• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY070: Conclusion! Numelgon, Somewhere Over the Rainbow!!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Episode page here

Clemont figured out the Psybeam and Shadow Ball came from Team Rocket. FINALLY someone brought a brain. Including that Clembot investigation, he is a CSI material. And Clemont came up with the distraction plan to let Ash and Goodra proceed, truly the MVP of this episode.

Lets not complain about the story writing first. Team Rocket once again hid away a huge freaking flying machine at some place that is physically impossible let alone unnoticed. And what is Team Rocket thinking by revealing the fact that they are the bad guys in front of Florges? To make sure they make one more enemy? That leading to their downfall is the best I think, Idiocy at its finest. I figured out that Goodra is still injured. BUT Team Rocket forgot the fact that Ash has 3 other Pokemon than Pikachu and Goodra? Do they even STAND A FREAKING CHANCE? Idiocy on a whole another level. But Ash did forgot he has 3 other Pokemons..... Idiocy on rampage!

Floette joining the hands of Florges and Goodra together. THAT SCENE. I dunno how to describe. WHAT EXACTLY did Ash saw? I don't understand. Maybe its the interaction between all 4 Pokemon (Goodra, Floette, Florges and Wooper) which made Ash consider releasing Goodra, but I dunno why I didn't feel that way. That you jump I jump scene. Sigh.. lost words to describe. I am shocked when Goodra jumped, but Ash jumped too? Is it even needed (where is your Fletcheinder)? Ash will jump ofcourse, but him catching up with the falling Goodra and Florges felt unbelievably fake and he truly accomplised nothing by doing so. Unlike the first epsode, him shielding Pikachu will atleast make sure Pikachu will be safe. Here? Not quite. Anyways, Goodra's friends did something useful? That's new.

Now into the most horrid part of this two-parter. STORYWRITING. I find it stupid to believe in any single plot in these episodes because of the overwhelming number of plot holes, and each of the plot holes are ridiculously big.

When did Team Rocket started to drain the waters at the Swamp? From what I know prior Ash catches Goomy they had been stalking Ash. And why would they blame it to the Pokemons in the swamp for over-consumption of water? So that they attack the Swamp Pokemons and blast Goomy away then so Goodra can bring Ash to the Swamp and so their trap can work? Logic be damned. This is horrid.

Another Logic problem. How do the Swamp Pokemons deplete the water? The cave is situated above the swamp right? ....... Seriously? I know there are natural phenomenons that make water flows upwards, but this is certainly no the case. Once again, logic be damned.

Overall, I love Goodra's personality, so is Florges', and Clemont is smart in this episode. Bonnie is totally unhelpful and finally, laughable story, in fact unlaughable, too ****ed up to be humorous about it.

Quite sad Goodra is definitely not coming back, but then, it might be for the best so that they won't remind us this bad story.

-5/10, negative five. One hell of a bad story.

Last edited:
My summary of the episode.

The episode starts with a recap of what happened in the previous episode.

Ash and co. all go outside the cabin.

Goodra leaves the bed that it was sleeping in and decides to go after the Pokemon that captured Pikachu, Dedenne and Wooper.

Goodra is too weak to go after the Pokemon though.

Clemont informs Ash, Serena and Bonnie that Goodra was badly injured because Team Rocket attacked Goodra with their Pokemon.

They all figure out that Team Rocket might be working with Florges.

Team Rocket are with Florges, a Blue Flower Floette and the Pokemon they stole in the cave where Florges lives.

Ash and co. decide to go after their stolen Pokemon and Wooper.

Some of Florges's Pokemon attack Ash and co.

Clemont sends out his Chespin and Bunnelby to attack the Bug and/or Poison Type Pokemon.

Serena also sends out her Braixen.

Clemont and Serena decide to stay behind and fight the Pokemon.

Ash, Bonnie and Goodra continue heading towards where Pikachu, Dedenne and Wooper are.

They arrive at the cave.

Florges is in the cave with a Floette and two Seviper by her side.

Team Rocket then take their stolen Pokemon with them, as well as the Floette.

They throw a small cubed device that creates a big smokescreen.

Team Rocket use the smokescreen to escape.

They get into a big Mantine shaped plane and fly off in it.

Dare Da? Goodra.

Ash, Bonnie, Goodra and Florges are still on the ground.

Goodra throws Ash onto the plane with its antenna's.

Goodra blasta a Dragon Pulse at the ground to send it flying towards the plane.

Florges also manages to jump onto the plane with Ash and Goodra.

They enter the plane and head towards Pikachu, Dedenne and Wooper.

Team Rocket exit their piloting seats and block Ash, Goodra and Florges's path.

James sends out his Inkay and Jessie sends out her Pumpkaboo.

Ash, Goodra and Florges battle against Team Rocket's Pokemon.

The boxes that Pikachu, Dedenne and Wooper were trapped in gets broken and then they all escape.

Team Rocket gets defeated.

Team Rocket blast off.

Ash and the Pokemon escape the plane by jumping out of it.

They fall from the sky but then some of the Beedrill in Florges's army carrie them to the ground safely.

Ash and the Pokemon then reunite with everyone else.

Goodra uses Rain Dance to give some water back to the wetlands that Team Rocket stole.

Florges then uses Grassy Field on some of the wetlands.

Ash and co. all stare at the wetlands and Ash starts to say something with a shadow covering his eyes.

He tells Goodra that it should stay in the its homeland with its friends.

Ash remembers the important memories that he had with Goodra ever since he met it as a Goomy.

Serena starts to cry and then so do Bonnie and Dedenne.

Bonnie hugs Clemont while she and Dedenne cry.

Ash and co. say goodbye to Goodra who is now with its friends in the wetlands.

To be continued.

Considering the fact that Numelgon was released in the wild with no sign of Kenzo... yeah, its not coming back for the league.

Really glad they suspected Team Rocket's involvement in this, would've taken their obliviousness levels to a new high otherwise. Sad to see Goodra go, I actually liked it.

Really glad they suspected Team Rocket's involvement in this, would've taken their obliviousness levels to a new high otherwise. Sad to see Goodra go, I actually liked it.

They don't. Clemont only. Only he has the intelligence. The rest of the group..... no.

You know, bizarrely enough, this impresses me.

Because this is the first time XY has done something bad enough to make it impossible for me to rationalize or handwave it off.

70 episodes in.

That might be a record for this particular Pokemon series. AG's first major foul was either the moment they introduced the Aqua/Magma subplot or some BS gym victory; odds are it's the former. Three points in DP could qualify as the first blunder that ticked me off: the moment Piplup's novelty personality wore off and became infinitely annoying (might've started with Like It or Lup It!), Kenny's debut, or the moment Aipom was traded to Dawn. BW pissed me off within the first few minutes of episode one. Pre-AG gets harder to remember, but since I hated most of Johto on principle it's likely something peeved me early on. Orange Islands started early dub-wise with all of the relentless Pokeshipping teasing Team Rocket did near the beginning of that arc. Indigo League, uhm. That's a wacky one to begin with, but the earliest thing that legit bugged me that I remember clearly enough was possibly Ash vs Lt. Surge. Not the battle itself, but I think that's where the idiotic notion that it's BAD to evolve your Pokemon started taking form.

What I'm getting at here is that every prior series did something to ruffle my feathers - be it on shoddy writing or just the principle of the plot element itself - did so well before the 70-episode mark. Can't count Battle Frontier because it's not even 70 episodes long --- errr actually, neither is OI, so those can be discarded. Everything else sticks.

tl;dr: I really, really hate that Goodra has gone the way of Pidgeot (if they did this like Gliscor then I'd be far more inclined to forgive and accept this episode). Not just because it's Ash's first fully-evolved Dragon and pseudo-legendary, but because I just friggin' love Goodra, both as a XY cast member and the species as a whole. The anime often denies me getting to see a main character catch a species I really, really like... and sometimes when they finally do, they don't handle it well and make the species look bad (see also: Ash's Torterra). So I was REALLY freaking elated when Ash caught Goomy and invested good time in developing its story and the XY anime made it so adorable and endearing. It even had Hydration for an ability, just like my Goodra in the games. ;_;

So while I REALLY loathe how this ended up and why anyone on the staff felt the need to axe Goodra from the cast so abruptly like this with no obvious reasoning for doing so... at the same time I'm impressed that it took XY this long to finally get me mad about its story direction. Granted, this is a PRETTY big blunder I'm gonna be sour over (as I do!), but if XY keeps consistently churning out a good story despite what happened this week - and I highly doubt the writing is going to suddenly indefinitely suck for the rest of the XY series - then I might be able to... MAYBE forgive this in time? I mean, I've come to accept this; what's done is done and all, but maybe in a year or two XY will keep entertaining me and make awesome things happen (as even without Goodra, Ash still has the makings of a great team in the near future... provided he gets something GOOD to fill his last two slots), and I'll look back on this episode and... well, probably won't laugh, but it's a good reminder that every Pokemon series makes mistakes and prone to some poorly-conceived story bits. I still think XY's a great series, but for the longest time part of me felt weird that until now, XY didn't do anything terribly offensive to me. I guess the best way to word it is that one day, I'll make peace with this tragic waste of potential and denying me any more Goodra screentime.

Really glad Clemont was able to shine in this; it's VERY rare that a main cast member catches on to Team Rocket shenanigans so early on, so whenever it happens I very much rejoice. Though I think it'd be even funnier if somehow Frogadier was in on this, considering back at the start of XY, Froakie was like THE only one who saw through Team Rocket disguises (and I dubbed it "smartest character in the entire series" then :p).

--haha wait, there were SEVIPERS in this episode. Oh man, Jessie. Whatever DID happen to your Seviper? Will we ever know?

(hahah this was all over the place so sorry if this is too off-topic to be here)

I don't think it made sense for Goodra to be released after only fifteen episodes. It honestly makes it seem like there wasn't much of a point in Ash having it in the first place. As for it never appearing again, well...... nothing's impossible. Don't argue about me being wrong about there being more than one possibility because based on what I've read here it would make a hell of a lot more sense than some of the other stuff that happened in this episode.

You know I honestly don't mind that Team Rocket were rampant in these two episodes, and this is from someone who hates seeing Team Rocket's needless inclusion into an episode.

The reason why I am fine in the case in these episodes, is because regardless of whether or not they were in these episodes it doesn't change that this storyline shouldn't have existed to begin with. Ash should have never captured a Pokemon that he wasn't going to travel the rest of the generation with (as in easy access, so Palpitoad for example wouldn't count since it was put in storage).

Honestly outside of Clemont and the gym battle, Serena would've been a much better candidate for this type of story line or even Clemont. These types of stories are always detrimental to Ash's team (well only if the Pokemon is released 1-40 episodes after capture and before Ash has a full team)

But the thing about these episodes in regards to Team Rocket, is that they weren't actually needless. If it wasn't for Team Rocket, these warring Pokemon would not find some kind of peace and perhaps tolerance to one another as it seems to be indicated. This type of conclusion would not have worked for a random poacher or someone we didn't know. At least we know Team Rocket and what they are capable of so therefore the type of conclusion that occurred actually made sense, because Team Rocket are known to manipulate and perhaps some of us hate it as a result. The same feeling couldn't be conveyed by some random person we didn't know.

So unlike others, I'm focusing on criticizing the actual story line of the wetlands as a needless inclusion just to have Ash release Goodra, not Team Rocket which likely even if they were excluded wouldn't change how I feel about these episodes, At least the writers gave a conclusion that actually made sense, I'll give them that, even if as I'm sure others would argue "It's been done to death" because like I said if this was happening with a random antagonistic force, it comes off as "why should I care? Why would Florges be manipulated by that force to begin with?", so unfortunately only Team Rocket could've pulled off their brand of manipulation so it would make sense for the conclusion that existed.

But otherwise, I can't say that I hated these two episodes BUT I do feel like they shouldn't have existed (to release Goodra).

Considering the fact that Numelgon was released in the wild with no sign of Kenzo... yeah, its not coming back for the league.

What are you talking about Kenzo was there when Ash released Kenzo (LOL I meant Goodra).

If you meant that Kenzo didn't offer to take care of Ash's Goodra as an implication of later sending Goodra to Ash then fine but he was there.

I can't say I'm surprised about Goodra's goodbye being indefinite. Anyone who was thinking Goodra would be able to be sent to Ash via Kenzo was grasping at straws at the inevitable. This Goodra story-line was definitely not a waste and was most likely planned to end like this the moment Goomy was suggested for Ash's team. It was a psuedo-legendary and i had a tough time believing this would actually stay on Ash's team for long. And before anyone mentions it, yes I know Iris had a Dragonite for a good part of BW, but let's face it, she needed a Dragon-type powerhouse since Axew probably couldn't cut it most of the time while Emolga and Excadrill.... didn't really further her goal to be a Dragon Master. There's also the fact that Ash's Charizard got brought back so what better way to re-hype up Generation One than having Iris have a Dragonite? I digress.

I mentioned this before but i really thought the series needed a new emotional release. We haven't had one in so long, and whether anyone admits it or not,it's usually the emotional releases that fans remember the most in the series. You can't blame this on bad writing since it was most likely planned to end like this right from the beginning and it will probably go down as one of the most memorable XY episodes. It was basically a "returning hero" story-line for Goodra as it returned to the wetlands to save it, that's a pretty well thought out plot if you ask me.

It's definitely sad to see Goomy go but that sadness shouldn't be converted into ideas that the writers did it all wrong releasing Goodra. This was an amazing and heartfelt episode and definitely one I will be remembering down the road. Goodbye Goodra!

Still,i think Goodra will be back as there was no clear evidence of permanent release+Kenzo.It can be like Squirtle, it can come for an episode or two to battle.

As far as I can see no one actually cares about the glaring plot holes? I thought a lot of people will be disappointed by that horrible writing like me. I guess I am nitpicking too much but the plot is still too horrible and in fact makes this episode so memorable as the worst XY episode for me.

I am neutral whether Goodra stays or leaves. As long as it does one thing right, giving out a good story. In this case most XY episode did incredibly well, some I even gave very high ratings. This episode on the other hand, is in the opposite end of the spectrum.

Still,i think Goodra will be back as there was no clear evidence of permanent release+Kenzo.It can be like Squirtle, it can come for an episode or two to battle.

I can see you dunno Japanese. I don't know much but I happen to understand a bit. Ash did not ask Goodra to stand by for him. Ash also did not ask Kenzo for help in transfer. Ash also didn't take any contact from Kenzo. Ash asked Goodra to leave him for its family. Goodra is NOT coming back, stop grasping on whatever straw that doesn't exist. You guys are horrible in accepting truth. But I guess you just read the summary and did not watch the episode.

I have seen too many comments clinging on an invisible straw in the previews and I thought when the episode airs it will end, apparently I am wrong.

For all we know their might be something more at play here .

I mean, executive meddling is a problem in so many shows and comic books, I highly doubt that it isn't a problem in Pokemon.

What I suspect is that, for some reason, the guys above the writers didn't want Ash to have a Goodra at all, but the writers insisted. So, we had this happen: Ash had a Goodra for a time, but were forced to scrap him quickly hence the odd story.

Is it possible?

Totally possible, but it could be the other way around, the guys above might have planned for the temporary ownership just for the Clemont Gym Battle.

Last edited:
For all we know their might be something more at play here .

I mean, executive meddling is a problem in so many shows and comic books, I highly doubt that it isn't a problem in Pokemon.

What I suspect is that, for some reason, the guys above the writers didn't want Ash to have a Goodra at all, but the writers insisted. So, we had this happen: Ash had a Goodra for a time, but were forced to scrap him quickly hence the odd story.

Is it possible?

Somehow, I knew that this was Goodra's Swan song episode and to be honest, I'm a little upset that it is. Is it really that necessary for all of Ash's Pokemon to be so small and for him not to have one as big as Goodra? I'm starting to get a little annoyed by all of his Pokemon being so small and mostly un-evolved.

Something tells me we're gonna see Goodra again. Learning a move the episode before than being released doesn't sit right with me

I don't wanna make a huge rant about this. I understand they were trying to go for a 'for the best' kinda thing, but why can't Ash just catch a break with his team for once? He had a friggin Goodra, which could have done him so much good in the League, and he lets it go. I know it was to protect its old home, but I feel like the writers just don't want Ash to be a Champion. They just wanna keep making him second-best to someone else. If they wanted to start the new regions with new Trainers just starting out at Level 1, don't keep using Ash! Just let it focus on anime counterparts of the protagonists of THOSE generations. I liked Goodra, and it hurts to see it go.

I thought this episode was okay. It definitely could have been better, but I was fine with it overall.

Okay, when Ash called out Fletchinder and Frogadier to battle in the beginning, I expected to see something other than Fletchinder being blasted out of the sky by a damn Pin Missile. Seriously, that was really disappointing. I did like when Clemont and Serena took over to battle the random bug-types, but I wish we could have seen more of that. At least we got to see Serena with Clemont and Ash with Bonnie for a while. So, typical of TR, they betrayed Florges and stole the Pokemon. Boring. I guess just having Florges herself as the main villain throughout this whole thing wasn't good enough:/ Seriously, I would have found it much more entertaining just to have Florges acting out on her own without it just being TR plotting to steal the group's Pokemon again.

I love how Florges just called over her Yanmega to fly her to TR's ship like a queen. And damn! Goodra Dragon Pulsing his way in the air was bad-ass! I was glad Ash commanded Goodra to use Ice Beam on TR; I would have been pissed if he learned a new move out of nowhere and only used it once. So TR blasts off, Goodra saves the day with Rain Dance, and Floette is healed. Yay!

And now for the feels. I thought it was really sweet that not only did Goodra embrace Ash in a hug as they both cried, but that Serena, Bonnie, and Dedenne cried as well. I'm especially glad that Dedenne gave Goodra a hug goodbye and cried for a while. However, despite that, I still feel that Goodra's release was pretty pointless. I mean, I guess its nice that Ash considered Goodra's happiness and his relationship with his friends before his own feelings. And clearly Goodra is happy remaining with his friends rather than staying with Ash since he did decide to stay. But still, it just feels like he didn't have to stay behind. Ugh...I dunno. I'm just really sad that he went through all of this just to leave. And in such a short time period. If anything, I hope they reference him later on in the future (I'd rather he return at some point, but I'm doubtful). The worst thing that could ever happen would be for him to be caught, stay for 15 episodes, and then be released with no mention ever again.

Well, now that that's done. Overall, it was a nice episode. I definitely preferred the previous part, but this was okay. I'll say 7/10.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom