• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY069: Battle in the Wetlands! Numelgon VS Florges!!

For me the episode was as flat as a pancake - there was minimal build up even for the battle! Nice to see Pikachu not taking part tho ;-) I'm also getting deadly bored of this stupid Harimaron greed gag - please give it something else to do or shove it into its ball so we don't have to watch the same scenario play out every time they're eating!! I found the animation below par for the high quality we've been treated to in this series of the show. Everything felt stiff and cardboard-y.

On the plus side... um... I guess I always like it when Satoshi is a little vulnerable? (But he wasn't that vulnerable... I dunno it's hard to really build up an emotional response about a pokemon with not much personality who hasn't been around all that long.) Arsehole TRio is always fun.

What struck me about this episode is the seemingly innate ability of Pokémon to recognise each other despite evolution... both Upah and Florges recognised Numelgon within seconds of seeing it despite the massive size difference to Numera.

I really liked the League theme in this episode. Also, I can't believe the gang didn't recognize who fired the Shadow Ball/Psybeam at Goodra. I mean, come on, after seeing Team Rocket do it every time (not to mention their constant encounters), you'd think they would at least suspect their involvement.

Last edited:
Id say it was alright, Ice beam doesnt hurt anyone (except the one who takes it)

The inevitable conclusion to this arc makes it very hard to accept any degree of tension here - it sucks having to ground how much I like Ash's Goodra in knowing that it will go away next episode, it puts a downer on every scene that shows how great a Pokemon it is. One of the best personalities on a Pokemon in a while, with a great backstory and plenty of room to develop with Ash and the other Pokemon, so obviously it has to go.

I hate it.

Florges' debut appearance being evil is a nice touch for the Fairy type, though perhaps this is like the one off nice Ursaring and the rest will be typecast.

I just finished this episode. This episode is..... flat out bad.

I mean, Team Rocket again stealing unnecessary stuff? And that is actually to set up a Goodbye Finale? Since the water stealing did not conclude in this episode. I mean, IF Floreges is like what we have shown, is totally MISUNDERSTOOD, WHY THE F*** Goodra has to stay and protect the swamp? In case other Pokemon have use of the water and come to attack again? What kind of bull**** is that?

Team Rocket ambushing here is making me hating them more. I don't mind them being more serious but I HATE when they DON'T LOVE POKEMON anymore! BW intended to make them more serious because of the promotion so I kinda half accepted it. I mean Team Rocket ARE bad buys, BUT! BUT! I have always thought them as people who went the wrong path but still loves Pokemon. When James caught Inkay and gave it food, I thought they were still the Team Rocket I loved. BUT........ *sighs* they aren't anymore. They are now truely bad guys, I really want them in jail. If they roam free for one more second from here on I call it injustice, a kid's show should show moral that BAD GUYS WILL GET WHAT THEY DESERVES.

Ash leaving the problem to the Pokemon in the swamp..... *shudders* *breaks into a huge laugh* I feel the writers have reached their short end of the stick. Even with some dude advising them not to, Ash SHOULD HAVE intervened. Its so not like Ash, Pikachu is in character atleast. Attacking other Pokemon's habitat is flat out wrong, its not the nature's business, its a matter of justice. Just f*** it. And the reason makes me laugh even more, its just like any war in the history, for the sake of one men/woman, or in this case, a child. The Anime is a kid's show, so they won't show if all of the Pokemon in the swamp are still alive! This one life is more important than others is one of the DUMBEST concept in the world, what a thing to teach the kids.

I ran out of interest to write anything more about this episode, overall a horrible to death episode. -3/10. Not even giving a 0, its that bad.

I normally don't swear in my posts, but this episode is totally ruining my appetite.

Last edited:
Let's just be glad that Kenzo is around, since it sets up a similar situation to Satoshi's Glion where it can come back for the League if necessary.

With Goodra learning Ice Beam here and Florges using all of those Grass-type moves, I wonder if the writers of this episode forgot that Florges isn't a Grass-type.

Petal Blizzard looks like a blue XY Razor Leaf.

Very disappointed. And Ice Beam? Really? I was honestly expecting a Poison type move.

And this episode is what it is. I do really like the appearance and characterization of Florges though. Such a unique Pokemon.

However I don't understand Ash & Co's mentality of not assisting Goodra and its friends. They've helped out in wild Pokemon affairs/disputes numerous times before, so I don't see why this is any different.

I thought this was a good beginning to the 2-parter.

Ok, first thing that stuck out to me was Frogadier and Luxray being absent during the meal scene. Seriously, Ash and Clemont's other Pokemon were there and Serena had both of her's out. Weird. Sigh, Chespin's still acting like a dick. Oh well. I was thrilled to see Dedenne zap him though. And I thought it was adorable how Goodra offered some of his own food to Dedenne.

Ok, I get that they had to have Goodra meet back up with his old buddies, but ignoring the power of plot, I still found it odd that Ash decided to return all of his other Pokemon except Goodra. Whaever. Seeing the flashback of Florges and the bug-types attaking the swap was cool. Nice to see how Goomy ended up in his original predicament.

Aw, I love how they had Bonnie in the background playing with Dedenne while the others were talking. That was so cute. Just as cute was the following scene where Wooper recognized Goodra as his Goomy friend. Wow, I was surprised to see Goodra running.

Damn Florges looked badass with her bug army. Speaking of which, this episode actually made Florges look kind of cute. Never cared too much for it before. I liked how Wooper's gang helped along in the fight, but I thought it was totally weird that Ash didn't want to. He's always so eager to help with thing like this so it was a bit weird seeing him tell Pikachu to back off. I did like how Florges remembered Goodra as a scared Goomy.

I seriously didn't expert Goodra to learn Ice Beam. That just seemed totally random. And with that, am I the only one who thinks Sliggoo learning Dragon Breath was totally pointless? He only had it for a short while, used it a couple of times, then replaced it with Dragon Pulse which is ignored in favor of Bide for the most part anyway. It feels like they're just slapping move after move on him. Though a part of me does find it funny that Goodra had learned more moves in his short time on the cast than Hawlucha other Pokemon who have been here much longer. I guess Florges's army's escape scene was interesting.

Ok, now I'm really intrigured to see how TR and the Floette are fitting into all of this. Can't wait for next week. Overall, a good episode so far. 8/10.

The inevitable conclusion to this arc makes it very hard to accept any degree of tension here - it sucks having to ground how much I like Ash's Goodra in knowing that it will go away next episode, it puts a downer on every scene that shows how great a Pokemon it is. One of the best personalities on a Pokemon in a while, with a great backstory and plenty of room to develop with Ash and the other Pokemon, so obviously it has to go.

Let's just be glad that Kenzo is around, since it sets up a similar situation to Satoshi's Glion where it can come back for the League if necessary.

For the love of Arceus people! What's it going to take to get the fact that it's not confirmed through your heads?

Why would Florges and her Bug-type army attack Goodra's homeland in the first place? Goodra's side didn't do anything to them.

Last edited:
Catching up with the anime and... This episode was quite enjoyable. Florges is such a boss. That Whooper is really adorable also.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom