• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY091: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TryPokaron Tournament!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

According to Anime News Network' translation about Serena in the TV Tokyo's Pokemon XY& Z website:
Serena: Dreams of being a Pokémon Performer, and currently holds the rank of Rookie in the Pokémon Showcase. She wants to reach Master Class and aims to be the Kalos Queen.
As this summary is set upon the episode XY090, it truely seems that Serena will lose this Showcase.
Does rookie mean she has 1 key?
What rank is Musashi? :bawl: Will she enter this contest or no?!

I think Jessie can't compete because she doesn't have any Princess Key in order to show up as a contestant like Shauna and Serena in the Second-Stage competitions.
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

To be honest that really doesn't prove she's losing. The Dendemille Showcase was a Rookie Class Showcase (which also extends to Coumarine), so all that is saying is that she hasn't got all three keys, which even if she wins here she won't have anyway.

Well I think it does. Right now Serena has only one Princess Key, which was given to her because she won a Rookie Class tournament. If she manages to win the Anistar City Pokémon Showcase too, she will have two Keys, one from Rookie Class and another from, I don't know, maybe Intermediate Class? Therefore she'll no longer hold the rank of Rookie as the summary says.

I was under the impression Serena would lose this one, but it's good to have confirmation. Not that I'm happy with the news, I would prefer to see her winning this one and then losing the next, which would be the third class of Pokémon Showcases, meaning the Performers competing there would be much more talented and skilled, a tough competition for Serena.

I'm genuinely curious about the names of the other classes. You'd think the rank of the Anistar Showcase would have been revealed by now but nope. There's a gallery on Vogue about a beauty trend scale, it goes Rookie → Apprentice → IntermediateAdvanced → Accomplished → Master. They could use something like this, I would be fine with the italicized words. Or maybe they'll just use Super/Great and Hyper/Ultra from in-game Contests.

I just don't understand. I thought that rookie class tripokalons were stage 0 where you didn't have anything?

I believe that any (including those that don't have any Princess keys) can participate in the Rookie ones, but for the Master one you need 3 to participate.

I just don't understand. I thought that rookie class tripokalons were stage 0 where you didn't have anything?

That's correct, the Rookie Class is for Performers that are just starting out. The summary says Serena currently holds the rank of Rookie, indicating she has already won the Rookie Class Princess Key. It doesn't mean she is still trying to win a Rookie Class tournament.

Ahh, no. You shouldn't be called a Rookie because you've won a Rookie Class Showcase, you move up a rank once you win one if this was like in-game Contests. You're a Rookie if you compete in a Rookie Class Showcase. I'd assume what the summary has mentioned means that all non-Master Class Showcases are considered Rookie Class, not just the first one you need to win.

----

I have a little more time on my hands to make a more detailed response so I might as well do it. Hopefully no one replies while I'm doing this... again... -_-

Ok so if we're stipulating that each Princess Key you win means you go up a rank and the ranks have certain names, as Mikuri has said, and using the "Rank 0" thing that kanji brought up, this is what I'm saying:

Rank 0 = Rookie Class Performer (what Serena was in Coumarine and Dendemille)
Rank 1 = Intermediate Class Performer (what Serena and Shauna are now)
Rank 2 = Advanced Class Performer
Rank 3 = Master Class Performer
Rank 4 = Kalos Queen

Here, the rank number indicates Showcases won. Ergo, Rank 3 indicates three Princess Keys have been won, allowing said Performer to enter the Master Class Showcase to become Kalos Queen. Rank 4 indicates that you've won the Master Class Showcase and are the Kalos Queen. You can't be a Rookie if you aren't performing in Rookie Class Showcases, and using Mikuri's model that means once you win a Rookie Class Showcase you aren't a Rookie anymore. If anything, should they be using this model, Serena would be referred to as an Intermediate Class Performer, but she's not, which indicates to me that ALL non-Master Class Showcases are actually Rookie Class Showcases, and if it is tiered for people with Princess Keys it might be called "Rookie Class-One/Two Key", or you'll see Monsieur Pierre make some mention of the Showcase being available only to Performers with a Princess Key (effectively ruling out Jessie from being in it which would be great >:D).

I also want to mention that the translation of Serena's bio on the pocketmonsters.net article actually states Serena is a Performer "who competes in Rookie Class Showcases", which is essentially what I got out of that alternate translation posted here anyway.

Last edited:

I don't understand and tbh I think it's because the anime hasn't explained it clearly because it appears I'm not the only one... I just hope Musashi gets to play and win :p

In any case, we'll know for sure in this episode whether they'll still be called Rookie Class Tripokalons.

Personally, if they have a Rookie Class and a Master Class, might as well have have something in-between.

Here are some new summaries of the episode, courtesy of Dephender.

Serena, Braixen and Pancham's glittering performance!

Serena challenges a Tripokalon for the 3rd time!
Serena, who aims for the top position of Pokémon Performers, Kalos Queen, enters a Tripokalon! She aims for victory with the new performance she's practiced during her journey!!

Pokémon Quiz:
In this Tripokalon, you compete in a quiz about Pokémon knowledge. Check the answers during the episode!
1: Which of Eevee's evolved forms is a Fairy type?
2: Gloom has two evolved forms, Bellossom and which other?

Maybe a hint of Serena's future Sylveon? XD I would like for Eevee to evolve into the fairy.

Is that the difficulty level of these questions? I know this anime is marketed to kids and the questions can't be too heavy or intricate, but just listing a Pokemon's type or its other evolution in a branched line is something anybody could answer correctly.

The questions should get harder as the Theme Performance goes to thin out the hoard.

Is that the difficulty level of these questions? I know this anime is marketed to kids and the questions can't be too heavy or intricate, but just listing a Pokemon's type or its other evolution in a branched line is something anybody could answer correctly.

The questions should get harder as the Theme Performance goes to thin out the hoard.

But who's to say that people should know this information? I don't think it should be expected that everybody should know the answers to these questions. Plus maybe there will be a mixture of, easy, normal and hard questions.

New summary is out! Translation by Dephender.

Dephender said:
Ash and his friends have arrived in Anistar City, and Serena is getting ready for the Tripokalon tournament she's participating in. Tough rivals like Shauna, Musavie and Nene are all there as well, but Serena chooses to turn her nervousness into willpower. On the actual day of the tournament, Serena safely manages to pass the Theme Performance, but just before the Free Performance, her Pokémon ends up getting lost.

Jessie (@ii kanji; rejoice!) and Nene confirmed.

I guess this means that ranks aren't a thing and that there are only Rookie classes.

So basically the same as Contests in that everyone joins in, yeah. Not that I'm saying that in a bad way mind you but it does make sense for them to do it, especially if they want to shoehorn Jessie in there without having to do stuff off-screen. Nene's back which should be interesting to see how she goes.

So going back to the discussion on the last page, no, that doesn't indicate Serena losing here. :]

Dephender said:
Tough rivals like Shauna, Musavie and Nene...
L O L

(But also woohoo! :banana: )

Hmm, I'm still not entirely happy about the summary.

Serena's Theme Performance pass isn't good enough for me. This is the third time in the show and two of them were happening at the Free Performances where she had troubles everytime. Can we just getting over with this?

I'm kinda disappointed with the non-existence of the ranking system. It doesn't make any sense to call every bloody Pokémon Showcase a Rookie Class tournament if there's no next class for Performers to go after they win. I wonder what crossed the writers' mind when they thought of this, but then again the entire Showcase concept is messed up.

The good news is that Jessie will be participating, the bad news is that of all possible first round themes a quiz might be the worst thing for her. Let's not forget this is the same Jessie that once commanded a Seviper to use Luster Purge, Latios' signature move, in the Appeals Round of a Pokémon Contest. :p

And finally we have confirmation that Nini is among the contestants, yay! Here's hoping her performance will actually receive some focus, Miette wasn't so luck in that department. Also expecting for better interactions here, Shauna's around to help Serena out and Nini won't tease Serena about her feelings for Ash.

I'm kinda disappointed with the non-existence of the ranking system. It doesn't make any sense to call every bloody Pokémon Showcase a Rookie Class tournament if there's no next class for Performers to go after they win. I wonder what crossed the writers' mind when they thought of this, but then again the entire Showcase concept is messed up.

But it honestly made no sense for someone to be required a C Class (Rookie), B Class, and A Class Princess Key to enter the S class competition (master class) especially when Pierre said you only needed three keys to enter the Master Class Showcase.

But it honestly made no sense for someone to be required a C Class (Rookie), B Class, and A Class Princess Key to enter the S class competition (master class) especially when Pierre said you only needed three keys to enter the Master Class Showcase.
At least winning keys for each rank would showcase progression from rookie to master level skills.

In this case, you win three keys from Rookie Class and suddenly you're fit for Master Class?

Going straight from Rookie -> Master seems kinda illogical.

Rookie -> Super -> Hyper -> Master or something along those lines makes a lot more sense IMO.

I agree with Mikuri and Tsutarja - ranking would make more sense & level the playing field a bit.
(In reality however I don't give a damn because this whole concept is bullshit.)
(Plus Musashi gets to participate against all odds woowoowoo!)

Also yay Nene confirmed! She's definitely my most promising out of the rivals so far. Hope Sana plays a bg role in comparison because I find her really boring.

The good news is that Jessie will be participating, the bad news is that of all possible first round themes a quiz might be the worst thing for her.
Can it really be worse for her than baking? :p If Nyasu participates again then that may save her... If not she's out within 1 second guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom