• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY080: Tairenar and Yancham!! A Captivating Fiery Performance!!

To Geodude, what I meant was that they were not very needed and only served as, well, not exactly tools but you were correct, more like assistants.

Then if we view them as assistants instead, I don't see where there's a problem. In just about any group project, there's always a leader.

Then if we view them as assistants instead, I don't see where there's a problem. In just about any group project, there's always a leader.

That is true. But if the showcase is about the Pokemon rather than the Performers themselves, then they shouldn't be the assistants. They should be the focus, for all rounds. I think therein lies the problem.

What would be truly impressive is if the Pokemon made the Poke Puffs or did a majority of the work rather than fetch ingredients.

But the Showcase isn't just about the Pokemon. It's been clearly stated to be about the Pokemon and the performers.

But the Showcase isn't just about the Pokemon. It's been clearly stated to be about the Pokemon and the performers.

I agree that it isn't just about the Pokémon, but it isn't just about the Performer either. If you have Pokémon like Swanna and Honedge doing absolutely nothing to help their Trainers during an entire round you have to ask yourself what is the point. Why they were even there?

Pokémon Showcases are about Performers getting as involved in the activities as their Pokémon, not about Performers hogging the spotlight and having their Pokémon bring them ingredients. They should both be the focus. They should both shine together. It's not happening here. The only thing Braixen got to do here was opening the oven, how's that showing the Pokémon as much as the Performer?

To @Mareepy; Speculation. You don't know if there's a company behind Showcases, you're just assuming Palermo is running this company and dictating the rules. Honestly you have nothing to back that up. You're counting with the possibility that one day the writers might explain all about Pokémon Showcases instead of seeing things the way they are presented to you. Let us speculate then, what if there's no company? What if the writers decide to leave this subject untouched?

I agree that it isn't just about the Pokémon, but it isn't just about the Performer either. If you have Pokémon like Swanna and Honedge doing absolutely nothing to help their Trainers during an entire round you have to ask yourself what is the point. Why they were even there?
You can reach a definitive conclusion like that based on a few seconds of footage out of a much longer period of time? Pretty neat trick. Can you teach me how to do that?

Pokémon Showcases are about Performers getting as involved in the activities as their Pokémon, not about Performers hogging the spotlight and having their Pokémon bring them ingredients. They should both be the focus. They should both shine together. It's not happening here. The only thing Braixen got to do here was opening the oven, how's that showing the Pokémon as much as the Performer?
Suppose all of these trainers were battling on a particular special battlefield: a water one, for example. Some of their Pokemon would have an advantage, others would have a disadvantage. This is just another battlefield.

To @Mareepy; Speculation. You don't know if there's a company behind Showcases, you're just assuming Palermo is running this company and dictating the rules. Honestly you have nothing to back that up. You're counting with the possibility that one day the writers might explain all about Pokémon Showcases instead of seeing things the way they are presented to you. Let us speculate then, what if there's no company? What if the writers decide to leave this subject untouched?

Possible. But I still stand by my point that the premise is the competition is for females, cooking and modelling is just a part of it and its all about Pokemon.

As I said, it will be a shame if an equivalent competition for male doesn't not exist. So yeah, I will wait and see if the writers do explain that.

I think its too hard to think Yashio is not behind the competition. Due to the press are clearly anticipating her arrival at XY60. I don't think the press have any other reason to wait for her there.

I'm glad Serena got her first key. I still hope Jessie can get her three before the master class.

And it was great to see Miette back, I love that Meowstic M is around now.

You can reach a definitive conclusion like that based on a few seconds of footage out of a much longer period of time? Pretty neat trick. Can you teach me how to do that?

Yes I can. It's a pretty neat trick indeed and I perfected it long ago. I'm feeling benevolent today and since you're asking so politely, I'm going to teach you and soon you'll be able to tell what happens in the anime based on a few seconds of footage just like me. First you have to see what's right in front of you, so pay attention.

137.jpg
Screenshot of Swanna doing nothing.
138.jpg
Screenshot of Plusle stirring the mixture used to make Poké Puffs.
150.jpg
Another screenshot of Swanna doing nothing.
199.jpg
Screenshot of Sneasel slicing Berries.
263.jpg
Screenshot of a freaking sword standing still while its Trainer cuts something.

This is your first lesson! Can you tell the differences between them? They are all still images, but just take a look and you'll see that there are a few Pokémon ~in action~ and there are others that... well... just not helping. Can you explain to me how helpful Swanna and Honedge were to their Trainers?

Seriously now, you can easily tell that there are some Pokémon doing things to help their Trainers and there are others standing around completely useless. You yourself said Showcases are about Performers and their Pokémon. However, this is not what they are showing us. What we have here are Performers that are barely using their Pokémon (Slurpuff bringing milk, Braixen opening the oven) or ignoring them completely to the point they serve no purpose (Swanna doing nothing, Honedge doing nothing). As I said in my previous post, the Performers should be just as involved as their Pokémon but this isn't happening. I feel like I am unable to make things more clear than that. I'm repeating myself and this is going nowhere. If you think that Swanna was helpful, that it needed to be in here so its Trainer would be able to get things done, that it is as important to this competition as its Performer, then that's fine, more power to you. This means you can enjoy this competition more than I can and I kinda envy that because I really wish I could be invested in Serena's goal, I really wish she had chosen a better career path and that her Pokémon could do more than this, but I just can't ignore all these flaws.

Suppose all of these trainers were battling on a particular special battlefield: a water one, for example. Some of their Pokemon would have an advantage, others would have a disadvantage. This is just another battlefield.

Not the same. As I pointed out before, some of these Pokémon are not even being used. They are being wasted, they are useless to their Trainers, they do nothing, they serve no purpose. Even in water battlefields you can use Pokémon that are unable to swim because these Gym pools always have some floating platforms so that these Pokémon can be of some assistance. The example you gave is terrible because we have seen Ash successfully using his Pikachu in these battlefields before and Pikachu did a lot more than all of the Pokémon used in this Theme Performance combined.

I have to admit I did fully enjoy watching the episode and really got into it to the extent that I didn't bother asking the questions about this bs which I otherwise always do. Millefeuille is great and I love her trolling Serena, and needless to say I loved Musashi, Nyasu and Sonansu's performance. Nevertheless, this thread has been a great read/laugh :p and brought me back to my senses!

I really tried watching through this but I couldn't do it. Shit is just too boring. Why even give Serena Pokemon if dressing up in dumb outfits and creating sparkles is all they're used for?

Whether you like it or not, plenty of girls DO like that kind of thing.
And boys?

My main problem with this horrible competition is, as so many others have said, that only girls can compete. Pretty much every other reason stated in this thread to hate the competition (pokemon on the sidelines, no battling, such stereotypically "girly" elements .etc) I also agree with.

Yes I can. It's a pretty neat trick indeed and I perfected it long ago. I'm feeling benevolent today and since you're asking so politely, I'm going to teach you and soon you'll be able to tell what happens in the anime based on a few seconds of footage just like me. First you have to see what's right in front of you, so pay attention.

I simply meant that it's impossible to tell how much they did or didn't help based on a few still images. There was more to the process that we didn't see, how do you know they didn't help then?

I caught up with the episodes and finally got to see this.

I gotta say that I loved this episode. I'm probably in the minority, but I thought this was fun. I liked it, and I was glad that Serena won her first key. Also, all those extra shipping tease AND Bonnie hinting at knowing about the ship was priceless.

I don't really see what's wrong with no battling or 'stereotypical girly activities'. So does every single pokemon competition has to involve battling? Serena wasn't a battler from the start of XY and she's still not a battler (though she's improved). Also, I don't really think there's anything wrong with stereotypical girly activities. Not every girl has to compete in a karate master division or beat up every single punk on the street. There are diverse girls with diverse hobbies and tastes on this planet and the so-called 'stereotypical girly stuff' is just one of those traits we see. The Kalos Queen performance just happens to be one of those competitions where girly girls can compete with the girly activities they enjoy. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Damn, showcases are dreadful to watch. I never thought I would say this, but I am really starting to miss contests. The fact showcases are only for girls, for whatever stupid reason, only make it considerably worse. How I wish Serena's goal involved fighting with her Pokémon or even something cool like researching them or whatever, instead of literally poor woman's contests.

Welp, at least we got to see Millefeui again.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom