• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY094: Z's Explosive Birth! What Lurks in Kalos!!

Are there two Zygarde? Is the 50% Zygarde that got attacked by Team Flare the same to the 10% Zygarde, or can there be both as the one Zygarde, since 50%+10% is 60%, so there is still 40% left? I think that ME004 said that there was more than one Core. There were two in that, so does that mean two separate Zygardes? In the opening, Team Flare has a Zygarde that is behind Alain when they are all at that volcano mountain thing. Bonnie still has Squishy, which looks like it can turn into 10%. Will both of these Zygardes verse each other?
Yes, it appears that there are two separate Zygarde. Team Flare will get one, but they'll need the other core as well.

Zygarde core needs 50% of cells to become normal Zygarde and since it's already in its 50% form that would mean that Squishy/Puni-chan only has access to the remaining 50% cells, which means it can also become Zygarde 50%.

However Squishy seemed exhausted after only turning into its 10% form, so maybe there's something hindering it.

In any case, so far, Flare's goal seems to be to getting both Zygarde cores (maybe because one core alone can't collect 100% cells?).

In any case, so far, Flare's goal seems to be to getting both Zygarde cores (maybe because one core alone can't collect 100% cells?).
It probably has to do with the duality between life and death. Complete Forme has elements from both Xerneas and Yveltal, which probably warrants two separate "brains". Oddly enough, Squishy's red stomach suggests an affinity with Yveltal.

Problems with the episode: Sawyer's appearance. He disappeared as abruptly as he appeared. But he's coming back in the future? Not sure what to think of that. I guess I'll add Xerosic's voice as well, it sounded like a combination between the Count from the Gourgeist episode and the Malamar when they go into their psychotic laughter. Mind you I found the voice to be hilarious, lol. Yeah, didn't really have anything majorly wrong with it in my opinion.

So for the stuff I liked, firstly Puni-chan. Those facial expressions were great, I loved the one it gave when the gang were talking about it being a new Pokemon, it was like "bruh have you even read CoroCoro recently?". It's so freaking tiny though, holy crap. General animation in this episode was really nice, I'd really like it if every episode had that same quality but I don't expect it to, may have just been done because it's the first episode of the new season. We'll see I guess. The Team Flare Scientists seem to have more to them than the games so that's good, it's far easier to do it using this medium anyway.

Nice episode to start the new season off with, looking forward to seeing where this goes. Lots to be excited for.

EDIT: Oh I forgot that I was super happy Noibat was used in a battle this episode, regardless of how brief it was and that it only used Supersonic.

Last edited:
So Bonnie calls Zygarde Core "Squishy"? Obvious reference time:

"I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy."

Pretty nice set-up episode... A bit similar to the Meloetta starting arc (the Flare-dan going after Puni-chan the same way the Rocket-dan went after Meloetta, and then the Pokemon travelling with them), still very nice and interesting epi... The animation was gorgeous as well.

And that Sonansu part in the end made me LOLed a lot xDDD An unexpected and genius part, kudos for the writer of this particular episode, that was incredible!

Amazing episode. Instead of being a filler-ish Arc Start like Meloetta's, Korrina's and Goomy's it stepped up the game to the ultimate level, including Zygarde 50%, Team Flare, Sawyer, Team Rocket and Zygarde 10%, all while keeping well paced.

I liked the relationship between the Flare Scientists, they seem like sisters who fight but who can organize themselves at the same time.

Seems like it's impossible to convince people to stop complaining about anime-only badges...

I NEED SUBS, but this was an awesome episode overall. Shota getting involved with the Team Flare arc should be interesting, and I can't wait for the day Alain and Ash battles. So much hype

Me, too. Did anyone notice Serena narrating the next preview? I did, but why is there no information about it on XY093 page in Bulbapedia? So curious.

It's been added to the page.

The new opening is godlike awesome. Love the scene with Ash and his Greninja, seems to be foreshadowing a conflict between the both of them.

As for the episode itself, it was awesome as well. It's good to finally see Team Flare, not sure why they thought battling a 50% Zygarde with a bunch of unevolved Pokemon was a good idea, but eh. It's also nice to see Shota/Sawyer again, even though he came out of nowhere for no real reason. Ash using Noibat to battle was also a rare scene. Overall, the episode was a great one in terms of introducing the Team Flare and Zygarde arc.

The only gripe I have with this episode was the part at the end where Ash and Alain passed each other without saying even a word. I like the foreshadowing and all, but it just doesn't make sense that Ash and co. didn't even notice a random person while walking in the woods. Eh, a trivial matter, but it still bothers me.

The ending is, well, a bit too cheerful for my taste. Actually, it seems to be too cheerful for this arc where we definitely know that things are about to get real and serious. Just imagine watching an episode where Ash and Alain are having a fierce battle that ends in a cliffhanger and then watching the ending immediately after. It just kinda ruins the mood. :p

This was a pretty good episode. Zygarde Core appearing early in the XY&Z series was the highlight of this episode.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom