• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY070: Conclusion! Numelgon, Somewhere Over the Rainbow!!

Honestly, I think the Goodra arc would have been more digestible if they empathized the fact that Goomy didn't leave its home on its own volition (getting blown sky high and landing on a Swanna's back and whatnot), and had Ash promise to bring it back home upon bringing it into the fold.

So just to make it clear, Team Rocket - who stalked Ash and co. throughout XY and were situated in Coumarine City when the wetland conflict began - somehow stole the healing water from the swamps? When did TRio have the opportunity to do any of this?

...Seems like I'm the only one around who knew from the beginning this was going to happen? I mean, no one explicitly mentioned it, but it was pretty clear since Goomy's debut that they'd have to return to rescue its friends sometime. I thought a clear chance of Goodra being released when said thing happened was to be expected, after seeing how fast it evolved and developed as a character in general. I really can't see the writers making a last-minute decision about this, considering in retrospect they were constantly building up to this point.

I have mixed feelings about this episode... I just can't say I disliked it. I'll also point out that they basically recycled a scene from the Genesect movie, and I think the flashbacks were too long compared to how short the actual farewell scene was. Personally, I wanted Clemont to shed at least a tear. Kenzo aside, everyone else cried there (except maybe Pikachu), and let's just say Clemont isn't the most bold or strong-willed character out there... though I admit that he was the one with least reasons to cry when compared to the others.

I figured out that Goodra is still injured. BUT Team Rocket forgot the fact that Ash has 3 other Pokemon than Pikachu and Goodra? Do they even STAND A FREAKING CHANCE? Idiocy on a whole another level. But Ash did forgot he has 3 other Pokemons..... Idiocy on rampage!
Ash called out two of his Pokémon to help. They were quickly attacked by Florges' group, in case you didn't notice. The only forgotten thing here is that Hawlucha exists.

Floette joining the hands of Florges and Goodra together. THAT SCENE. I dunno how to describe. WHAT EXACTLY did Ash saw? I don't understand. Maybe its the interaction between all 4 Pokemon (Goodra, Floette, Florges and Wooper) which made Ash consider releasing Goodra, but I dunno why I didn't feel that way.
Ash spent one day there watching Goodra reuniting with its friends, and he knew pretty much from the beginning that it used to live with others and all that stuff, even if vaguely when he first met Goomy. It's not just something he sees in one scene, it's something that has been implied for quite a while and simply comes to be fully understood here.

That you jump I jump scene. Sigh.. lost words to describe. I am shocked when Goodra jumped, but Ash jumped too? Is it even needed (where is your Fletcheinder)? Ash will jump ofcourse, but him catching up with the falling Goodra and Florges felt unbelievably fake and he truly accomplised nothing by doing so.
Goodra didn't jump, it fell as well, due to another explosion, in case you didn't notice. And again, Fletchinder was injured earlier and thus unable to fly. About Ash jumping, well, I'm aware this was not the reason he jumped, but he did manage to escape before that giant explosion blowing the ship, so it's not like he accomplished nothing anyway.

Still,i think Goodra will be back as there was no clear evidence of permanent release+Kenzo.It can be like Squirtle, it can come for an episode or two to battle.
I can see you dunno Japanese. I don't know much but I happen to understand a bit. Ash did not ask Goodra to stand by for him. Ash also did not ask Kenzo for help in transfer. Ash also didn't take any contact from Kenzo. Ash asked Goodra to leave him for its family. Goodra is NOT coming back, stop grasping on whatever straw that doesn't exist. You guys are horrible in accepting truth. But I guess you just read the summary and did not watch the episode.
That coming from someone who seems to have overlooked a couple of important stuff regarding Ash's other Pokémon and Goodra's "jump". I don't recall Ash asking Charizard to just stand by for him. He never mentioned anything about seeing Squirtle again when he left it with the squad. Though Ash said the typical "we'll see each other again" line, I didn't see McCann giving any contact information to Ash on-screen. Hell, Lapras was released without even staying with someone nor at any specific location, and still managed to return. You're just being too rude to anyone who doesn't share your pessimistic view of this episode.

Last edited:
So just to make it clear, Team Rocket - who stalked Ash and co. throughout XY and were situated in Coumarine City when the wetland conflict began - somehow stole the healing water from the swamps? When did TRio have the opportunity to do any of this?

Anime logic, that's when.

Guys, I just don't get it - why were the TRio stealing water?...

He had a friggin Goodra, which could have done him so much good in the League, and he lets it go.

Here's what I don't get... however far Satoshi gets in the league won't be determined by the Pokemon he brings with him. It'll be determined by the writing. Even if a couple of things had happened differently, like he kept the Spear he caught back in Johto or Shinji never released Hikozaru, the outcome would have still been the same. Hell, if the show followed game logic, Satoshi would have won the Sinnoh League while he would have bounced straight out of the Isshu League at the first round.

The worst thing that could ever happen would be for him to be caught, stay for 15 episodes, and then be released with no mention ever again.

The anime did it for Butterfree, Pidgeot, Lapras, Primeape, Larvitar, Haunter, Beedrill and Raticate. All were with Ash less than 20 episodes (except Pidgeot), none have ever been brought up again.

Guys, I just don't get it - why were the TRio stealing water?...

The sad part is, they've tried to do it before in Johto AND Sinnoh, I believe. They're recycling plots. Again.

They probably wanted to make money selling purified water. Evian water is extremely expensive in real life and is very successful, so this plan isn't exactly a bad one, either.

The anime did it for Butterfree, Pidgeot, Lapras, Primeape, Larvitar, Haunter, Beedrill and Raticate. All were with Ash less than 20 episodes (except Pidgeot), none have ever been brought up again.

Butterfree has been brought up a couple of times (once in Sinnoh when Musashi caught Megayanma and again in Decolore during the Butterfree episode), Laplace reappeared in late Johto and Satoshi never offically caught Ghost or Yogiras (who was always temporary).

You know, my issues with the reasoning behind-the-scenes aside, I thought the farewell scene was handled really well. I just wish all other Pokemon were given as nice a send off.

I just don't get it.

First off why have Ash catch a Pokemon just to release it sometime later, reminds me of Primeape, still never understood that (though at least Goodra was around longer and had some build up)

As others have said, TRio seem to be able to be in 2 places at once, causing the conflict in the swamp, while also following Ash and co around long before he got there.
It also leaves me wondering if Ash will even have 6 Pokemon by the time he gets to the league. He's only got 4 and we're 70 eps in.

Could he bring back all the old faithful (Charizard, Bulbasaur etc) in the league to tie in with Gen 1?

Butterfree was brought up again just recently in that BW Caterpie episode, Lapras had a whole reappearance in Johto, and Haunter was never truly captured. Beedrill and Raticate were owned for less than episode and were never really part of his team like Goodra was, so I don't really see how they can be compared. So I can only really agree with Primape and Larvitar, but even then, that still doesn't mean they can't do something different this time and have Ash or someone else actually mention Goodra for some reason.

He never officially owned Larvitar or Haunter. I agree with Pidgeot and Primeape. He still owns Primeape, yet NEVER mentions it again or even brings it to Oak. Beedrill or Raticate weren't really a part of his team like Goodra. Butterfree has been mentioned a few times and Lapras returned in Johto, but only for an episode.

Ash called out two of his Pokémon to help. They were quickly attacked by Florges' group, in case you didn't notice. The only forgotten thing here is that Hawlucha exists.

I didn't remember the other 2 being sent out at all. Clemont and Serena was the one distracting Florges' minions. I might have missed a few scenes as my Keyhole TV lags, but even if Ash had sent out Frogadier and Fletcheinder beforehand its still stupid to forget about Hawlucha.

Ash spent one day there watching Goodra reuniting with its friends, and he knew pretty much from the beginning that it used to live with others and all that stuff, even if vaguely when he first met Goomy. It's not just something he sees in one scene, it's something that has been implied for quite a while and simply comes to be fully understood here.

Soo, an argument without a stand point? It did not hit Ash in any way until this second? There were no scenes of Ash simply blank staring into Goodra interacting with its friends beforehand. With no real setup I call it horrible writing.

Goodra didn't jump, it fell as well, due to another explosion, in case you didn't notice. And again, Fletchinder was injured earlier and thus unable to fly. About Ash jumping, well, I'm aware this was not the reason he jumped, but he did manage to escape before that giant explosion blowing the ship, so it's not like he accomplished nothing anyway.

They didn't jump? OK, thanks for pointing out, since that only makes the whole episode worse. That scene don't even worth a penny now. Its suddenly like an unnecessary action sequence in some movies.

That coming from someone who seems to have overlooked a couple of important stuff regarding Ash's other Pokémon and Goodra's "jump". I don't recall Ash asking Charizard to just stand by for him. He never mentioned anything about seeing Squirtle again when he left it with the squad. Though Ash said the typical "we'll see each other again" line, I didn't see McCann giving any contact information to Ash on-screen. Hell, Lapras was released without even staying with someone nor at any specific location, and still managed to return. You're just being too rude to anyone who doesn't share your pessimistic view of this episode.

I watched it live, whatever lag makes me miss, I miss them. I can only rewatch to get the informations I missed. Me? Pessimistic? I DON'T GIVE A DAMN about Goodra's status. I DO CARE about SCRIPT! I suddenly realize so many people can let go of the plot holes, I guess thats why Transformers movies can sell their ticket. As for Goodra, you really want it to return? To be the living incarnation of a horribly written story? Fine, its your choice, definitely not mine.

And you basically dodged all the plot holes I pointed out which I think its because you failed to find any counter point. And with that knowledge you still called me out as 'pessimistic'. Good job well done. If you ever saw my other reviews I always rate them strictly on the plot. You made it seems like I hate the episodes where I gave 8/10 or above to most episodes. This episode is BAD, ofcourse I AM PESSIMISTIC. Is the idea of plot holes and horrible writing too hard to grasp?

Last edited:
From my perspective the only bad things about these episodes (69-70) is simply because the story exists in the first place.

Creating a back story, of a Pokemon Ash is forced to catch (as in the writers), just so it can be thrown away like garbage even if it does come back.

But the episodes themselves were fine by me, looking at it from a non biased perspective.

If we ignore that Goodra belonged to Ash, was only caught to get Ash his Voltage badge, released 15 episodes after capture, if we ignore all that, then I think these episodes get a 7/10 if I had to rate it.

But as a storyline in regards to the XY series as whole, then we're looking at a very generous 4/10 (trust me it would deserve the 3-3.5)

So my only problems with these episodes is SOLELY because they exist in the first place, having Ash release an overall meaningless/pointless Pokemon because clearly the writers/executive producers could not come up with a better way for Ash to overcome Clemont.

Laplace reappeared in late Johto.

Lapras had a whole reappearance in Johto.

I have to bring this up since it's been bugging me the moment I read these counter claims. Lapras is apart of a herd that travel the oceans freely with no limits, making it easier to write it back into an episode than Goodra, who is limited to the wetlands.

I have to bring this up since it's been bugging me the moment I read these counter claims. Lapras is apart of a herd that travel the oceans freely with no limits, making it easier to write it back into an episode than Goodra, who is limited to the wetlands.

I didn't say he had to come back (even though I really hope he does), I was just saying that I hope he would be mentioned at some point in the future.

I'm amazed at the posts above mine and the people that prefer a straightforward story rather than a story with twists.

So what if Ash released Goodra!? The story was good and Goomy didn't leave its home, it got taken away from it. These stories arethe things that make memorable moments in the anime. Do you remember all the major releases in the games? At least I do.

The writers planned that from the beginning. It was a story: Goomy's story of overcoming its fear of battling and mostly fairy types, at the end ending up friends with Florges; Ash's story of not giving up on a powerless Pokemon, training it, bringing it back to its friends and finally realising that it's for the better to leave it with its friends.

Also, unlike other first stage monsters Ash has caught, Goomy didn't show a lot of will to battle (it did sometimes, but it wasn't that much). Its main story was to grow up and stand up to the bullies and fight back rather than running away. It got more desire to battle when it finally knew it was strong enough.

To @Mareepy The anime does what is good for the story and the majority of viewers not for only one person!

I'm amazed at the posts above mine and the people that prefer a straightforward story rather than a story with twists.

So what if Ash released Goodra!? The story was good and Goomy didn't leave its home, it got taken away from it. These stories arethe things that make memorable moments in the anime. Do you remember all the major releases in the games? At least I do.

The writers planned that from the beginning. It was a story: Goomy's story of overcoming its fear of battling and mostly fairy types, at the end ending up friends with Florges; Ash's story of not giving up on a powerless Pokemon, training it, bringing it back to its friends and finally realising that it's for the better to leave it with its friends.

Also, unlike other first stage monsters Ash has caught, Goomy didn't show a lot of will to battle (it did sometimes, but it wasn't that much). Its main story was to grow up and stand up to the bullies and fight back rather than running away. It got more desire to battle when it finally knew it was strong enough.

To @Mareepy The anime does what is good for the story and the majority of viewers not for only one person!

So only I wanted logic? I thought majority of the viewers wanted logic! I am wrong then!

I would like to ask you, Ash knows Goodra is still injured, when Goodra took the attacks for Florges, would you like Ash to send out Hawlucha? I am sure I am not the only one.

If you get to choose, would you like Goodra to catch Florges and fell or just a random explosion send it down? (just checked it out, it was Goodra trying to save Florges, it just slipped and fell, Gabo 2oo misdirected me on this.)

If you get to choose, will you want Team Rocket to be even involved in this episode? You can actually believe that they manipulated the events including the unforeseen ones, like Goomy falling onto a Swanna as a result of an attack Florges itself chose to use, and then the Swanna dropped the Goomy at exactly the location of Ash just so their trap to capture Pikachu could work? And when did they even went to the swamp at the first place?

It could have been done way better. You are like only I wanted it to be better.

Thanks, I feel much better now, I am the only one striving for good episodes, I suddenly feel like I am superior to all others. No? Ofcourse not. I am just another person. Its just you guys did not care the anime as I do, as far as XY anime goes, I won't even settle for good episodes, I demand great.

And you made it look like I wanted the Anime to go the direction I liked. All my comment is saying I wanted it to go in any direction as long as it makes sense. Except you either did not read my comments completely or you did but chose to do something with a foul intent, like antagonizing me. I am not accusing you of anything, but only you know which it was.

I never said that Goodra overcoming the fear of Fairy Type, become stronger and go back the the swamp is a bad idea, I even applauded it in my other review threads. Its you that do not understand how much I care about the episodes.

Last edited:

It's not about having a straightforward story, it's about having a story that isn't detrimental to the XY series as a whole or to Ash's character.

We have seen the story of Ash releasing a Pokemon done to death even if it was in the first generation, so this type of story does not benefit the audiences at all.

There are quite a few reasons why this story failed even if releases were acceptable to begin with:

1. Goodra was released 15 episodes after capture. No matter how you look at it Goodra was utterly pointless to give to Ash to begin with.
2. Goodra's only purpose within the anime was to give Ash a voltage badge because the writers/executive producers clearly had no idea how to give Ash his 5th badge outside of giving him a POWERFUL temporary only Pokemon. Honestly Ash bringing back Gible or Torterra, would have served the same purpose as Goodra, and would've been better because we wouldn't have seen a release, but sure replace those two Pokemon with strong Ash Pokemon that resist electricity rather than be immune.
3. Ash did not have a full team at the time of release, Goodra was Ash's most recent capture, so after release we were dealt with the same "done to death" Pokemon prior to Goomy's capture, and it'll take EVEN LONGER for Ash to get a full team now that he has 4 Pokemon. I'm not looking for Ash's final team member to be caught after Olympia and probably would be lucky if it battled Wulfric, are you?
4. This happened in the MIDDLE series. If this happened AFTER the league, or Ash had Goodra for 40-50 episodes and contributed in other ways, I doubt it would receive as much negative reaction (from me at least)
5. Based on a September XY anime calendar, Ash is NOT going to have a fully evolved team member for another 5 months, and I'll be extremely surprised if Frogadier is the next to evolve (before Fletchinder), since it wasn't shown on that calendar but Fletchinder was. Which means his team is seriously lacking, and even with the probable Noibat, Ash's team is going to be severely nerfed power-wise. Greninja could still happen since it would serve a purpose against Olympia, but I'd be surprised to see Frogadier evolving before Fletchinder.
6. It was Ash who had this temporary Pokemon. Serena and Clemont would've served a much better purpose having a released Pokemon. Ash needs his Pokemon, he cannot afford as a league competitor to release powerful Pokemon and never compensate with another Pokemon until whenever the writers/executive producers feel like it?
7. Goodra returning home, was never that big of an issue, that I don't understand why Goodra had to be released at this very present. Goodra could've decided to travel with Ash until after the league and then be released. Which proves even more how pointless Goodra was to begin with, Goodra coming back to the league only illustrates that the writers KNOW they made a mistake, and are trying to fix it (too little too late however). So no, no matter how look at it, Goodra being released 15 episodes after capture is horrible awful writing.

The episodes themselves were fine like I said 7/10, but that's if you ignore everything about Goodra, and it being with Ash for only 15 episodes. Otherwise they are bad episodes in regards to the overall XY series, because at this point, just remove any instance of Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra and the series would not have changed at all. Sure there is the gym battle with Clemont, but outside of that instance which doesn't matter, Goodra's arc could be largely considered filler since it had literally no impact on the series outside of giving Ash his Voltage badge. Every other Kalos member contributed a lot more to Ash and I'm sure (Noibat) and his last slot will also contribute more to the series than Goodra did.

Coming from the perspective of someone totally apathetic towards the eventual fate of the mucous dragon, I have to say I agree with Mareepy - these episodes sucked. The story was totally nonsensical, the animation flat and I found the departure pretty lacking in emotional punch.

Butterfree has been brought up a couple of times (once in Sinnoh when Musashi caught Megayanma and again in Decolore during the Butterfree episode), Laplace reappeared in late Johto and Satoshi never offically caught Ghost or Yogiras (who was always temporary).

You know, my issues with the reasoning behind-the-scenes aside, I thought the farewell scene was handled really well. I just wish all other Pokemon were given as nice a send off.

Butterfree was brought up again just recently in that BW Caterpie episode, Lapras had a whole reappearance in Johto, and Haunter was never truly captured. Beedrill and Raticate were owned for less than episode and were never really part of his team like Goodra was, so I don't really see how they can be compared. So I can only really agree with Primape and Larvitar, but even then, that still doesn't mean they can't do something different this time and have Ash or someone else actually mention Goodra for some reason.

He never officially owned Larvitar or Haunter. I agree with Pidgeot and Primeape. He still owns Primeape, yet NEVER mentions it again or even brings it to Oak. Beedrill or Raticate weren't really a part of his team like Goodra. Butterfree has been mentioned a few times and Lapras returned in Johto, but only for an episode.

Both the Japanese and dub versions of Haunter Versus Kadabra have Sabrina and Ash both stating that he caught it. So I personally think he owned it, just caught it off-screen. And while he never caught Larvitar, it's definitely his, no doubt about that. They were extremely close and Spurt features it in the "released Pokémon" section.

But what I meant by most of his Pokémon never get brought up again is they show up once or twice after they leave (Lapras, Squirtle), he mentions them in passing (Pidgeot), or they're relegated to flashbacks/openings and/or endings (Butterfree, Primeape, Larvitar) but they never permanently return (like Charizard). Some Pokémon don't even get a mention after Ash gets rid of them. (Haunter, or in Ambipom's case, after Dawn gets rid of her)

The only Pokémon I could excuse this with are Raticate, since Ash had him for literally less than a day and traded him back to its original trainer for Butterfree, and Beedrill, since Ash gave it to Casey immediately after catching it. But every other Pokémon was with Ash for a relatively long time in the actual canon, even Haunter (I think the trip from Saffron to Lavender was two days? So the way back would also be two days?). It seems like a disservice to Ash as a trainer to not even smile fondly everytime he sees another member of a species he's caught, especially if it's one that he's released.

And I fear Goodra's going to be the same way.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom