• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY086: Photo Op on Fire! Snap the Legend!!

Meh. Ash doing something incredibly stupid and heroic like diving into a volcano to save his Pokemon is completely in character for him. The guy's impulsive, not always very smart, and cares a ton about his 'mons. He's been pulling heroically idiotic stunts like that since the first episode. And in the movies alone, he's been petrified, thrown from great heights, nearly drowned on several occasions, and a ton of other crazy stuff that I can't clearly recall at the moment... usually while being a big damn hero. Not to mention that the XY saga kicked off with him taking a dive off of Lumiose Tower to save Pikachu.

I largely agree with Hilbert's original post and I find the defensiveness of the responses hilarious to read. Just because you enjoyed the episode (btw so did I even though I felt the volcano jumping scene beggared belief) or you love the anime (so do I...) you don't need to get butthurt when someone else raises valid criticism!
Did you even consider that perhaps some of us aren't necessarily defending the episode but rather questioning a user's criticism of logic in an anime completely devoid of logic? No? Okay.

I suppose next time we should all make a huge rant about Ash and co not seeing through Team Rocket's silly disguises. I mean, it's a valid complaint, right?

Yeah this is the problem with Hilbert's criticism. The anime is devoid of logic because its setting is an imaginary world, so the only thing devoid of logic is the criticism on the nature of Anime when you know full well of the nature of the show. And most Anime hero (especially those with Magical/Mech world as setting) out there did even stupider stuff than this, wow blocking a bullet/magic bolt/missle for a girl is romantic and saving beloved Pokemon from danger recklessly is dumb, bonus points for double standards!

Don't argue with me that its romantic and the female character might be capable to beat the bad guy blah blah blah, don't forget the male character put himself in the middle of a battle and is helpless after taking the hit, the bad guy is just dumb and didn't choose to aim for him instead of the female lead. I know its not always the case that its a male save female cliche, they also do save best friends or teammates from dangers like these. That can cause extra burden for the character even if he/she can continue the fight. Its as reckless as jumping into volcano and risking both's life. I'd say Ash's chance of awaking Talonflame and both fly to safety is as high as a character winning a battle with a dead burden on him/her.

So I really want to ask you, if you think its a valid criticism, you mean that ALL these Anime should be criticized for this? Because so far i feel like you and Hilbert are directing this criticism to this one show alone. Mind explaining that?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot its not just Anime that has these problems, Disney movies and Hollywood also has this problem. So my new question is, are you criticizing ALL these films/shows together or this show alone? And explanation will be valued.

Last edited:
I largely agree with Hilbert's original post and I find the defensiveness of the responses hilarious to read. Just because you enjoyed the episode (btw so did I even though I felt the volcano jumping scene beggared belief) or you love the anime (so do I...) you don't need to get butthurt when someone else raises valid criticism!
Did you even consider that perhaps some of us aren't necessarily defending the episode but rather questioning a user's criticism of logic in an anime completely devoid of logic? No? Okay.

I suppose next time we should all make a huge rant about Ash and co not seeing through Team Rocket's silly disguises. I mean, it's a valid complaint, right?

Yeah this is the problem with Hilbert's criticism. The anime is devoid of logic because its setting is an imaginary world, so the only thing devoid of logic is the criticism on the nature of Anime when you know full well of the nature of the show. And most Anime hero (especially those with Magical/Mech world as setting) out there did even stupider stuff than this, wow blocking a bullet/magic bolt/missle for a girl is romantic and saving beloved Pokemon from danger recklessly is dumb, bonus points for double standards!

Don't argue with me that its romantic and the female character might be capable to beat the bad guy blah blah blah, don't forget the male character put himself in the middle of a battle and is helpless after taking the hit, the bad guy is just dumb and didn't choose to aim for him instead of the female lead. That can cause extra burden for the female character even if she can continue the fight. Its as reckless as jumping into volcano and risking both's life.

So I really want to ask you, if you think its a valid criticism, you mean that ALL these Anime should be criticized for this? Because so far i feel like you and Hilbert are directing this criticism to this one show alone. Mind explaining that?

Keep in mind that anything and everything can and will be criticized. It's an element of human life. To say "you shouldn't criticize because what you're criticizing lacks a certain amount of sense (The anime isn't entirely devoid of logic, otherwise it would be sheer baseless randomness and or stupidity)," makes no sense. Lol if that's the case, then there are A LOT of things in this world we shouldn't criticize, such as certain movies, novels, art pieces, cultures, etc etc etc.

Fictional animated shows, series and works can all be criticized (and are), even though they're fictitious and may lack the logic of reality. Thus, I don't understand why you all are even "questioning" such a concept.

And Mareepy it isn't a matter of should or shouldn't. You can criticize another anime for this particular aspect or anything else you feel like criticizing. Or you don't have to. We aren't dictating the rules of criticism for anything anime, which you're outlandishly implying. We're just commenting on a reckless action committed by a Pokemon character, in a Pokemon episode, on a Pokemon episode review thread, regarding the Pokemon anime, on a Pokemon forum, dedicated to conversations on all things Pokemon.

Complaining about how Ash throws himself in the face of danger and manages to get out alive every time really is moot at this point.

We've been seeing this since the first episode.

Last edited:
And Mareepy it isn't a matter of should or shouldn't. You can criticize another anime for this particular aspect or anything else you feel like criticizing. Or you don't have to. We aren't dictating the rules of criticism for anything anime, which you're outlandishly implying. We're just commenting on a reckless action committed by a Pokemon character, in a Pokemon episode, on a Pokemon episode review thread, regarding the Pokemon anime, on a Pokemon forum, dedicated to conversations on all things Pokemon.

I am sorry, the first rule of reviewing for me (and I think this applies to everyone that wants to give fair reviews) is no double standards. And yes, when I criticize a certain aspect in a show, it applies on all shows.

It doesn't matter if its commented on a reckless action committed by a Pokemon character, in a Pokemon episode, on a Pokemon episode review thread, regarding the Pokemon anime, on a Pokemon forum, dedicated to conversations on all things Pokemon. Its criticism on an aspect, a tv trope that is repeatedly used. So this criticism should apply to all.

I am sorry, the first rule of reviewing for me (and I think this applies to everyone that wants to give fair reviews) is no double standards. And yes, when I criticize a certain aspect in a show, it applies on all shows.

It doesn't matter if its commented on a reckless action committed by a Pokemon character, in a Pokemon episode, on a Pokemon episode review thread, regarding the Pokemon anime, on a Pokemon forum, dedicated to conversations on all things Pokemon. Its criticism on an aspect, a tv trope that is repeatedly used. So this criticism should apply to all.

Should being the key word- this is all is your opinion and not fact. However, I respect your criteria on anime criticism. Just like I would expect you respect mine. Anyways!

The bottom line is that there will be some that criticize (ii kanji & I and whomever else) and some that feel the need not to (you, Tsutarja, etc). If you don't agree or understand, then its best to ignore the post and move on. You know, instead of trying to shove your mentality down others throats.

Hinoyakoma's face while everyone else around it tries to be polite to Trova is just priceless.

hinoyakoma.png

Also I thought Kira Kira was an odd choice of an insert song. Why use Citron's image song for a Satoshi moment? At the same time, though, I can understand that everybody's sick of hearing V (Volt) every. single. time and that they probably just put it in there to help change things up.

Finally, watching Sonansu run is never *not* funny.

Why use Citron's image song for a Satoshi moment?
From what I read, KiraKira is written as a letter from Clemont to Ash, so in that case, it would make some sense.

Then again, they could use it for Serena too, so who knows.

Why use Citron's image song for a Satoshi moment?
From what I read, KiraKira is written as a letter from Clemont to Ash, so in that case, it would make some sense.

Then again, they could use it for Serena too, so who knows.

I guess it's because it's the best choice of song to put emphasis on friendship and overcoming hardships together (being reliable partners and such). While Kira Kira was indeed written as Citron's song, the lyrics itself are more based on the general theme of friendship rather than being Citron-specific.

But wow, I was pretty surprised to hear Kira Kira in the show now when it wasn't used back at Citron's gym or other previous Citron moments iirc.

I'd have thought Froakie's frubbles would have been more believable if he used them to make safe platforms on the lava, rather than the rope like thing. Though that really just serves to highlight Froakie using that to fill the gap Ash has not having a Pokemon that can use Vine Whip, which would be the go to move for achieving the outcome in past regions.

I like this episode being the way that Fletchinder evolved - rather than a mid-gym battle evolution. Though the anime makes me not like Talonflame's design - I was meh on it in the games, but I just really don't like its proportions.

I'm mixed on whether I like the direction that Charmeleon's appearance took - it seemed like they were drawing a strong parallel with Ash's one, but then that was resolved really easily with Ash just battling it out of it, rather than that being the bulk of the story. I think on balance it was best that way - but perhaps they could have found a different way to introduce Trevor and then given us a flashback of exactly how he saw Zapdos and Articuno.

All in, I liked the episode.

Forget Ash's volcano stunt. KiraKira was the worst part of this episode. It pulled a Quest for Camelot. If anyone wonders why I don't oppose the dub's practice of music changing, stuff like this is why. KiraKira completely killed the mood of Fletchinder's evolution for me. In fact, I heard there was a fan edit of the fight scene that muted that track. Here it is.

Other than that, though, this was an enjoyable episode. By this point, I'm used to Ash being a Leeroy Jenkins.

Last edited:
This episode was awesome, I love seeing a battle between two fire birds. Happy Satoshi has a Firerrow now.

Forget Ash's volcano stunt. KiraKira was the worst part of this episode. It pulled a Quest for Camelot. If anyone wonders why I don't oppose the dub's practice of music changing, stuff like this is why. KiraKira completely killed the mood of Fletchinder's evolution for me. In fact, I heard there was a fan edit of the fight scene that muted that track. Here it is.
But the dub's replacement music will not be better, it will most likely be their boring music or quiet sounds (like usual). At least Kira Kira is upbeat that it draws you to the scene of the evolution and battle, despite it being a weird song choice, a really great and catchy song mind you, but a strange one to play during an action moment.

Last edited:
Nah, the dub's replacement music won't be better. It will most likely be some boring music or quiet sounds like usual. At least KiraKira is upbeat that it draws you into the scene of the evolution and battle, despite it being a weird song choice. ....Actually I loved KiraKira playing when Hinoyakoma evolved, I don't care if it was odd.

Let's wait and see about that.

I'm glad KiraKira didn't distract you like it did me.

But the dub's replacement music will not be better, it will most likely be their boring music or quiet sounds (like usual). At least Kira Kira is upbeat that it draws you to the scene of the evolution and battle, despite it being a weird song choice, a really great and catchy song mind you, but a strange one to play during an action moment.

Even TPCI's instrumental version of their intro - which they rarely use - isn't good enough for an awesome scene.

Also that video is not a "fan edit", the up-loader muted the track for copyright reasons (it's the only way you can upload it on Youtube) they weren't trying to 'improve on the scene', which it doesn't by the way. I mean how can anyone call that better? I got bored watching it, without any upbeat music the entire scene has lost its epic feel.

Last edited:

Even TPCI's instrumental version of their intro - which they rarely use - isn't good enough for an awesome scene.

Also that video is not a "fan edit", the up-loader muted the track for copyright reasons (it's the only way you can upload it on Youtube) they weren't trying to 'improve on the scene', which it doesn't by the way. I mean how can anyone call that better? I got bored watching it, without any upbeat music the entire scene has lost its epic feel.

I've come to realize that was the case. Youtube copyright policy is wonky and hypocritical in general (they won't allow that image song, but they'll allow the scene in question?).

As I explained, I found the edit better because I felt that part as it originally was made the same mistake Quest for Camelot made with "The Prayer." I didn't feel like it fit. You did, and that's okay with me. I just hope it's okay with you that I didn't, or if somehow someone else also felt that way.

I didn't feel like it fit. You did, and that's okay with me. I just hope it's okay with you that I didn't, or if somehow someone else also felt that way.
Uh, where did I say "it fitted"?. All I said was the upbeat music brought you in, but I still called it a weird choice.

The sound of the music was good for the scene, but the song itself was not really suitable for an action scenario.

I thought Ash jumping over the lava was less wtf than him jumping off the building in the 2nd XY episode. At least this time he had a Pokemon he knew could bail him out, or Clemont could have saved him with the Aipom arm. I think it would have been better if he had said "Frogadier, catch me" or suchlike before he jumped though.

The wackiness seemed really cranked up in this episode, almost like OS or AG. I loved that fast-forward bit with Trevor, that really seemed like something from early seasons. I hope we don't have to wait too long to see more of him.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom