• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY104: Onbat and Flaette! An Encounter in the Wind!!

Onbat finally got a decent attacking move... from the pictures, I'd thought it was Sky Attack so I was pretty disappointed to find it had only learned Acrobatics.

Ah well, at least it didn't get the overused Aerial Ace.

Also, it seems the anime doesn't like White Flower Flaette as it didn't appear among all the others in the end. What is it with this cartoon and form differences?

What was the background music of the motto? Was it the regular one or did they use the instrumental of Team Rocket's new song?

That Breloom is such a bully, trying to kill Noibat for crashing into him by accident and tries to forcefully to get the Floette to love him even though she's not very interested. It's nice to see Noibat learning acrobatics, not not areal ace since it's overused, at least it's better then tackle.

What was the background music of the motto? Was it the regular one or did they use the instrumental of Team Rocket's new song?
I think they used the new background music during Team Rocket's motto.

Onbat finally got a decent attacking move... from the pictures, I'd thought it was Sky Attack so I was pretty disappointed to find it had only learned Acrobatics.

I'm not understanding the complaint. Acrobatics in the anime has to be close to one of the strongest flying types, given that Pokemon can't hold items except for mega evolution purposes. On top of that, none of Ash's Pokemon have ever used Acrobatics.

Ash's Noctowl has Sky Attack. Acrobatics is far more unique.

I love this episode!! I was excited to see Hawlucha, I feel like it's been ages since it has made an appearance, and it was adorable to watch the reaction to Noibat's poisoning and fight!

It was nice to see that Ash remembered Floette; him forgetting moves, Pokemon and types can get frustrating.

Noibat is adorable!!! I'm happy to see that it learned a new move too & how supportive Ash was during that battle.

It may have been a filler episode but I absolutely loved the focus on this baby Pokemon! Compared to when Ash was working with Scraggy in Unova I like the relationship approach. :D

It may have been a filler episode but I absolutely loved the focus on this baby Pokemon! Compared to when Ash was working with Scraggy in Unova I like the relationship approach. :D

The episode is not a filler, since there was major event - Noibat learning a new move.

Wow, feels like forever since I've reviewed an episode. Fortunately this turned out to be a good one starring one of my favorite Pokemon, Breloom!

First of all, I like how Noibat was flying around with Talonflame in the beginning of the episode. I'm glad they're still portrayed as "flying buddies. And OMG that has to be the cutest Breloom ever!
Bonnie playing with Squishy was cute too, but only because of Bonnie. Squishy still kind of creeps me out. Especially that pupil-less eye. And OMG, Breloom was so much cuter when he was angry. I love this Breloom so much.

I loved seeing Hawlucha take off upon hearing Noibat's scream. Can't say I felt too bad for Noibat getting poisoned and attacked like that. I mean, he did destroy Breloom's gift for his one true love. He could have been pummeled even worse. I was surprised hear Ash identify Floette right away, especially since she's one of the new Pokemon he hasn't seen very much. Nice of her to heal Noibat since of course Ash and co don't carry around emergency Pecha berries or Antidotes:/ I also really liked the small detail of having Hawlucha watch Noibat fly with Floette.

I don't know why I'm only just now bringing this up, but I found it cool that Breloom had his own little Beedrill gang. And OMG Breloom was so cute acting shy around Floette. Man I almost wish it was one of Ash's/his friend's Pokemon. Pretty rude of Floette to just ignore cute Breloom like that. If she didn't like him, she could have said something instead of just turning away from him to go back to Noibat. Wow, lol, Breloom's using physical force now. Nice how Hawlucha and Noibat immediately yelled at Breloom when he tried to Pokenap Floette.

Ok, so Breloom just sets Floette on a tree branch...and she just sits there and doesn't even try to leave? That's just weird. Unless she just stuck around for Noibat, there was no reason for her to stay there since it's not like she wanted Breloom anyway. Anway, I loved seeing Breloom thrash Noibat. Also, nice that we got to see him make use of his super stretchy arms. Aw, Pikachu wanted to go save Noibat. But lol, Hawlucha says no.

Wow, a Probopass invention. So, I guess it was supposed to sniff out Breloom and Floette or something like that. Weird. Good thing Noibat can find pokemon on his own. Also good that TR decided to just sit around and get drunk as opposed to actually doing something with the Pokemon they captured:/

Idk why, but I was really shocked that Clemont let Bonie go off with Noibat to try to rescue Breloom. I thought he'd at least tell her to be careful or something with how protective he is. Oh well, Really glad to see X-Scissor being used again from Hawlucha. I almost forgot that he knew that. Is it just me or has Clemont only commanded Luxray to use Swift recently? What the hell happened to his electric-type moves? I've literally been seeing nothing but stars lately. Well, to end off this paragraph talking about moves, I'm glad Noibat learned Acrobat. That's certainly not a move I would have predicted for him to learn, which is great. Better than something overused like Gust or Aerial Ace. Breloom looks really weird with his arms crossed.

I hated the way Floette left. Once again she ignored Breloom for Noibat giving no reason. Then she literally got blown away by the wind and happened to join a giant traveling group of Floette. It wasn't even that she knew they were coming and planned of going with them. It was just a random, spontaneous thing and I hated that. I just feel there could have been a much better way to send her off after everything that happened. And poor cute Breloom. I really felt bad for him. At least Hawlucha was there to comfort him.

Overall a nice, enjoyable episode, mainly due to cute-loom. Oh and Noibat 8/10.

The episode is not a filler, since there was major event - Noibat learning a new move.

Agreed. Filler is when no new move is learned, major battle fought, evolution or capture done, or new motive or destination aimed

I don't think learning a new move is enough to make the episode not filler personally.

This episode was nothing special, but it did give Noibat much needed focus. Since the one episode where it starred immediately after it's hatching, several other Pokemon have completely eclipsed it with their spotlight (Serena's Eevee. Ash's Greninja, Bonnie's Zygarde). Which is a shame given how much potential it's freshly hatched story line had.

Which partly amounts to my disappointment with this episode. So much happened which can only be explained off screen, such as:
~When did Noibat get so nimble at flying?
~When did Noibat get so comfortable with battling? And battling without instruction from it's trainer?
~Where did that stamina come from that allowed it to go toe to toe with Breloom?

If this is the route that they're going to take with Noibat, where every 15 or so episodes it gets focus and then suddenly evolution, it will only leave me with a shallow cop-out feeling. All of Ash's other Kalos Pokemon got their necessary development and battle experience (Goodra might have ate a few Rare Candies), thus Noibat should be no different.

That said, it was nice to see it animated. It learning Acrobatics suits it well, as it zips through the sky anyway. Brilliantly as an insert song seemed so out of place; I would have preferred some variation of Volt or Mad Paced Getter.

The second point of criticism about this episode is that I feel the writer's missed out on an opportunity with Jessie and a Floette. She clearly wanted one to use for her Tripokalons and there were so many to choose from. If she couldn't at least battle and catch one the typical way, they at least could have had a Floette drift towards Team Rocket and decide to join the group (which also would continue the running gag of how easily they acquire their Kalos Pokemon).

Jessie could have had the same dynamic that James had with his cutesy Pokemon, in which she would only utilize it for Performances and never battles. The "cute team of Gourgeist & Floette" she said? I really wanted that to become a reality.

Lastly, the Breloom irked me to no end. It was literally a combination of the earlier wild Grumpig's jerkassery and the earlier wild Quilladin's desperate infatuation. Together, it was a nasty mix reminiscent of someone imposing their will upon someone else without consent. Regardless, next week's episode should be much better.

*Sidenote, I'm positive Luxray forgot all of it's other moves, and only knows Swift.

As of this episode, it's officially been 100 episodes since James caught ANY Pokemon, and Inkay.

Apparently this is the first episode of XYZ where all of the main characters have their Pokemon in an episode. Neat.

Because of this episode, the poster for XYZ isn't canon due to the fact Noibat was an Noivern while Eevee was not.
Eevee is speculated to be evolving into Sylveon (obviously cuz promotion hurr durr). If Eevee is evolving next week though, and Noibat was a Noivern in the XYZ poster, that automatically makes it inaccurate like Gao-Gao All Stars where Talonflame appeared as Fletchinder even when Eevee appeared.

Besides that, it's a little disappointing it took so long for Noibat to actually learn new moves; 27 episodes to be exact.

Some problems with this episode:
-The Floette barely cared for Breloom's feelings, let alone interacted with it
-This isn't exactly bad, but TR are probably drunk if Wobbuffet is wearing lipstick o_O

Good parts:
-Noibat gets some screentime
-Hawlucha and Inkay appear after the first and second episode, respectively
-I liked how the Beedrill were Breloom's servants. :)

Decent episode. 8/10

This was almost like a Johto filler (DON'T start trying to educate me as to what a filler is, we all know thank you...) in which Kinogassa was infinity% more interesting than any of the protagonists, who all did absolutely nothing. Onbat's new "move" is just it flying around - it could already do that!

Don't get me wrong though - I enjoyed plenty of Johto fillers and this is no exception. The TRio saved this episodes as far as I'm concerned from being the Kinogassa show. I think this was the closest we've seen of them yet behaving as if it were DP again!

Great to see Nosepass again as well, if only we can now have an in-the-flesh appearance of it & Moustachepass!

Hands up who spotted AZ's Flaette at the end?

Brilliantly as an insert song seemed so out of place; I would have preferred some variation of Volt or Mad Paced Getter.

.........they've learned nothing from the last time they did this.........

This was a good episode, it's been too long since Onbat got something and it finally leanred another move (loved it when Kira Kira played during that, it's a great song, good beat and another reason which will be off-topic...). The only negative I have was that Kinogassa really bothered me, it's actually a Pokémon I really like from its design, but this one was trying to force Floette to be his girlfriend - nobody can defend that - when Floette didn't harbour the same feelings for him and so I'm glad she didn't get together with Kinogassa at the end (what a bad message that would have sent if she had).

As a Breloom fan, I'm rather disappointed with how this one was handled. It makes Ash's Oshawott look like the most considerate creature in the world. Absolutely nothing like the kickass Breloom that May's Blaziken battled as a newly evolved Combusken.
I'm glad to actually see Noibat get some development and a decent move for once though, since I was going to be seriously annoyed if we had the Noivern thrown at us without that growth.
And to bring this old horse up, this episode isn't a filler. Fillers are where nothing happens. A new move was learned here, therefore this episode is not a filler. Because something happened. End of.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom