• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY070: Conclusion! Numelgon, Somewhere Over the Rainbow!!

Me? Pessimistic? I DON'T GIVE A DAMN about Goodra's status. I DO CARE about SCRIPT! I suddenly realize so many people can let go of the plot holes, I guess thats why Transformers movies can sell their ticket. As for Goodra, you really want it to return? To be the living incarnation of a horribly written story? Fine, its your choice, definitely not mine.

And you basically dodged all the plot holes I pointed out which I think its because you failed to find any counter point. And with that knowledge you still called me out as 'pessimistic'. Good job well done. If you ever saw my other reviews I always rate them strictly on the plot. You made it seems like I hate the episodes where I gave 8/10 or above to most episodes. This episode is BAD, ofcourse I AM PESSIMISTIC. Is the idea of plot holes and horrible writing too hard to grasp?
I never said if I liked or not the idea of Goodra returning, I'm just saying it's not 100% impossible for it to return, and claiming it could come back is not grasping on unexistent straws. I didn't make any counter argument against the plot holes you pointed out simply because I don't disagree with them. Gee, it's not like I'm desesperately searching for ways to prove you wrong just because I feel like it or something, in fact I even said I was dissappointed with the jump scene. And I only said you had a pessimistic view of THIS EPISODE, I'm not even questioning why, that wasn't even the main point of my statement.

OK, moving away for a moment....this does still bring up something.

If Ash is now back to four Pokemon and if (whilst I'm reluctant to since I've refused to do so since we learnt about this episode) we assume Goodra isn't coming back....then what, or rather who, is going to fill up his team? There really aren't that many Pokemon left out there, after all, at least not from the 6th gen.

I'll write a review on this a bit later as I'm a bit stretched for time, but I will say I'm not particularly happy with this storyline. I will get into it more, but I feel that Goodra would've been better served if it stayed on the team for much longer then it did if it had to leave as it just makes the storyline seem a bit pointless.

If Ash is now back to four Pokemon and if (whilst I'm reluctant to since I've refused to do so since we learnt about this episode) we assume Goodra isn't coming back....then what, or rather who, is going to fill up his team? There really aren't that many Pokemon left out there, after all, at least not from the 6th gen.

Actually, we have 19 lines that still aren't owned by any of the main cast members (including Sylveon considering Eevee). So that's more then enough to give Ash his two, plus Clemont and Serena full teams if the writers really wanted to.

This episode (and the one before it, really) felt like the Best Wishes! Battle Subway episodes done right.

I've been trying to avoid comparing XY to Best Wishes! these past two years because that horse has long since been beaten to death but this time I think the comparison is apt. I won't get into the details here, but I was not a fan of the BW Battle Subway two-parter. For a trio of supposedly "competent" villains the BW Rocket trio was cartoonishly dumb.

Which is why I'm glad this episode fixed almost all the problems that two-parter had. Captured pokemon are restricted and not just free to roam around the inside of the vehicle as they please? Check. Captured goods kept in a part of the vehicle separate from the superpowered creatures they also captured? Check. Rocket trio figure out something's not going right and actually lift a finger to stop them, first by closing the shutters and then by engaging our heroes in a pokemon battle? Check. Things don't blow up in the Rocket trio's faces before Satoshi arrives on the scene? Check.

The Rocket trio was actually really competent here and I think that deserves some recognition.

ii kanji said:
Guys, I just don't get it - why were the TRio stealing water?...

It's mysterious healing water that has the potential to help sick pokemon (like Floette). They wanted to bottle it and sell it and make themselves rich.

Saucedo said:
As others have said, TRio seem to be able to be in 2 places at once, causing the conflict in the swamp, while also following Ash and co around long before he got there.

We don't know how much time has passed between the Mega Evolution episode in Hiun City and last week's episode in the wetlands. Days? Weeks?

The Rocket-Dan has also gotten ahead of our heroes plenty of times before with the Power Plant episode being the most recent example. They're not always following behind our heroes; sometimes they manage to get ahead.

Actually, we have 19 lines that still aren't owned by any of the main cast members (including Sylveon considering Eevee). So that's more then enough to give Ash his two, plus Clemont and Serena full teams if the writers really wanted to.

Valid point there, but my concern is, how many of those have set to be seen by our heroes? Typically, at least from what I've seen, a Pokemon is caught by Ash, at the very least, the moment it makes its on-screen non-cameo debut.

Valid point there, but my concern is, how many of those have set to be seen by our heroes?
Only five base-stage species have to be encountered: Litleo, Honedge, Binacle, Phantump and Bergmite. The most likely candidates for Ash are Honedge, Phantump and Bergmite.

To be fair, while it is extremely likely for Ash's next two team members to be Kalos-native Pokémon, it isn't a sure thing. Don't forget the anomaly that is Aipom (a Johto Pokémon) being caught by Ash in Kanto while in the middle of the third Generation (Hoenn) anime. And for the XY anime itself, look at Clemont. Both a Luxray and a Magneton are under his control, neither of which is Generation 6 and only one of which is available outside of Kiloude City.

I personally think that his next two spots will be filled by either that darn Dunsparce he's been trying to catch for five years now (and then it'll get a Mega which will make it OP in the anime, and slightly useable in the game) and an Aegislash, Pyroar♂, or something completely random... like a Castform.

To be fair, while it is extremely likely for Ash's next two team members to be Kalos-native Pokémon, it isn't a sure thing. Don't forget the anomaly that is Aipom (a Johto Pokémon) being caught by Ash in Kanto while in the middle of the third Generation (Hoenn) anime. And for the XY anime itself, look at Clemont. Both a Luxray and a Magneton are under his control, neither of which is Generation 6 and only one of which is available outside of Kiloude City.

I personally think that his next two spots will be filled by either that darn Dunsparce he's been trying to catch for five years now (and then it'll get a Mega which will make it OP in the anime, and slightly useable in the game) and an Aegislash, Pyroar♂, or something completely random... like a Castform.

Aipom had a next generation evolution, even though it was only used to show a permanent trade between Ash and another traveling companion.

It's not fair to compare Ash's traveling companions with him since Clemont already had the only 2 electric lines that Kalos offered, and if the writers were insistent they give him a powerful electric type they had to go outside of generation 6. Secondly I'm ignoring Magneton because he had one in the games, and on top of that Magneton was barely used and wasn't used against any gym challenger.

Ash is and will always be different, they can give him past generation Pokemon, that I will admit is a possibility but it shouldn't be a likely possibility given that Ash never genuinely caught a generation temporary Pokemon irrelevant to the generation he caught it in. He never caught a Bellsprout in the the 3rd generation early in the series and fully evolved into Victreebel by the end (for example). Most past generation Ash caught was relating to a generation or was caught too late to matter.

So odds are, unless its a mega evolution Pokemon, Ash's last two slots are more than likely 6th generation Pokemon.

This was a great episode. Goodra's departure was sad, but understandable. I don't really want them to come back, because that would go against the point of them leaving in the first place. Plus, as cute as they are, Ash having a pseudo-legendary always irked me. Goodbye, Goodra.

It was nice seeing the TRio being actually evil and despicable, but I grew tired of them a long time ago. I truly can't wait for Team Flare to be introduced in the anime, but knowing this show, they will likely be poorly handled anyways.

Lastly, when Ash fell down with the other Pokémon, I could swear Serena was going to hug him there. Even though I was never a fan of Serena and her crush on Ash, that was a real cute scene.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom