• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY076: The Wind, the Egg and Onbat!

WatcherMark

Reaction score
XY076 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

In this episode, Satoshi captures a dragon-type which desires to become more powerful and... wait, didn't we do this one already?

Oh, and Hinoyakoma's ability is confirmed as Flame Body, for those people who care about such things.

Now that I've watched the episode, there were a couple of things I really liked:

- Luchabull bonding with Onbat was a surprising but welcome choice. Nice to see our favourite wrestler take on a paternal role.
- One of the moments in this episode that really made me laugh was when Maaiika and Bakeccha, having blasted Team Rocket and not realised, then imitated their laugh. It was a very quick but very funny moment.
- Nice to see the show has gone back to unique egg designs, after BW tried to implement the generic design from the games.

Last edited:
As someone not particularly happy about losing Goodra for Noibat on Ash's team - I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good this episode was.

Still not sure exactly how the anime explains Pokemon eggs, though the games don't exactly explain that either - at least they imply parents - appearing out of a glow with no Pokemon around doesn't make any sense. I suppose the weirdness of that means we'll be spared a 'finding Noibat's parents' episode.

That scene of trying to hatch the egg was really nice - though obviously I wish there was a convenient bicycle that Ash could look over at and imagine riding around in circles - like how you actually hatch Pokemon. Ash certainly looks like he'd make a really good father in those scenes... *nudges Serena*

It's weird how frequently apple-shaped Pokefruit ends up being inedibly bitter, it'd really have made more sense if they simply had different tastebuds for different Pokemon that make them like different pieces of fruit better.

Team Rocket really aren't trying anymore with how they trap Pokemon they capture - from cages they walk away from to now just tying a rope around them and hoping for the best. Particularly amusing when they could have just thrown a Pokeball.

Hawlucha deliberately failing to make Noibat feel better is certainly a highlight - I suppose it's the one upside to having way too many flying types.

I didn't recognise any of it - but the music in this episode seemed really different than usual, where's that from?

I liked it overall. Hopefully Noibat grows up very quickly and we don't have it dragging on like Scraggy.

This was a really nice episode. Almost everyone trying to warm the egg (I guess) and Fletchinder helping them was an interesting way to avoid the boring 'Hey it's hatching let's leave it on the ground and watch for a while!' situation.

Also, nice way to show Noibat's ultrasound abilites to pick the good fruit and detect TR in the cave. Speaking of the cave scene, it was one of the hilarious XY moments to date followed by Inkay and Pumpkaboo attacking TR and then laughing like them. Pretty predictable yet it was fun to watch.

It is also good to address Noibat's admiration towards Hawlucha which will probably play big next episode. We also saw the quirky side of Fletchinder today when it landed on Hawlucha, Chespin and Pancham.

The only thing that bothered me, though, was Ash's quick sweep of Team Rocket...
To note: in this episode James (thanks to Inkay/Pumpkaboo) got Serena's hairstyle :D

XY076 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

- Nice to see the show has gone back to unique egg designs, after BW tried to implement the generic design from the games.

I'm sure they never stopped doing that. Scraggy's color scheme is just too similar to the game eggs.

Team Rocket really aren't trying anymore with how they trap Pokemon they capture - from cages they walk away from to now just tying a rope around them and hoping for the best. Particularly amusing when they could have just thrown a Pokeball.

Not really, Team Rocket just came into the scene, they have no idea Noibat belongs to Ash or not, if they assumed it does, then it means Pokeball won't work on them. (I wonder whats with people these days, its shown even in Best Wishes that Pokaball can't catch owned Pokemon (Meowth stated that Pokeball worked on him because no one owned him, in case you forgot), so whats with this Pikachu be captured by Meowth in the Pokeball factory episode or catching Hawlucha and Noibat discussion is even a thing?)

Although I agree Team Rocket is getting boring and I am running out of patients for them, this is just too nitpicky than I would have imagined. The only fault they have is not using a cage, but for me its not like a mattered.... Ash's Pokemon break cages all the time. So it actually won't do much difference, but ofcourse, it will make Team Rocket seems like putting more effort into it.

Anyways. This Episode is AMAZING!

I don't think I need to say much about Noibat, as I will be repeating a lot what others are saying, but I do think as a newborn, Noibat is a tactical genius. Using supersonic to locate enemy and then remove the earplug so that it can use supersonic to repel them away accompanied by the echo in the cave which caused the supersonic to become more devastating. Genius? Check!

Best way to introduce Flame Body? Obvious answer is obvious. This is way better than an activation in Gym or Rival Battles, kudos to the writers for that, super well done.

12/10 Things are just getting better.

Not really, Team Rocket just came into the scene, they have no idea Noibat belongs to Ash or not, if they assumed it does, then it means Pokeball won't work on them. (I wonder whats with people these days, its shown even in Best Wishes that Pokaball can't catch owned Pokemon (Meowth stated that Pokeball worked on him because no one owned him, in case you forgot), so whats with this Pikachu be captured by Meowth in the Pokeball factory episode or catching Hawlucha and Noibat discussion is even a thing?)

Although I agree Team Rocket is getting boring and I am running out of patients for them, this is just too nitpicky than I would have imagined. The only fault they have is not using a cage, but for me its not like a mattered.... Ash's Pokemon break cages all the time. So it actually won't do much difference, but ofcourse, it will make Team Rocket seems like putting more effort into it.
Obviously they couldn't have known, but there's ways they could have worked it into the plot. Something like accidentally tripping and having a pokeball fly towards Noibat, and either almost catching it or Hawlucha batting it away. Or even just Team Rocket watching on from a distance after landing and seeing Ash capture it, for them to get the realisation after the fact that it would have been that simple.

Also obviously, Team Rocket always fail, so yeah it makes no actual difference how much they try, but here even just leaving them in the net they caught them in would have been more effective than loosely tying a rope. I'd like them to at least try and pretend they have a chance of success.

Still not sure exactly how the anime explains Pokemon eggs, though the games don't exactly explain that either - at least they imply parents

I think it's heavily implied where they come from in the games. Naturally, they can't spell it out directly because it is fundamentally a kids' game.

This episode was fantastic.

Wow, the episode starts with Pancham and Chespin already fighting. How nice... Anyway, I did like how Serena let Bonnie brush Braxien. I also thought it was interesting that Hawlucha found the egg while he was training by himself. Ok, am I the only one who thought it was weird how everyone just randomly chose to call back a few of their Pokemon rather than all of them? I mean, why did Ash only return Frogadier (obviosuly ignoring Hawlucha's absence and Pikachu)? Why didn't Serena and Clemont call back their arguing Pokemon? That just seemed odd to me.

I lol'd when Ash was freaking out about the egg about to hatch while Bonnie, Pancham, and Chespin were instead dancing with happiness. I love how almost everyone assisted with warming the egg with Fletchinder's Flame Body also coming into play. OMG Noibat is so cute:) Lol, the Pokemon being all hyped up to introduce themselves to Noibat was hilarious. Aw, Ash stopping Noibat's crying was too adorable. Again, Bonnie and all the Pokemon taking care of Noibat was awesome and adorable. Cool that Noibat can sense which apples are good and which ones aren't.

The flying lessons were cool. I love how Ash had Hawlucha try to teach Noibat to glide. At this point though, Pancham and Chespin seemed totally irrelevant. They can't help help Noibat learn to fly, so I really didn't see the point for them being out anymore (aside from pointless "comic relief"). But regardless, Fletchinder and especially Hawlucha were great in assisting Noibat. I especially loved how Hawlucha defended Noibat throughout TR's entire plot. I did think it was weird that Ash had Fletchinder charge TR with Steel Wing rather than using Razor Wind from afar.

Damn, Noibat is pretty smart. He suggested they hide in the cave, and help Hawlucha to totally pwn TR and get those stupid looking noise blockers off so he could hit them with Supersonic. Hawlucha kicking Jessie in the face was probably my favorite part of this episode:) Lol at Tr getting blasted and laughed at by their own Pokemon. Then we get bad-ass Frogadier to battle TR. I love how all of Ash's Pokemon got to play a role in this episode. Lol, and I loved when Noibat and Hawluha both fell out of the sky at the end.

This episode was awesome 10/10 easily for me.

I think it's heavily implied where they come from in the games. Naturally, they can't spell it out directly because it is fundamentally a kids' game.
I'm more thinking about how illogical it is for the majority of Pokemon to produce eggs, usually the anime can get away from mechanics that are forced by the limitations of being a game, yet all Pokemon coming from eggs is something they followed.

Thinking about it, I think random glows make some form of sense. Pokemon being compatible enough to be able to do a special move very rarely that makes the energy force that turns into an egg. Doesn't explain where the random glow in this episode came from - but makes more sense than anything else a Wailord and Skitty could do.

I'm more thinking about how illogical it is for the majority of Pokemon to produce eggs, usually the anime can get away from mechanics that are forced by the limitations of being a game, yet all Pokemon coming from eggs is something they followed.

Thinking about it, I think random glows make some form of sense. Pokemon being compatible enough to be able to do a special move very rarely that makes the energy force that turns into an egg. Doesn't explain where the random glow in this episode came from - but makes more sense than anything else a Wailord and Skitty could do.

"Congratulations, your Seviper and Zangoose took a few minutes out of trying to kill each other to produce an egg. And now they're trying to kill each other again over who's fault it was."

Actually, TBH, that'd be a lolzy point for an anime episode to focus on. X3

Still not sure exactly how the anime explains Pokemon eggs, though the games don't exactly explain that either - at least they imply parents

Not really... no-one in the games have ever seen a Pokemon actually get down to 'the business'. It's always been a case of the breeders looking away for a while then suddenly discovering an egg. How it appeared and how it was created are still a mystery in the Pokemon world.

Not really... no-one in the games have ever seen a Pokemon actually get down to 'the business'. It's always been a case of the breeders looking away for a while then suddenly discovering an egg. How it appeared and how it was created are still a mystery in the Pokemon world.

The only way to look at this, is if reproduction of Pokemon is innocent.

Because if it's not touching each other, glowing and the forming an egg out of energy, I'm pretty sure it will never be explained except in creepy fan fiction.

Maybe it's just me, but I always saw the "we don't know how it got there, but your pokemon had it" as being part of the joke.

I know the episode called for it, but in a logical context it wouldn't make sense for Ash and co. to keep Fletchinder, Pancham, and Chespin out. The trainers should have recalled all of their Pokémon in that case. Speaking of Pancham and Chespin, they felt utterly pointless in this episode. They really didn't do anything, which was disappointing.

And Fletchinder's Ability is confirmed as Flame Body, which means Fletchling's Ability should have been Big Pecks (unless Gen VII introduces a second normal ability Fletchling). Hopefully we can see Flame Body being used in a battle scenario.

On another note, it's nice to see that Pumpkaboo and Inkay imitated TRio's signature laugh. It was cute to hear that.

Well this makes the third Dragon-type that Ash has caught (if I'm reading Noibat's stats correctly). I want to believe that Noibat will evolve and remain in Ash's care, but, after what happened with Goodra and after noticing the fact that Noibat's position is similar to Larvitar's from the OS (an egg separated from its parents that was hatched in Ash's care), I have a gut feeling that Noibat will be saying goodbye soon enough, even if it does evolve. Also, Noibat's evolved form is already in the care of Alexa, so, Ash having one would be a bit awkward.

Still, though, I will try to enjoy Noibat while i can.

Also, Noibat's evolved form is already in the care of Alexa, so, Ash having one would be a bit awkward.

Ash and May shared a Squirtle.
Ash and May shared a Bulbasaur.
Ash and Paul shared a Turtwig, Grotle and later Torterra.
Ash and Paul shared a Gliscor.
Ash and Barry shared a Staraptor and Heracross.
Ash and Dawn shared a Cyndaquil.
Ash and Iris shared a Gible.
Dawn, Kenny and Barry all have shared a Piplup.
Ash and Trip have shared a Snivy.
Brock and Nurse Joy shared a Chansey.
Ash and Ritchie shared Pikachu, Butterfree and Charmander.
And the list goes on and on and on.

I don't get why people are so foreign to multiple trainers owning the same species of Pokemon.

The Pokemon anime sure doesn't understand what a baby is really like... Onbat is like the most functional infant I've ever ever seen! It's got a cute voice though and I'm supremely glad that the flight issues were not resolved in this episode.

Maaiika and Bakeccha attacking the TRio and laughing has to be up there in my top 5 lol moments of XY!

...after what happened with Goodra and after noticing the fact that Noibat's position is similar to Larvitar's from the OS (an egg separated from its parents that was hatched in Ash's care), I have a gut feeling that Noibat will be saying goodbye soon enough, even if it does evolve. Also, Noibat's evolved form is already in the care of Alexa, so, Ash having one would be a bit awkward.

Ok, I highly doubt that the writers are going to quickly write out two Pokemon in a row and I don't count Onbat's position as being that similar to Yogiras... the only thing that they have in common is that they both hatched from an egg.

As for the whole 'It's going to be awkward because Alexa has one' thing... erm, we've seen that thing only three times. Each time was brief, and it hasn't appeared on the show for over a year and a half now. Plus, as mentioned above, characters have shared Pokemon more than once. There's nothing at all awkward about Satoshi's Onbat evolving.

Back
Top Bottom