• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY091: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TryPokaron Tournament!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

I definitely see Serena winning here, though I would be surprised if she actually lost.

I also hope Jessie wins some off-screen Showcases like she did with Contests in DP as I think there is little chance of her actually winning a proper Showcase against a main character like Serena.

Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

I kind of think that's pointless though. What was nice in DP was that Musashi (& Kojiro LOLOLOL) won contests in which Hikari competed as well as the off-screen ones, which actually gave her some credibility. If she won 3 keys on the sidelines, there wouldn't be even a hint of a threat when she faced Serena in the Grand Festival (or whatever it's called now). What do you think? I think she needs to snatch at least one from the open hands of Serena to make it worthwhile ;-)

I kind of think that's pointless though. What was nice in DP was that Musashi (& Kojiro LOLOLOL) won contests in which Hikari competed as well as the off-screen ones, which actually gave her some credibility. If she won 3 keys on the sidelines, there wouldn't be even a hint of a threat when she faced Serena in the Grand Festival (or whatever it's called now). What do you think? I think she needs to snatch at least one from the open hands of Serena to make it worthwhile ;-)
I would love nothing more than for Jessie to win against Serena (as much as I adore Serena), but for some reason I have a trouble seeing it happening directly in XY anime. Could be because time is slowly running out, since Ash is battling Olympia soon and his final gym is soon following, it feels like the quests are about to end and there's too little time to have Serena lose.

I would love nothing more than for Jessie to win against Serena (as much as I adore Serena), but for some reason I have a trouble seeing it happening directly in XY anime. Could be because time is slowly running out, since Ash is battling Olympia soon and his final gym is soon following, it feels like the quests are about to end and there's too little time to have Serena lose.
From a pragmatic POV I agree. Even minus the Musashi issue though, I think Serena winning 3 in a row (as a beginner!!) is really poor story telling and shows terrible series construction when it comes to her quest. The only way they can salvage it for me is if there's a DP-esque year-long break between gym 7 and 8 or Satoshi does a post-league quest in Kalos and the tripokalon goal gets much, much more focus with a few losses and mega development for Serena thrown in between the necessary wins.

From a pragmatic POV I agree. Even minus the Musashi issue though, I think Serena winning 3 in a row (as a beginner!!) is really poor story telling and shows terrible series construction when it comes to her quest. The only way they can salvage it for me is if there's a DP-esque year-long break between gym 7 and 8 or Satoshi does a post-league quest in Kalos and the tripokalon goal gets much, much more focus with a few losses and mega development for Serena thrown in between the necessary wins.
Oh, I definitely agree. I want Serena to lose one more time.

Ideally, if she uses Eevee in the next Showcase (since we know Eevee is not participating in Free Performance in this one thanks to the preview) she could lose, making way for Jessie's victory. Personally I would love that. It would be realistic in terms of Eevee's development (maybe Serena thinks Eevee's ready but it turns out it's actually not which leads to a terrible mistake or something) and also makes Serena's win-lose ration more uneven: lose-win-win-lose-win

I'm honestly expecting her to win this one, but I guess we'll see. I do think she's going to lose one more.

But it honestly made no sense for someone to be required a C Class (Rookie), B Class, and A Class Princess Key to enter the S class competition (master class) especially when Pierre said you only needed three keys to enter the Master Class Showcase.
At least winning keys for each rank would showcase progression from rookie to master level skills.

In this case, you win three keys from Rookie Class and suddenly you're fit for Master Class?

Going straight from Rookie -> Master seems kinda illogical.

Rookie -> Super -> Hyper -> Master or something along those lines makes a lot more sense IMO.

Except all you needed was 5 ribbons from contests and you'd enter the "GRAND FESTIVAL" how does that makes sense? How do you go from contests to suddenly a grand festival.

Except all you needed was 5 ribbons from contests and you'd enter the "GRAND FESTIVAL" how does that makes sense? How do you go from contests to suddenly a grand festival.
Yes, but we are not talking about contests here. And contests didn't establish 'classes' or any kinds of ranks.

Showcases clearly established Rookie Class and Master Class.

Yes, but we are not talking about contests here. And contests didn't establish 'classes' or any kinds of ranks.[/quote] Maybe not exactly, but they established the massive difference.

And that doesn't dismiss my main argument.

Showcases clearly established Rookie Class and Master Class.

What else were they supposed to be called them? It's like blaming the writers for being half-assed about making showcases, and while that can be true, since it really is half-baked, the issue is of course is that the normal competitions were going to be called something different than the Pokemon League/Grand Festival.

Is it really the fault of the writers that people assumed it meant different classes, than just having one distinct name for normal competitions and a different name for the competition requiring a X number amount of said trinkets relating to the goal?

Is it really the fault of the writers that people assumed it meant different classes, than just having one distinct name for normal competitions and a different name for the competition requiring a X number amount of said trinkets relating to the goal?
No, it's the writers' fault for making a Rookie have to win a Rookie class competition three times and suddenly be eligible for Master Class.

One does not simply go from Rookie to Master, that's my problem.

I kind of agree with both sides here. On one hand a progression system like in-game contests does make sense to show, well, progression, I kind of touched on it before in this thread. I will say that in the context of the anime it makes far more sense for them to just have Rookie to Master because they don't have to worry about making up stuff like Jessie won a Showcase in Random Town that we never saw so now she can appear here. I guess it's that running theme of simplicity that comes with the writing. This Rookie to Master thing is fundamentally the same as AG and DP Contests, it's just using the titles of Rookie and Master Class.

In fact the only place I can really think of there being a progression/ranking system in the anime is the Battle Chateau (correct me if I'm wrong).

But it honestly made no sense for someone to be required a C Class (Rookie), B Class, and A Class Princess Key to enter the S class competition (master class) especially when Pierre said you only needed three keys to enter the Master Class Showcase.

That's exactly how Pokémon Contests work in the games. You have to win Normal Rank, Super Rank, and Hyper Rank in order to compete in the Master Rank. Pierre said three Princess Keys are needed to enter the Master Class but he never stated they were all from the same class, and since going from Rookie to Master makes little sense, I thought there were other classes of Showcases.

Can it really be worse for her than baking? :p If Nyasu participates again then that may save her... If not she's out within 1 second guaranteed.

I think Jessie, James, and Meowth are all quite skilled at cooking, even receiving compliments from Madame Catherine when they were working in Professor Sycamore's Pokémon Summer Camp.

I also think Jessie will be eliminated in the Theme Performance this time around, not only because she's not the smartest Performer out there, but because the writers may not have enough time to make the quiz, Eevee getting lost, and the performances of Serena, Jessie, Shauna, and Nini.

The same way you go from Gyms to the Pokémon League. It makes perfect sense.

The thing here is that we got the impression Showcases had a ranking system because Monsieur Pierre starts every competition by saying it is a Rookie Class Pokémon Showcase, while Vivian, Lilian, and Marian never mentioned any sort of rank, it was always *town's name* Pokémon Contest.

What does not make sense is to have several Rookie Class tournaments and the next stage is the Master Class. You don't go from Rookie to Master, students don't go from freshman to senior, judo belt colors don't go from white to black etc. There are a few levels in between.

What else were they supposed to be called them? It's like blaming the writers for being half-assed about making showcases, and while that can be true, since it really is half-baked, the issue is of course is that the normal competitions were going to be called something different than the Pokemon League/Grand Festival.

Just Showcase would suffice. It wasn't really needed to have Pierre calling them Rookie Class tournaments at the start of every Showcase. The final Showcase competition, the equivalent to the Pokémon League and the Grand Festival, now that should have a different name.

But I think you're right when you say the writers did a half-assed job when creating Showcases. They were too lazy to bother to come up with a name for the final tournament and just went with these pseudo-ranks.

The VA list.

Ash: Rica Matsumoto
Clemont: Yūki Kaji
Bonnie: Mika Kanai
Serena: Mayuki Makiguchi
Pikachu: Ikue Ohtani
Bunnelby: Chinatsu Akasaki
Dedenne: Megumi Satō
Chespin: Hitomi Nabatame
Pancham: Noriko Shitaya
Jessie: Megumi Hayashibara
James: Shin'ichirō Miki
Meowth: Inuko Inuyama
Wobbuffet: Yuji Ueda
Gourgeist: Miyako Itō
Shauna: Yurie Kobori
Tierno: Anri Katsu
Monsieur Piere: Kenta Miyake
Nini: Motoko Kumai
Smoochum: Yuka Terasaki

Here is a new summary of the episode, courtesy of Dephender.

Serena tries her hand at the Anistar Pokemon Showcase! This time the competition is full of tough rivals like Shauna, Jessillia, and even Nini. Serena gives it all she's got and manages to safely pass the Theme Performance! However, just before the Free Performance, Eevee ends up getting lost! Serena desperately searches for it... will her voice manage to reach Eevee!?

Yep. Just as many of us suspected, Nini's back.

Diggin' how the contest performance arc is getting a bigger cast :)

Preview
- Serena dances with her Pokemon during the Free Performance.
- Shauna and Nini talk to eachother.
- Eevee runs backstage.
- Jessie uses her Gourgeist in the Free Performance.

[video=youtube;foPt0uChPlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foPt0uChPlk[/video]

Here's a new image from the episode, well I assume it's from this episode.

tMjXrhK.png

The image was in the preview.

So it seems Serena and Nini are in the same Quiz, I wonder who's going to win. I mean, it's not like we've seen Serena in the Free Performance... oh wait. Jessie makes it through, what the hell was Gourgeist wearing?! :p It kind of seems like there's a race involved with the Quiz?

The image was in the preview.

So it seems Serena and Nini are in the same Quiz, I wonder who's going to win. I mean, it's not like we've seen Serena in the Free Performance... oh wait. Jessie makes it through, what the hell was Gourgeist wearing?! :p It kind of seems like there's a race involved with the Quiz?

I posted the image before the preview, but since I didn't want to double post, I put them both in the same post. And I like what Gourgeist is wearing. Plus, it's nice to see that there seems to be a physical element to the quiz, in the form of a race. At least now people can stop saying that Pokemon Showcase's are all about pretty dresses and appearances.

I guess Jessie will get the key this time.

My predictions :-

The first part of the Showcase is the quiz.
Serena searches for Eevee after it runs away, but can't find it in time and has to perform with Braixen and Panchan. Eevee see their performance and is completely enamoured with the whole thing, meaning it will be involved next time.
The action sequences have absolutely nothing to do with the Showcase.

I guess Jessie will get the key this time.
I bloody hope so ;-)
(How she passes the quiz remains to be seen...)

Pumpjin looks soooooooooo cute!

I'm so frickin annoyed though that Nene appears to be kicked out by Serena! How unfair is that?! Why couldn't it be boring old Sana.

So hyped for this. If Jessie wins, it will be even better.

Also, Shauna seems to be doing the same thing she did last time with the whole Fairy Wind dancing thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom