• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY074: Kunoe Gym Battle! The Beautiful Fairy Trap!!

I found it interesting that the Trick Room barrier was both visible at all times, and with a checkers board design, and tangible, allowing Hawlucha to shatter it with a powerful blow, because that wasn't the case for Conway's Dusknoir's Trick Room in the Sinnoh League. But that's fine with me, really. Really good gym battle, all around, despite Hawlucha's learning a new move that it apparently learned off-screen. But Hawlucha at least has the battle experience to have earned that much.

I must also confess something: I did not realize this a 2 vs. 2 gym battle... until it was over. :sweatlol:

I think the reason why X-Scissor was able to shatter it is because Bug is super effective against Psychic. Ash never tried to shatter the Trick Room back during the Sinnoh League and he didn't have a Pokemon in that battle with a move that was effective against Psychic types.

I think the reason why X-Scissor was able to shatter it is because Bug is super effective against Psychic. Ash never tried to shatter the Trick Room back during the Sinnoh League and he didn't have a Pokemon in that battle with a move that was effective against Psychic types.
But we know that the Trick Room in the league wasn't solid, because Gible launched Dusclops beyond the boundary with Draco Meteor. That wasn't the case here. In this case, Trick Room acted as a solid wall that sealed the Pokémon within but could be shattered with a powerful enough strike. I rather doubt that the move's type had anything to do with that, though.

But we know that the Trick Room in the league wasn't solid, because Gible launched Dusclops beyond the boundary with Draco Meteor. That wasn't the case here. In this case, Trick Room acted as a solid wall that sealed the Pokémon within but could be shattered with a powerful enough strike. I rather doubt that the move's type had anything to do with that, though.

I don't speak Japanese, so I could be wrong.

But picking up on a few key words (specific mention of X-scissor and Trick Room's typing), and my interpretation of the scene and tone, that was exactly WHY Trick Room failed, because the bug type X-scissor disrupted the psychic type energies of Trick Room causing it to shatter.

Why Trick Room in Diamond/Pearl was not like trick room now, could be for a few various reasons.

1a. Trick Room was weird in 4th generation, you didn't know it was active, until a Pokemon was sent out or it was used, so I think that maybe Dusknoir wasn't sent out of Trick Room, since we never saw Dusknoir, visibly going through trick room, we only believe that Dusknoir went through it, perhaps Dusknoir wasn't sent beyond trick room. Perhaps the reason Draco Meteor looked like it went through the boundaries, is because the animators were being careful and didn't want trick room to look unsightly, and it looked smaller than it was.

1b. Considering we never saw it fail, and I doubt it was tied to the user, we'd have to assume trick room is still in effect, even to this day, but ignoring that, for all we know it could've failed right at that moment allowing Draco Meteor to pass through it.

2. It was the first time they used it. Maybe they realized it made no sense for it to be a mostly invisible barrier, and they actually made it to an actual solid room in 6th generation.

It wasn't a Black and White thing of Pokemon learn move off scream, Pokemon like some of Ash's Pokemon from the older series did it alot too so you don't have to complain about that. Bulbasaur learning Sleep power in Misty Meet her Macth, Charizard Seismic toss in Volcano panic, Totodile Slash, Phanpy knowing Earthquake during the leauge. I know my points are from season 1 2 3 and 5, but Pokemon did this before. Also Clian did the same thing with his Pokemon so what is the big deal here

It could be that Hawlucha knew X-Scissor all along, or learned it at some point much earlier (after encountering that Trevenant that it couldn't even touch, no doubt) and just never used it on-screen until now. Yes I know it battled Clemont's Heliolisk, but its Fighting moves were supereffective on it anyway so it had no need to use X-Scissor then. Ash didn't teach Hawlucha X-Scissor specifically because of Trick Room, as someone seemed to suggest earlier in this thread. He even said before they started battling Spritzee that they didn't know what its other moves were besides Dazzling Gleam. Not only that, we didn't see the entire battle between Ash and Shota in the last episode, because it was still going on while the focus was briefly on Serena and Bonnie. Hawlucha could easily have learned or used X-Scissor then.

I have mixed feelings over this gym battle. First, it is the sixth gym battle, there's no excuse to make Valerie use only two Pokémon and unevolved one, at that. She should have used her in-game team (Mr. Mime, Mawile, Sylveon) or at least, Sylveon with Aromatisse instead of Spritzee.

Second, the episode was a bit ugly. The animation wasn't that great, the drawings were filler-episode tier, etc. Just compare how amazing the movements and animation were in the Clemont gym match to how lame they were in this one. And the choice of music could have been better, too.

Third, Fletchinder is so boring. :/

On the bright side, at least Ash haven't forgot about Trick Room. For a moment I thought the writers made him forget about previous experiences again, but thankfully that wasn't the case. And finally seeing Hawlucha shinning in a gym battle was great as well.

So what if her team was different? Anime Gym Leaders often have different teams than their in-game counterparts.

Decent episode, I'd give the battle a 6/10 on Valerie's side and 8/10 on Ash' lol. Meaning, Valerie was just lackluster... was not interested at all, especially with that Spritzee... Trick Room was interesting to see take place, because I don't think it's happened to Ash ever before since the Sinnoh league.

THIS evidently, was what made Ash shine in the episode, I loved the way he used Fletchinder (boring as it is), to continuously gain speed, and then SMACK when the Trick Room faded. Still, my greatest hope is to have longer gym battles, and rival battles too... similar to Sinnoh in some respects.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom