• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY091: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TryPokaron Tournament!!

Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

Here's my summary of the episode.

The episode starts off with Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Tierno outside the building which will be hosting the Anistar Pokemon Showcase.

Serena and Shauna walk through the building's automatic doors to the outside, where Ash and the others are.

Team Rocket, who are in disguise run past Ash and co. (including Tierno and Shauna) and inside the same building.

Ash and co. all walk inside the building and have a bit of a talk.

Serena sends her Eevee from out of its Poke Ball.

Eevee is shy, so Clemont sends his Bunnelby out so that Eevee can hide behind Bunnelby.

Serena and Shauna head off to the waiting room backstage.

While Serena and Shauna are talking to eachother, a voice calls out to Serena.

Serena checks to see who was speaking to her.

The person who spoke to Serena was Nini and she is also in the waiting room, nearby Serena and Shauna.

Serena speaks to Nini, because she hasn't seen Nini in a while.

Nini and Shauna meet eachother for the first time.

The rest of Ash and co. are all sitting in the audience, getting ready for the Pokemon Showcase to begin.

Bunnelby and Eevee are sitting with the others in the audience, on their own seats.

The Anistar Pokemon Showcase begins.

Monsieur Piere comes on stage and talks to the audience.

Backstage in the waiting room, a woman comes through the door.

The woman tells Serena, Nini and another girl that they are a group and there Theme performance will be soon.

Soon after the woman tells Serena, Nini and the other girl that, all three girls arrive on the stage for their Theme Performance.

The Theme Peformance is a quiz.

The quiz involves one of the Trainer's Pokemon finding a ball hidden in some rocks.

The Pokemon then has to find the ball and give it back to its Trainer.

The order of the Trainer who receives the ball is the same order for which Trainer gets to answer a question in the quiz.

The first question asks what the name of the Fairy type evolution that Eevee can evolve into.

Nini's Farfecth'd gave its ball to Nini first, so Nini gets to answer the question first.

Nini answers correctly by answering with Esperon.

Her Farfetch'd is really shocked by its Trainer's answer.

Serena then answers the question next.

Serena answers the same question correctly, by answering with Sylveon.

All three performers keep answering until eventually, Serena is named the winner of her group's Theme Performance.

Shauna and her rivals in her Theme Performance arrive on the stage.

Shauna ends up winning in her Theme Performance.

Jessie and the rest of her group in her Theme Performance is up next.

Jessie wins with the help of Meowth.

The Pokemon Quiz: Pancham.

It is now time for the Free Performances.

Shauna is up first.

Her Pokemon in her Free Performance are her Flabebe and Ivysaur.

Serena watches Shauna's Free Performance from backstage.

After Shauna's Free Performance, it is time for Jessie's Free Performance.

Jessie's Free Peformance starts off with her Gourgeist shining the light from its body on the stage.

Jessie then gets her Gourgeist to fire some Seed Bombs.

The Seed Bombs turn into fireworks when they explode in the air.

This scares Serena's Eevee who is watching the performance from the audience.

Eevee runs through some of the seats in the audience and then runs backstage.

Bunnelby notices that Eevee is missing and freaks out.

Bunnelby tells the others that Eevee is missing and they freak out as well.

Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Tierno tell Serena that her Eevee has gone missing.

Ash and co. (except for Shauna, who is still backstage) all go and search for Eevee, who is somewhere inside the building.

Eevee is hiding in the lobby, under a cushioned bench.

Eevee is very scared to come out from under the bench.

Serena and co. all call out to Eevee, to try and get Eevee to come to one of them.

Eventually Eevee comes out from under the bench and runs towards Serena, until eventually Eevee reunites with Serena.

Serena and Eevee are happy that they have reunited with eachother.

It is now time for Serena's Free Performance.

Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Tierno all head back to their seats in the audience.

Serena heads backstage, to get prepared for her Free Performance.

Serena, along with her Braixen and Pancham leap out onto the stage for their Free Performance.

DreamDream plays as Serena and her Pokemon jump onto the stage.

Serena does her Free Performance along with her Braixen and Pancham.

Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Tierno are all happily watching Serena, along with her Braixen and Pancham, performing in their Free Performance.

Eevee is excitedly watching Serena perform with her Braixen and Pancham.

Serena's Free Performance ends.

Monsieur Piere is now standing on the stage, along with the finalists in the Anistar Pokemon Showcase.

Monsieur Piere asks the audience to vote for the winner of the Anistar Pokemon Showcase with their PokeLumes.

The audience members vote for who they think should win the Anistar Pokemon Showcase.

Serena and Shauna receive votes from the audience.

Ash, Clemont and Bonnie all vote for Serena.

Tierno votes for Shauna.

The voting has now finished.

All the votes are shown on the screen behind Monsieur Piere and the finalists.

The winner of the Anistar Pokemon Showcase is revealed to be Serena.

Serena is happy that she has won.

Shauna congratulates Serena on winning the Anistar Pokemon Showcase.

Jessie angrily bites a napkin that she is holding in her hands.

James is annoyed that Jessie has lost the Anistar City Pokemon Showcase.

Monsieur Piere gets his Klefki to give the Anistar City Princess Key to Serena.

Serena takes the Anistar City Princess Key from Monsieur Piere's Klefki.

Serena does a victory pose with her Anistar City Princess Key, along with Braixen and Pancham.

The sun is now setting.

Ash and co. (except for Tierno) are all together and are having a chat.

Tierno runs into the building where the others are and tells Shauna that something bad has happened to Trevor.

Shauna and Tierno say goodbye to the others and run towards where Trevor is.

Team Rocket are talking to eachother as they walk along the outside of the building where the Anistar City Pokemon Showcase was held.

Ash is excited for his upcoming Gym battle in Anistar City.

To be continued.

Re: XY090: The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz!? The Hyakkoku TriPokalon Tournament!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUSASHI :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Her performance was shit though.

Maybe worth it for the scene at the end? Also LMFAO @ Monsieur Pierre calling Musashi sexy. (But I'm not really laughing because I'm actually crying.)

You know, Jessie kinda sucked at this Pokemon Showcase. Also, there's no way that Klefki is happy being Monsieur Pierre's scepter ornament.

That BGM when everyone was looking for Eevee... very unfitting. It was much too tense for a situation like this. All Serena faced was potential disqualification for timing out, but that BGM made it sound more like her life was threatened or something. The dub would do good to replace that one. Same with DreamDream, which at this point has gotten old.

Actually, come to think of it, XY's anime soundtrack really isn't that good to me. Whether it be KiraKira making what would've been an awesome evolution scene really boring, or the snoozefest that was M17's Japanese soundtrack, this saga hasn't been so good in terms of music. I almost wonder if TPCi is running on that thought process, even if their replacement BGM is only a little bit better.

Oh well. Most other aspects of this saga are going right.

Now then, I'm wondering if Chespin will ever get anywhere with Eevee. One never should say "never." Overall, it was another cute episode.

Last edited:

I made a promise to myself last night that I wouldn't go searching for the result when next episode's preview came out so I'd be surprised today. But I just so happened to look at the comment section for the preview and literally the first comment was "If you haven't watched the episode, Serena won". OH COME ON!!! Sigh... only have myself to blame really.

So yeah, Serena won. A deserved victory from what we saw, it was really nice. I feel like Braixen looked more like the Pop Idol Cosplay Pikachu, or whatever the name is, more than anything. Well, there were similarities to the Coumarine Theme Performance too. Maybe a mixture of both? Seems like Braixen jumping on Pancham's Stone Edge is going to be a running theme in her Performances like Shauna dancing in Flabebe's farts (Fairy Wind, heh, wind... I'll stop -_-). Jessie was... ugh... I thought her intro with Gourgeist shining the pumpkin/jack-o-lantern light on her looked cool, but it took a nosedive from there and was kind of boring. Not to mention it ended very abruptly, although we don't know if that was the whole Performance (if it was it gets a 3/10 for the intro only).

That quiz had a decent concept, race to get Object X from Place Y, the finishing order determines the order that you can answer. Apparently Jessie actually knows the answers without some form of cheating, I'll be damned. I was kind of hoping when the question about Eevee's Fairy-type evolution came up they'd have a shot of Serena's Eevee sitting there with like a tilted head or something. A minor detail but it's fine. Bit unfortunate for Nini that she was put in the same group as Serena for it. At least her Pokemon were hilarious, you could see Pancham was fearing for his life when she appeared, Smoochum lol. Farfetch'd's face when she got that question wrong was priceless. XD

Few other things, I thought the actual mid-episode Pokemon Quiz was nice, all of them were Serena's Pokemon wearing their Free Performance gear (except Eevee of course). Seeing Bunnelby freak the fook out when Eevee bolted was hilarious, I'm surprised it took them that long to figure it out, lol. I guess that scene could be considered overly dramatic but the actual message that came out of it was fair enough, as in Serena's willing to run out just before her Performance to find Eevee because she cares about it. You know, the usual. Btw, did they actually mention what was wrong with Trevor?

I liked this episode, DoriDori still kicks ass. :]

Another amazing Showcase.

I like how Clemont sent Bunnelby out to comfort Eevee at the Showcase. Though I didn't get way she was so shy in walking over to him. And of course Chespin has to, once again, scare the crap out of her.I honestly can't even feel sorry for him with how obnoxious he's being.

I loved that the girls got special caps and gowns for the quiz. I thought that was a really nice touch. And I was thrilled to see Nini again. I always wanted her to make another appearance, but I never thought we actually would. Glad to see I was wrong. I also loved that they once again brought up Smoochum's crush on Pancham. I facepalmed so hard when Pancham tripped and dropped the ball during the quiz to which Farfetch'd got ahead of him. But Nini getting the answer totally wrong was even worse. Farfetch'd's reaction was hilarious though. I really like seeing how every quiz had different challenges, like getting berries and wall climbing in addition to the rock breaking.

Just a quick note, I really liked how the Who's that Pokemon had Serena's team as the different options all wearing an accessory of some sort:)

Wow, not surprised that Jessie had Meowth scale that wall instead of having Gorgiest just levitate up there. Anyway, I like that Serena and Braxien wore the same outfits they wore in their debut showcase. In a similar way, I also liked how Shauna and her Pokemon all wore the same type of bow. However, I was a bit disappointed with her Free Performance. She used the same two Pokemon we saw last time and Flabebe did pretty much the exact same thing. Jessie's, as usual, was weird as hell. Aw, poor Eevee was scared of the firework explosions. And wow she was "lost" for way shorter than I expected.

I lol'd when Tierno's expression right before Serena started her Free Performance. And speaking of which, her performance was awesome. I'm so glad she ended up winning the whole thing. I also that her key having water in it was cool. Aw, Bunelby waving with hi ears at the end was cute.

Overall, a really great episode. Honestly, my only complaint was that Eevee going missing really didn't have much of an impact on the episode and felt really unnecessary. 8/10.

I thnik this episode is pretty good, but that is only because the scenes where Serena talks to Eevee is good. Its not just encouragement for Eevee, she said that performance is their steps, their dance steps, as a team. I think Serena is indeed the biggest winner here, not just winning the Showcase and winning Eevee's admiration.

The performance is indeed excellent, the dance steps are well done and I can feel Pancham and Braixen's passion and how inspired they are by Eevee.

Win or lose the Showcase, I think Serena had already won, so the Princess Key is a bonus! The only comment I had about this episode is, Eevee inspired Serena Pancham and Braixen to make this performance and they in turn inspired Eevee to make performances.

Overall, this episode isn't that spectacular when the scene does not involve Serena-Eevee interaction directly or indirectly. If judged only by Serena-Eevee performance, this episode is an overwhelming 13/10, but as a full episode, a solid 9/10.

Clemont sending out Bunnelby to look after Eevee is a nice plus, though!

I made a promise to myself last night that I wouldn't go searching for the result when next episode's preview came out so I'd be surprised today. But I just so happened to look at the comment section for the preview and literally the first comment was "If you haven't watched the episode, Serena won". OH COME ON!!! Sigh... only have myself to blame really.

So yeah, Serena won. A deserved victory from what we saw, it was really nice. I feel like Braixen looked more like the Pop Idol Cosplay Pikachu, or whatever the name is, more than anything. Well, there were similarities to the Coumarine Theme Performance too. Maybe a mixture of both? Seems like Braixen jumping on Pancham's Stone Edge is going to be a running theme in her Performances like Shauna dancing in Flabebe's farts (Fairy Wind, heh, wind... I'll stop -_-). Jessie was... ugh... I thought her intro with Gourgeist shining the pumpkin/jack-o-lantern light on her looked cool, but it took a nosedive from there and was kind of boring. Not to mention it ended very abruptly, although we don't know if that was the whole Performance (if it was it gets a 3/10 for the intro only).

That quiz had a decent concept, race to get Object X from Place Y, the finishing order determines the order that you can answer. Apparently Jessie actually knows the answers without some form of cheating, I'll be damned. I was kind of hoping when the question about Eevee's Fairy-type evolution came up they'd have a shot of Serena's Eevee sitting there with like a tilted head or something. A minor detail but it's fine. Bit unfortunate for Nini that she was put in the same group as Serena for it. At least her Pokemon were hilarious, you could see Pancham was fearing for his life when she appeared, Smoochum lol. Farfetch'd's face when she got that question wrong was priceless. XD

Few other things, I thought the actual mid-episode Pokemon Quiz was nice, all of them were Serena's Pokemon wearing their Free Performance gear (except Eevee of course). Seeing Bunnelby freak the fook out when Eevee bolted was hilarious, I'm surprised it took them that long to figure it out, lol. I guess that scene could be considered overly dramatic but the actual message that came out of it was fair enough, as in Serena's willing to run out just before her Performance to find Eevee because she cares about it. You know, the usual. Btw, did they actually mention what was wrong with Trevor?

I liked this episode, DoriDori still kicks ass. :]

Is this it?: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oacdIpXYKsYnFRRUdnTUYwZms/view?usp=sharing

If so, look what I just posted in the comments section.

I hope I'm not too late to review this episode. I was busy writing an essay yesterday so I couldn't type my review.

On with my review:

I like how the episode starts where they left off in the previous episode where they all were running because they were late. Luckily, they made it on time. Team Rocket's also late.

Serena wants Eevee to watch and Clemont sends out Bunnelby. Then Chespin comes out and startles Eevee. People keep saying that Chespin is in love with Eevee, but I think it's more platonic. I see it rather as the outgoing Chespin wanting to be friends with the shy Eevee, sort of like Dedenne and Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra. Also, the faces Pikachu, Pancham and Braxien makes after Bonnie remarked on Chespin's actions.

Tierno could've said good luck to Serena, but said it to Shauna instead. That's true friendship right there.

The stage is really pretty. Oh look, Nene is here! I still think Serena's Pancham is male because Smoochum's are a female-only species. Jessie still remarks on her love for Smoochum. Why can't the writers just give her one?

Quiz theme? That's cool. I think it's unique with the way both Pokemon and Performer are involved this time than the Pokepuff baking performance back in Dendemille(?) Town. I also like the small detail with Ash and Clemont and their reaction to the quiz theme. Clemont smiles and adjusts his glasses while Ash frowns and mutters "How complicated." The quiz also features an obstacle course, which I think it's a huge improvement over Pokepuffs. The Pokemon has to find the object and bring it back in order for the Performer to answer.

THE CAMERA ANGLES! I LOVE HOW THE CAMERA MOVES WITHIN THE STAGE!!!!

Serena vs. Nene vs. Lily: How did the balls get inside the rocks? Also, is Solrock even a good choice for that portion? I like how Pancham is smart enough to volunteer for this portion since it knows more physical attacks than the special-attacker Braxien. I also like the little detail with the way Pancham drops the ball. I think it was incorporated to not make Serena answer first. Also, Farfetch'd face when Nene got the answer wrong. Lily's reaction is hilarious as well. Serena eventually wins this round.

Then we have Shauna who has her Ivysaur collect berries in a basket. I love how each obstacle course is different. I like the little detail of the Munchlax eating the berries and not putting them in the basket. For Jessie's round, we have the eternal rivalry of Meowth vs. Sneasel. I'm surprised Jessie was smart enough to answer these quiz questions.

Now for the Free performance. I love how the camera moves when Flabebe uses Fairy Wind around Shauna. Shauna's performance was lovely. It shows off the elegance of Fairy-types and the bond between Shauna and Ivysaur. Jessie's performance wasn't fully shown, but I loved the beginning and how she uses Gourgeist's pumpkin lights to draw in the audience. I love Gourgeist's outfit. The seed bomb exploding startled Eevee and it ran off. Love Bunnelby's reaction to the fleeing Eevee and the face it makes to tell the humans about Eevee.

Eevee hides under a cushioned bench. The gang all head out to find Eevee. I like how Ash was the one who asked the lady if she saw an Eevee. Serena notices Ash and asks what's wrong. Eevee is gone. Serena wants to find Eevee. I love how Serena is determined to find Eevee. It shows how much she cares and that she wants to keep increasing her friendship with Eevee. If she is going to get Sylveon, friendship is important.

Eevee finally runs to Serena. Then Serena's performance happens. I think it's really pretty. They incorporate Eevee's dance steps and make a really beautiful performance which is the reason why Serena is able to win. Also love how Tierno votes for Shauna even though he has a crush on Serena.

Also, another detail I noticed: Serena's first Princess Key is dark blue with a windmill shape. It looks like an 'X'. Dark blue is also Ash's color motif. The second princess key looks like a 'Y' if you flip the mustache. It's an aqua blue color and if you look at the title card, that's the color Clemont is associated with. (Though it like a snow globe so it changes color if you shake it) I'm thinking that Serena's final Princess Key will probably be yellow, which is Bonnie's color, and will have something that looks like a 'Z'.

Love how Tierno and Shauna part ways from Ash and co. after getting a message from Trevor who lost his stuff after trying to photograph a Pokemon. Ash and co's reaction was "That's Trevor for you".

Loved the episode. 9.5/10.

ii kanji said:

She probably should have practiced more :p

I love this episode, so as all other performance episodes.
The timing is tense with no boring gaps.

I love how performers have to go through a quiz section-- shows that intelligence is needed in order to become Kalos Queen.

I'm surprised to see that Nene is a recurring character, but I also think that the recurring gags are nice-- Smoochum having a crush on Pancham, and also Nene pretending to be pretty despite she's really ugly. (Note: Nene behaves exactly like how Jynx behaves in the Mangas. I guess, the producers want to re-live the Jynx joke without offending anyone, so they use Nene instead.)

I love love love love Shauna's performance. (I think she's better than Serena, really) But Serena deserves to win too.

The rivalry between Meowth and Sneasel is gold. Nice to see Sneasel having some screen time.

So Tierno does have a crush on Serena. I was wondering about that in the previous episode. Wow, the writers of XY really are exploring the romance theme.

I'd rate this episode 9/10.

I loved this episode. It has pretty adorable scenes of Eevee and some entertaining interactions between some Pokemon. I also liked the drama with Eevee that happened in this episode and I'm glad that Serena won her second key. Jessie's performance was ok, but it really seems to me that she's becoming more and more redundant in these Showcase episodes with every loss she gets. Still I found the Meowth and Sneasel rivalry hilarious to watch here.
10/10

Having had time to cool off, let me say that the animation in this episode was on another level. Does anyone know if Tamagawa was credited because I felt like some scenes were so him.

Serena's arc is pissing me off to high hell. You know, I hated how shit Satoshi was when I watched Kanto aged 6/7, but I can now see that him never quite being the top (and sometimes actually being really useless) is so important to show - how many of us are the very best at what we do and have reached our big, overarching goal in life? If Serena ends up winning the Grandest Festival or whatever it will just confirm her in my mind as the most Mary-Sue-ish perfect female we've ever seen. Just thinking about her makes brings bile to the back of my throat! :p

how many of us are the very best at what we do and have reached our big, overarching goal in life?

Wouldn't it be great if the anime ended with Ash deciding on a new goal?

ii kanji said:

She probably should have practiced more :p

I never would have expected you of all people to criticize Musashi, Dogasu XD

I thought her performance was pretty cool, or at least the beginning. I enjoyed the Pampujinn spotlight and Seed Bomb fireworks.

Well that was more a reference to my complaint with the previous episode than anything else :D

Well that was more a reference to my complaint with the previous episode than anything else :D

Onscreen training > offscreen training.

Wouldn't it be great if the anime ended with Ash deciding on a new goal?
No?

I thought her performance was pretty cool, or at least the beginning. I enjoyed the Pampujinn spotlight and Seed Bomb fireworks.
The Pumpjin spotlight was cool, but I just feel like what has made her other entries stand out so much is the fact that they haven't relied on gimmicks like pretty fireworks. It's a shame we didn't get to see most of her performance (damn you Eevee - should have stayed in your bloody ball instead of eking my life out!) because no doubt there would have been some more interesting stuff in it.

What is the music that is playing during the first scene of Monsieus Pierre, when he is introducing the contest? Is it an anime only music, or is it from the games?
Also, what was Jessie saying at the end of the episode? Thank you!

The Anistar Showcase was okay I guess. I'm glad the writers found a way to make the Pokémon do something during the Theme Performance this time around. Not saying that I enjoyed it, but it was better than a Poké Puff bake-off. I didn't like how each group had a different activity though, it seems a little unfair. Also, I was disappointed to see Nini losing in the first round. Her debut episode was focused on dance routines and she didn't get the chance to show us her performance here. Oh well, maybe next time. Her facial expression when she got the question wrong made me laugh though, and Farfetch'd's reaction was priceless as well.

I said this Showcase was okay, but that's for Showcase standards anyway. I hate how the writers are forcing themselves to inject cheap melodrama during these competitions. Will we ever be able to watch a Showcase episode in which Serena's only worries are her rivals? The writers have made Jessie, Miette, Nini, and even Shauna represent little to no challenge, so in order to remedy this they're trying to make Serena struggle by adding these little mishaps along the way, like her furisode in Dendemille or Eevee disappearing here in Anistar.

Maybe the writers find the Showcase concept rather boring and so they have to resort to things like flashbacks, haircut, wardrobe malfunction, and a pathetic scene of Eevee hiding under a chair when its Trainer is desperately screaming for it. These unnecessary things that have Serena reacting in such an overly dramatic way so we can think she is developing and growing as a Trainer. What is preventing Serena from being crowned Kalos Queen if not these things, because clearly Serena has no tough competitors. Did she felt any pressure due to Shauna being around?

As of now I have no big expectations for the Master Class tournament. I'm totally fine with Serena winning her second Princess Key here, especially after Shauna mentioned she has two Keys as well, it's just that I didn't like how once again her major problem wasn't her competition but instead a dramatic search for a shy fox. Serena's rivals are being handled in such a way that only Kalos Queen Aria herself would give Serena a run for her money.

I'm curious... How many Performers are currently trying to collect the three needed Keys to enter the Master Class? Did Serena and all of her rivals start their journeys in the middle of the Showcase circuit and there are several other Performers that are not competing because they already earned their Keys OR is the pool of contestants really small? I mean, Pokémon Showcases have less than 20 contestants (they are divided in groups of three for the Theme Performance and only five or six Performers advance to the Free Performance, one from each group). Yet Serena, Shauna, and Jessie were able to register for the Anistar Showcase despite having arrived late to the theater. Maybe that aren't many girls entering these tournaments? Maybe that's one of the reasons Miranda Priestly quit?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom