• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY086: Photo Op on Fire! Snap the Legend!!

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
XY086 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Discuss the episode here.

Here is my summary of the episode.

The episode starts with Ash and co. running into Trevor.

Trevor reveals to Ash and co. that his Charmander has evolved into a Charmeleon.

Ash and Trevor decide to have a battle against eachother.

Ash sends out his Fletchinder and Trevor sends out his Charmeleon.

Ash uses his Fletchinder in the battle and Trevor uses his Charmeleon in the battle.

The battle starts between Ash and Trevor.

Trevor's Charmeleon charges towards Ash's Fletchinder while using Dragon Claw.

Fletchinder dodges the attack.

Charmeleon then attacks with Flamethrower.

Fletchinder uses Razor Wind.

Charmeleon is now defeated.

Ash has won the battle against Trevor.

Ash and co. (including Trevor) stop at a nearby spot and have some food.

Ash remembers when he met Trevor and his friends, Tierno and Shauna back at the Pokemon Summer Camp.

There is a flashback of the Pokemon Summer Camp.

Trevor mentions to the others that he is looking for Moltres.

He then tells the others that he has already taken a picture of a Articuno and a Zapdos.

Clemont explains to Ash, Serena and Bonnie about Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno.

Trevor shows the others his photos that he has taken of Zapdos and Articuno.

He also shows Ash and co. some photos of some Scatterbug.

Trevor goes on for a long time talking to the others about his photos.

He also tells the others that he wants to become a Pokemon Photo Collector.

Ash and co. then go off in search for the Moltres that Trevor believes to be nearby.

Team Rocket are spying on Ash and co.

Ash and co. are now climbing Mt. Andres, the mountain where Trevor believes Moltres lives.

Trevor is using a photo of his to try and find where exactly Moltres is.

Clemont laughs then reveals an invention which will help Trevor to find Moltres.

Meanwhile, a fiery figure is shown.

The Pokemon Quiz: Moltres.

Ash and co. are still trying to find Moltres.

Trevor sees a nearby Crustle and jumps down from the cliff he is on to where the Cruslte is, to photograph it.

Trevor photographs the Crustle.

Trevor then sees a Buttefree flying nearby, so he takes a photo of it.

He keeps zooming in closer onto the the Buttefree's antennas, with every photo he takes.

Team Rocket come by Clemont's invention.

Clemont's invention then goes on a rampage and chases Ash and co.

The invention ends up exploding.

Ash and co. run into Team Rocket and then they have a battle with them.

Team Rocket capture Pikachu into a round ball shaped case.

Jessies sends out her Gourgeist and James sends out his Inkay.

Trevor takes a photo of Gourgeist and Inkay.

Gourgeist and Inkay keep firing attacks towards Fletchinder, but Fletchinder dodges the attacks.

One of the attacks knocks a boulder into the nearby volcano on Mt. Andres.

The boulder causes a Pokemon who is inside to come out and it is the Moltres that Trevor has been searching for.

Ash and co, and Team Rocket then go closer towards the volcano's perimeter, near the volcanic lava inside of it.

Ash sends out his Frogadier.

Team Rocket battle the Moltres, but defeats Gourgeist and Inkay.

Charmeleon attacks Team Rocket with Flamethrower.

Team Rocket blast off.

Fletchinder now battles against the Moltres.

Fletchinder keeps getting badly hurt while it battles Moltres.

Trevor orders his Charmeleon to try and use Flamethrower on Moltres.

Moltres sends a Fire Type attack towards Fletchinder.

Fletchinder takes the attack and then it starts to glow light blue.

Fletchinder is evolving.

Fletchinder has now evolved into a Talonflame.

Ash is both surprised and excited to see that his Fletchinder has evolved into a Talonflame.

Talonflame uses a new move, Brave Bird.

Clemont tells Ash what the move is called.

Talonflame then uses Brave Bird as it flies towards the Moltres.

Moltres attacks Talonflame and then Talonflame starts falling towards the volcanic lava inside the volcano that is below it.

Ash jumps towards Talonflame in order to catch it.

Ash grabs onto Talonflame and then Talonflame looks at Ash.

Ash's Frogadier throws a string of Frubbles to grab onto Ash and Talonflame.

Frogadier's Frubbles wraps around Ash and Talonflame and then pulls them back up towards the edge of the volcano, where it and the others are.

Ash, Frogadier, Pikachu and Talonflame are all happy.

To be continued.

Before anybody makes conclusions about Trevor being in the League because he earned a badge, remember that Burgundy won the Trio Badge from Chili, and she never took part in the Unova League.

Trevor may or may not participate in the Kalos League. The writers will ultimately chart his path.

Before anybody makes conclusions about Trevor being in the League because he earned a badge, remember that Burgundy won the Trio Badge from Chili, and she never took part in the Unova League.

Trevor may or may not participate in the Kalos League. The writers will ultimately chart his path.

Well, remember, in Burgundy's case, she was mostly interested in getting revenge against Cilan from her overly exaggerated "humiliating" defeat. That was the only reason why she re-challenged the Gym, only to learn that he had already left, so she had to battle Chili instead. She instead became a connoisseur (I can't spell the female equivalent...) out of spite and revenge. But your point is valid, as not everyone who wins a badge or two ultimately enters the league. Sometimes they challenge Gyms to gain a fuller experience, as getting a badge doesn't always mean the league is the main goal. So Trevor could very well end up in the stadium as a observer instead of a participant. It all boils down to what the writers will decide over time.

Anyway, wow, talk about a heated battle, pun intended. And the battle between Charmeleon and Fletchinder was... rather short. One Razor Wind was enough to KO it? At least the battle between Fletchinder and Moltres was better. And it looks like it was TRio's fault messing with Clemont's gizmo this time that sent it out of control. I guess Moltres doesn't like anyone "littering" in its volcano, as it looked pretty miffed after the mech fell in. Geez, Ash, don't jump into a volcano like that. If Frogadier wasn't there, both he and Talonflame would be extra crispy from the inside out. But, then again, this is Ash we're talking about. No matter the risk, he'll willingly sacrifice his own hide for his Pokemon. I can only image what Serena was thinking at that time. And is it just me, or is Ash's Talonflame larger than the last one? The last one (I forgot the name of the girl who owned it) could perch on her arm like a regular falcon, but Ash's was as high as his chest, if not a bit more. Either it's size inconsistency with the species or they want Ash's to have a "bigger" presence so his is larger. Or, another option is that the Sky Trainer's Talonflame was just smaller than normal, like Ash's Noctowl. Who knows? I found that "high wing" rather cute at the end (when you don't have hands to high five, you improvise). Most of this review I'm getting from screenshots, as I'll actually need to watch the episode to get a full grip of the events. But I say it was a good way for Fletchinder to shine even more.

EDIT: Correction on my part. Fletchinder landed both a Flame Charge and Steel Wing on Charmeleon, not Razor Wind (at all, for that matter). Serebii's collection of screenshots tend to skip a few scenes at times, so I misinterpreted the Fletchinder/Charmeleon battle a bit. My mistake. So at least it made the battle more interesting then, though it was still somewhat short.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that Pikachu and Dedenne recognized Trevor's Charmeleon. Omg what is it with this dude firing flames and everybody. Looks like he hasn't changed much since the Summer Camp. Nice battle between him and Fletchinder even though it was short and Charmeleon went down pretty quickly. I'm just glad, Fletchinder won.

Wow so first Tierno, now Trevor's complimenting Serena on her new appearance. Damn, why the hell was that dude talking super fast? Lol, that was hilarious. And lol at Clemont's expression while they were walking. Oh boy, another invention. I'm guessing it's supposed to find Moltres (Please don't blow up). I love how that Crustle just keep casually walking away even with some kid screaming behind him. Trevor's photo spamming was hilarious.

Well, the bad news is that the invention blew up. The good news is that it wasn't caused by Clemont, it wasn't completely destroyed, AND it blew up in TR's annoying faces. Omg, Clemont's face at seeing his damaged creation. Holy crap, I didn't expect the thing to fall in the lava! Geez, why was Ash just playing the dodge game with TR? I was sitting there just waiting for Fletchinder to attack, but he never did. Whatever, seeing Moltres blast them into space was a nice make up for it. I like how Bonnie went to Serena for protection right before Moltres appeared.

I like how Pikachu and Trevor were pulling Ash back from trying to go to Fletchinder. And damn, Fletchinder's evolution was amazing. He flew at the speed up a bullet to match the speed of Moltres's Flamethrower just to try to save Ash. That was amazing and probably the best evolution ever. Talonflame was so badass taking on Moltres. But let's not leave out Ash diving into the volcano to catch him after Moltres's Fire Bast and MVP Frogadier saving them both with frubbles. Lol at Pikachu scolding Ash afterwards.

This episode was awesome. 9/10.

Well, I can provide clarifications for a few things.

Charmeleon Flamethrowing Trevor is more like a tease than disobedient, and Charmeleon repeatedly Flamethrowing at Ash and co. is a signal for challenge, like the white gloves in Battle Chateau, and it took a while for Trevor to figure it out.

First off the battle between Charmeleon and Fletcheinder, its extremely one sided but I am OK with that. With that said, I saw a Fletcheinder role-playing a ninja, that Steel Wing is a carbon copy of what Frogadier did to Treecko.

Trevor's explanation on the Scatterbug photo is hilarious. The different angle on the *cough* antenna *cough* is the main difference of the picture? I thought the smile was more meaningful, I'd take the one with Scatterbug smiling any time of the day lol.

Team Rocket is here to advance the plot! Nothing more and less, I am happy they blasted off very fast as we really don't need them in the screen after Moltres appears.

Moltres is too hot and vapourises Water Pulse in seconds, such OP much wow. Charmeleon's Flamethrower makes it clear that shooting Fire or Water isn't an option as it will not work. Ash do have 3 fliers, but who cares? This episode belongs to the Fire Bird and I am happy that all the focus is on him.

That evolution animation is F A N T A S T I C. And Fletcheinder blocked the Fire Blast like a BOSS. And what move do we all want to see Talonflame has? I think its Brave Bird.. but nah it wont happen.... or it aready did! *throws confetti*

Ash jumping into the volcano and here is the thing I would like to point out, with Frogadier using Frubble to make a rope to save Ash and Talonflame, I want to say that even Frogadier stays as Frogadier, I can imagine 100 scenarios that a Grovyle, Sceptile or even Mega Sceptile getting their ass kicked and can hardly imagine one where Frogadier loses. I already said that Frubbles are too OP in the Chespin and Bunnelby episode, its basically the universal solution to everything.

High five are outdated, lets do high wings!

14/10, I gave high marks to 3 episode in a row! Well done XY!

I know I shouldn't be surprised or upset with nonsensical events that take place in the anime because...it's the anime. But seriously, today's episode took everyone to whole new level of stupidity.

To start, Ash & Co are reunited with their friend Trevor. How do you ask? By his Charmeleon unapologetically firing off Flamethrowers for no reason. Flamethrowers for Pikachu, Flamethrowers for Dedenne, Flamethrowers for the entire human cast. We're immediately subjected to the "Trainer's lost Pokemon finds heroes before Trainer does" cliche and Trevor does absolutely nothing to stop Charmeleon's dangerous attacks. Attacks that could essentially give his friends 3rd degree burns. No reprimanding, no calling back to its Pokeball, nothing. It initially seems that Trevor has done effectively nothing to curb this behavior since its Charmander stage (and no one calls him out on this!)-yet he's had plenty of time to hunt down Zapdos and Aritcuno for the autographs.

It gets better though. Ash & Co decide to head up with Trevor to a live volcano to get the last picture of Moltres. Is that exactly the safest idea? Especially with 7-9 year old Bonnie? No? Great! The gang continues anyway in what eventually leads into the meeting with Moltres. Bonnie is immediately and visibly frightened, clinging to Serena, instead of her brother, for dear life, however everyone takes it in stride. They wait long enough for the legendary bird to start firing Flamethrowers, though in all fairness TR had provoked it and its home was being littered with junk, and everyone hides behind rocks.

For some reason Ash decides to battle it (I say some reason because the writers are so inconsistent with having Ash either talk down the Pokemon of the day or battling it). Now, you would think he would tell his friends to run, or they would think of it themselves, while he distracts the legendary being that is the epitome of fire in a battle he knows he cannot win.

Nope.

They all decide to stay and look on in awe, apparently waiting to meet their fiery ends. Poor Bonnie-this is not what she signed up for. Oh and bonus doofus points to Trevor who commanded his Charmeleon to use Flamethrower of all moves on Moltres. Just stick to your day job kid (in which you are still inferior to Scott).

Then in what is most the incredulous event in the episode, and one of the most in the anime's history, Ash impulsively rushes out into a live volcano filled with magma to save his fallen Talonflame...WTH? Did he think he was going to survive? What was he trying to prove? He could have died! That's it, end of the Pokemon series as we know it. And his legacy would be a scarred Serena, Bonnie and Clemont, who all last saw their friend jump head first into a volcano and die.

1) You could have just re-called the thing in his Pokeball! Less "epic," sure but the scene was so devoid of common sense that it honestly wouldn't have mattered.

2) Pokemon have some resistance to their respective elements. Even if Talonflame would have fell into the magma, it would have been okay initially to some degree. Cue Frogadier or, again, your Pokeball to recall your Pokemon.

*Cue Frogadier ex-machina*

Ash is saved and is only briefly reprimanded for his actions. Very briefly. Just look at Pikachu-one minute,it angrily calls out Ash's name while the next second it's as happy as a Rattata with cheese. No one else says anything, despite Ash almost dying. And Moltres decides to spare the group, apparently that impressed with human stupidity.

I just couldn't with this episode. Fletchinder vs Charmeleon and the birds evolution was very cool and fun, but the episode as a whole was very silly and lackluster to me in plot, execution and overall common freaking sense.

I know I shouldn't be surprised or upset with nonsensical events that take place in the anime because...it's the anime. But seriously, today's episode took everyone to whole new level of stupidity.

To start, Ash & Co are reunited with their friend Trevor. How do you ask? By his Charmeleon unapologetically firing off Flamethrowers for no reason. Flamethrowers for Pikachu, Flamethrowers for Dedenne, Flamethrowers for the entire human cast. We're immediately subjected to the "Trainer's lost Pokemon finds heroes before Trainer does" cliche and Trevor does absolutely nothing to stop Charmeleon's dangerous attacks. Attacks that could essentially give his friends 3rd degree burns. No reprimanding, no calling back to its Pokeball, nothing. It initially seems that Trevor has done effectively nothing to curb this behavior since its Charmander stage (and no one calls him out on this!)-yet he's had plenty of time to hunt down Zapdos and Aritcuno for the autographs.

It gets better though. Ash & Co decide to head up with Trevor to a live volcano to get the last picture of Moltres. Is that exactly the safest idea? Especially with 7-9 year old Bonnie? No? Great! The gang continues anyway in what eventually leads into the meeting with Moltres. Bonnie is immediately and visibly frightened, clinging to Serena, instead of her brother, for dear life, however everyone takes it in stride. They wait long enough for the legendary bird to start firing Flamethrowers, though in all fairness TR had provoked it and its home was being littered with junk, and everyone hides behind rocks.

For some reason Ash decides to battle it (I say some reason because the writers are so inconsistent with having Ash either talk down the Pokemon of the day or battling it). Now, you would think he would tell his friends to run, or they would think of it themselves, while he distracts the legendary being that is the epitome of fire in a battle he knows he cannot win.

Nope.

They all decide to stay and look on in awe, apparently waiting to meet their fiery ends. Poor Bonnie-this is not what she signed up for. Oh and bonus doofus points to Trevor who commanded his Charmeleon to use Flamethrower of all moves on Moltres. Just stick to your day job kid (in which you are still inferior to Scott).

Then in what is most the incredulous event in the episode, and one of the most in the anime's history, Ash impulsively rushes out into a live volcano filled with magma to save his fallen Talonflame...WTH? Did he think he was going to survive? What was he trying to prove? He could have died! That's it, end of the Pokemon series as we know it. And his legacy would be a scarred Serena, Bonnie and Clemont, who all last saw their friend jump head first into a volcano and die.

1) You could have just re-called the thing in his Pokeball! Less "epic," sure but the scene was so devoid of common sense that it honestly wouldn't have mattered.

2) Pokemon have some resistance to their respective elements. Even if Talonflame would have fell into the magma, it would have been okay initially to some degree. Cue Frogadier or, again, your Pokeball to recall your Pokemon.

Ash is saved and is only briefly reprimanded for his actions. Very briefly. Just look at Pikachu-one minute,it angrily calls out Ash's name while the next second it's as happy as a Rattata with cheese. No one else says anything, despite Ash almost dying. And Moltres decides to spare the group, apparently that impressed with human stupidity.

I just couldn't with this episode. Fletchinder vs Charmeleon and the birds evolution was very cool and fun, but the episode as a whole was very silly and lackluster to me in plot, execution and overall common freaking sense.
Just curious...is this your first time watching Pokemon anime?

Because this has always happened and will always happen. If things like that bother you, then you might as well quit this anime. I mean seriously, you might as well wonder why Ash is still ten years old, how Clemont manages to built such incredible devices in less than a minute without any parts, how come these electric moves don't kill Team Rocket? How the hell have Team Rocket trio managed to go without a single broken bone after 20 years of all those blast-offs? Ash shouldn't even be alive right now, statistically speaking, given how many times he has risked his life and has done incredibly stupid, life-threading things.

I strongly disagree.

Seriously? Do you NOT remember Iris and Dragonite. Iris didn't get reprimanded AT ALL and there were more people, and 2 champions. Besides Charmeleon's problem is that it wanted to battle.

It gets better though. Ash & Co decide to head up with Trevor to a live volcano to get the last picture of Moltres. Is that exactly the safest idea? Especially with 7-9 year old Bonnie? No? Great!
What? Seriously why is this SUDDENLY a problem, man you must be in a bad mood for whatever reason, there have been worse things happening to Bonnie then traveling to a volcano.

He battles it because it attack them without any warning. .

Oh and bonus doofus points to Trevor who commanded his Charmeleon to use Flamethrower of all moves on Moltres. Just stick to your day job kid (in which you are still inferior to Scott).
Really now, I mean seriously, I think at this point you really had a bad day and are taking it out on the episode. Charmeleon's ONLY ranged attacks are fire types. Do you think its honestly more intelligent for CHARMELEON to jump across a volcano and a low speed JUST fast enough to hit Moltres a FLYING Pokemon with Dragon Claw? No of course not. Clearly flamethrower was the best option given the circumstances.

Of course it's impulsive, Ash reacts without thinking, he's done this so many times before, how is this a surprise. He's jumped in rapidly moving water. He's jumped off very high heights. What did you expect Ash to survive the fall off of Prism Tower in THE 2nd episode of the XY series? What?

[quote[
1) You could have just re-called the thing in his Pokeball! Less "epic," sure but the scene was so devoid of common sense that it honestly wouldn't have mattered.[/quote] As we've seen Poke balls are not perfect, Ash didn't want to risk failing, nor was it even a thought. Something you care about like part of your family is likely going to die and hoping you press the button at the right moment. It would be like criticizing a parent for jumping in front of a moving vehicle to save their child when the baseball in their hand, MIGHT be able to hit the driver causing him to swerve out of the way.

Logically speaking in terms of what I see in Pokemon, Dragon Ball and most animated shows, even live shows, there needs to be a conscious effort to be immune or resistant. If you aren't conscious as Talonflame wasn't, of COURSE you're going to be VERY weak to things that otherwise not effective.

Seems like you wanted Ash to die. Wow, I mean really. This is the Pokemon anime for crying outloud, if you aren't somehow constantly surprised by all the times Team Rocket survives being blasted off, not sure HOW you can be surprised by this episode.

You can argue that it was "stupid" but it was still brave, I'm sure most people wouldn't go to great lengths and would rather shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well, nice knowing you"

Ash had to save Talonflame the way he did, because it was the ONLY way to resolve the issue with Moltres, because Ash went to great lengths to save his Pokemon.

What WOULD any other situation do? He recalls Talonflame to the Poke ball. RIP Ash and group.

Use Frogadier to save Talonflame? RIP Ash and group.

Ash saving Talonflame showed Moltres that Ash and company were not the enemies, had Ash not did what he did, there would've been no reasonable nor any logical resolution to the episode except their deaths.

Just curious...is this your first time watching Pokemon anime?

Because this has always happened and will always happen. If things like that bother you, then you might as well quit this anime. I mean seriously, you might as well wonder why Ash is still ten years old, how Clemont manages to built such incredible devices in less than a minute without any parts, how come these electric moves don't kill Team Rocket? How the hell have Team Rocket trio managed to go without a single broken bone after 20 years of all those blast-offs? Ash shouldn't even be alive right now, statistically speaking, given how many times he has risked his life and has done incredibly stupid, life-threading things.

No it's not. If you read my first comment, it implied that I've seen the anime before. While we're at it, I've seen every episode of the series so far, understand all the illogical aspects of said series and am fully aware scenarios like this have happened before. I just happened to comment on this specific aspect. I make one post and you're telling me to quit the anime?...Anyway!

Secondly, for the most part it doesn't bother me actually. Otherwise, you would see similar comments for every instance of impossible things done in the anime (as you've so obviously stated) in other posts, and that's even if I stayed on this forum at all. This episode in particular just stood out to me, thus I gave my response. So calm down.

I strongly disagree.

As for dman_dustin, I'm not going to get into it with you lol. I love how one stray opinion warrants such a harsh response and that you feel the need to get defensive over a topic that didn't even regard you. I'm perfectly aware of everything you've pointed out, as I mentioned earlier to Tsutarja. Additionally, just because I happen to note inconsistencies within this episode does not mean I am oblivious to the inconsistencies of the series. So please don't assume this preconception of me based off one post (as well as anyone for that matter). I get it; you loved this episode, thought Ash was brave and weren't fazed by any of the incredulous events that happened. Great! A simple and respectful "I disagree because..." would suffice.

I get it; you loved this episode, thought Ash was brave and weren't fazed by any of the incredulous events that happened.
LOL, Ash may have been brave, but he was incredibly stupid and reckless in this episode as well.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me defending this episode, it's me wondering why you'd complain about stuff like this when sth similar happens in every single episode.

Also, no one told you to drop this anime, I merely said that if stuff like that always bothers then you might as well not watch it. For a person who is supposedly aware of the fact that Pokemon anime has ALWAYS been like this, you sure as hell act as if this is something new for this show. That's pretty much it.

I get it; you loved this episode, thought Ash was brave and weren't fazed by any of the incredulous events that happened.
LOL, Ash may have been brave, but he was incredibly stupid and reckless in this episode as well.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me defending this episode, it's me wondering why you'd complain about stuff like this when sth similar happens in every single episode.

Also, no one told you to drop this anime, I merely said that if stuff like that always bothers then you might as well not watch it. For a person who is supposedly aware of the fact that Pokemon anime has ALWAYS been like this, you sure as hell act as if this is something new for this show. That's pretty much it.

That was directed to dman_dustin, but that was my point anyway! Apparently its taboo here to comment negatively on Ash's recklessness, regardless if it's a norm or not.

And you said "I might as well quit it," which more or less is the same thing (but fair enough, it's not). And I don't see how my post is "something new for this show?" How then are you suppose to act when you call out disparity/impossible actions in the anime while conveying that you've seen said disparity before? Should I put a disclaimer next time to make it easier for people? *Note, before reading this post I am fully aware crap like this goes on in this anime. Yet I'm going to comment on it anyway*

Last edited:
Guys, stop fighting. Things like this happen all the time in the anime because it's part of the status quo. It's very likely that Ash will make another reckless action in the near future, so deal with it. At least his stupidity isn't like it was in Best Wishes.

Besides, I have seen other heroes act recklessly and win (eg: jumping into a bottomless pit for his friends, and taking control of the world he is in). You're acting like Ash is the only one who does all this.

As for dman_dustin, I'm not going to get into it with you lol. I love how one stray opinion warrants such a harsh response and that you feel the need to get defensive over a topic that didn't even regard you. I'm perfectly aware of everything you've pointed out, as I mentioned earlier to Tsutarja. Additionally, just because I happen to note inconsistencies within this episode does not mean I am oblivious to the inconsistencies of the series. So please don't assume this preconception of me based off one post (as well as anyone for that matter). I get it; you loved this episode, thought Ash was brave and weren't fazed by any of the incredulous events that happened. Great! A simple and respectful "I disagree because..." would suffice.

No my problem is with the idea that somehow this is the Worst episode that ever existed because in your mind, as I interpret your post as the worst examples of the norm within the anime, when to me that their other things are either more severe or equally so.

That's my problem with your post.

You argued the episode doesn't make sense, I was trying to explain why it made sense. Thus confusion as to why somehow this was a big deal.

Charmeleon is not disobedient, its like Ash's Charizard who likes to burn Ash just for fun. As for Flamethrowing the group, you do realize the Flamethrowers are lack of range to actually harm Ash and co. and except the first Flamethrower all are at height that cant hit Pikachu and Dedenne? And Trevor did try to stop Charmeeon, he doesn't even undertstand why Charmeleon is acting like this, Ash suggested it might be signalling for battle, and Trevor asked Charmeleon and Charmeleon confirms that.

Provided that situation, having your back against such enemy is even more stupid, I do agree on retreating but buying time is totally needed, either way Pokemon had to be battling Moltres. It could have been Ash battling Moltres whle others run away, but its the Anime so the group stays a group.

1. Attacks are slowed down in scenes, Fire Blast never is or was slow. I think you should go dodge one before complaining about Ash and co. failing one.

2. Trevor's Charmeleon, as pointed out, don't have any other ranged move, maybe next time teach your Charmeleon Hydro Pump eh?

1. The red light of recall can miss, we already seen that multiple times, ofcourse Ash hadn't thought it through, but thats seriously what anyone will do provided one they care is in serious danger. Anyone can be unhappy with his action but NO ONE can say its wrong, that includes you. dman_dustin gave a great example of this.

It would be like criticizing a parent for jumping in front of a moving vehicle to save their child when the baseball in their hand, MIGHT be able to hit the driver causing him to swerve out of the way.

2. And as pointed out, if not Ash's action it will be the end of the group, using Frogadier for the save is an option that in the end of the day do not resolve the situation. Impressed by Ash's love for Pokemon or stupidity, Moltres decided to not attack Ash and co. anymore, so Ash action, in result, is better than any you stated.

Things like this happen all the time in the anime because it's part of the status quo. It's very likely that Ash will make another reckless action in the near future, so deal with it. At least his stupidity isn't like it was in Best Wishes.

I understand Ash has done and will do reckless things in this show. That doesn't mean I can't comment on it regardless.

Besides, I have seen other heroes act recklessly and win (eg: jumping into a bottomless pit for his friends, and taking control of the world he is in). You're acting like Ash is the only one who does all this.

No, I'm not-like I stated several times before. I think you should re-read my posts (or read them if you haven't). Additionally, my comments wouldn't change for the review of today's episode if it were any other main character who leaped over the magma.

No my problem is with the idea that somehow this is the Worst episode that ever existed because in your mind, as I interpret your post as the worst examples of the norm within the anime, when to me that their other things are either more severe or equally so.

That's my problem with your post.

You argued the episode doesn't make sense, I was trying to explain why it made sense. Thus confusion as to why somehow this was a big deal.

Again, I think you're taking this more seriously than intended. And you were not trying to explain-you were viciously attacking my opinion and by extent, myself. There's a difference. The hostility was unprovoked and unnecessary.
Furthermore, that's cool you have a different opinion that there are more ludicrous elements in the anime than what was presented in the episode today. Just don't attack others trying to convey it.

Nobody cares about Eureka's new voice in the preview?

That'd be a topic for next episode's preview thread tbh.

Before I get into any discussion of my thoughts on the episode I want to mention that just like any text you study in a literature class, the idea of suspending disbelief is important for the anime, and that should be fairly obvious by now. If you start complaining about things that don't make sense in the real world or conflict with social values (like the whole Showcase saga) then you flat out miss the point of the episode.

In any case, a very nice episode in my eyes. I always find it funny that Ash defaults to "maybe it wants to battle" in these circumstances, it's more of a "trust Ash" thing than anything. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought that animation they used for the start of their battle was meant to be some subtle gay marriage support/promotion. :p Fletchinder definitely showed her (I think it's a she, well, if the comparisons to Moira's Talonflame's voice is anything to go by) strength in taking out Charmeleon, that spinning Steel Wing to block Flamethrower brought me back to the DP days. The scenes afterwards were hilarious when Trevor's going on his tangents about the photos. His voice starts speeding up and everyone's going "bruh...".

This is the thing about TRio in most XY episodes where something important happens. While I'd prefer they weren't in the episode because they're annoying and can be completely useless, a lot of the things in the plot wouldn't happen without them. Think back to when Fletchling evolved to Fletchinder, that battle never would have happened had TRio not tried to steal Talonflame and it saw how determined Fletchling was. In that respect I was OK with them, but the fact that they thought they could catch Moltres was ridiculous, it's not like regular trainers have Leg- oh wait, Tobias, never mind...

The battle between Fletchinder and Moltres was great. I loved the echo you could hear behind Moltres' cry and when it used it's moves, it sounded so damn menacing. Fletchinder got sniped by that Flamethrower. You could just hear the desperation and worry in Ash's voice at that moment. The choice of KiraKira for the insert song was fantastic, I felt like it fit the situation more, showing off how much Talonflame and Ash care for each other, reciprocated in their actions (blocking a Flamethrower and jumping into a volcano to protect the other, which really scared Serena, lol). Thank based Pikachu that Talonflame got Brave Bird, I couldnt stand Peck, lol. Frogadier The Lord to the rescue! I loved the photo of them at the end where we had the initial XY trio of Pikachu, Frogadier and Talonflame, or as I like to call it the "OP Sector" of his team. Now just evolve already Frogadier!

Strong episode, great evolution. Can't wait to see more of Talonflame.

Line of the episode goes to Pikachu for his frustrated "Pika Pi!!" when Satoshi is bizarrely saved from a roasting in a volcano.

I largely agree with Hilbert's original post and I find the defensiveness of the responses hilarious to read. Just because you enjoyed the episode (btw so did I even though I felt the volcano jumping scene beggared belief) or you love the anime (so do I...) you don't need to get butthurt when someone else raises valid criticism!

I largely agree with Hilbert's original post and I find the defensiveness of the responses hilarious to read. Just because you enjoyed the episode (btw so did I even though I felt the volcano jumping scene beggared belief) or you love the anime (so do I...) you don't need to get butthurt when someone else raises valid criticism!
Did you even consider that perhaps some of us aren't necessarily defending the episode but rather questioning a user's criticism of logic in an anime completely devoid of logic? No? Okay.

I suppose next time we should all make a huge rant about Ash and co not seeing through Team Rocket's silly disguises. I mean, it's a valid complaint, right?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom