• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY075: Three-Match Rival Battle! Towards the Future!!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Episode page here

Wow Shota is soooo cute! And competent too. But he gotta step up a lot to even have a chance vs Ash. And this judgement is not based on his 3v3 performance in this episode. Its his battle style, he recognizes attack patterns then use tactics to win the battle, like shown in the flash back vs a Swellow when he is talking about his notebook. This is a huge disadvantage vs Ash as Ash can always create an additional option like that frubble Frogadier in the smoke near the end caught Shota completely off guard. (Nice Leaf Blade by Grovyle btw, if its anyone else Shota might have atleast beaten one Pokemon)

Slurpuff used at its finest! The nose. NEVER WASTE IT. USE IT. Shota is really clever at this, he did take notes about his Pokemon and their non battle abilities, good job on that.

Mid battle evolution + New Move learned, ahh what nostalgia.......?! It wasn't Ash? Wow. Treecko/Grovyle is so pumped up in the battle, I really wonder why, that eyes scared me a little bit, I guess he is trying to save his trainer from being clean swept, but still failed. I kinda feel sorry for him about that.

Frogadier is getting way too quick in this episode. Is he the chosen one in the Matrix? I never thought he would pull another stunt like this (dodging bullets) since Grant's Gym (that dodge Iron Tail).

The ending suggested a rivalry between Frogadier and Grovyle, which I am more than pleased!

Team Rocket battle is short, which is a positive thing, and they brought the comedic element they should, well done! What make them think the notebook belongs to Steven and what make them think returning the notebook to him will benefit them like how they fantasized? Its too Farfetch'd (and funny).

And I was like: Shota is leaving.. oh man. Wait..... The battle haven't start yet,and they are shaking hands and saying goodbye, how do... OK nevermind, he asked him for a battle mid handshake, that caught me off guard.

Overall, this episode did great showcasing Shota as a character, so that nulifies any possible complain I can have for this episode. (And that cake scene is a plusssss) 11/10

I have to question the Slurpuff with an Electroball (It is not legal, nor does it make much sense speed wise), but otherwise it looked good to me.

Hopefully the dub will catch that Electro Ball error, like they did with Treecko's "Razor Leaf", and change it to something like Energy Ball (which looks similar), as, thankfully, move errors are getting rarer, and I want it to stay that way.

Well, while Shota was telling about his experience meeting Steven, did Shota told that he is looking forward to training Treecko so that it can evolve into Sceptile and the Mega Evolve it.......If that is going to happen then Ash is surely going to get a Mega Evolved Pokémon, either Charizard (Alain) or Sceptile (Shota) or both....well Charizard's is inevitable...

well Charizard's is inevitable

There's nothing 'inevitable' about Satoshi's Lizardon Mega Evolving... hell, we don't know if any of the main characters will ever Mega Evolve a Pokemon. Right now, it's only getting used by Elite Trainers and Gym Leaders.

There's nothing 'inevitable' about Satoshi's Lizardon Mega Evolving... hell, we don't know if any of the main characters will ever Mega Evolve a Pokemon. Right now, it's only getting used by Elite Trainers and Gym Leaders.

And citrons dad, and the professor.

On the ither hand I thought this battle was alright as I love frogadier.

it's only getting used by Elite Trainers and Gym Leaders.

I don't know whether Sycamore and Meyer is in your list, but yes you are right........Maybe in future it would be used by Ash..?? who knows......I am only saying about Charizard because of the opening.......

I don't know whether Sycamore and Meyer is in your list, but yes you are right........Maybe in future it would be used by Ash..?? who knows......I am only saying about Charizard because of the opening.......

Well, it's obviously Alan's is going to be appearing in a future episode but I'll be very surprised if Ash gets involved in Mega Evolution... I'm pretty sure we'd have had hints by now.

Yeah, Limone and Platane aren't exactly trainers but experience wise they're easily on par with the Elites.

Anyway, getting back to this episode... the battle was very enjoyable but I hated seeing Shota getting his ass handed to him especially as he's a pretty likeable character. Hopefully they won't go down the Jun route and wheel him out every so often only to lose.

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, mainly because of Scottie and Grovyle vs. Frogadier.

I'm really starting to like Scottie more and more, if only because of his adorable voice:) Oh c'mon. Are you telling me none of them saw or heard Scottie's book fall on the ground.

OMG Treecko was sooooo cute when he was eating that PokePuff:) And damn, forgot Scottie's voice, he was pretty adorable just eating that cake:) And lol at his reaction when he saw that his book was gone. Well I don't blame him. Clearly it's very important to him with all his notes. I actually find it very interesting that he writes everything down in battles to create strategies to win. Aw, Slurpuff licking everyone was so cute. I lol'd at Bonnie asking Slurpuff to lick her. I wonder why Ash didn't send out all of his Pokemon to help look for the book like the others?

Moving on, we get the book back (And I don't even want to know what they thought the book was:/), TR blast off, and we even learn of Serena's next Showcase location (FINALLY! And man do I love that Showcase music:) yay. Now for the battle.

The battle pretty much went how I expected. I thought maybe Scottie could have beat Hawlucha with Slurpuff, but I'm not shocked at all by the result. Actually, I'm quite impressed with how Hawlucha has been doing battling Fairy-types. I find it funny that I doubted him so much in the gym battle. I know Frogaider vs. Grovyle was the main fight, but I do wish the other two battles were a bit longer. I mean Bagon and Slurpuff were both literally knocked out in two hits. And geez Scottie, don't just pull out your notebook to start writing in the middle of battle. Actually, with that said, I found it a bit weird that Ash didn't give Scottie an opportunity to take down his notes before going for his next attack. I just thought he'd be nice like that to the newbie, but I guess not. Lol.

Treecko/Grovyle vs. Frogadier was awesome. Man, why do they keep changing the way Frogaider uses Areial Ace? First it was a punch and a kick, then it was blade hands, and now it's back to punching and kicking. Well, at least that keeps it interesting. Lol, I loved Frogadier's expression when he was dodging Bullet Seed. And man, Treecko evolved much sooner than I expected. Rivalry confirmed for the badass middle stage starters:)

Nice episode overall. 8/10.

Anyway, getting back to this episode... the battle was very enjoyable but I hated seeing Shota getting his ass handed to him especially as he's a pretty likeable character. Hopefully they won't go down the Jun route and wheel him out every so often only to lose.
I can't help thinking they are setting this all up as yet another example of what we all already know - Ash is unpredictable in battle with a logic all of his own, therefore all of Shouta's attempts to take notes and learn from his battle style will ultimately be unsuccessful, because he's trying to think about Ash's illogical battle behaviour in a systematic way.

I'm not sure where else it could go, he will just train and try and use his understanding of Ash's strategy against him, be mid way through losing badly and then have the realisation he can't copy others and needs his own unique style. Then we get a Sceptile evolution to match up against an already evolved Greninja, and the theme music starts playing while they have a clash to resolve the rivalry set up in this episode.

Hopefully by going in assuming that scenario I can be positively surprised by how things turn out - but I'm not hopeful that he will be treated any better than the rest of the ignored XY rivals.

While you are technically right.

It would seem odd for Scottie to get a mega evolution and not Ash.

And it's all but confirmed Scottie's getting a mega evolution out of Mega Sceptile. The writers/executive producers could change their minds but that would be ridiculous.

That being said, no way does it confirm Charizard's return, Grovyle has a rivalry with Ash's Frogadier, it would be very ODD to have Scottie using Mega Sceptile against Grenina for Greninja to lose only for Ash to send out Mega Charizard and win the battle.

And geez Scottie, don't just pull out your notebook to start writing in the middle of battle. Actually, with that said, I found it a bit weird that Ash didn't give Scottie an opportunity to take down his notes before going for his next attack. I just thought he'd be nice like that to the newbie, but I guess not. Lol.

Based solely on my interpretation of the scene (because I don't speak Japanese), Scottie wasn't trying to write notes down, I'm pretty sure he was trying to find a way to combat Hawlucha, but Ash took advantage of the situation as a learning lesson.

I feel like Scottie might have been able to win that match but he screwed it up by looking in his "journal."

~So Shota is from Hoenn after all. It was nice to see that montage of when he obtained Treecko and them battling (and later defeating) a wild Taillow. But why would he forsake his home region and decide to come to Kalos to start his badge quest?

~Have Team Rocket forgotten their previous encounter with Steven? Both Jessie and James are so fond over this new, handsome, Champion Steven when the last time they met, said heartthrob had Aggron blast them into next week. Also, pretty quick how they picked up Shota's notebook (how did no one notice it fall from his chest pocket?) literally 3 seconds after it dropped. I know they usually stalk the children, but wow. Close proximity much?

~Ash learns that Sceptile has a Mega Evolution! Did you all see the glance he shared with Pikachu? "Wait, you mean one of my most strongest Pokes can also mega evolve? My own Sceptile back at home?!" I was slightly upset that Ash didn't make a reference to the fact that he not only owns a Sceptile but he has met Steven, Professor Birch and competed in the Hoenn League. But whatever.

~Another remix of the Pokemon Center theme. Sounds great!

~Serena being pumped about her upcoming showcase was nice to see. Glad to know the dream hasn't died.

~Pikachu vs Bagon is exactly how Pikachu vs Snivy should have been in BW, electric moves or not.

~I'm getting tired of the writers getting lazy with Slurpuff and Fairy moves. It can utilize Fairy Wind, Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough and Draining Kiss and still we have main character's Slurpuffs using elemental ball attacks (this time an illegal one!). Ash was pretty relentless with Shota during this battle but I hope it taught Shota that he can't seriously expect opponents to give him the time to reference/write notes in the midst of battle.

~Treecko/Groyvle vs Frogadier was fun and nicely animated (the handstands leading up to Aerial Ace though!). I was seriously rooting for Groyvle, but it unfortunately lost. It's funny: whenever Ash & Co's Pokemon evolve during battle, that results in an automatic win. Here Shota had an evolution AND type advantage and still lost...Groyvle didn't even land a hit after evolving! I love Frogadier, but it was seriously overpowered here (and has been since its evolution). It's okay Shota, you and Groyvle were still number one today in my book.

~Groyvle and Frogadier rivalry ftw!

Side notes:

-I really want to see Shota vs Ramos.
-Wouldn't it be epicly beautiful if Ash battled Olympia at the Sundial during the sunset, like pictured in Serena's map?!

This episode was pretty good, specially Team Rocket being Team Rocket. It annoys me when they get blasted off so easily, though... it feels way too forced.

Now, I'm mostly interested in Steven. Was there any indication that Ash and Team Rocket met him before? Of course there wasn't, so I'm asking... was there any indication that Ash and Team Rocket didn't met him before? My Japanese level is still weak, so I could only notice that Ash didn't asked who was he, Ash just shouted his name after Shota talked about him. On the other hand, Jessie acted completely different, and while James knew a lot about him, he basically introduced Steven to her and Meowth. That said, they barely interacted with Steven in his debut episode anyway. It's all very confusing.

Not to mention Ash doesn't bat an eye after hearing Steven is the Champion of Hoenn, while in DP it was stated that Wallace was the Champion. So it's not only a continuity ambiguety between this episode and the AG one, but with the DP series as well. I wasn't expecting Ash to recall meeting Steven or mentioning Wallace or anything, but at least that they tried to make some sense here. My question is... are they caring or not about continuity after all? Was Steven's AG appearance retconned out or not?

Here's a comparision of Professor Birch's lab, to show that, all in all, they do take the AG series into account after all. Or at least that's what I think... the lab seems pretty different, but I believe the basis design is the same, is it?
9fMHVvX.png

Last edited:
- As expected, Ash and TRio don't remember encountering Steven Stone (the episode that last featured him aired over 12 years ago).
- Scottie is from Hoenn, picked Treecko as his first Pokémon, and wants his starter to Mega Evolve.
- Scottie's Slurpuff likes to lick Pokémon.
- The three Pokémon choices in the Quiz were the three Hoenn starter.
- As expected, Serena's next competition will take place in Dendemille Town.
- Scottie will go to Coumarine City next.
- First battle is Pikachu vs. Bagon. Pikachu wins.
- Next battle is Hawlucha vs. Slurpuff. Hawlucha wins. So Slurpuff's Electro Ball is a move error.
- Third battle is Frogadier vs. Treecko.
- Treecko knows Agility.
- Treecko evolves and learns Leaf Blade.
- Frogadier beats Grovyle.
- Narrator confirms Scottie is from Hoenn in the end.

I loved this episode! I'm so sad that Shouta is gone now, hopefully his next visit will be as long and as wonderful! I can't stop finding it hilarious whenever he and Pikachu interact :p He's just such a genuine and believable little character!

His presence has really thrown Satoshi's journey and age into perspective to me. I mean, look at the pair when they're stood next to each other! Even if Satoshi is still officially 10 years old, he's clearly older and wiser than Shouta. I was pleased with the clean sweep, especially Pikachu's clinical victory - this is realism.

TRio were gold this episode, so... DP!

While you are technically right.

It would seem odd for Scottie to get a mega evolution and not Ash.

And it's all but confirmed Scottie's getting a mega evolution out of Mega Sceptile. The writers/executive producers could change their minds but that would be ridiculous.
The fundamental flaw in this argument is that it is not all but confirmed that Shouta will get Mega Jukain. Shouta simply said that that is what they're aspiring towards, and as we know Satoshi has been aspiring towards becoming a Pokemon Master for coming up to 20 years; Kibago never evolved even once .etc .etc. Given that Shouta, halfway through the series (or so we'd assume) is unable to defeat even one of Satoshi's pokemon indicates that he will not reach the required skill level before XY ends!

Now, I'm mostly interested in Steven. Was there any indication that Ash and Team Rocket met him before? Of course there wasn't, so I'm asking... was there any indication that Ash and Team Rocket didn't met him before? My Japanese level is still weak, so I could only notice that Ash didn't asked who was he, Ash just shouted his name after Shota talked about him.
Satoshi didn't explicitly say that they'd met before but I got the impression from the tone of his response that he was acknowledging their previous relationship.

If they used the basic design of Birch's laboratory as shown in AG (even if it looks completely different, you can still see the basic design of the AG laboratory in it), I don't see why such a small thing as the TRio/Ash recognizing Steven is such a big deal. The way I see it it's not like the writers don't care about continuity/earlier series at all, but they probably just want to stay in the present as much as possible. Still, I've always liked the subtle references to past series shown in the past, so I don't really like how this turned out.

But perhaps I'm nitpicking, because in all it was a fine episode. I only wish Scottie would have been able to get at least one win.

The episode from Advanced Generation was likely ignored because it makes it easier to start with a fresh slate. The episode in question went nowhere so drudging it back up just for the sake of continuity would've been pretty pointless. The look Satoshi gave Pikachuu about Mega Jukain was a good enough "kind of-sort of" nod to continuity.

I highly doubt that Satoshi remembers a guy he randomly met several journeys ago... besides, XY Daigo is pretty much a completely difference person from AG Daigo in all but basic appearance. Anyway, I highly doubt Satoshi and Daigo will meet again so the whole point is moot.

Also, forgot to mention earlier... Shota has a Peroream but didn't know what Fairy weaknesses and resistances were?! That's pretty weird.

Citron and Serena sending their Pokemon out was just a heavy-handed way to remind kids that these guys still exist, its been so long since we've seen them.

I still don't see Satoshi with a Mega Jukain, which is weird because out of all the Megas it's the one I'd most like to see him... this is the guy who brought down Darkrai, don't forget... having said that, Satoshi still doesn't have a Grass-type in his party and he is waiting awfully late to fill it.

The fundamental flaw in this argument is that it is not all but confirmed that Shouta will get Mega Jukain. Shouta simply said that that is what they're aspiring towards, and as we know Satoshi has been aspiring towards becoming a Pokemon Master for coming up to 20 years; Kibago never evolved even once .etc .etc. Given that Shouta, halfway through the series (or so we'd assume) is unable to defeat even one of Satoshi's pokemon indicates that he will not reach the required skill level before XY ends!

If you honestly think that Scottie getting a mega evolved Sceptile is comparable to Ash becoming a Pokemon Master I can't take your argument seriously.

I can't take it seriously when you said this anyway "is unable to defeat even one of Satoshi's pokemon indicates that he will not reach the required skill level before XY ends!"

I'm pretty sure the prerequisite for mega evolution is not beating one of Ash's Pokemon, granted that's not entirely what you meant but I'm pretty sure that's not even close to one of the prerequisites even in the vaguest sense.

The only prerequisites to mega evolution is:

1. Mega Ring/Key Stone
2. Mega Stone (the proper one for the proper Pokemon)
3. A great bond between Pokemon and trainer.

A toddler could theoretically mega evolve a Pokemon if the Pokemon had a great connection with the toddler and the toddler activated the keystone and it reacted with a Pokemon's mega stone. (anime-wise)

Battling skill has absolutely nothing to do with mega evolving, it might help things go faster, but it is NOT a prerequisite. Maybe a Pokemon needs to battle in order to mega evolve, but you definitely do not need some Pokemon Master skill in order for this to happen.

I don't like that people constantly say that mega evolution is only for "Strong or elite trainers" because that isn't true. Scottie could EASILY mega evolve Sceptile, if he had the proper equipment and had the expected great bond with his starter Pokemon that he should.

Only reason WHY Scottie wouldn't have a mega Sceptile, if the writers/executive producers thought it was cheap to give HIM one but not Ash. Though that didn't stop them from giving Cameron a Hydreigon and screwing Ash over in the process.

If Shota is not getting Mega Sceptile then why mention it at all? Mega Sceptile is marketable so this is not another "Axew wants to evolve" case

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom