• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY106: The Strongest Mega Battle! Gekkouga VS Mega Lizardon!!

The episode was good overall...I didn't like Shota being 1-shotad again, but I can see his team doing good things when Kalos League comes.
The AshxAlain battle didn't live up to the hype though. It seems Ash didn't sustain any damage whatsoever from Mega Lizardon's Blast Burn, which doesn't make a lot of sense since he felt the blow against Team Flare.
Will watch again when its subbed because I think we had some development on "Satoshi-Gekkouga" thanks to Shota's inquisitiveness.

Nice episode.

It's really annoying that Sawyer's Sceptile is his only decent Pokemon. His Sheldon and Honedge were complete duds here.

Was Ash explaining what happened earlier to Sawyer? Nice touch to add Serena's Sylveon and Bonnie playing with her Pokemon to the scene, too.
Would've been nicer if TR was shown doing something Flare-related this episode to build up for the upcoming confrontation.

As for the battle itself. I agree that the battle didn't really live up to its hype. I was surprised that it ended so quickly, I did not expect Greninja to faint that fast. As for the Ash-Greninja damage thing, I had a feeling that Greninja intentionally changed to its normal form, but it might be a stretch.

What is Team Flare up to. Looks like they're creating the weapon, with Mega Evolution energy and the Z-cells. But how do they plan to use that thing?

Did anyone realize the team set up satoshi had against shota is the same line up as when they had their first 3 .vs. 3 match in kunoe city?

The ultimate weapon? AZ should appear. Nice episode it will be an interesting battle at the league Ash vs Sawyer.

The ultimate weapon? AZ should appear. Nice episode it will be an interesting battle at the league Ash vs Sawyer.
I don't think that's the ultimate weapon, the ultimate weapon was built by AZ himself. The weapon we saw in the episode looks like it's built by Team Flair themselves.

Pretty good episode. Kind of figured that Alain would win. Nice to see a couple of evolutions and a new pokemon for Sawyer.

The plot of this episode was paper thin (at best). As predicted by all, trying to cram so much into one episode resulted in all strands of the story being underwhelming. I had to lol that Blast Burn had 0 effect when every Satoshi fan ever was surely hoping for some epic fan-service-by-suffering, myself included.

I am quite happy to see Shouta be a complete punching bag and tbh Hitotsuki vs Pikachu made me laugh out loud. But sad to see this battle reduced to little more than a cold opening - isn't Shouta Satoshi's #1 rival atm? Love Jukain's face when it was cemented into the wall looooooooooool and did anyone else notice that rude little penis between Geckouga's legs?! That is surely not acceptable in this show!!!

This music had an issue with music. Part a. is that it played a lot of lovely & underused orchestrated music (what was the woodwind ?bassoon piece playing in the pokemon centre?) but part b. is that some of it was too loud and I stopped paying attention to the episode (part of which was because I found it boring tbf) and worst of all part c. IKU Z playing so loudly, TWICE, with lyrics when people are speaking and it is the current OP! Just, why?

Couple of mysteries of the week: why do characters always leave a place of safety at sunset? (Shouta in this episode, Satoshi.co at the end of many episodes!) And how did barefoot Satoshi get through that broken window without cutting himself?

2 things I loved, 1. Pikachu not looking that happy during discussion over Satoshi & Geckouga's bond and 2. TRio's "Good Morning!" Hope they stop using the NEW ED from next week onwards as the motto music because it really does not work, especially the version w/lyrics.

Kinda disappointed to see not only Sawyer get tossed around as always, but to see Ash lose to Alain. I just hate that character and he still seems as OP as ever. I don't think I've hated a character this much since Paul. Interesting stuff though with Team Flare and it seems like poor Chespie is still sick. Did Greninja abandon the Ash-Greninja form also?

lol Sometimes I forget how unreal this show can be... Not that it bothers me and all, it's just it's so impossible to happen I tend to start scratching my head looking for answers.

Like how NO ONE in the whole PokeCen woke up after Trio broke into one of its huge windows? I know that the sound of glass breaking's very high and pretty disturbing (a tree falling in my school and breaking windows during a thunderstorm reminds me that just fine)... Really, it should've got everyone to the scene right away.
I know I'm questioning the same show that's know for reseting its own characters as a new saga begins and allows them to be dumb enough to fall for disguises everytime, but still...

So I'm just going to start off by saying Shota is nowhere near Ash's level yet. Ash absolutely demolished Shota's team. Sceptile was the only one capable of putting up a fight. Well until Greninja transformed that is. Although I'm pretty sure Shota will beat Ash in a battle before the League begins.

Alain's Mega Poke power reader chart device skyrocketed because of the Greninja vs Sceptile fight. Even though Greninja hadn't transformed yet. I think it's pretty much confirming Greninja's transformation is similar to Mega Evolution but at the same time not the exact same thing.

I honestly feel the battle between Alain and Ash would have been longer if TR wasn't there to eat up precious screen time again. I don't understand why they didn't just make the introduction between Alain, TR in next weeks episode. Where it's an episode focused on TR, TF.

We finally get to see Team Flare's weapon. It's kind of scary that they were able to change an entire island's landscape with just a few Zygarde cells that aren't even considered pokemon in their stage. I can only imagine the canon's power with a 100% Zygarde giving it juice.

Overall a well done episode that kind of disappointed in the end. Since the Alain vs. Ash battle was a lot shorter than expected. 8.5/10 in my books.

Last edited:
The only thing with Flare is that nothing about their activity in this episode was scary (or even evil)... Their weapon made a tree grow massive, I mean, it just doesn't have the same fear-factor to it as genocide would!

The only thing with Flare is that nothing about their activity in this episode was scary (or even evil)... Their weapon made a tree grow massive, I mean, it just doesn't have the same fear-factor to it as genocide would!
I would agree making a tree grow massively isn't scary. Although I'm highly sure making a tree grew massively isn't their true goal. lol.

The thing about a giant tree being created from an energy device of Team Flare is that such ability to do such a thing can easily be used as a weapon and destroy life in favor of its new matrix. Be it the tree or the device, it's quite clear that Team Flare is not far off from a genocidal campaign. It kinda reminds me of that Malamar's evil doomsday device in XY.

This episode was kind of anticlimatic.
I don't know the point of Shota, he's terrible. Ash OHKOed his entire team, pretty much?
And the battle with Alain was over just as fast. And Ash didn't faint when Greninja did? I'm calling bs

Hifen said:
The AshxAlain battle didn't live up to the hype though.

What hype? It was shown as a thing that was going to happen but then...that's it. None of the promotional material I saw acted like it was going to be this big epic battle that will change the history of the TV series; it was just "oh yeah, they're gonna meet up soon."

It's also extremely obvious that this wasn't going to be their only battle. Just their first.

It seems Ash didn't sustain any damage whatsoever from Mega Lizardon's Blast Burn, which doesn't make a lot of sense since he felt the blow against Team Flare.

It's even doubly weird when you look it up and discover that Tomioka Atsuhiro actually wrote both episodes. And on top of that Tomioka is also credited with Series Construction! There really was no excuse.

Will watch again when its subbed because I think we had some development on "Satoshi-Gekkouga" thanks to Shota's inquisitiveness.

Not really...it's basically just "What is it?" "I don't really know."

ii kanji said:
c. IKU Z playing so loudly, TWICE, with lyrics when people are speaking and it is the current OP! Just, why?

XY&Z seems to be the unofficial Satoshi Gekkouga theme. I think that's fine.

And it's not like they have to limit themselves to using songs that aren't currently openings / endings. DreaDrea got used a lot for Serena when that was still being used as the ending theme, for example.

Couple of mysteries of the week: why do characters always leave a place of safety at sunset?

Not just this week...that's something they've been doing for 20 years :p And no, I don't get it either.

Hope they stop using the NEW ED from next week onwards as the motto music because it really does not work, especially the version w/lyrics.

I think the version without lyrics works well but I think if they're going to change the music so abruptly then they should give them new animation as well.

Perpetual_Phoenix said:
I honestly feel the battle between Alain and Ash would have been longer if TR wasn't there to eat up precious screen time again.

I knew one of these comments would show up!

The Rocket-Dan actually played a very important role in this episode in that they finally gave Alan a way to introduce himself to Satoshi. Notice how, during the first half of the episode, Alan kept awkwardly hanging around Satoshi without actually going up to him to say hi? Especially when Satoshi was healing his pokemon at the Pokemon Center? And then Alan apparently stayed in the area the rest of the day, again without saying a word to Satoshi?

Alan had so many chances to go up to Satoshi and challenge him to a battle but he didn't. It's almost like he was scared for some reason.

But the Rocket-Dan's attack gave Alan the chance he was looking for to introduce himself and show off his Mega Lizardon. It allowed him to show Satoshi that he was a capable Trainer so that when he asked for a battle later on he would be less likely that he would be rejected. Satoshi would have accepted regardless because that's just the kind of guy he is but Alan had no way of knowing that. So he waited until the timing was right.

And the Satoshi vs. Alan battle itself was fine. With only one pokemon each (I have no idea why the writers don't give Alan more than one pokemon) and with this being meant as an introductory battle rather than THE BATTLE TO END ALL BATTLEZ!!!1!!1! there's only so much you can really do.

Underwhelming episode imo. Sawyer's team was the Meg once again and Alain slayed Ash and Greninja effortlessly. That's kind of all that happened in 22 minutes. :/

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom