• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY092: The Crisis in Kalos! The Battle of the Giant Sundial!!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Episode page here

Olympia revealing Froakie's past. Olympia predicting Frogadier's evolution. And THAT pin point Future Sight on Team Rocket.

THAT Future Sight, timing, location everything is just mind blowing, they used the attack in the Gym and the attack blows up Team Rocket at the Sundial. That demonstration of power is just making me so hyped for the Gym Battle. And not to mention that episode preview, I wonder what role Pikachu's tail is going to play in the Gym Battle, it seems very important (but it could be just that Pikachu is feeling the tension). But non-the-less the center stage is going to be Frogadier and Talonflame's. Go go!!

I am feeling more tension built up for a Gym Battle in this one episode than the whole Korrina arc. Things are just looking exciting!

Here is my summary of the episode.

The episode starts with a bunch of Psychic type Trainer's and their Psychic type Pokemon floating inside the Anistar City Gym.

A red haired Psychic Trainer instructs the Psychic type trainers while they float in the air.

Olympia is also in the Anistar City Gym.

Olympia is meditating with her male and female Meowstic by her side.

Olympia then opens her eyes.

Olympia's Meowstic raise themselves, along with Olympia into the air with their move, Psychic.

The inside of the Anistar Gym turns green, as Olympia sees a vision of Ash and Professor Sycamore in the future.

Olympia is worried by what she sees in her vision of the future.

Inside a Pokemon Center in Anistar City, Ash and co. are getting ready to head off.

They are all getting ready to head off towards Ash's Gym battle at the Anistar City Gym.

They exit the Pokemon Center and head towards the Anistar City Gym.

As they leave the Pokemon Center, Malva is on a TV screen, talking about the Anistar City Sundial.

Team Rocket watch Ash and co. head towards the Anistar City Gym on top of a nearby rooftop.

James pretends that he is a news reporter and does a Holocast segment where he talks about the Anistar City Sundial.

Professor Sycamore and his assistants Sophie and Cosette arrive in front of the Anistar City Sundial in a van.

They all get out of the van.

The red haired woman from before shows up to the Anistar City Sundial as well.

The woman sends out a Sigilyph.

She orders her Sigilyph to attack Professor Sycamore and his assistants with Psywave.

The Sigilyph attacks Professor Sycamore and his assistants with Psywave.

Professor Sycamore and his assistants dodge the attack by running away.

The attack hit the ground instead.

Ash and co. then arrive to where Professor Sycamore is.

Ash sends out his Frogadier to fight the red haired woman's Sigilyph.

The woman then sends out her Sableye.

Ash eventually defeats the woman's Sigilyph.

Ash's Frogadier battles the woman's Sableye until it is defeated.

The woman grabs another Poke Ball, with a Pokemon inside for her to battle Ash with next, but then the Poke Ball is surrounded in a blue light and rises into the air.

Olympia is in the air nearby, floating with her two Meowstic.

Olympia is using one or both of her Meowstic to lift the red haired girl's Poke Ball into the air.

The Poke Ball then flies into one of Olympia's hands and then Olympia grabs the Poke Ball.

Olympia is not happy with the red haired girl, whose name is Carrie and what she was doing.

Another Psychic type Trainer with purple hairs runs up to Carrie.

The purple haired girl is called Sheryl.

Sheryl apologises for Carrie attacking Professor Sycamore and his assistants, along with Ash and co.

Ash and co. (including Professor Sycacore, Sophie, Cosette, Olympia, Carrie and Sheryl) all talk to eachother.

Olympia recognises Ash and Professor Sycamore from her vision of the future from earlier.

Olympia sees Ash's Frogadier and then sees a torrent of water surrounding it in a vision of hers.

Then Frogadier turns into a silhouette into that of a Greninja.

There is a red symbol shining on the Greninja's head.

Pokemon Quiz: Sableye.

Ash and co. are all inside the Anistar City Gym and they are the only ones inside it now.

They all talk to eachother for a bit.

Olympia talks about Ash's Frogadier and its past before Ash fist met it.

Olympia shows Ash and co. Froakie's life before Ash met it, including when it lived in an egg.

Ash holds one of his Frogadier's hands.

Olympia then gets another premonition of the future.

The premonition involves the Anistar City Sundial.

She gets her two Meowstic to use the move Future Sight.

The attack creates four black hole shaped portals in a square like formation.

The letter "S" then appears in the middle of the portals.

Olympia and her two Meowstic float out of the Anistar City Gym.

The others follow her.

They all go to where the Anistar City Sundia is.

The Anistar City Sundial is being lifted into the air by some metal straps.

Ash and co. see what is pulling the Anistar City Sundial and it is Team Rocket's Meowth Balloon.

Team Rocket laugh at Ash and co. and act happy as they steal the Anistar City Sundial.

Olympia's two Meowstic's Future Sight attack from before finally appears and it hits Team Rocket and their Meowth Balloon.

Team Rocket blast off.

Ash and co. talk to eachother some more.

Ash is excited about battling against Olympia now.

To be continued.

An atmospheric episode but nevertheless a bit boring - I guess its purpose was to set up the gym match, I'm-so-special!-Geckouga and the upcoming arc. It had its moments though and I do feel like Gojika has demonstrated that she is a formidable opponent, whilst at the same time Satoshi beat her stooge to a pulp proving that if anyone can take her on, it's him!!

I wish Platane would take a more hands-on role though. It's frustrating to see him step aside so that a 10 year old boy can bloody protect him.

The Kojiro Hakase scene was top-notch. His Ookido old man voice impression was hilarious and the crowning moment came at the end when Sonansu shafted Nyasu off the roof! :p

That was an interesting episode - I think :-D - a bit too dialogue-heavy for me to be able to grasp all the intricacies, but nevertheless, I'm still intrigued.
Ash has a "special" Pokemon (again), were the green tones of Olympia's visions a little clue regarding Zygarde? Why did her assistant attack Sycamore, did she misunderstand the vision?

Olympia can style her hair using her psychic powers - I want that ability now.
I wonder how they'll deal with James' Oak impression in the dub?

This episode was something else. It was great set up for the 7th gym battle of the Kalos region and I THINK Olympia might be the most powerful psychic the anime has ever shown. She could tell us Frogadier's past in detail it seems, and it seems she can see the Ash Greninja? Also that Future Sight...THAT'S FUCKING SCARY TBH! Its scary that Mewostic could use that attack from the gym and accurately strike Team Rocket. That move is just crazy. How is Ash gonna counter THAT next week?

Also someone please tell me Olympia spoke in some haiku? Its the only way she spoke in the game and I will be kinda disappointed if she does not speak in haiku at least once.

did olympia confirm mega Greninja they wher talking abou mega evolution and then they all turned to frogadier

I'm quite sure that mega evo was not confirmed. From what I understood they were just speculating about various potential meanings of her prophecy about it.

Taking a guess without subs but I'm pretty positive Kanji is right, Olympia had a vision of Frogadier becoming Ash-Greninja and when she made mention of it Sycamore speculated that it might be Mega Evolution.

An episode to build the atmosphere but I'm hyped as hell. Luckily the anime has done a better job of developing Olympia's character than the game did (although that's not hard to do, lol). She's pretty freaky but at the same time pretty interesting, although it looks like she has a stroke everytime she gets a vision. I believe they referenced the events of Mega Evolution Act 3, although I dont know what they said in regards to it obviously. Maybe she had a vision of that too? I'd assume that's what they talked about. Her Meowstic duo are on point, that Future Sight though...

First time in a while I've actually found Team Rocket to be hilarious, James' Oak fantasy was brilliant. That whole scene at the start was quite entertaining. Malva was doing a news report this episode as well, hmm.

Although maybe I love this episode more because I love the Froakie line and Frogadier is badass as hell. Olympia taking an interest in him with her visions... yes... YESSSSSS... JUST GIVE ME GRENINJA AAAAAAHHHHHH. I liked seeing his past at Sycamore's lab (holy crap that was a lot of Froakie's), seeing a few of his old trainers (I counted like six or seven). For a Frogadier fan like me this was really great to watch. :]

Oof... that is not the voice I pictured coming out of a Sableye. Also, it's great to see another Psychic-type trainer who is Psychic themselves. Coincidentally, it's a Gym Leader who has the power. It's cool that her Gym looks a bit like an astrolabe. And finally, I know Team Rocket is bumbling, but this was a quick loss even for them.

It was average. I anticipate its dub.

Last edited:
DS0308 said:
Taking a guess without subs but I'm pretty positive Kanji is right, Olympia had a vision of Frogadier becoming Ash-Greninja and when she made mention of it Sycamore speculated that it might be Mega Evolution.

Yup, that's pretty much it.

I believe they referenced the events of Mega Evolution Act 3, although I dont know what they said in regards to it obviously. Maybe she had a vision of that too? I'd assume that's what they talked about.

Yes. She used the alignment of the stars to predict the big battle between Kyogre and Groudon that took place in Act 3 and while the rest of the world experienced irregular weather patterns as a result of the battle Gojika was able to do something to help shield the Kalos Region from all this.

They never really delve into exactly that "something" was, though.

Yup, that's pretty much it.

Honestly, the XY&Z poster took away a bit of the suspense of that.

I believe they referenced the events of Mega Evolution Act 3, although I dont know what they said in regards to it obviously. Maybe she had a vision of that too? I'd assume that's what they talked about.

Yes. She used the alignment of the stars to predict the big battle between Kyogre and Groudon that took place in Act 3 and while the rest of the world experienced irregular weather patterns as a result of the battle Gojika was able to do something to help shield the Kalos Region from all this.

They never really delve into exactly that "something" was, though.

Guess we have to tune in next week to find out. And by the way, I'd love to see someone juxtapose any of Nephrite's "the stars know all" bits over Olympia's divination.

This episode was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Okay, the beginning was creepy af. A bunch of people in incidental creepy robes, floating around a room and Olympia having visions. That's weird. But, aw, Eevee playing with Serena's key was cute. I can't wait for her to be in a Showcase. What the hell was Pikachu doing with his cheeks? He scared poor Eevee. And cool, didn't expect to see Malva on TV.

What the hell is wrong with that chick attacking Sycamore and Ash? What on earth did Olympia say about them? Speaking of Olympia, wtf does she levitate all day? And damn she is harsh. Yet at the same time I lol'd when she was yelling at the attacker girl. Damn, Olympia was over dramatic when she was talking about Frogadier. With said, I was surprised to see them foreshadow his evolution and that weird form of his. And I really didn't expect to learn about some more of his backstory. That was really interesting. Lol, while everyFroakie was dancing and playing around, Ash's was doing ninja training.

Wow, only TR would be dumb enough to try to lift a giant ass sundial with their balloon. It was awesome and hilarious seeing them get blasted by Future Sight. I can't wait to see Future Sight being used in Ash's gym battle.

Overall a surprisingly interesting episode. Can't wait to see Ash battle Olympia. 7/10.

Having read/heard translations for certain parts of the episode I have to wonder how different my own reaction, and I'm sure many others', to all this would be if there wasn't any CoroCoro scans, preview trailers for XY&Z, etc. to get this information from prior to them actually showing it. There was a fair amount of foreshadowing going on here and I guess having already known about Ash-Greninja maybe the whole mini-reveal ended up losing its intended effect on me. It's still nice to see it and all that, but yeah.

The episode was meh. I liked the potrayal of Olympia, she looks pretty strong and special, and she has a very interesting and well-developed group of followers. I also liked the numerous nods to XYZ. However I think the episode lacked substance, the Froakie montage seemed more like it was done to save budget rather than providing an interesting backstory. And the climax wasn't the best, I would even have accepted a Frogadier vs Team Rocket, but no, Pikachu OHKO again.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom