• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY078: Pikachu Becomes a Star!? Its Movie Debut!!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Can a day get better after a perfect Pokemon episode?

Add another perfect one I will say.

And do this special fulfill that criteria? YES!

The motivation behind making the movie is perfect! The old man.. such a sad story, but I am not sad, as he didn't went depress, and instead this dream to make a movie IS FABULOUS!

Compensating the horrible stock animation blast off in the Noibat episode, we hereby give you a perfect Bad Pikachu Gang blast off.

Ash and co voice acting? What you can ask for more? Their smile and that Getta Ban Ban going in the background... nailed it. Its too perfect.

Everyone watching the result that they made, and Bonnie's reactions. OMG this is good.

That MGM imitation and..... bloopers? I lost any right to complain after the blooper episode card.

I give a 20/10? Its because I can!

Re: Pikachu Special

I'd heard a rumour that Pikachu was going to pick up a new move in this episode. I'm guessing it isn't true?

Can a day get better after a perfect Pokemon episode?

Add another perfect one I will say.

And do this special fulfill that criteria? YES!

The motivation behind making the movie is perfect! The old man.. such a sad story, but I am not sad, as he didn't went depress, and instead this dream to make a movie IS FABULOUS!

Compensating the horrible stock animation blast off in the Noibat episode, we hereby give you a perfect Bad Pikachu Gang blast off.

Ash and co voice acting? What you can ask for more? Their smile and that Getta Ban Ban going in the background... nailed it. Its too perfect.

Everyone watching the result that they made, and Bonnie's reactions. OMG this is good.

That MGM imitation and..... bloopers? I lost any right to complain after the blooper episode card.

I give a 20/10? Its because I can!

I'd really like to know, why this isn't an episode of Pokemon, when it has Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie in it, and it's only a special.

Since when does a special of Pokemon have the current main characters in it?

I'd really like to know, why this isn't an episode of Pokemon, when it has Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie in it, and it's only a special.

Since when does a special of Pokemon have the current main characters in it?

Well, you got me. They decided that this episode should not be put into the episode count for some reason that obviously I don't know.

You should ask the director! :p

My reaction to this episode:
bbImcEa.gif

Hopefully not being a normal episode won't impact on whether it gets dubbed, because this is a really fun episode - particularly the outtakes section at the end.

Is the person in charge of the anime section delirious or what? This is XY78, not a damn special.

Since when does a special episode include Ash and Co.? Usually they are out of the picture and the focus is on the Pokemon themselves.

Oh well, now the episode listing will be affected from now on because this site thinks it's a special episode. Lol.

Is the person in charge of the anime section delirious or what? This is XY78, not a damn special.

Since when does a special episode include Ash and Co.? Usually they are out of the picture and the focus is on the Pokemon themselves.

Oh well, now the episode listing will be affected from now on because this site thinks it's a special episode. Lol.

Yeah I'm really at a loss, I mean Serebii counts it as an episode.

It's like somehow the XY anime series/tv tokyo all the people responsible for this episode, wanted to stylize this episode differently than the usual format and suddenly its a special rather than an episode. I mean all four parts are interconnected so you can't just skip one part and be okay. All the parts work together. This isn't like those 2 minute Hoopa shorts that I think existed with Ash and Hoopa.

I never understood why this was ever considered a special. Even Dephender of Serebii a trustworthy translator labels this as an episode of Pokemon XY anime. Even on Bulbapedia, the only reason this is labelled as a special is because it aired alongside the Noibat sky relay episode. We have had 1 hour specials before, people.

Edit: To be fair the episode does end differently with a hanging Pikachu rather than the group setting off on the sunset.

Yeah, this is not a special episode. Sure, it was formatted a bit differently with the different title cards but other than that there is nothing to differentiate it if it had aired as part of any double episode... however, as far as the main site is concerned this is special and may always stay that way.

Also, random note, first appearance of a Matadogas in the show since Kojiro released his twelve years ago.

I think the four title cards messed everything up. and was the reason why Bulbapedia lists this as a special episode.

Episode-wise, I thought it was okay. I'm not a fan of these movie making episodes, but it was almost on par with BW082. I liked the blooper section the best. I noticed that Pikachu Libre and Pikachu Rock Star were male Pikachu and didn't have the black stripes on their tails.

I don't understand why is this classified as "special episode", it's a normal episode, even Serebii counts it as a regular one...

Okay, that Pikadude's excessive Pikamerch was pretty hilarious. I mean, Clemont drinking out of a Pikacup while Bonnie cuddles with a Pikaplush, talking to a man sitting on a Pikathrone. Pure awesomeness.

OMG the Cosplay Pikachu were so adorable. I wish Pikachu PH.D could remove her glasses in-game. I would like her so much more if she could. Same if I could have male Pikachu Libre and Rockstar. But Popstar and Belle were perfect as usual:)

Did Clemont's hair twitch by itself? That's pretty creepy. Lol, I love how Clemont helped Pikadirector write the movie. Aw, Bonnie napping with the Cosplay Pikachu was cute.

Lol at Ash getting zapped by the Pikachu during filming. I love that Serena assisted in the filming as well and that Braxien helped with some of the effects. And wow, I sure as hell didn't expect Hawlucha as a Pikachu stunt double. I mean, he's clearly much bigger than Pikachu. Guess it doesn't matter since it was only for one short scene.

I lol'd, at Serena filming them while they were eating with Clemont being clearly uncomfortable. And OMG, what is it with the series and death?

Awesome, how Bonnie and Serena got to do the voice acting for the movie. OMG, that Pikachu PH.D and Rockstar fist bump was too cute. Okay, forget what I said earlier, I want a Winged Pikachu Cosplay Pikachu. That movie was awesome.

Wow, the bloopers were awesome. Bonnie and Braxien doing make-up, Pikachu slipping on a rock and KOing himself, Ash putting on Hawlucha's costume upside down (how do you even do that?), Clemont once again freaking out over the camera. Just perfection all around.

10/10 PikaPerfection.

I heard this episode had the voice actors appear in the episode itself, is that true?

This was a fun episode to tell the truth. Now that I've seen it, I can't quite understand why it's classified as a special episode.

The director and his love for Pikachu is quite humorous. The flashback where they showed his wife had passed away was unexpected though o_O. Clemont helping out the director plan everything was awesome along with his reactions to being filmed by Serena. Bonnie's hanging out with the cosplay Pikachu's was cute. Ash getting zapped by all those Pikachu was great. I'm not quite sure if Serena was filming for the movie or just filming everyone for fun. Either way it was cool that she did one of those things or even both.

It's really great they got Serena, Bonnie to voice act for the female cosplay Pikachu's. Braixen, Hawlucha being used for special effects and stunts was perfect. Everyone in the episode had a great performance overall. The bloopers just made the episode even better. The best one was when Pikachu jumped and slipped on a piece of rock, KO itself. Overall this episode was really good and seriously can't find any flaws with it. It deserves a 10/10 in my books.

Last edited:
This was literally the perfect 20 (or whatever) minutes of Pokemon! It was just completely meta. Every element (including tiny details) was just spot on and I feel that the director's story of Pikachu being there for him through thick and thin would have resonated with any long time fan of the franchise ;-) The Ikue Ohtani cameo was a shock treat.

Also I almost shed a tear of joy to see Matadogas again! It even sounded the same as it always did! :')

This episode killed me, Eureka, the various Pikachu, the bloopers, Luchabull as a stunt-double.

I think this might have exceeded XY032 as my favorite XY episode! It was so precious and incredibly adorable, fun, meta and everyone just doing their best for the Pikachu was so much fun to watch.

Just :lol:, that's what it is!

(and who invited Weezing?!)

Last edited:
I didn't expect the director to turn out to be a widower. Is it just me or has this X/Y series had more mentions of human death than all previous seasons combined? Never thought I'd see so much of that in Pokemon.

My favorite parts:
-"Citronic Brain, on!"
-Hawlucha as Pikachu's stunt double. That was brilliant.
-The gag reel at the end was hilarious.
-Ash & the gang helping with voice acting. We know Ash has done that kind of thing a couple times before, but it was cool to see the Kalos gang try their hand at it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom