guess no one else really knows what's with Dunsparse. My guess is that they'll have Ash catch one once it receives a Megavolution so it can become a deus-ex-machina idiot Pokemon like Psyduck.
I doubt Ash will catch a Dunsparce. I mean what makes you think that he will catch one? Is there anything that foreshadows Ash catching that Land Snake Pokémon? Like a poster or a merchandise? Or a future episode?

Last edited:
Cadillac of Fossils
Reaction score
I really loved this episode. Even though I ship Ash and Serena, it doesn't disappoint me that the episode title was a red herring because the other parts of the episode made up for it. I loved the interactions between the group's Pokemon, especially Bunnelby and Hawlucha, which I thought was really cute. Also, the Pokemon's reactions to their gifts were great - the look on Luxio's face while he was looking at the music box was touching, Dedenne's reaction to Bonnie's drawing was hilarious, and Pancham blushing was cute.

One thing I wish they had done was just let Team Rocket have a sweet moment. Them trying to steal the gifts was really unnecessary and I could have done without it.

Overall, I give this episode a 9/10.

Reaction score
Toward the end all I could think was how this would have been a good episode to air...around a month and a half ago...