• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY091: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TryPokaron Tournament!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

According to the summary and the preview Serena, Jessie and Shauna make it to the free performance. Shauna seems to repeat same thing she did on the last showcase or maybe that's just a flashback. Also Serena's performance is kind of somehow similar as her last one. As we see in the preview Serena and Nini are in the same quiz, so if only one of them will pass as in the previous showcases means that Nini will get eleminated. And then we have Jessie. I have to say that Jessie is more interesting on stage. I don't know why, but the way she and Gourgeist perform in the preview reminds me of the first DP contest she won. Serena winning two keys in a row is kind of rushed. Shauna also can't win the whole show every time she appears, so in my opinion, hopefully, Jessie will achieve her first Princess Key.

Also, I would like to see Shauna's Swirlix and/or Gothita take part here.

Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

Meowth vs. Sneasel.

The eternal rivalry.

Is that me, or is this episode receiving the biggest animation bump since the beginning of the series?

Maybe, but also the episode before it had terrible animation so that's probably helping it look better by comparison.

#TeamJessie

I feel like this will be her last shot, since there probably won't be many more showcases in general after this. I sincerely hope she wins especially since she and Gourgeist are so close. GO JESSIEEE

EDIT: obligatory gif
tumblr_inline_n82rzwLfcw1s4uejz.gif

Maybe, but also the episode before it had terrible animation so that's probably helping it look better by comparison.

Besides Blastoise changing size and the mistakes Bulbapedia caught, what other mistakes were there?

I don't see how "it would feel rushed" is a valid excuse for Serena to lose here given Ash won three Gym badges in something like 15 episodes. We're talking XY here not DP.

Whose is that Nyula do we know?

Besides Blastoise changing size and the mistakes Bulbapedia caught, what other mistakes were there?
(Bar the stock scenes) the animation was stiff and characters were off model in some shots.

I don't see how "it would feel rushed" is a valid excuse for Serena to lose here given Ash won three Gym badges in something like 15 episodes. We're talking XY here not DP.
Satoshi needs 8 gym badges and has been battling gyms for 17 years. Serena only needs 3 keys and is a complete newbie. I don't feel like it would be satisfying to see her walk through these contests.

Satoshi needs 8 gym badges and has been battling gyms for 17 years. Serena only needs 3 keys and is a complete newbie. I don't feel like it would be satisfying to see her walk through these contests.

So what you've just said is that Ash is an experienced trainer so he can walk through other experienced trainers (Gym Leaders) just fine, but Serena, a "newbie", can't walk through a field of newbies too? I don't see that, especially with how they've treated Serena's performing abilities, her highly successful Pokevision video from XY021 and the way she dominated the Dendemille Showcase. She's more competent than the majority of these Performers.

Plus, in terms of Keys to Badges, one key equates to 2.67 badges (let's round that to three for simplicity). If Serena wins here she'll have two keys, multiply that by three and you get six - the amount of badges Ash has. She'd be at an equivalent point of progression as Ash, and I'm sure if Showcases had been in place since episode one we'd see Serena in this exact situation. Given that we're coming up on 90 episodes into the series, and that we also have XY&Z releasing after the Anistar Gym, I feel like we won't be getting much in the way of Showcases or Gyms for a fair while.

I'm not saying Serena will win, but to rule her out on the basis that it's rushed doesn't sit well with me. After all, wasn't everyone complaining she developed too slow before?

(Having trouble going to sleep right now so decided to reply - my points might be a little brief, I am half asleep)

So what you've just said is that Ash is an experienced trainer so he can walk through other experienced trainers (Gym Leaders) just fine, but Serena, a "newbie", can't walk through a field of newbies too? I don't see that, especially with how they've treated Serena's performing abilities, her highly successful Pokevision video from XY021 and the way she dominated the Dendemille Showcase. She's more competent than the majority of these Performers.

Plus, in terms of Keys to Badges, one key equates to 2.67 badges (let's round that to three for simplicity). If Serena wins here she'll have two keys, multiply that by three and you get six - the amount of badges Ash has. She'd be at an equivalent point of progression as Ash, and I'm sure if Showcases had been in place since episode one we'd see Serena in this exact situation. Given that we're coming up on 90 episodes into the series, and that we also have XY&Z releasing after the Anistar Gym, I feel like we won't be getting much in the way of Showcases or Gyms for a fair while.

I'm not saying Serena will win, but to rule her out on the basis that it's rushed doesn't sit well with me. After all, wasn't everyone complaining she developed too slow before?

(Having trouble going to sleep right now so decided to reply - my points might be a little brief, I am half asleep)

I totally agree with this. Its not like Shauna or Nini is more experienced. Its between newbies, so Serena is at equal level with all the competitors, like how Ash is on level with the Gym Leaders. I also agree that she is not guaranteed to win here, but a win here really will not be rushed.

I dont think a win for her would be rushed, but I do understand the "want" for her to lose. Her first loss was one of, if not the most defining moment in the entire XY series for her. Losing does accomplish a fair bit of character development for both trainer and Pokemon whether it's battling or not, and Serena could always use some depth and development. The same was true for May, Dawn, and even Ash. A win for her may not make things rushed, but it could forego some more interesting character development for her. Not that winning wouldn't develop her, I just personally see a lot more ways she could be characterized through a loss.

...that being said the main reason she won't and can't win is because Jessie will. #TadaTadaTada >:D

If Shauna has already won her second Princess Key then I'm fine with Serena winning this one. I just wouldn't like to see Serena surpassing Shauna, at least not right now, after all Shauna is Serena's major rival and the only one skilled enough to pose a threat to her. Serena's road to success needs a few misfortunes, and I'm not talking about a ripped furisode.

Serena surpassing Shauna means she is surround by rivals who only exist to make her look good, just like Ash with Tierno and Sawyer, and I find that to be extremely boring. The Performers in the Dendemille Showcase didn't stand a chance against Serena as she won that thing with a huge amount of points, way ahead of the other contestants. I hope they balance things out a little bit, they can make Serena win this without completely destroying her opponents.

On another note, I'm not a fan of Nini coming back only to lose in the Theme Performance. I was so excited when I found out she would return, thinking of her performance with Smoochum and Farfetch'd, but now I'm disappointed. At least Jessie is going to the second round. Yay! I'm surprised she will advance to the Free Performance, Pierre must have asked her what is the evolution of Ekans in the quiz. :p

While I wouldn't mind Serena winning this, I would like it better if Jessie ended up victorious. She was robbed in her first attempt at winning and she received the least amount of votes the second time. Third time's a charm! And if Serena does lose, please no more crying scenes.

It's a case of preference - I find it so boring to watch someone who is being thrown in our faces as some kind of prodigy completely wipe the floor all the time. Serena has faced hardly any real setback which the writers have tried to make us forget by having her react to each minor setback in such an OTT way (I'm sure Serena must have the highest teary moments/episode count % out of all the main characters). I find it so much more enjoyable to watch a character struggle and then snatch some small victory from the jaws of defeat... And learn to still be happy with it! Like most of us have to do in real life!!

I agree with you - we can't rule her out at all. If anything I'd hedge my bets that she's going to win.
I also sit in the camp that she developed far too slowly, which doesn't mean I can't find her development now rushed - if anything it feels more rushed because of how slow her story was in the beginning. It is a big flaw in the series construction that her arc has been so badly paced.

Serena's road to success needs a few misfortunes, and I'm not talking about a ripped furisode.
:lol:

On another note, I'm not a fan of Nini coming back only to lose in the Theme Performance. I was so excited when I found out she would return, thinking of her performance with Smoochum and Farfetch'd, but now I'm disappointed.
Same here.

Third time's a charm! And if Serena does lose, please no more crying scenes.
Please please please!

Pokenchi Preview
- Nini's Smoochum tries to kiss Serena's Pancham.
- Eevee runs away after sitting in the audience.
- Serena performs with her Braixen and Pancham during the Free Performance.
- Eevee is watching from the audience with an excited look on its face.

[video=youtube;mkYk_y4NYrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkYk_y4NYrM[/video]

Not sure that I even think this will have any role (...in this episode...) but will Kodawari-san make a reappearance in front of Serena/twerps? ;-) After all Kojiro has to my memory worn that disguise to the other two tripokalons thus far... Hmm hmm hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom