• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY074: Kunoe Gym Battle! The Beautiful Fairy Trap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in the preview, according to me, if Ash is going to win the badge/match, Hawlucha will be the one winning the match, cause the match-ups show this
1. Sylveon vs Fletchinder --- Fetchinder wins
2. Spritzee vs Fletchinder --- Spritzee wins
3. Spritzee vs Hawlucha --- Hawlucha wins (maybe)

so yeah it's Hawlucha this time winning the match

This looks like it'll be good. I'm surprised to see Ash using Hawlucha yet again in a gym battle where he has a disadvantage (even though he was pretty even against Heliolisk). I unfortunately don't see him doing too well with his type and current moves. I personally would have preferred Frogaider, but anyone instead of Pikachu is good. I'd love to see Fletchinder sweep and it seems plausible with his Fairy resistance and everything:)

Hawlucha again?! This is Hawlucha's fourth gym battle in a row. I know Ash has a very limited pool of Pokémon to choose from, but why did the writers opt for this three-trick pony over Frogadier?

Hawlucha hasn't learned a single new move since it was captured, and its current move-pool really leaves much to be desired. It knows a close-ranged chop, a close-ranged kick, and a dive from the air. There's not much in the way of versatility, if you ask me. At least Frogadier's moves aren't all close-range and the same type.

It's such a shame that, after coming out of two really great gym battles (with the last one being one of my personal favorites out of any series), that we have such a disappointingly average one next. Not only is Hawlucha used for the umpteenth time, but Ash's other choice in this match is barely any better. Fletchinder had plenty of gym battles under its belt as well; this is the Pokémon's third gym battle in the Fletchinder stage. Hopefully it doesn't spam Flame Charge or Steel Wing during the entire fight.

Hopefully Ash doesn't use either of those birds in the Anistar Gym Battle.

Hawlucha again?! This is Hawlucha's fourth gym battle in a row.

Did you forget about Fletchling/Fletchinder?

I mean sure, Frogadier would've been preferred but this is arguably the last gym Hawlucha can appear in by type disadvantage.

Against Olympia or Wulfric? Of type disadvantage, Valerie was probably the best last choice for Hawlucha, even if it its fighting type moves would be super effective against Wulfric, but remember Ash doesn't have a lot of choices, so of course Pikachu and "Talonflame" are shoe-ins for Wulfric but Hawlucha as well?

Frogadier/Greninja can still battle against Olympia and Wulfric.

I mean sure, Frogadier would've been preferred but this is arguably the last gym Hawlucha can appear in by type disadvantage.

Against Olympia or Wulfric? Of type disadvantage, Valerie was probably the best last choice for Hawlucha, even if it its fighting type moves would be super effective against Wulfric,
You do realize that Fairy is super effective against Fighting, right?

Did you forget about Fletchling/Fletchinder?

I made a similar complaint towards Fletchinder further down in my earlier post. Even though Fletchinder was also used in four gym battles in a row, at least it was a Fletchling during two of those times, and it actually learned a new move in between. Hawlucha still has the three moves from when it debuted nearly 40 episodes ago.

Hawlucha has a type disadvantage in the last two gyms as well. Psychic- and Ice-type moves hit it super-effectively. But then again, Ash doesn't pick his Pokémon for gym battles based on type compatibility.

Frogadier/Greninja can still battle against Olympia and Wulfric.

We'll see. We know that the Olympia battle will be a double battle, and Pikachu will most likely be involved in that battle since he is sitting this one out. That leaves just one spot. As for Wulfric, two of those slots are fair game, since Pikachu has been used in every final gym battle thus far.

It's hard enough to see Noibat standing out with the likely evolutions of Frogadier and Fletchinder. I don't see what a sixth capture would really add.

Considering that for a while we were worried Hawlucha was just going to be the "Torkoal" of the group, I'm actually glad he's getting this time to shine a bit, especially if he stars considering he hasn't had that big moment yet.

Anyway, my biggest problem with this gym is that it's a 2-on-2 despite the fact that Valerie has 4 Pokémon to choose from, which seems off to me. While this would've been hard to follow Clemont hype-wise, I don't think shortening her team to 2 Pokémon and using a gimmick (while an interesting one) was the best choice, it would've been better to keep it 3-on-3 and have Frogadier show up here.

Against Olympia or Wulfric? Of type disadvantage, Valerie was probably the best last choice for Hawlucha, even if it its fighting type moves would be super effective against Wulfric,
You do realize that Fairy is super effective against Fighting, right?

Did you not get that from "type disadvantage?"

Hawlucha is weak to all three of the final gyms. Considering its confirmed for Valerie its appearance against Olympia or even Wulfric is unlikely because of the likely guaranteed other Pokemon that will show up in those battles, so of course of the three gyms it is weak against, Valerie was probably for the writers the best and last choice, since it is seems as if against Wulfric there would be OTHER Pokemon to be used, I don't think Hawlucha would've been helpful against Olympia, so that kind of left Valerie, because this is most likely Hawlucha's LAST gym.

Did you not get that from "type disadvantage?".
It's silly to even mention type disadvantage if the real reason you think Hawlucha is being used now is that "it wouldn't be helpful against Olympia" or "there will be other Pokémon to use against Wulfric". Anyway, I don't see how Hawlucha is more helpful against Spritzee than Meowstic, but we shouldn't pretend that the writers have a good reason for every decision.

Tomioka Atsuhiro is writing this episode. Tomioka is in charge of series composition, meaning he is basically the 'head writer'. He works with the series director and chief director to help develop the plot. Tomioka is also the same man who wrote nearly all of the important episodes of Diamond & Pearl, including the creation of the strategies one cannot use the in games. He knows how to make a battle interesting.

Hawlucha could learn a new move. Like poison jab? Just thinking of the arsenal.

Did you not get that from "type disadvantage?".
It's silly to even mention type disadvantage if the real reason you think Hawlucha is being used now is that "it wouldn't be helpful against Olympia" or "there will be other Pokémon to use against Wulfric". Anyway, I don't see how Hawlucha is more helpful against Spritzee than Meowstic, but we shouldn't pretend that the writers have a good reason for every decision.

Unless Olympia has 4 Pokemon and it's basically a double battle using four Pokemon, then I can't imagine why if Pikachu is the other one, that it would be Pikachu and Hawlucha vs the two Meowstic, when there are clearly better options.'

Same with Wulfric, there are just BETTER options, Fletchinder neutral and can deal super effective damage, Frogadier is resistant, Pikachu neutral and super effective (iron tail), Hawlucha is weak and super effective, so why choose it?

If Hawlucha was NOT against Valerie then yes I can see it being used against Wulfric, but it seems pretty clear Hawlucha is being used here because it is it's last gym that it will partake.

Maybe hindsight has skewed my logic a bit, but it does make sense.

Frogadier probably wasn't used because he's supossed to be Treecko's rival, so he had to participate in the two Shota battles. Chances are that in the three battles happening in XY73, 74 and 75 Frogadier, Hawlucha and Fletchinder participate in two while Pikachu participates in one. And it's 2 vs 2 because of the same reason, Frogadier can't appear in 3 battles and Pikachu can't be the fall guy again.

I have a feeling Ash will lose here due to his inexperience with the Fairy Type.

Valerie is not using Mawile and Mr. Mime? That is a shame. Mawile never had a proper battle in the series (and Mega Mawile vs. Mega Lucario was really short)

Valerie is not using Mawile and Mr. Mime? That is a shame. Mawile never had a proper battle in the series (and Mega Mawile vs. Mega Lucario was really short)

You never know. You see, if Ash does lose, there's space for another Pokemon for Valerie. That could be one of those two.

Second preview.
[video=youtube;QyknrkpZVj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyknrkpZVj8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom