• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY075: Three-Match Rival Battle! Towards the Future!!

I don't know why people wanted Scottie to win. The battle clearly shows who is has the more experience and better battler.

Ash already having 6 badges while Scottie only has one. The skill gap is much too wide for Shota to defeat even one of Ash's pokemon.

Overall a very good episode and looking forward to Shota's development when he reappears again.

Team Rocket battle is short, which is a positive thing, and they brought the comedic element they should, well done! What make them think the notebook belongs to Steven and what make them think returning the notebook to him will benefit them like how they fantasized? Its too Farfetch'd (and funny).

The notebook had Steven's autograph, which convinced them it was Steven's. That being said, I found all the Steven fantasy to be rather hilarious here. Jessie imagining getting married to Steven LOL I was nearly crying with laughter because of the sudden high-quality bishie sparkles whenever Steven appeared. Very true to the games indeed XD He's supposed to be an all-powerful champion but I kept getting idol vibes.

The flashback with Shota and Steven was a direct reference to the games where Steven gives the Starter Mega Stone to the player character. I was impressed. Ash's reaction to Sceptile having a Mega Evolution looks like a promising hint that his own Sceptile might be the one to mega evolve.

Team Rocket battle is short, which is a positive thing, and they brought the comedic element they should, well done! What make them think the notebook belongs to Steven and what make them think returning the notebook to him will benefit them like how they fantasized? Its too Farfetch'd (and funny).

The notebook had Steven's autograph, which convinced them it was Steven's. That being said, I found all the Steven fantasy to be rather hilarious here. Jessie imagining getting married to Steven LOL I was nearly crying with laughter because of the sudden high-quality bishie sparkles whenever Steven appeared. Very true to the games indeed XD He's supposed to be an all-powerful champion but I kept getting idol vibes.

The flashback with Shota and Steven was a direct reference to the games where Steven gives the Starter Mega Stone to the player character. I was impressed. Ash's reaction to Sceptile having a Mega Evolution looks like a promising hint that his own Sceptile might be the one to mega evolve.

The thing is, I remember them reading something about Steven in the notebook (I could be wrong though, need rewatch to check), won't it be strange that he uses third person view to describe himself?

I checked, they read all the way to where Sceptile can Mega Evolve, that means its after Shota met Steven, how can this not written in the book? 'I met Steven' would be enough for anyone to be clear that the notebook does not belong to Steven. So I still doesn't understand. The only logical explanation is that Team Rocket don't read every sentence and skips pages.

Last edited:

The thing is, I remember them reading something about Steven in the notebook (I could be wrong though, need rewatch to check), won't it be strange that he uses third person view to describe himself?

From what I can understand, James was reading through the notebook and found a reference to Sceptile having a Mega Evolution or something and stated "As expected from the Champion!". There weren't really any notes on Steven himself, I think.

From what I can understand, James was reading through the notebook and found a reference to Sceptile having a Mega Evolution or something and stated "As expected from the Champion!". There weren't really any notes on Steven himself, I think.

But I don't think Shota will miss writing down such an event as meeting Steven and what advise he gave him (the advice in the flash back). And the fact that Sceptile can Mega Evolve was told to Shota by Steven, it should be just a few lines behind the event Shota met Steven.

So yeah, I think James is skipping lines while reading.

But I don't think Shota will miss writing down such an event as meeting Steven and what advise he gave him (the advice in the flash back). And the fact that Sceptile can Mega Evolve was told to Shota by Steven, it should be just a few lines behind the event Shota met Steven.

So yeah, I think James is skipping lines while reading.

The advice in the flashback wasn't really advice. Steven said the exact same thing he says to the player character in ORAS on the Kecleon bridge - "I like trainers who try their best, that's why I like you". I guess James probably skipped lines while reading, but yeah.

By the way... I really want that notebook. AND that picture.

tumblr_npgqhsHV5v1sq60lvo3_1280.png

Last edited:
I don't know why people wanted Scottie to win. The battle clearly shows who is has the more experience and better battler.

Ash already having 6 badges while Scottie only has one. The skill gap is much too wide for Shota to defeat even one of Ash's pokemon.

Overall a very good episode and looking forward to Shota's development when he reappears again.

I think its because he's lost so many on screen battles. This is his 4th on screen loss and it kinda makes me feel bad fr Scottie. He's the rival who's not an asshole, so for me, it makes him likeable in a way. He's just a rookie who wants to get stronger and it seems he kinda looks up to Ash? We've seen rookie trainers before, but they were inexplicably strong, like Trip. Scottie to me is a rookie done right. I honestly just wanted to see him get one small victory by defeating at least one of Ash's Pokemon.

I think its because he's lost so many on screen battles. This is his 4th on screen loss and it kinda makes me feel bad fr Scottie. He's the rival who's not an asshole, so for me, it makes him likeable in a way. He's just a rookie who wants to get stronger and it seems he kinda looks up to Ash? We've seen rookie trainers before, but they were inexplicably strong, like Trip. Scottie to me is a rookie done right. I honestly just wanted to see him get one small victory by defeating at least one of Ash's Pokemon.

Besides, true power levels are so tuned to "as strong as the plot demands" that it really isn't unreasonable to expect Shota to score at least one win on Ash, six badges or not.

If you honestly think that Scottie getting a mega evolved Sceptile is comparable to Ash becoming a Pokemon Master I can't take your argument seriously.
.Etc
Ok, ok this is clearly something you feel very strongly about and I appreciate your passion. My comments were my lowly opinion only. I can comment only on what I've seen, and what I've seen is a bunch of elite level trainers doing mega evolutions, but you're right this does not preclude toddlers from doing it too. Que sera sera.

If you honestly think that Scottie getting a mega evolved Sceptile is comparable to Ash becoming a Pokemon Master I can't take your argument seriously.
.Etc
Ok, ok this is clearly something you feel very strongly about and I appreciate your passion. My comments were my lowly opinion only. I can comment only on what I've seen, and what I've seen is a bunch of elite level trainers doing mega evolutions, but you're right this does not preclude toddlers from doing it too. Que sera sera.

I just didn't understand. Ash not having a mega evolution could just be the executive producers allowing the show to be lazy and not focusing on Ash, Keystone, and mega stone, and mega evolved Pokemon.

We can pretty much guarantee that Scottie will indeed end up having a Sceptile, since he only has 1 badge, and he already has a Grovyle, but this Treecko/Grovyle wanted to mega evolve as well, so I can't see why Scottie won't have a mega evolved Sceptile, just simply because he's not a decent or skilled trainer or because possibly Ash will never have one.

Especially since they mentioned that Scottie wanted to have a mega evolved Sceptile in the first place. That would be kind of like Ash saying he wants to beat the next gym, but always fails to do so.

Besides, true power levels are so tuned to "as strong as the plot demands" that it really isn't unreasonable to expect Shota to score at least one win on Ash, six badges or not.

The only one Scottie had any chance of beating was Hawlucha and he screwed it up by trying to look at his notes. So I don't know what people expected, I for one would have been very upset if Grovyle beat Frogadier just because of type advantage.

Ash has had Frogadier for at least 3 gyms now, it should be strong enough to take on a freshly evolved Grovyle, especially when the badge difference between trainers is 5 in favor of Frogadier's trainer. I think I'd more question on how Treecko was able to survive an aerial ace (and other attacks), when it lost to a lowly cut a few episodes previously.

I decided to voice out my opinion too. Its not skill gap or anything, its battle style. Shota's battle style is directly countered by Ash's.

Shota specializes in pre-planned tactics with clear cut instruction (even movements) while Ash specializes in ever-changing battlefield and tactics, which Ash can make every battle into an ever-changing battlefield, it should not be any surprise Shota got swept here and why would anyone think he should have won one?

This is by battle style alone and I am not accounting that Shota is a newbie yet. If Shota wants to even beat one of Ash's Pokemon, he has to change his battle style. (So you guys want Ash to lose a Pokemon to a newbie..... right? Oh wait they did it before.... who is this so hated rival.. hmmmmm.... Speak about double standard. Ash technically only lose one Pokemon to Trip, so yeah, you guys are definitely up to double standard.)

Yes, I used small font for the sarcasm, I hate Trip, thats why I am satisfied with Ash sweeping Shota. Think of your thought process. Ash what went through 4 regions and Pikachu who is shocked by Reshiram unfortunately is beaten by a kid that just got his starter (Booooo thats horrible writing). Ash who went through 5 regions and already got his 6th badge swept a kid who started out his first journey and only has one single badge (Boooo, he should have won one).

About Shota and Mega Sceptile, my answer is yes, it will happen. There is only one requirement for it beside the physical ones being Sceptilite and Key Stone (and he is seeking for those), that is stong bond of the Trainer and Pokemon.

Bond between Shota and Grovyle? Check. So there is not even a chance that it wouldn't happen.

Mega Evolve for Ash on the other hand, although Ash is fascinated about them but clearly he does not seek to have it. Although for once he asked if Pikachu can Mega Evolve, but thats just that, he didn't ask for his other Pokemons, that means he is not that interested. And Ash can win without Megas anyways. In the Anime Megas are still not the level of a Legendary yet, and Ash beat multiples of those. So Ash losing to Mega Sceptile in the league doesn't seem like its guaranteed at all. So what are your worries?

Last edited:
Please let's stay on topic. This thread is for discussing a specific episode. Mega Evolution did not play a role in this episode whatsoever, as it was only mentioned. If you want to discuss certain characters possibly getting a Mega Evolution in the anime, please use this thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/mega-evolutions-anime-154150/

The only one Scottie had any chance of beating was Hawlucha and he screwed it up by trying to look at his notes. So I don't know what people expected, I for one would have been very upset if Grovyle beat Frogadier just because of type advantage.

Ash has had Frogadier for at least 3 gyms now, it should be strong enough to take on a freshly evolved Grovyle, especially when the badge difference between trainers is 5 in favor of Frogadier's trainer. I think I'd more question on how Treecko was able to survive an aerial ace (and other attacks), when it lost to a lowly cut a few episodes previously.

"as strong as the plot demands"

I am wonderding about something
Ash know about steven and saw him
his face change 100 percent from Advanced and he became a champion
How they will connecet this to that

I loved this episode because they finally gave Ash a rival and he didn`t lose to an inexprienced trainer in the Best Wishes Series when he lost to Trip thank you Frogadier. The Frogadier and Growyle rivalry good as well this is going to be in the league hopefully top 4 Final battle Greninja vs Sceptile at the end Greninja wins. I also want Growyle not to listen to Shota and when he returns the episode focuses on that because Shota is inexprienced and Growyle is Pretty good now to stand a chance against Frogadier who can win at a type disanvantage so then Shota can get stronger and get more badges for the final League battle Sceptile vs Greninja

And geez Scottie, don't just pull out your notebook to start writing in the middle of battle. Actually, with that said, I found it a bit weird that Ash didn't give Scottie an opportunity to take down his notes before going for his next attack. I just thought he'd be nice like that to the newbie, but I guess not. Lol.
He wasn't trying to take notes, he was consulting them.

Fun episode! I love Shota, he is such a cute and well mannered character. His Grovyle looks really cool, also. Its fight against Frogadier was great.

Can't wait to see Mega Sceptile vs. (Mega?) Greninja in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom