• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY072: The Scary House's Hospitality!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Episode page here

I missed the first 10 minute, and I failed to hear a lot of the conversation due to horrible internet. So I think I got to rewatch this one eventually.

It was a Bonnie episode, I am totally ready for an emotional episode, so the existence of a story behind the haunted mansion is kinda expected.

Edit: Just took a look at the page, its a Clemont focus. Well I guess thats why he is the one finding the others when they are all missing. But I thought episode like these will go to Bonnie.

It was a ghost house episode, so Serena freaking everyone out with crazy stories is expected. And she did do it well. Clemont's invention actually half worked this time, as they finally revealed the 3 Ghost Pokemons.

Why I didn't elaborate on the story and why the machine only half worked? The story is 50% because I can't understand all of them and I missed the fist 10 minute. The other 50% is... the same reason I describe the invention as half worked.

SURPRISE EVERYONE! THE OLD MAN IS A GHOST TOO. THANKS TO BONNIE WHO NOTICED THE DATE OF THE PHOTO.

I gotta say, I am prepared for an emotional episode but this ending gave me creeps. For one second I am in WTF mode and then the next second I find my self taking a deep breath with eyes wide open and then talking to myself 'Well, that was shocking...' I totally wasn't ready for this plot twist in a Pokemon episode. But I don't understand who locked them in that room. Gengar, Haunter, Gasly and the Old Man are all in the room right?

As for Team Rocket... well, they better got heart attack and has to stay at hospital for a few episodes. I don't want them anywhere near they Gym episodes to interrupt them.

Last edited:
This is like part 2 of the Espurr episode except it deals with actual Ghost Pokemon this time around. I think I saw the ghost sprite from the Gen 1 game as a ghost for this episode. Maybe it's my imagination.

I think this is the second time that Clemont's invention did not explode. Maybe it's a Clemont focused episode and the writers wanted to be nice to him for once. I think what Clemont said to Bonnie after they reunited was so cute. He was being brave for his cute little sister.

I like how Bonnie is fearless while everyone else is so antsy--just like the Espurr episode. I did not really expect the man to be a ghost in the end. It's a nice twist. I also like how they left the mansion unknowingly in the end. It seems that only Bonnie remembered the events and even got a picture with ghosts.

The ghost man reminds me of the Lumiose City Ghost Girl...I don't know why.

Also, I was chuckling at Team Rocket in the end since they're the biggest scaredy-cats in the series.

Overall, 7/10.

I was never that excited for this episode, but I ended up really enjoying it.

I loved how Clemont was clinging to Bonnie in fear while she as usual isn't scared. Lol, I don't know why, but I found that towel nuzzling scene so cute. Omg, did the gang really not think it was weird that the scary house man just so happened to have a meal for 4 already prepared. Lol, that would creep me out.

Lol, I died laughing when Clemont fell over when the dude was telling his story. It was even funnier when Bonnie was just listening normally and happy. And then again when he fell over the couch. Aw man, Clemont was hilarious. Damn Bonnie, running after and jumping on Clemont's possessed machine was awesome.

WTF, when and how the hell did Bonnie leave the room with no one (including me) noticing. Especially since she was standing in the front? Wow, I was surprised when Clemont only mentioned Pikachu after he and Ash vanished. I mean, I know Serena already mentioned Ash, but I thought they both would. I could believe Bonnie would do that since she has before, but not Clemont. Just something I found interesting. More interesting than Ash disappearing apparently:) I liked how Clemont was the "hero" this time around having to find everyone.

I'll never understand how Frubbles made the door easier to open. I did love Bonnie jumping into Clemont's arms to hug him though. That was adorable. Damn, if that picture was taken that long ago, how old is the dude? Unless he's a...oh sh*t.

Lol, at Bonnie taking a picture with the dude and his ghosts. Anyway, nice episode. I loved the focus on Clemont and Bonnie and especially the lack of TR. I'll say 8.7/10.

Did Citron basically just invent the Silph Scope? :p

It's always great to see the quirks of the main character which this episode demonstrated perfectly. Thumbs up especially for Citron & Eureka's relationship <3 I found the narrative itself kind of bitty though, I just wasn't able to relax & follow the episode.

What did Satoshi exactly say about the date? Was it that it was >200yrs ago because if so that is such a troll!!!!!

F----ck D':

Here I was, actually having pretty high expectations for once due to being a sucker for fillers that contain loads of fun group interactions, and then this is what I get. This... was incredibly dull.

I blame the preview that actually got me a lil' hyped, it made me think we'd being getting something similiar to the Litwick mansion, because THAT was an incredibly well done ghost-house episode, but alas... this was mostly just boring dialogue that I couldn't care less for. And here I thought we covered that with the Espurr-story.

The piano scene was at the very least somewhat entertaining, but that was probably just due to that awesome soundtrack from Serena's showcase playing. I really wish we got to see more of Gastly, Haunter and Gengar, they really were surprisingly passive for most part of the episode.

EDIT: I forgot!! The Clemont/Bonnie reunion scene was super adorable!! Still, suckish episode.

Yet another opportunity for Clemont to utilize Luxray's x-ray vision gone to waste...

I know, right? Rather than using an age-old cliche, they could've tried to keep the Clemont focus but tried something new!

Overall, I think that this episode was very well written. It's just that bit at the end that doesn't really make sense. I can get that Bonnie worked with Cole to scare everyone, but what did they do with the gang THEN? Throw them out the window!?!

Also, Team Rocket were awesome. That segment at the end was hilarious!

So, there's my judgement. In all, I'd say 8.5/10

Ise Mariya and the key animation for Eureka were the real heroes of the episode. Ise is insatiably good playing cute but when mixed with some good faces from the key animators Eureka is without a doubt the best character in the series. Those faces of skepticism and superiority from Eureka could save any number of episodes from being bad.

Clermont invented the Sliph Scope Nano, it seems.

Also, I get the feeling that Bonnie will tend to go for Fairy, Ghost, Psychic and Dark types if she becomes a Pokemon trainer.

I agree, she was like "I wanna play with the ghosts!" and "What happened next in the story?" Bonnie was hilarious here, being completely unafraid of anything that was happening while everyone else was freaked out. And Serena's quirk of blurting out scary thoughts before realizing what she was saying made a return, which was funny.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom